PDA

View Full Version : A Vote of Confidence for Chiefs Management.

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Should each of the following stay or be released next year? Vote once for each person.

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 11:27 AM
For the record, I think this is the strongest coaching staff the Chiefs have had in 30+ years. I hope they all stay.

As for Carl, I've been a supporter of his forever, but I'm starting to sway. I gave him a lot of credit and thanks for rebuilding the team from the disasters of the 70s and 80s, but it's becoming apparent that he can't build a championship team. It may be Carl's time.

2bikemike
10-01-2004, 11:29 AM
I would like to see how they handle this current crisis before lopping off their heads. Last year I would have said retain them all except G-Rob.
Now if they can some how salvage this season I will give them next year to get er done. But if they can't salvage the season I would fire em all. I think that Gunther would get screwed in the deal but I would be ready for a complete regime change.

PastorMikH
10-01-2004, 11:31 AM
I voted for Carl and DV to go based on the provision that we are not contenders in the playoffs. If we are contenders, then they should stay.

I would like to see added to the poll our staff that evaluates talent. I feel this is an area that we are falling short in.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
10-01-2004, 11:35 AM
I just don't see Lamar ever getting rid of Carl. They were in Springfield this week for the Missouri sports hall of fame, and I can't remember exactly what Lamar said, but it was basically that Carl is doing a great job and he is his guy.
I think Carl will be with the chiefs as long as he wants to.

PastorMikH
10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
I just don't see Lamar ever getting rid of Carl. They were in Springfield this week for the Missouri sports hall of fame, and I can't remember exactly what Lamar said, but it was basically that Carl is doing a great job and he is his guy.
I think Carl will be with the chiefs as long as he wants to.

I do agree completely with that. And Carl knows this too.

jspchief
10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Out of the four people in the poll, only has had more than enough time to prove he can get the job done.

DV and Saunders have steadily improved this team up until the beginning of this season. I chose undecided because they haven't even completed 25% of the season yet. There's plenty of time to get things going.

Gunther obviously hasn't had enough time to show anything yet. I didn't think he would change things overnight (hoped maybe).

Carl has seen this team be put in position to be a true superbowl contender numerous times, and has been unable to cherry on top every time.

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Wow, the support so far for most people is much lower than I expected.

whoman69
10-01-2004, 12:26 PM
I would send CP packing. I too remember how bad this team was in the 70s and 80s but the bottom line is that this guy can never bring us enough talent to win the SB. He resigns mediocre players to extreme contracts, reaches for tweeners and coulda/woulda/shoulda beens on draft day too often. Top free agents don't want to come here because there is not a notion that if a guy signs here he will get a ring. And he'd be right. CP does several things extremely well, putting a championship team on the field is not one of them.

Mr. Laz
10-01-2004, 12:37 PM
carl should stay... but lose his GM title

the entire player personnel dept. should be fired

the coaching staff can stay, but someone needs to kick Vermeil is his crusty ol' nuts and tell him to wake up and focus. He's being sloppy.

then we can hire Scott Pioli as our new GM and let him rehire the personnel depth.

ChiTown
10-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Carl did some really great things for this organization in the 90's. I mean, really great things. However, he probably should have been shown the door when Marty left, and at the very least, shortly after the Gun hire. That was baffling beyond belief.

Thanks for all that you have done, but CP, it's time for you to go.

Thig Lyfe
10-01-2004, 02:03 PM
CP doesn't seem to want to open the wallet for FAs and he's horrible at drafting. He should leave.

BigRedChief
10-01-2004, 02:12 PM
this thread is worthless without the "Gaz" option.

tk13
10-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Everyone knows I love our coaching staff.... the HC and his coordinators all have a good track record in doing their current jobs. Carl's alright, I'm just kind of ambivalent about him. His track record for regular season success is excellent, but you have to go beyond that at some point. I mean even if we had won a couple of those divisional games and just gotten to the AFC title game, I think it would look a little different. I also am not sure that even Carl can overcome the fact that we're freaking cursed as a franchise. Yes our playoff teams have had weaknesses, but every playoff team has a weakness... the difference is that we're lucky enough that the weakness totally implodes in the playoffs. I mean the unnamed kicker sucked we all know, but he was able to elevate his level of suckage to a whole new level when the playoffs started... same thing with the defense last year. Same thing with Morton and the drops... he wasn't good, but I don't think he was ever quite that bad until the playoff game.

Then you go and look at the fact that Priest fumbled, Gonzo had a PI call, Morten missed a FG less than 40 yards. Seriously, how many times did each one of those individual occurances happen at some point during the season? What are the odds that all three would happen within what, 5 minutes of game time within each other? Priest had only fumbled once and Morten hadn't missed a FG under 40 all year... that's not Carl's fault.

Either way, the entire lot of them has two years, including this one. I believe that's what the coaches were signed through and that's how Carl has been setting up the contracts. We knew we were going into a tough schedule and you never know about injuries, so I guess we've set it up for a two year window. At this point I don't have a problem with Vermeil being signed beyond that, but that's the window he wants right now I guess.

Mr. Laz
10-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Then you go and look at the fact that Priest fumbled, Gonzo had a PI call, Morten missed a FG less than 40 yards. Seriously, how many times did each one of those individual occurances happen at some point during the season? What are the odds that all three would happen within what, 5 minutes of game time within each other? Priest had only fumbled once and Morten hadn't missed a FG under 40 all year... that's not Carl's fault.

all just excuses...

if our defense has been good enough to make a couple of stops then those things wouldn't of matters.

part of job the front office is suppose to do is make sure the team is good enough to withstand a few injuries and a few unusual mistakes and still be good enough to win the game.

we weren't... and haven't been(come playoff time) in almost 10 years.