PDA

View Full Version : RV Motor Homes: Like them or hate them?

Rain Man
10-06-2004, 05:43 PM
My aunt and uncle just drove through Denver, and they've got one of those big fifth-wheel RVs: kitchen, satellite TV, two easy chairs in the living room, all that stuff.

I'm incredibly envious and would like to have an RV at some point so I can roam the countryside and see exotic places like Delaware and North Dakota. My wife cringes whenever I mention it. So tell me, are RVs cool or not?

Bob Dole
10-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Never seen one in apricot. You might want to rethink that.

Rain Man
10-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Another dream shattered.

Frazod
10-06-2004, 05:52 PM
I'd like them a lot better if I could afford to buy/maintain/insure/drive one and could also afford a house with a driveway big enough to park the thing.

:sulk:

Rain Man
10-06-2004, 05:53 PM
You're just saying that because my wife told you to, right?

Bowser
10-06-2004, 05:54 PM
It's not the RV's that scare me. It's the ancient sumbitches that are always behind the wheel of those living rooms with wheels that scare me!

shakesthecat
10-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Mrs Shakes, her folks and I, spent a week touring Alaksa in a 5th wheeler, about 10 years ago.
Having an internal heat source was nice. I'm sure the same is true with a/c. The camper was about 15 years old back then, but it was perfect for 4 of us.

I'm pretty sure I'll ever own one myself, but since I've known them, my in-laws have traveled the country for months at a time, and love it.

chiefs4me
10-06-2004, 06:27 PM
I love our 5th wheel,,,this is the 3rd one we have had,,,it has only 1 slide out,,,you know where the living room slides out to make room,,,the rv show is coming up and we are looking at new ones with 3 slides,,I can't wait,,,we use ours 10 to 15 times a year,,,,I can hardly stay in a cabin, or motel now when we go places,,,it has 2 bedrooms,,,one with a queen size bed and the other with bunkbeds,,,,I love it,,and it only costs 268.75 a month,,,,

Inspector
10-06-2004, 07:03 PM
My folks had a 35' Pace Arrow - fully loaded with everything imaginable.

My wife and I took it cross country. Best riding machine I ever drove - and extremely comfortable to drive.

And if you want a snack, the wife just fixes something in the kitchen and ya never have to pull over + she can take her required "every 20 minute" leak without me having to find a McDonalds. (dirty gas stations won't do...)

And if ya need to "get a little" while cruisng down the road, all ya need is a parking lot. Don't have to search for a motel room.

Down side: Big $$$$ to buy and operate. Uses more gas than a Boeing 707. We figure it would have been just as cheap to stay at hotels after figuring the price of gas and RV parks.

Still - way cool to travel in.