PDA

View Full Version : Fruity Beer??

Alton deFlat
10-05-2004, 11:55 AM
This stuff (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2004-10-04-beer_x.htm)
just sounds NASTY.

Anheuser-Busch to debut souped-up beer
ST. LOUIS (AP) — In an effort to revive flattening sales and attract new drinkers, Anheuser-Busch (BUD) is unveiling a new concoction — a fruity-smelling beer, spiked with caffeine, guarana and ginseng.

The world's largest brewer said Monday its planned offering — pronounced B-to-the-E, with the "E" denoting something "extra" and shown as an exponent of B — should appeal to 20-something consumers looking for something zippy in their highly social, fast-paced lifestyles. The St. Louis-based brewer said the new "beer" — pending governmental approval — should debut in November against the backdrop of the company's existing line of Bacardi liquor-branded flavored malt beverages — or malternatives. The drink also faces competition from the ever-increasing line of alcohol-free energy drinks, such as Red Bull, often used as mixers in clubs.

Anheuser-Busch said each can of the B-to-the-E beverage would pack 22.5 carbs, along with 6.6% alcohol by volume, 54 milligrams of caffeine and 203 calories. By comparison, Anheuser-Busch's Bacardi Silver Low-Carb Black Cherry has 2.6 grams of carbs and 96 calories per 12-ounce serving.

"The majority of beer drinkers and the people we're trying to approach with this product are not concerned with carbs all the time," Bob Lachky, Anheuser-Busch's vice president of brand management, told reporters during a conference call.

Convinced the carb-counting craze may be waning, Lachky said "there's plenty of room in the beer industry for innovation not tied to carbs."

B-to-the-E will be slightly sweet but tart, coming in the aromas of blackberry, raspberry and cherry.

Anheuser-Busch trumpeted itself as the first major brewer to infuse beer with caffeine, ginseng and guarana, the latter a caffeine-bearing herb used in a popular Brazilian soft drink.

The brewer did not specify possible pricing for the new beverage, suggesting only that the "very unique product" would cost slightly more than Budweiser as a premium product.

"It's not that people aren't drinking beer," Lachky said. "It is one of those things where variety and innovation is more of a factor than anything else."

Some analysts suggested that Anheuser-Busch was trying to set itself apart in a market with increasing choices for consumers while appealing to a demographic whose taste buds go beyond conventional beer offerings.

"It's consumer marketing — everyone's trying to do something," said Juli Niemann, a St. Louis-based analyst for RT Jones.

Anheuser-Busch shares fell 28 cents to close at $50.20 on Monday on the New York Stock Exchange.

http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/10/05/b-e-inside.jpg

KCN
10-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Blech. If you want something to pep you up it's called redbull and vodka. If you want something to revive sales it's called beer that has more taste than stale water. I suggest they expand the market for Ziegenbock.

Phobia
10-05-2004, 12:08 PM
I don't support AB. I've been known to consume a Busch Light from time to time, but only if there are no other alternatives.

Phobia
10-05-2004, 12:09 PM
If AB would make better tasting BEER, they wouldn't have to market all these stupid gimmicks. AB isn't a beverage company, they're a marketing giant.

MichaelH
10-05-2004, 12:12 PM
If you want something to revive sales it's called beer that has more taste than stale water. I suggest they expand the market for Ziegenbock.

Or find new clydesdales to piss in the bottles.

I'm confused. They're calling the new brew a beer yet it has all those additives that is usually found in teas. What a way to sissify beer. What's next, rose petals?

Rain Man
10-05-2004, 12:18 PM
I know nothing about beer, but I can certainly comment that Fruity Pebbles is a fine tasting cereal.

Taco John
10-05-2004, 12:49 PM
I always though Keystone Light tasted like bananas... Back when I was 19 and drank that garbage.

Aside from that, one of the best Summer beers you can get is Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde Ale.

Damn good beer.

nmt1
10-05-2004, 12:55 PM
I always though Keystone Light tasted like bananas... Back when I was 19 and drank that garbage.

Aside from that, one of the best Summer beers you can get is Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde Ale.

Damn good beer.

I agree. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Abita Purple Haze are also fine beers.

MOhillbilly
10-05-2004, 12:56 PM
I bet it was invented by the same people who came up w/ left handed cigarettes.

Taco John
10-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Bananas? I think you've got the hallucinogens to thank for that one.

I drank the hell out of some Key Light in college. I always thought it tasted like $9 a 30-pack.

Nah dude... It was like a phenomenon in our house... Someone made the observation that when you first open a Key, and take a whiff, you smell bananas... I thought it was BS at first, but tried it and, too, thought I could smell bananas...

I drank the hell out of Key Light too... They market that stuff directly to 19-year olds. Bitter beer face? Who gets bitter beer face? 19-year olds. That's who.

I was a returning sophomore the Summer they came out with Ice Beer... Boy, oh boy... Fun times...

MOhillbilly
10-05-2004, 01:10 PM
I'm rather fond of left handed cigarettes.

:mad:hippy

KCTitus
10-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Best 'fruity beer' I've had is Weyerbacher Raspberry Imperial Stout.

The only dark I can really stomach that doenst taste like motor oil or burnt toast in a glass.

This stuff sounds nasty...as someone else suggested red bull. Red Bull w/Jagermeister is a great pick me up.

MOhillbilly
10-05-2004, 01:37 PM
I've got short hair and a job and everything.

Neo-Hippy

Brando
10-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Well... I am wearing sandals.... and I didn't shave this morning.

Next thing you know you'll be on here telling us all about the virtues of hippy lettuce.

Iowanian
10-05-2004, 02:11 PM
I thought Fruits drank Zima or Bartles and James?

MOhillbilly
10-05-2004, 02:15 PM
This all started because I expressed a fondness for left handed cigarettes.

ROFL:)

Bob Dole
10-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Anyone else notice it's a 10 ounce can?

listopencil
10-05-2004, 02:25 PM
ROFL:)

WTF? Is that a guy screwing a pig in your avatar?

listopencil
10-05-2004, 02:28 PM
You gonna criticize MOHillbilly's pasttimes now?

Oh no, I'm not hatin' on the beastiality. I only just now noticed what was going on in the pic.

MOhillbilly
10-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Oh no, I'm not hatin' on the beastiality. I only just now noticed what was going on in the pic.

Dont worry,the pig was dead when we found it.o:-)

Alton deFlat
10-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Dont worry,the pig was dead when we found it.o:-)
..and afterwards, instead of smoking a cigarette, you smoked the pig. Right?

Taco John
10-05-2004, 03:16 PM
"I've never in my life seen anyone do this to a harmless little animal."

Me thinks thou doest protest too much...

MOhillbilly
10-05-2004, 03:22 PM
..and afterwards, instead of smoking a cigarette, you smoked the pig. Right?

We smoked somethin'.

Baby Lee
10-05-2004, 03:23 PM
I think it's our conception of 'beer' that is throwing things. Stuff like Zima and Barcardi O aren't all that different from beer, in that they are fermented malt beverages.

One of my faves, though it's soooo fuggin' expensive [7.50-8.50 per 16 ounce bottle], is Lindemans Lambics.

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/lindemans_framboise.html

That stuff is like Tazo's brambleberry tea with a kick.

They also have peach, black cherry and black currant.

If this B2thaE stuff tastes half as good, at a decent price, I'll buy.

MOhillbilly
10-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Sounds french:harumph:

Bob Dole
10-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Anyone else notice it's a 10 ounce can?

Apparently not, Bob. They were too busy fantasizing about pig sex.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-05-2004, 04:53 PM
If A-B wants people to drink more of their products they should stop making them suck....the products that is.

Bob Dole
10-05-2004, 04:53 PM
What the hell do you want? A couple thousand, "Yes" or "No" replies?

Yes.