PDA

View Full Version : Cubs eliminated

Frazod
10-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Just lost to Atlanta, 8-6.

ROFL

Demonpenz
10-02-2004, 02:46 PM
atlanta has had 11 straight division titles, and i would kill for just one of those

BigRedChief
10-02-2004, 02:50 PM
I'll go first...said in my best Harry Carey voice...

Cubs Lose! Cubs Lose! Cubs Lose!

tk13
10-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Bullpen killed them. I'm sure they'll find a way to blame Steve Stone again... :shake: The way they've been a bunch of whining babies they don't deserve to win.

Frazod
10-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Well, I've got my Cards stuff on. Time to head out and get some food. :evil:

RedandGold
10-02-2004, 02:53 PM
As Scooby Do would say...

"Ruck 'em!"

Demonpenz
10-02-2004, 02:54 PM
next year the will win it all!

BigRedChief
10-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Well, I've got my Cards stuff on. Time to head out and get some food. :evil:

SSSHHHHH Better not tell EnDelt or KCMizzou they will neg rep you just for being a Cards fan... Hey you know come to think about it.....Fu#k em.
Go Cards! WooWoo

jspchief
10-02-2004, 02:59 PM
I have a good buddy that owns a sportsbar that is an unofficial "Cubs bar". Based on last years numbers during the play-offs, he expects to miss out on about $50,000 in profits due to their flameout. I feel bad for him.

Darkwolfe
10-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Maybe we should do "Adopt a Cub" during the off season since the Royals thought they were playing golf this year. :banghead:

tk13
10-02-2004, 03:08 PM
SSSHHHHH Better not tell EnDelt or KCMizzou they will neg rep you just for being a Cards fan... Hey you know come to think about it.....Fu#k em.
Go Cards! WooWoo
Don't worry, we'll get the last laugh. Tony LaRussa has stalled out the Cards momentum with all this "resting" stuff and playing all the backups. We'll see what happens next week, the Cardinals are probably going in with the least momentum of any playoff team. Houston bent you over hard and now the Brewers are taking it to you this week... :)

BigRedChief
10-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Don't worry, we'll get the last laugh. Tony LaRussa has stalled out the Cards momentum with all this "resting" stuff and playing all the backups. We'll see what happens next week, the Cardinals are probably going in with the least momentum of any playoff team. Houston bent you over hard and now the Brewers are taking it to you this week... :)
Why should you root against us? Theres no real riviraly between the Cards and Royals beyond the 85 World Series. I don't root against the Royals and I defintely respect thefans for hanging in there with there team. Major Rep! :thumb:

As far as the "limping" into the playoffs bit you said it yourself larussa is resting a lot of players. They have won 103 games got home field advantage whats left to prove? Rest your players get them ready for the playoffs. Now youre saying LaRussa is wrong. You shouldn't rest your players. Well to each his own but Kruk has an article on espn right now discussing this very issue and he says you should be resting the players. the link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=kruk/041001

1. GET YOUR REST:
This is the most important. You have to stay healthy and rested. I sat out the last three games of the '93 season with back spasms. Then we had a couple of days before the playoffs started. So with five days off, I did pretty well. I say this because people are looking at the Cardinals, who clinched the NL Central a while ago, and saying they aren't playing well.

If anyone thinks that, they don't know what's going on. St. Louis is just getting ready for the playoffs. What does it matter if they win a couple of extra games? Now that the Red Sox aren't in contention to catch the Yankees anymore, do you really think Curt Schilling will pitch over the weekend? Does that mean Boston is in trouble? Hell, no.

You need to be ready when they bring out the red, white and blue bunting. Your regular season record may have put you in the playoffs, but your stats? Yeah, they only show those the first time you step to the plate. After that, it's how you're doing in the playoffs.

So be proud of those 100 RBIs, or those 20 wins. But not for too long.

Stinger
10-02-2004, 03:24 PM

Maybe you will and maybe you won't only time will tell. Got to cling on to something I guess. That is unless you had over 103 losses in the office pool.:p But at least we have a chance to get to the big game. All I am going to say is scoreboard. :) :Poke:

KHinz57
10-02-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm glad, I'm tired of the Chicago Cubs getting all of the media exposure, for what? They never do anything. The made the playoffs last year for the first time since I cannot even remember. I'm tired of the Cubs, maybe the media will stop focusing on them, much like what I hope happens to the Boston Red Sox as well.

KHinz57
10-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Maybe we should do "Adopt a Cub" during the off season since the Royals thought they were playing golf this year. :banghead:

Wait ... if they thought they were playing golf, doesn't that include actually hitting the ball? :banghead:

Nelson Muntz
10-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Wait ... if they thought they were playing golf, doesn't that include actually hitting the ball? :banghead:

I read somewhere that the Royals had the highest strikeout to 18 hole ratio. ROFL

tk13
10-02-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm not really rooting against the Cards, I'm kind of ambivlent... I'd much rather see them win it than the Yankees, but I don't think the Yankees are going to win it either.

I also say your momentum has stalled because your best pitcher, Carpenter, is out injured, Morris has no consistentcy, Suppan finally lost his first road start of the year to Clemens.... plus Houston won 5 of 6 games against you in September. Cardinal fans will say "well those games don't mean anything"... they sure the heck do if you're facing an Astros team that is on fire in the NLCS because you helped contribute to their surge. I just don't like losing momentum... that team was darn near unstoppable up to the point they won the division. I don't really like either the Giants or Dodgers against them though, I don't think they'll lose that first round series... maybe by then they can find that momentum they had.

tk13
10-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Maybe you will and maybe you won't only time will tell. Got to cling on to something I guess. That is unless you had over 103 losses in the office pool.:p But at least we have a chance to get to the big game. All I am going to say is scoreboard. :) :Poke:
Doesn't mean anything if you don't win it all. :) You guys have had a really special season... one of those seasons where absolutely everything goes right. They don't come around that often...

Frazod
10-02-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm certainly concerned about Carpenter and the overall play of late. And of course I HATE LaRussa, who have proven for years that he can f#ck up nearly anything. But for the first time in weeks, they actually have something to play for. I hope that makes a difference in their play.

No predictions... I'm just enjoying the Cards' success - and the Cubs falling on their ass. :D

Remember where I live. God, do I get sick of those f#ckers.

BigRedChief
10-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Doesn't mean anything if you don't win it all. :) You guys have had a really special season... one of those seasons where absolutely everything goes right. They don't come around that often...
Youre right on there. If we don't get it done this year I don't know when we wil have a better chance to win our 10th World Championship.

Larussa has managed 3 possible MVP candidates egos and pitching egos pretty good this year. He's up for coach of the year honors. Gotta dance with the one who brung ya.

tk13
10-02-2004, 03:45 PM
I did just see an article saying you guys are going to go Williams-Marquis-Morris-Suppan in the first round.... with Woody Williams to pitch games 1 and 5. Looks alright I guess, although Morris sticks out like a sore thumb, he's got like a 6 ERA on the road, but his numbers at home are very good. LaRussa will take a lot of crap if that doesn't work out.

RealSNR
10-02-2004, 03:58 PM
I hate apologist teams. You know they teams I'm talking about. The Cubs, the Sox, the Falcons, the Steelers... all those teams that no matter where you go, there's some dumbass with a jersey of theirs on and they aren't even a fan of the team. They just like them.

No f*cking clue why. No clue why everyone loves the Falcons. No clue why anybody would express a liking to such losers as the Cubs and Sox. They just do. These assholes need to die.

Jenson71
10-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Cubs eliminated...

:toast:

RedandGold
10-02-2004, 04:42 PM
I hate apologist teams. You know they teams I'm talking about. The Cubs, the Sox, the Falcons, the Steelers... all those teams that no matter where you go, there's some dumbass with a jersey of theirs on and they aren't even a fan of the team. They just like them.

No f*cking clue why. No clue why everyone loves the Falcons. No clue why anybody would express a liking to such losers as the Cubs and Sox. They just do. These assholes need to die.

What's sad is that people could easily say the same thing about Chiefs...

The Falcons and Steelers have each been in a Superbowl since the last time the Chiefs actually won a playoff game.

The Sox have been in a World Series twice since the Chiefs were last in a Super Bowl.

I wouldn't call us an apologist team, but it's sad when the teams that you mentioned (except for the Cubs) have had more post-season success than the Chiefs over the last 30 years...

BIG_DADDY
10-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Screw the cubbies, go Giants. Freqakin A's are pissing me off.

Sure-Oz
10-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Cubs didn't play like a team, and Sosa's slump all season long was huge that and they don't have a closer worth jack. If they played together they would be in, of course if they were in our division they'd be in too i believe.

tk13
10-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Wow.... the Giants allowed the Dodgers to score 7 runs in the 9th inning and blew the game... Steve Finley hit a walk-off grand slam. If the Astros win (and they are right now), they'll have a 1 game lead with 1 day to go...

Ultra Peanut
10-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Oh well, at least I've got the Chiefs...

Oh. Right.

At least I've got Memphis. Hey, we're better than Miami (Canes +25, 38-13 over Houston; Tigers +27, 41-14 over Houston). :D

Well, I've got my Cards stuff on. Time to head out and get some food. :evil:Gonna head to the Ed and catch the Rams' next home game too, you St. Loser?

Ultra Peanut
10-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Because St. Louis sucks. F*ck the Cardinals. F*ck the Rams. F*ck Imo's "pizza". F*ck the Arch. F*ck everything about that goddammed city. Damn it all to hell!In the words of the Planet/Mange's resident Paul Rodriguez impersonator: That's rep.

Frazod
10-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Damn, you guys are bitter. :p

Frazod
10-02-2004, 06:26 PM
From you.... I'll take that as a compliment. :D

BTW, I've got another one of those Cards jerseys - shall I mail it you? :evil:

Frazod
10-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Sure. Be sure to include your return address. I wanna know where to send it after I take a dump on it.

ROFL

tk13
10-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Houston leads 7-1.... looks like they're going to be in the drivers seat to get a win and clinch the wild card tomorrow.

In even better news the Royals are embarrassing the White Sox on WGN tonight. Angel Berroa hit a bomb and Ruben Gotay just hit his first major league homer. Brian Anderson continues to pitch well. 9-2 Royals.... you can put it on the board, YES!

siberian khatru
10-02-2004, 07:38 PM
F*ck Imo's "pizza".

I think I went on that rant once before (probably with you), but I swear to God that Imo's shit has stuck in my mind for nearly 20 frickin years. Those damn St. Losers tellin me "You GOTTA eat Imo's, man, it's the BEST!" Worst friggin pizza I've ever had.

:thumb:

Ultra Peanut
10-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Amazing story, the Astros... they were pretty much out of it in the middle of the season.

Damnit.

TEX
10-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Go STROS! :thumb:

Sure-Oz
10-02-2004, 08:34 PM
It would be nice for Zach to get a W tommorow and the royals finish off on a positive note. Dejesus has been rock solid for us and should be our player of the year esp after that horrid start, got a solid player there.

whoman69
10-02-2004, 08:56 PM
I don't believe Tony LaRussa did anything to stop the momentum, injuries did. The offense has been off since Rolen went down with his injury and they don't really have someone to put in there that will either play the D or make up for the numbers. Carpenter has been out as has Steve Klein. The Cardinals were on pace to win 110 games and that kind of momentum is difficult to keep going. The Cardinals will not have to face the Astros in the first round. The way it looks now, they will most likely face the Dodgers, whom they can match up against very well, especially if Gagne does not come back from his injury. Win that series, that's all the momentum they need in the playoffs.

The last time the Cubs were in the World Series, when the season began Franklin Roosevelt was in office. The last time they actually won the series Theodore Roosevelt was President. The motto of the Cubs is "Wait 'til next year." A book about their exploits could be called, "A Century Without Success."

RealSNR
10-02-2004, 09:12 PM
What's sad is that people could easily say the same thing about Chiefs...

The Falcons and Steelers have each been in a Superbowl since the last time the Chiefs actually won a playoff game.

The Sox have been in a World Series twice since the Chiefs were last in a Super Bowl.

I wouldn't call us an apologist team, but it's sad when the teams that you mentioned (except for the Cubs) have had more post-season success than the Chiefs over the last 30 years...We've got something the Falcons, Cubbies, and Sox don't... a championship within the past 50 years.

And I wasn't referring to just the winning. It's just blind liking. People wearing Vick jerseys because it's "cool"... Jerome Bettis jerseys were all the rage just a few years ago.

How come I never see any Ray Lewis or even Peyton jerseys?

WilliamTheIrish
10-02-2004, 09:19 PM
I don't believe Tony LaRussa did anything to stop the momentum, injuries did. The offense has been off since Rolen went down with his injury and they don't really have someone to put in there that will either play the D or make up for the numbers. Carpenter has been out as has Steve Klein. The Cardinals were on pace to win 110 games and that kind of momentum is difficult to keep going. The Cardinals will not have to face the Astros in the first round. The way it looks now, they will most likely face the Dodgers, whom they can match up against very well, especially if Gagne does not come back from his injury. Win that series, that's all the momentum they need in the playoffs.

The last time the Cubs were in the World Series, when the season began Franklin Roosevelt was in office. The last time they actually won the series Theodore Roosevelt was President. The motto of the Cubs is "Wait 'til next year." A book about their exploits could be called, "A Century Without Success."

You mean a team with Larry Walker, Jim Edmonds, Pujols, et al can't deal with the loss of another star?

Gimme a friggin break. Your team coasted once they clinched. The only thing that going to clinch from here on out is the azzes of Cardinal fans.

BigRedChief
10-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Sure. Be sure to include your return address. I wanna know where to send it after I take a dump on it.

Why can't I just be a Cardinals fan in peace here?:harumph:

It's not my teams or your fault that your team sucks. I could care less about the rest of St. Louis outside of my Cardinals.

I called off the hit on your car. There was no Cardinals bumper sticker placed on your rig....Can't we all just get along? :thumb:

whoman69
10-02-2004, 10:33 PM
You mean a team with Larry Walker, Jim Edmonds, Pujols, et al can't deal with the loss of another star?

Gimme a friggin break. Your team coasted once they clinched. The only thing that going to clinch from here on out is the azzes of Cardinal fans.
Each of those players have been dealing with injuries as well. We have had very few games with each of those players not hurting. If you have someone hurting and you are already in the playoffs, it makes perfect sense to rest them on occassion and get them ready for the playoffs.

We are in the playoffs. We have the best record in baseball. Rolen is back in the lineup and the others have been rested. For you to count them out dismisses the horrible record of the Astros in the playoffs, the fact the Braves have not been in the series since being swept in '99, and the Dodgers lack of playoff experience at all.

BigRedChief
10-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Because St. Louis sucks. F*ck the Cardinals. F*ck the Rams. F*ck Imo's "pizza". F*ck the Arch. F*ck everything about that goddammed city. Damn it all to hell!
I can't believe you negative reped me again just for being a Cardinals fan. :cuss: You should just let it go....Too much anger.. :shake:

It reminds me of the Seinfeld joke about Tide detergant always promoting getting blood of your clothes...Seinfelds joke was that if you are having a lot of problems getting blood out of your clothes that maybe laundry detergant isn't the biggest problem in your life.

tk13
10-02-2004, 10:54 PM
We are in the playoffs. We have the best record in baseball. Rolen is back in the lineup and the others have been rested. For you to count them out dismisses the horrible record of the Astros in the playoffs, the fact the Braves have not been in the series since being swept in '99, and the Dodgers lack of playoff experience at all.

And what have the Cardinals done in the last 20 years to differ from the other teams in playoff success?

This should be pretty fun, I think it's wide open in both leagues. I'd be a bit more confident in the Cards if Morris, Marquis, and Suppan had finished stronger. Maybe they'll light it up come Tues/Wed. The Astros could be pretty scary I guess... they are on fire, and have the two front end starters, a knockout closer... middle relief could be a question though. To be honest I don't think the Astros offense is too far behind the Cardinals. Biggio, Beltran, Bagwell, Berkman, Kent... that's a pretty tough top 5. I'm interested in seeing what the Braves do, I don't know what to expect from them... it's a completely different group than the playoff teams in years past.

BigRedChief
10-03-2004, 03:44 PM
We won't see the Astros in the first series. We will see them in only a 7 game series. They have to have 3 quality pitcherd. Besides the Cardinals have beaten Clemons twice this year already.

Frazod
10-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Oh, BTW, the Cubs won today.

Good momentum builder for the..... offseason

:LOL:

Frazod
10-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Cry about some negative rep at every turn, and *I'm* the one who needs to let something go? The neg rep response honestly made me laugh out loud.

Draw a huge f*cking bullseye on your back, then you're shocked when you get hit. It's quit entertaining, actually.

Never ceases to amaze me how serious some people take rep. Tell ya what, BigRed... next time I see you crying about card fan negrep... if I think I've spread enough around... I'll be sure to hit you again. Then laugh my ass off all over again as you lose your mind over it.

It'll never get old for me.

I gave him positive rep to make up for it.

Hater. :p

Bowser
10-03-2004, 06:14 PM
REP WAR!!!

:)

Frazod
10-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Haha. I suppose if I really wanted to see him lose it I could wander into the admin control panel....

I think I'll save that for a day when I'm really bored.

Poor Cardinals fan, getting ground under the boot of the man. :shake:

ROFL

BigRedChief
10-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Which team has the 104 losses and which team has the 104 wins?

Haters never win. It's the moral principle that I was upset about the last time. I still feel that a moderator should not be able to effect a members account because of a personal dislike for that person or his team. They should be above that and an example to others on the board. Phobia and the other mods have a different opinion. It's their sandbox and I'm just a lowly visitor under the boot of the man......:harumph:

BigRedChief
10-03-2004, 07:32 PM
I gave him positive rep to make up for it.

Hater. :p

Glad to see another Cardinal fan has my back from the haters. Cardinal fans rock! My son is a 5th generation Cardinal fan. He wears his Cardinal jerseys to school and nobody gives him crap about it(that may be because he's 5'6" 150lbs at 12 years old.:p) but anyway.....

No Apologies. No Regrets. I don't hide my baseball loyalties. You want to neg rep me because I'm a Cardinal fan...Make yourself happy. Knock yourself out...We still have 104 wins and a legitamate chance at a World Series.

Go Cardinals!

tk13
10-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Speaking of the Cubs... I was just reading that Chip Caray has left the Cubs and he's going to join his dad in Atlanta doing Braves games next year. I've never seen a team's broadcasters get more pub than there in Chicago... I'm guessing frazod might be able to attest to it better than I, but it sounds like that whole "Steve Stone feud with the Cubs players" is a pretty big deal....

Ultra Peanut
10-04-2004, 05:29 AM
Huh. Not that I'm a huge Chip fan, but at least he's not too irritating. Lots of Cubs fans hate his guts, but there are much worse out there, and I hope they don't replace him someone who really chafes. Vapid but non-offensive is better than downright obnoxious.

I'm sort of mixed on Brennaman, whose name has come up a few times that I've seen. He used to fill in for Harry during the middle innings when I was younger, so it would sort of be like old times. On the other hand, Brennaman was reeeeeeally irritating during the NLCS last year. I don't know if I want to hear him very much anymore.

Biggest thing is that I hope Stoney stays. He's great, simple as that. Nothing like the awful Joe Carter/Dave Otto years to remind me just how much I appreciate someone who doesn't sound like he has a speech/brain impediment (Otto wasn't too horrible, just incredibly, incredibly dull; I guess Carter's unintentional hilarity was pretty amusing when he wasn't annoying the hell out of me, too).

One idea I saw floated on a Cubs forum that I thought was pretty cool was to move Hughes and Santo over to TV from radio. That would be pretty cool, actually, Stone aside.

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 06:31 AM
Broadcasters move sometimes. Shoot I remember falling asleep as a young pup in Springfield listening to Harry Carey and Jack Buck broadcast Cardinal games. People think he's always been with the Cubs. Rumor is that Harry Carey had an affair with Auggie Bush's wife and was sent packing....

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 06:40 AM
Huh. Not that I'm a huge Chip fan, but at least he's not too irritating. Lots of Cubs fans hate his guts, but there are much worse out there, and I hope they don't replace him someone who really chafes. Vapid but non-offensive is better than downright obnoxious.

I'm sort of mixed on Brennaman, whose name has come up a few times that I've seen. He used to fill in for Harry during the middle innings when I was younger, so it would sort of be like old times. On the other hand, Brennaman was reeeeeeally irritating during the NLCS last year. I don't know if I want to hear him very much anymore.

Biggest thing is that I hope Stoney stays. He's great, simple as that. Nothing like the awful Joe Carter/Dave Otto years to remind me just how much I appreciate someone who doesn't sound like he has a speech/brain impediment (Otto wasn't too horrible, just incredibly, incredibly dull; I guess Carter's unintentional hilarity was pretty amusing when he wasn't annoying the hell out of me, too).

One idea I saw floated on a Cubs forum that I thought was pretty cool was to move Hughes and Santo over to TV from radio. That would be pretty cool, actually, Stone aside.
So you are going to give me neg rep too huh....well thats okay. You can give out positive and neg rep at will. It's your perogative as a member here. But I don't really care about your neg rep or how many green skittles I have. The issue I have is with the board policy. Just because I've accepted the policy doesn't mean I have to like it or not complain about it.

I grew up a Chiefs fan and a Cardinals fan. I cheer for no others. I make no apoligies for my teams alliance. I'm proud of my teams. It's a little hard right now to be taking a beating with an 0-3 team but ohhh well.. through thick and thin baby throught thick and thin.

Go Cardinals. World Series bound baby!

Ultra Peanut
10-04-2004, 06:45 AM
Thread Date Posted By Comment
Cubs eliminated 10-04-2004 07:36 AM BigRedChief FU bub. It's my team. Don't like it? Tough Shit.ROFL

BigRedChief
10-04-2004, 06:46 AM
ROFL

What he said! :thumb: