PDA

View Full Version : Steve DeBerg - saw a segment on NFL Network

Mile High Mania
09-30-2004, 06:39 AM
I never really sat down and looked at his NFL career. He had marginal success, but damn ... he had a hell of a ride through the NFL while playing with (often mentoring) many of the games greatest QBs. Then, he retires, comes back to the Falcons and makes it to the SuperBowl.

I think I lost the fact that DeBerg was actually a backup in that game in all the Reeves-Shanahan-Elway crap.

It was really interesting. Finally - something worth watching over there.

Braincase
09-30-2004, 08:05 AM
I always looked at DeBerg as the Greatest Journeyman QB of All Time. Who else compares? Jeef George? Please!

ceebz
09-30-2004, 08:15 AM
I thought it was interesting when he said that out of all the qb's he played with, Elway was the only one he didn't get along with.

Hoover
09-30-2004, 08:17 AM
That was a great show! Very Cool, I always liked Deberg

KC Jones
09-30-2004, 08:23 AM
I remember several of us arguing strongly for DeBerg as an OC during the Jimmy Raye years.

I don't think there's ever been or ever will be a better play action handoff faking QB. He routinely confused the cameramen as well as the defense about who had the ball.

shaneo69
09-30-2004, 09:05 AM
He was introduced with the rest of the Chiefs alumni at the game on Sunday. I don't think I remember seeing him in past years.

Funny thing, he was still wearing that big cast on his pinkie finger.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Deberg!!! Thats my BOY!!! Your my Boy Blue!

Yea..hes probably one of the most underrated QB's ever.....and he played a big hand in building this franchise back to respectablility in the late 80's and early 90's.....Ill never forget that playoff game he played against Miami with that broken pinky finger......and he was deadly on the play action fakes......the best ive ever seen....I laugh when the commentators say that Payton Manning is the best at this.......he doesnt even compare to some of the fakes that Deberg made.

gblowfish
09-30-2004, 10:24 AM
He wasn't the most talented guy, but he was the toughest Chiefs QB ever. In 1989 he took snaps with a metal rod thru his pinkie to finish the season. Imagine every time that ball was snapped into his hand....OUCH! He was also a major funster, especially around Halloween. He really had a tough road, he'd lose his job everywhere he went. When he was in Denver, they got Elway. He was in Tampa Bay, they got Testaverde, he was in SF, they got Montana. And I think either Bono or Dave Kreig followed him here in KC, can't remember which.

He a good guy, and I think Trent Green has a lot of his leadership and likeability. Trent may throw some INT's, but he'll also throw a block on a reverse..he's not afraid to hit people. DeBerg was the same way. It was nice to see him back for Alumni Day, I got to shake his hand.

ChiefsFanatic
09-30-2004, 10:44 AM
here is a good article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/b_duane_cross/08/11/sub.sub.qb/) about Deberg.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Remember back in like 1989...Marty's first year here, it was a battle between Deberg and Steve Peuller? Thats pretty comical now...

shaneo69
09-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Remember back in like 1989...Marty's first year here, it was a battle between Deberg and Steve Peuller? Thats pretty comical now...

And Ron Jaworski.

ChiefsFanatic
09-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Deberg threw more yardage as a Chief than anywhere else in his career.

Rain Man
09-30-2004, 11:02 AM
I thought it was interesting when he said that out of all the qb's he played with, Elway was the only one he didn't get along with.

I'm curious. What did he say?

Hammock Parties
09-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Waiting for frazod's obligatory broken pinkie worship comment....

Skip Towne
09-30-2004, 11:35 AM
I always looked at DeBerg as the Greatest Journeyman QB of All Time. Who else compares? Jeef George? Please!
Earl Morrall, Frank Reich

cdcox
09-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Deberg ranks 4th in all time passing yards for Kansas City behind Dawson, Kenney and Green. Green passed him earlier this season.

Deberg's passer rating of 96.3 for the 1990 season is the 4th best single season mark by any Chief and the best for any Chief not named Dawson. In that season he threw for 3444 yds, which is the 6th best single season total for any Chief.

Going into the season, Deberg accounted for almost 9% of the passing yardage, 8% of the passing touchdowns and 11.5% of the interceptions in Chief history.

Did you know he once played with a broken pinky?

Rain Man
09-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Earl Morrall, Frank Reich

Chris Chandler has to be pretty high on the list now, too.

ZootedGranny
09-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I saw this on ESPN2, its a really good feature. They even have footage of the rod sticking out of his finger, and extensive shots of the enormous bandage around his finger.

My favorite part is when its revealed that his nickname across the league is "Psycho."

Rain Man
09-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Psycho? What's the story there?

ZootedGranny
09-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately they didn't explain it. They showed DeBerg coming into to play the 49ers, and he ran into Steve Young before the game. Young runs up and yells "PSYCHO!" and Steve Mariucci just looks and says "What? Psycho?"