PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help ASAP!!!

COchief
10-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Power surges apparently knocked out my power supply today on my desktop.

Question 1 If I buy a new power supply can I install it myself with relatively no hassle. (I have installed CDrom drives, memory, and modems)

Question 2 Is there any way to tell ahead of time if my motherboard was also fried?

Any help is appreciated as I work from home from my desktop and also have papers due on Monday and Tuesday for various classes.
Thanks in advance,

morphius
10-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Yes.

No without another power supply.

Hydrae
10-02-2004, 05:35 PM
As for question 1, power supply is probably easier to replace than a CDRom drive.

Question 2, I will let someone else answer, I don't have a clue!

COchief
10-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the help,

Now more questions. This PC is a POS pentium II, so If I purchase and install a new power supply can I return it if MB is fried?

COchief
10-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Also any way I can get someone else to cover the costs?(apartment complex, power co) I did have a POS $10 surge protector hooked up.

PastorMikH
10-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the help,

Now more questions. This PC is a POS pentium II, so If I purchase and install a new power supply can I return it if MB is fried?

FWIW, not trying to be smart here, but if it is a pentium 2, the power supply will most likely be worth more than the computer. I'd consider upgrading.

COchief
10-02-2004, 05:42 PM
FWIW, not trying to be smart here, but if it is a pentium 2, the power supply will most likely be worth more than the computer. I'd consider upgrading.

Yeah I realize this, but this thing is like a tank. I do own a more up to date laptop. I prefer to work on a desktop. Plus college student equals limited funds to waste.

MavKC
10-02-2004, 07:35 PM
You can find a power supply for a Pentium II cheap at used computer stores.

The only way to see if your systems fine, is to hook up said power supply and see if there is any life. If you know where to look on your mobo you check out and see (or sniff) if you've blown any capacitors, but even then you could of fried the CPU, so installing a new power supply would just be easier and faster.

If the power supply that's in the case now is a decent one, than you may have only blown a replaceable fuse. You will however have to crack open the PS case to find out.

Manila-Chief
10-03-2004, 12:49 AM
Hey, most likely you can hook your laptop up to your monitor, Keyboard, and mouse and use it as you would a CPU. That is what I'm doing now. Why ... I like the larger screen, keyboard, and mouse.

chief52
10-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Also any way I can get someone else to cover the costs?(apartment complex, power co) I did have a POS $10 surge protector hooked up.

What caused the "power surges" in the first place?

ChiefsFanatic
10-03-2004, 10:52 AM
If you value your computer at all, you should also invest in a UPS battery backup.

COchief
10-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Update, I went and bought a used HP pII for $25. Jesus, who ever said swapping out a power supply is easier than a cd-rom needs to put down the crack pipe. That POS plugged into everything everywhere. Anyways, something else is wrong so I will be replacing the whole thing and throwing in my old HD as a second one. Woo-hoo more wasted $$.

As for the laptop, My GF DLed kazaa and a bunch of viruses that I can not get rid of w/o fuggin with the registry or wiping clean and restarting from scratch. Don't have the time or windows cds for that.
Loves and HATES technology.

Oh Yeah, the power surges were due to my power coming in and out multiple times yesterday while my CPU was on. After that it was just completely dead.

blsilks
10-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Dude, since you had a hard time with the power supply then you probably aren't a computer builder so you need to just get a Dell Loan and buy a Dell. They are so freakin cheap right now and you can buy a Dell that has 15 times the speed of that old P2.

go bo
10-03-2004, 01:43 PM
i am not a computer whiz, but if you're running xp on your laptop, try using system restore to see if you can get rid of your problems...

you can also try using spyware remover tools like adaware and spybot...

sometimes it's not viruses, but spyware that can cause problems..

Valiant
10-03-2004, 02:00 PM
i am not a computer whiz, but if you're running xp on your laptop, try using system restore to see if you can get rid of your problems...

you can also try using spyware remover tools like adaware and spybot...

sometimes it's not viruses, but spyware that can cause problems..

i think it is practically impossible to get xp on a pentium 2 machine...

chief52
10-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Oh Yeah, the power surges were due to my power coming in and out multiple times yesterday while my CPU was on. After that it was just completely dead.

Call the power company and tell them you want to file a claim. They will send you one...at least I know they will in California. Fill it out explaining the time, damage etc. They may or may not pay, but it is worth a shot. Was it storming at the time? Any idea why the power was going on and off?

COchief
10-03-2004, 07:31 PM
OK back to address some questions. Laptop is a PIII that runs windows ME (mistake edition) so I am going to have it wiped clean later this week and reload windows to get rid of viruses (I also run spybot and adaware so I know it is not spyware).

Whoever suggested Dell is right on, I will be ordering a dimension desktop loaded up pretty well for about 500 bones. God damn those are good deals. I looked around the paper today and the only other comparably priced CPU is a POS emachine, I know better than that.

One other question, will I be able to throw in my hard drive from my now crushed PII as a second drive into my new Dell?
And thanks for the info on filling out a claim with the power co, we'll see if the bastids will give me any $$.

go bo
10-03-2004, 10:08 PM
i think it is practically impossible to get xp on a pentium 2 machine...i was referring to his laptop...

try to keep up...