PDA

View Full Version : Espn Columnist Bill Simmons thrashes Chiefs

bricks
10-03-2004, 06:52 PM
"Ravens(-4.5)over Chiefs

"Anytime people are discussing your defense during the playoffs with lines like, 'They would be better off onside-kicking after every TD, and those people are serious, it's probably not a good idea for the Chiefs to bring back the exact same defense the following season."
--Simmons, 9/8/04

"I don't understand this KC affection at all. That's a 5-11 team with one great player. What's the difference between them and San Diego? Seriously, you tell me."
--Simmons, 9/17/04

"The Chiefs stink. Someday, you will believe me."
--Simmons, 9/24/04

Bill Simmons is a columnist for Page 2 and ESPN the magazine.

Bowser
10-03-2004, 06:53 PM
East Coast media prick.

morphius
10-03-2004, 06:56 PM
right now, we do stink. But i guess he can't count the number of good players we have on the team, either that or he is one big giant stupid head.

ROYC75
10-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Right now, who can argue... we do stink right now !

ROYC75
10-03-2004, 06:57 PM
right now, we do stink. But i guess he can't count the number of good players we have on the team, either that or he is one big giant stupid head.

Hotdamn, we post almost the same thing at the same time ! :shake:

milkman
10-03-2004, 06:59 PM
"Ravens(-4.5)over Chiefs

"Anytime people are discussing your defense during the playoffs with lines like, 'They would be better off onside-kicking after every TD, and those people are serious, it's probably not a good idea for the Chiefs to bring back the exact same defense the following season."
--Simmons, 9/8/04

"I don't understand this KC affection at all. That's a 5-11 team with one great player. What's the difference between them and San Diego? Seriously, you tell me."
--Simmons, 9/17/04

"The Chiefs stink. Someday, you will believe me."
--Simmons, 9/24/04

Bill Simmons is a columnist for Page 2 and ESPN the magazine.

I'm not sure he's thrashing.
Seems to pretty close to on the mark.

The Chiefs would have been better off onside-kicking in numerous situations, and many of us were saying so.

The only real difference between the Chiefs and the Chargers is the O-Line.

And right now, the Chiefs do stink.

wazu
10-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Good. Carl deserves to have his feet held to the fire by the top columnist in the nation.

Inspector
10-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Nobody would have ever heard of him if not for him marrying his high school sweetheart, Richard Simmons.

bricks
10-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Folks, I agree with his first quote, Simmons makes a good point. But, quote #2 is dumb. I think he's forgetting the other guys like Gonzalez, Hall, Green, Roaf, Shields, Richardson. :rolleyes: And, quote #3 was unnecessary :shake:

Ugly Duck
10-03-2004, 07:06 PM
What's the difference between them and San Diego? Seriously, you tell me.Sandy Eggo whupped ass today. 200 yards on the ground against the Titans, 400 total yards, Brees with an 80% completion percentage. Maybe we've overlooked Sandy Eggo as much as we all underlooked KC.

milkman
10-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Folks, I agree with his first quote, Simmons makes a good point. But, quote #2 is dumb. I think he's forgetting the other guys like Gonzalez, Hall, Green, Roaf, Shields, Richardson. :rolleyes: And, quote #3 was unnecessary :shake:

I don't think he's is overlooking them.
I think he taking an overall look at the 2 teams and making a broad assesment.

Sure the Chiefs have some more talented players in some positions on their roster, but you can look at the Chargers and make the same claim.

But, as I said earlier, the only real difference is the O-Line.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2004, 07:18 PM
So whats the big deal?? Hes really not too far off the mark.....although i would argue that the media is wrong about us this year.....Its our O that has blown 2 games for us this year..NOT our D. Most of these East Coast blowhards arnt watching any games beyond the Eagles, Jets and Giants........All they are doing is remembering our teams D from the past 3 years....Not saying our D are world beaters now or anything...they still have a long ways to go of course, but so far the problems with our team this year has mostly been the O's fault....

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2004, 08:11 PM
I don't really care. With the exception of Holmes, and a few others, this team is playing like shit. I'm surprised the media hasn't slammed us harder...on the flip side, if Vermiel rights this ship and we make the play-offs, this dude will look like a moron...

tk13
10-03-2004, 08:16 PM
We had a big fit over Bill Simmons before the season when he said we'd suck... notice those are his week by week comments on the Chiefs. So far he hasn't been far off. For an average fan-type columnist he sure seems to nail things down more than some of the experts.

Chan93lx50
10-03-2004, 08:19 PM
We are 0-3, we deserved to thrashed

morphius
10-03-2004, 08:31 PM
We still don't suck as much as SF, wow, what a horrible game.

VonneMarie
10-03-2004, 08:38 PM
We are 0-3, we deserved to thrashed
And he can eat shit. :)

Hammock Parties
10-03-2004, 08:39 PM
But, as I said earlier, the only real difference is the O-Line.

SD's receivers are TOTAL GARBAGE. Ours are average.

We also have better coaching and a better QB.

An entire O-line is a pretty big difference, too.

Garcia Bronco
10-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Damn..Simmons threw down.

morphius
10-03-2004, 08:42 PM

With all of our injury issues we have had on both sides of the ball, it is hard to be good. The only injury that has helped us is that hack Holliday losing his job to Browning. He should only be suited up if Allen is unable to go.

Logical
10-03-2004, 08:48 PM
East Coast media prick.

Make that

Accurate East Coast media prick.

go bo
10-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Make that

Accurate East Coast media prick.ROFL ROFL ROFL

cdcox
10-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Simmons has been on the west coast for two years, but still remains an ardent fan of all things Boston. Call him bi.

Gaz
10-04-2004, 05:31 AM
What rebuttal can you throw out there when you are 0-3?

The guy is right until the team proves him wrong.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking his beating.

Otter
10-04-2004, 05:45 AM
He forgot to add the contribution of our draft picks the last couple years and that Carl Peterson hasn't drafted an impact starting QB, RB or WR in his 16 years as GM.

A wise man once said 'praise is given, blame is assigned'.

Adding my worthless 2 cents.

Swanman
10-04-2004, 06:44 AM
What rebuttal can you throw out there when you are 0-3?

The guy is right until the team proves him wrong.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking his beating.

That's basically the approach I'm taking. Overall, I like Simmons' columns on ESPN.com. He's very funny and extremely creative at times. All he's doing right now is the same thing every national columnist is doing and that is jumping on the "I told you so" bandwagon about the Chiefs. He just jumped on earlier than many others. Until the Chiefs starting winning some games, they do stink.

1adam1238
10-04-2004, 06:49 AM
I hate to admit it, if we don't pull our heads out of our anal cavity, Sandy is going to slap us silly.

Gaz
10-04-2004, 07:05 AM
For years, some Chiefs fans mourned the lack of media attention on KC. Then came the 9-0 start and we had the attention of the football world. Gushing praise for our Offense and Special Teams. Miraculous. Amazing. Super Bowl bound, baby.

Then the Defense tanked in the playoff game and the media folks wanted to vent some hostility at the Chiefs for deceiving them all and making them look foolish. Out came the knives.

The knives are still sharpened at the Chiefs are going to be the “feel crappy” story of 2004 until they do something about it on the field.

Best get used to it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Working on building some calluses.

Deberg_1990
10-04-2004, 05:08 PM
I finally wandered over to page 2 to catch up on some Sports Guy reading.... I laughed out loud at this...

ROFL

hahahah..thats classic!! Marino is a turd.....Most overrated QB ever.

The reason he never had a running game is because he wouldnt allow anything to ever interfere with his precious "stats" Plus, I always heard that he was terrible at learning to hand the ball off correctly.

milkman
10-04-2004, 05:38 PM

Right now, Reche Caldwell is palying better than Kennison was before his hamstring pull.

Dwight and Osgood vs. Morton is a wash, IMO.

I wouldn't want Cam Cameron as OC, but he isn't any worse than waht Al has been thus far this season.

Wade Phillips is every bit as good a DC as Gun, IMO.

I'll give the edge in coaching to the Chiefs because Dick has shown he can get his teams to the promised land, while Marty is still Martyocre.

But it's not a huge difference right now.

Of course the entire O-Line is a big difference.
They are the only reason the Chiefs haven't battled SD for last the last couple of seasons.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Right now, Reche Caldwell is palying better than Kennison was before his hamstring pull.

Dwight and Osgood vs. Morton is a wash, IMO.

Caldwell is doing pretty good, I'll give you that. But Morton blows away any of SD's other receivers. Eric Parker is the #2 and he has 5 catches.

HolmeZz
10-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Most people I know call Tomlinson 'LT2'.

HolmeZz
10-08-2004, 03:12 PM
But it sounds cooler.

HolmeZz
10-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Pfft.

tk13
11-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Yeah if you read on down the article, he basically apologizes to the Chargers for putting them down and saying they were just like the Chiefs....