PDA

View Full Version : Website design opinion wanted

Dartgod
10-01-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm redesigning our dart league's website. I would appreciate your input.

Keep in mind, this is a work in progress. Some links may not work. Just your general opinion on the design and functionability please...

Old site:

http://www.ramdarts.org

New site:

http://www.ramdarts.org/new_ram/index.htm

New site, wider table, smaller header, no frames:
http://www.ramdarts.org/new_ram/no_frames/index.shtml

Wrasse
10-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Hey...I like the new look. :)

I like the new logo as well although the top seems a little bulky maybe and I don't care for the wavey-line transition at the top to split the content and nav.

But, overall, it's an improvement (although the old site is very functional and nice as well) and looks good.

** finds it hard to critique web sites without sounding like a jerk **

:)

Saulbadguy
10-01-2004, 02:19 PM
A definate improvement, but i'm like Wrasse..the upper logo is a bit bulky. I'm running 1280x1024 (dunno if that makes a difference) and it only takes up the middle of the page, rather than extending the width of the page. I think it would look better if the upper menu/logo would extend the width of the page.

penguinz
10-01-2004, 02:26 PM
I would drop the idea of using frames. Use tables and divisions insted.

ZepSinger
10-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Run screaming from frames(use layers and tables). Lose Front Page as an editor. The new header is too big for the page.

Now that my gripes are out of the way... it's a nice looking and functional site. :thumb:

If you decide you ever want more in the way of media(Flash, streaming video, etc.) let me know..

scaretactics.com (http://www.scaretactics.com)

Dartgod
10-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the tips. I only use the frames so I can have the navigation links at the top of the page. I'll play around with it some more.

DaKCMan AP
10-01-2004, 03:59 PM
New design looks better. I would fill the entire page more though (as some have already mentioned it only taking up the middle). I'm also not crazy about the seminole colors :grr: I also second the getting rid of the frames and using tables.

good job though :thumb:

KC Dan
10-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Old one - Ghey!
New one - Kewl!!!

That's the extent of my website knowledge.

WolfDawg
10-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Lose the frames, if you want a navigation bar at the top of the screen you can use script to do it.

http://simplythebest.net/scripts/DHTML_scripts/dhtml_script_19.html

its a horizonal drop down menu that stays at the top of your browser window.

WolfDawg
10-01-2004, 05:08 PM
You might also want to think about scipting some of those pages server side as ASP files that way they can be database driven. Then you just update the database instead of changing the code on the page.

Dartgod
10-01-2004, 05:11 PM
You might also want to think about scipting some of those pages server side as ASP files that way they can be database driven. Then you just update the database instead of changing the code on the page.
That all sounds wonderful, but I'm not a web site designer. I have Front Page and can do basic design with it. I've played around with trying to update stats using a database but have had very little luck with it.

WolfDawg
10-01-2004, 05:15 PM
do you have microsoft office? if so use the mse frontpage sucks ass.

also if you want ill help you out on some simple asp stuff. At least point you in the right direction.

WolfDawg
10-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Frames are ok if they arent to big and you make sure peole dont get stuck in them. To many people open all links in the body and never target=top.

Mr. Laz
10-01-2004, 05:31 PM
New design looks better. I would fill the entire page more though (as some have already mentioned it only taking up the middle).:

yep... big empty strips on either side woudl prolly be better filled.... at least just a color.

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 05:44 PM
I'll echo what others have said about filling up the page.

I'll also add that the font for those links looks fuzzy to me. They made me lean closer to the computer to read them. Anyone else have that problem?

Dartgod
10-01-2004, 06:09 PM
I'll also add that the font for those links looks fuzzy to me. They made me lean closer to the computer to read them. Anyone else have that problem?
I noticed that myself. It's on my list of things to do..

OK, check this out. I've widened the tables to 800 pixels and changed the header. No frames also. None of the links work at this time.

http://ramdarts.org/new_ram/no_frames/index800.htm

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 06:10 PM
That new version looks pretty sharp.

Hydrae
10-01-2004, 07:30 PM
I will say I liked the scrolling news at the top of the old page which doesn't seem to be incorporated into the newer designs.

jspchief
10-01-2004, 08:15 PM
The second new version looks good. I know nothing about web design, but...can you use a different color for the background of the headers in the main body (for example "This Week in Darts") If you could use a lighter variation of the maroon color... something that compliments it. Just an idea to soften it up.

TheNextStep
10-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Totally frivolous and if you change it at all, put it really, really low on your "to do" list...

but, since you asked...

The change from "welcome to the official website of" to "the RAM dart association" takes too long. You read the first portion, pause, and then your eyes start naturally reading down the page. By the time it changes to "the RAM dart association" you're already into reading the first paragraph.

Not a big deal, by any means, but a little distracting.

Lomax
10-01-2004, 09:41 PM
An improvement. Especially with the heisted Colorado State Rams logo...

Bob Dole
10-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Ditch the frames version.

(This message brought to you by the Americans with Disabilities Act.)

Dartgod
10-01-2004, 10:13 PM
OK, maybe the final version:

http://www.ramdarts.org/new_ram/no_frames/index.htm

ZepSinger
10-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Here's another thought for your navigation bar- if your web server has the ability to handle the shtml extension, you'll be able to use include files. If so, save all your pages in shtml instead of html. Just drop the required nav code(this is the include file) into each page. Then, when you want to make a change to the nav bar in the way of graphics, hot links, etc., you just make the change once- that change will be reflected all across the website. You can use the procedure with any bits of recurring code(header, footer, sidebar, etc.). It's very time saving for the designer...

Z

Dartgod
10-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Here's another thought for your navigation bar- if your web server has the ability to handle the shtml extension, you'll be able to use include files. If so, save all your pages in shtml instead of html. Just drop the required nav code(this is the include file) into each page. Then, when you want to make a change to the nav bar in the way of graphics, hot links, etc., you just make the change once- that change will be reflected all across the website. You can use the procedure with any bits of recurring code(header, footer, sidebar, etc.). It's very time saving for the designer...

Z
You lost me...

morphius
10-02-2004, 10:40 AM
You lost me...
Basically you would create one file with just the header, since it is the same on every page, and then do an include in your html to add it.

It simplies it, because if you add a link or make a change, you only have to make that change in the file that is included into all of your others, instead of repeating the change in every web page.

Morphius
not sure if that clears it up at all.
www.wdvl.com if you need more help.

Dartgod
10-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Basically you would create one file with just the header, since it is the same on every page, and then do an include in your html to add it.

It simplies it, because if you add a link or make a change, you only have to make that change in the file that is included into all of your others, instead of repeating the change in every web page.

Morphius
not sure if that clears it up at all.
www.wdvl.com if you need more help.
Cool, I've implemented this into my site now. Check it out...

http://ramdarts.org/new_ram/no_frames/

Thanks for the help!

Mr. Laz
10-03-2004, 11:13 AM
yep, like the 2nd version better

looks good!! :thumb: