View Full Version : Bucs Nix Deal For McCardell

dirk digler
10-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Sorry if this is a repost.

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGBACWTQRZD.html

Bucs Nix Deal For McCardell

Bucs Nix Deal For McCardell

Published: Oct 1, 2004

TAMPA - A spokesman for holdout receiver Keenan McCardell's agent said the Bucs turned down an offer to trade McCardell to Kansas City for running back Larry Johnson on Thursday.
According to Steve Caric, a league source informed him of the offer and its rejection.

The Bucs, who have not acknowledged any offer, have no interest in Johnson, team sources said.

Earlier this week, Coach Jon Gruden reiterated his desire to have McCardell return.

``We want to get the guy in here,'' Gruden said. ``We like Keenan. We miss him, wish he was here. I'm sorry if there are feelings that are hurt. I realize we're at an impasse. No progress has been made.

``The frustrations are escalating, but we want him back. We want him back. He's part of our football team, and we need him. I want to get it done. I want to get it worked out.''

Roy Cummings

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Cripes, I hope it wasn't a straight one-for-one deal. I don't know which would be more stupid, KC offering it or Tampa turning it down.

Delano
10-01-2004, 03:52 PM
That seems credible enough...

BIG_DADDY
10-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Unfreakingbelievable, we can't seem to get anything done.

Skip Towne
10-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Dammit Carl. :cuss:

jAZ
10-01-2004, 04:12 PM
I think Tampa is satisfied with Pittman & Alstot, so I expect they don't place high value on trading for a RB.

That would be like us trading for a safety...

Mr. Laz
10-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Cripes, I hope it wasn't a straight one-for-one deal. I don't know which would be more stupid, KC offering it or Tampa turning it down.

ya ... i would think that Larry Johnson would have more value than McCardell

but then again... maybe not :sulk:

B2chiefsfan
10-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Larry Johnson

Chiefs Official 1st Round Bench Warmer

Un-F#CKING-Believable!!!!!!!!!

GAWD DAMN YOU, CARL!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wile_E_Coyote
10-01-2004, 06:14 PM
LJ had no idea how prophetic is line " this is soap opera shit" was :)

BUCS DENY NIXING MCCARDELL TRADE

http://www.pewterreport.com/

Steve Caric, a spokeperson for Tampa Bay wide receiver Keenan McCardell’s agent, told PewterReport.com on Friday that he was recently informed by a source that an offer to trade McCardell to Kansas City in exchange for running back Larry Johnson had been rejected by the Buccaneers. When asked for comment on Friday, Bucs general manager Bruce Allen deemed the nixed trade talk a "false rumor."
Copyright 2004 PewterReport.com
<HR>

Steve Caric, who is a spokeperson for Tampa Bay wide receiver Keenan McCardell’s agent, told PewterReport.com on Friday that he was recently informed by a source that an offer to trade McCardell to Kansas in exchange for running back Larry Johnson had been rejected by the Buccaneers.

When asked for comment on Friday, Bucs general manager Bruce Allen suggested there was no truth to the trade nix talk.

“As usual this rumor is false,” Allen said.

The Bucs, who placed starting tailback Charlie Garner on injured reserve on Wednesday, are not believed to be interested in trading for Johnson, who has reportedly been on the trading block for the past two weeks.

McCardell, who caught a team-high 84 passes for 1,174 yards and scored a career-high nine touchdowns en route to earning a trip to the Pro Bowl in 2003, was scheduled to earn $2.5 million this season before he opted to hold out for a new contract that would pay him like the team’s number one receiver, which would would call for approximately a $2 million annual salary increase.

Despite having a depleted group of wide receivers, the 0-3 Bucs have refused to negotiate with McCardell, citing the fact that he’s one of the NFL’s highest-paid receivers and has two years remaining on the contract he signed as a free agent back in 2002.

Caric said contract proposals sent to the Bucs from he and agent Gary Uberstine would significantly lower McCardell’s $3 million cap value this season, but the two-time Pro Bowler’s salary currently doesn’t count toward the team’s salary cap and won’t until he reports.

McCardell has said in the past that he is willing to sit out the entire 2004 season if the Bucs do not trade or release him, or meet his contract demands. After Sunday’s contest between Tampa Bay and Denver, McCardell will have missed the first four games of the 2004 regular season, which amounts to a loss of about $600,000 in game checks. McCardell has accumulated approximately $315,000 in daily fines since his holdout officially began on July 30.

-one rumor is KC is waiting till after the MNF game, If they win they will make the trade. If not ?

TEX
10-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Forget Tampa. Call Dallas... :hmmm:

BigChiefFan
10-02-2004, 12:43 PM
I don't know how true this is, but I heard there is already a deal in place, but Carl is waiting to see if we win on Monday or not. If we win the deal goes through, if not we don't. I can't remember where I heard that or how accurate it is.

Hydrae
10-02-2004, 12:54 PM
What about working something with Miami where they had to put Gordon on IR? They are probably in the worst shape in the league when it comes to running backs.

PunkinDrublic
10-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Just another door shut on the Chiefs trying to improve the team.

CosmicPal
10-02-2004, 01:47 PM
I don't know how Keenan can walk into a locker room and expect to shake hands with anyone in TB. The guy is under contract. He's not a free agent.

If I was a player and he pulled this stunt on me, I sure the phuck wouldn't shake his hand if he ever came into the team's locker room.

With that said- I DON'T KNOW HOW ANYONE COULD EVER WANT AN UNDERSIRABLE SUCH AS MCCARDELL on our team!

He's a wasted talent, and he ONLY PLAYS THE GAME FOR THE MONEY!

People, this guy doesn't play football for the love of the game- he's only in it for the money, and his play certainly doesn't justify the increase in pay.

I, for one, am glad as hell he's not coming here....

Skip Towne
10-02-2004, 02:05 PM
I can't believe DV would let this guy near his team.

Thig Lyfe
10-02-2004, 06:22 PM
I can't believe DV would let this guy near his team.

Yeah, the Chiefs are doin' real well with the chemistry they've got now.

There comes a point (and the Royals reached this point too) where chemistry is just not enough. Team chemistry is great, but it can only go so far. Eventually you may have to add talent regardless of the individual player's reputation. With a sore need at WR, this is one of those times.