PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it stink if your house was haunted by dead Bigfoots?

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 12:34 PM
The article is somewhat lackluster, but I like the idea of ghost sasquatches running around. That guy is a true out-of-the-box thinker.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6145077/

Bigfoot stalkers on forked path
Eastern sasquatch establishment hunts for respect

By David A. Fahrenthold

Updated: 12:39 a.m. ET Oct. 1, 2004 William Dranginis says he saw Bigfoot near Culpeper, Va., on a spring day in 1995. He and two friends were using metal detectors in a field when a seven-foot-tall thing with thick hair and bulging muscles jumped from behind a tree.

Soon afterward, Dranginis reported his sighting to one of the nation's premier Bigfoot researchers in the Pacific Northwest.

The guy laughed at him, Dranginis says. Not because Dranginis was saying that a species of giant primates might be living in America, undetected by modern science.

Dranginis was rebuffed because he was saying they lived in Virginia.

"They basically said I was drinking," Dranginis recalled. "'Stay out of the woods, you idiot.'"

It was his initiation into the East Coast Bigfoot hunters, a group whose members say they are a put-upon subculture in the already marginalized world of sasquatch researchers.

On the one hand, East Coast Bigfooters say they have to fight discrimination from western colleagues who think the creature doesn't live east of the Rocky Mountains. On the other, they have to deal with sighting reports from a more urban population, which includes some who are unfamiliar with wildlife and apt to mistake a black bear for the missing link.

Through it all, one thought keeps them going: Something really might be out there — and somebody in the East might find it first.

"The first carcass gets all the marbles," said Bob Chance of Harford County, Md.

• Metro section

Many of the East's leading Bigfoot experts converged Saturday in Jeannette, Pa., a small town outside Pittsburgh, for the 2004 East Coast Bigfoot Conference.

Anybody familiar with the West Coast's last big conference, the International Bigfoot Symposium in September in Willow Creek, Calif., would have noticed the difference. That convention had an admission fee of $125, three days of events and two barbecue dinners.

The East Coast version, held in an empty nightclub, charged $5 and had someone serving hot dogs in the back.

Still, there was no shortage of true belief. Devotees wore Bigfoot T-shirts and hats, and hawked books and plaster casts of supposed sasquatch footprints.

One of the speakers was Travis McHenry of Norfolk, who said beforehand that he aimed to move the East Coast Bigfoot community closer to the West Coast mainstream on one important point.

The point: On the West Coast, many believe Bigfoot to be a flesh-and-blood animal, not a ghost or an alien. But he did offer this compromise: Couldn't there be ghosts of dead Bigfoots roaming around as well?

This kind of talk reinforces the view of researchers in the West that the East is an amateur scene, said Matt Moneymaker of California, who heads the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization.

"They're kind of at the stage where Bigfoot research ... had been stuck in, like, the mid-'80s," he said.

The West's Bigfoot movement is older and larger and provided some of the movement's most cherished evidence, including many footprints and a famous 1967 film purporting to show a Bigfoot walking through a California forest.

But folks on the East Coast say there is no shortage of sightings here. Mark Opsasnick, an author from Prince George's County, notes in his Maryland Bigfoot Digest that hairy beasts were spotted near Baltimore in the 1970s: the Sykesville Monster in 1973, the Harewood Park Monster in '76 and a string of sightings in Harford County.

More recently, construction workers building Arundel Mills in Hanover in 2000 said they saw a 12-foot-tall animal with glowing red eyes in nearby woods.

For those intent on finding the creature, however, "sasquatchery" in the East is not easy.

First, there is the time constraint: They need hours to spend in the woods looking for evidence. But most everybody has a day job. Dranginis designs surveillance equipment, Chance sells Christmas trees, and McHenry is an intelligence analyst for the Navy.

Another problem, the researchers say, is that many people in the East aren't familiar with either the Bigfoot legend or the forests the creature might inhabit. McHenry recalled one woman who called to say she saw a werewolf.

He and others reassured her that it was probably a sasquatch. "She was glad, because to her Bigfoot was something more real than a werewolf," he said.

Then there are the insults from their Western counterparts, who scoff at the notion that the same species of sasquatch spotted there — or perhaps a three-toed cousin called the skunk ape — might live on the East Coast.

But the biggest difficulty of Bigfoot-watching, here and in the West, remains the elusiveness of the quarry.

Nobody knows this better than Dranginis. After being snubbed when he tried to report his sighting, the Manassas man used his expertise in surveillance to turn a minibus into the $50,000 Mobile Bigfoot Research Lab.

The vehicle, with the license plate VA YETI — a reference to the Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas — has infrared cameras and night-vision cameras on board. Dranginis also has tiny cameras and microphones that can be left in the woods. He has spent years deploying this equipment.

So far, no Bigfoot.

Instead, Dranginis says he has found clues that might be near-misses: a leaf placed over his camera lens, a clump of smelly, red hair on the forest floor.

"I came on board thinking I could solve this problem in a couple years," he said. "But they end up winning."

dilligaf
10-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Would real Bigfoots make you feel any better?

Hydrae
10-01-2004, 01:08 PM
I don't know about East Coast but I know that there have been many sightings in Arkansas and Oklahoma. That is certainly east of the Rockies anyway. :shrug:

Megbert
10-01-2004, 02:10 PM
I thought Steve Austin got rid of Sasquatch back in the 70's?

B2chiefsfan
10-01-2004, 02:17 PM
I thought Steve Austin got rid of Sasquatch back in the 70's?

Who played the role of Sasquatch??

:hmmm:

I know this one...:)

Uncle Jesse
10-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Typically aren't most "supposed" hauntings done by some type of deceased creature or being?

When is the last time you heard of a "live haunting"?

ZootedGranny
10-01-2004, 02:22 PM
How could a sasquatch have a ghost when it has no soul? They are terrible creatures created for the sole purpose of raping men and watching Road Rules marathons.

Katipan
10-01-2004, 02:31 PM
None of our Bigfoots ever stunk.

JimNasium
10-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Yes, I would assume that dead bigfoots would stink.

Megbert
10-01-2004, 02:43 PM

My hats off to you. I had to do some research to find out. I thought I knew but didn't. I do remember as a kid I got to run in place at Universal Studios and they projected a desert image behind me and it looked like I was running 60mph just like Steve Austin!!!

Demonpenz
10-01-2004, 02:45 PM
:redface:

seclark
10-01-2004, 02:50 PM
if my house was haunted by dead bigfoots, i'd have someone to blame for pissing on the bathroom floor at night when my wife blames me for it.
sec

Pennywise
10-01-2004, 02:51 PM
if my house was haunted by dead bigfoots, i'd have someone to blame for pissing on the bathroom floor at night when my wife blames me for it.
sec

And all those curlys stuck in the soap.

seclark
10-01-2004, 02:52 PM
And all those curlys stuck in the soap.
yeah...that's the ticket.
sec

MOhillbilly
10-01-2004, 03:27 PM
My rap sheet says im 6-10.:hmmm:

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 03:28 PM

Who? Who?!?! I have to know!

KC Kings
10-01-2004, 03:32 PM
That is pretty cool that the group exist. Just think, that poor lady was living in fear that there were warewolves running around her back yard. Luckily she could rest at ease when she was told it was only a bigfoot.

There were some scientists.
Trying to figure out the Sasquatch riddle,
Then they figured out it was a missing link.

In search of Sasquatch,
that was a kick-ass In Search Of
with Leonard Nimoy
kickin' out the jams...ha!

He captured imagination,
Of people all around the globe.

His name was Sasquatch, so I'm told.

His legend's ancient
in the ancient scribe of the indian tribe.
Apache tribe.

Scientists have proven that the Sasquatch, he is real.
Take a look at the plaster cast of his foot, now you know he's real.
Listen real close to the audio tape, not human no you know he's real.
Couldn't be a man in gorilla suit, no ****in' way.
No, you know he's real.
Real, real, real real, real, real, really real, real.

--Interrupted by J.B. & K.G. talking to Sasquatch--

Sasquatch,
We know your legend's real.
Sasquatch,
We know your love is real.
Sasquatch,
You and Tenacious D, are...real.

David.
10-01-2004, 03:33 PM
My rap sheet says im gay.:hmmm:

ROFL cross-thread humor cracks me up.

B2chiefsfan
10-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Who? Who?!?! I have to know!

ANDRE THE GIANT!!!!!

Ta DA!!

Ghostof
10-01-2004, 03:36 PM
On a related note

BEST BIGFOOT SITE EVER

http://www.bfro.net

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/state_listing.asp?state=ks

LOL, Miami county is listed along with a few more..

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 03:39 PM
ANDRE THE GIANT!!!!!

Ta DA!!

Whoa, really? It all makes sense, now that I think about it.

MOhillbilly
10-01-2004, 03:39 PM
ROFL cross-thread humor cracks me up.

:cuss:fugger
:thumb:nice one though,almost makes up for the half dozen lame ones ya posted on the other thread.

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 03:41 PM
On a related note

BEST BIGFOOT SITE EVER

http://www.bfro.net

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/state_listing.asp?state=ks

LOL, Miami county is listed along with a few more..

This is valuable information for those of us at risk of encountering a Bigfoot.

Are they dangerous?
There are literally thousands of credible eyewitness accounts of sasquatch sightings. Most are from the last hundred years, but some reports extend back several centuries. These reports describe either sightings from a distance or close range encounters. Many of the latter describe situations where backpackers and campers have been approached at night or followed (paralleled) along a trail.

Sasquatches have likely had many opportunities to attack humans. However, only two reports describe violent attacks on humans and just one describes the killing of a human -- the story told by President Teddy Roosevelt in his book, "The Wilderness Hunter" (1890).

A chapter in Roosevelt's book recounts the story of two trappers who were stalked by a sasquatch-like animal in a remote region believed to be in present day Wyoming or Montana. One of the trappers fired his rifle at the sasquatch during their first night in a new location, apparently missing, but the stalking continued. The trappers' camp was twice found ransacked, this occurring during the day while the trappers were out checking the beaver traps they had set.

After the second night, the trappers decided to vacate the area. Prior to their departure, while collecting their traps, the men split up. One was delayed for hours as he prepared beaver caught in the last of the traps, the other headed straight back to camp. His body was found by his partner later that day near the campfire. The dead man had a broken neck. The neck showed teeth or claw marks, but the body was not eaten.

There are no modern reports of humans being injured or killed by a sasquatch.

Although retreating appears to be the typical response of a sasquatch to the presence of humans, many credible reports describe after dark harassment of campers and rural property owners by animals believed to be sasquatches. The harassment activity is usually limited to screams, crashing and snapping of tree limbs and brush, and occasionally the throwing of rocks. There is no way of knowing the purpose for this, but perhaps the common reaction of humans provides a good clue -- people usually get frightened and vacate the area.

While the entire body of reports strongly suggests that sasquatches do not make a practice of harming humans, the same body of evidence suggests they do hunt other animals. Among the animals that appear to be prey are deer, elk, raccoons, beavers, ducks, and rodents.

Sasquatches are also known to kill dogs that chase or threaten them. Dogs often flee or cower in their presence, but some dogs are more aggressive and sometimes receive very brutal treatment as a result. Aggressive dogs have been found torn apart, with sasquatch tracks around the remains.

Witnesses often ask the BFRO if sasquatches are a threat to themselves, their families, or their property. The following opinions are based on behavior patterns that have been consistent for decades, if not centuries:

THREAT TO ADULTS: Sasquatches do not attack humans, but they may stalk or harass humans in a forested area, possibly the result of a territorial conflict. Many reports describe surprise confrontations between humans and sasquatches in various circumstances. Such confrontations may trigger intimidating displays, growling, etc., but not a physical attack. There aren't enough instances of humans attacking sasquatches to reliably indicate whether this provokes more aggressive behavior.

THREAT TO CHILDREN: Several reports describe easy opportunities to attack or grab children who were not closely attended. In all such situations the sasquatches merely observed the children until they themselves were noticed by someone. Then they simply walked or ran away.

THREAT TO PROPERTY: Sasquatches are known to raid chicken coops, rabbit hutches, hog pens, and fruit orchards from time to time. There are few reports of horses or cows being attacked or bothered, but these types of livestock do sometimes get very frightened when sasquatches are nearby, according to witnesses.

THREAT TO DOGS: Sasquatches may kill aggressive dogs that chase or threaten them. Dogs that cower or flee are left alone.

SELF-PROTECTION: A bright flashlight or spotlight seems to be the most effective way to make one or more sasquatches back off and leave an area. Even warning shots are apparently not as effective as bright spotlights, especially when carried by groups of people searching a wooded area after dark. This latter response by humans tends to quickly and permanently halt any recurring harassment behavior or theft of small livestock from rural properties.

B2chiefsfan
10-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Whoa, really? It all makes sense, now that I think about it.:)

http://www.xstreamhost.com/~lwagner/bwepisodes/sbigfoot.php