View Full Version : NFL's toughest QBs

KingPriest2
10-07-2004, 11:33 AM
The toughest current QBs
Story Tools: Print Email
Dan Pompei /
Posted: 21 hours ago

Once again Trent is overlooked.

1. Brett Favre, Packers. He's Ray Nitschke at quarterback.

2. Steve McNair, Titans. Nails are as tough as McNair.

3. Peyton Manning, Colts. He won't even sit out for a single practice snap, let alone a game.

4. Rich Gannon, Raiders. Tough as a Philly cab driver, says Jon Gruden. Or a bad cheesesteak

5. David Carr, Texans. Being sacked 76 times his rookie year didn't affect his style of play or cause him to miss a down.

6. Donovan McNabb, Eagles. Once completed 80 percent of his passes in a game even though he broke his ankle on the third play.

7. Daunte Culpepper, Vikings. He wins collisions with defensive linemen.

8. Tom Brady, Patriots. A soft player doesn't lead his team to two NFL championships.

9. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks. Favre's former understudy has a little of the master in him.

10. Drew Bledsoe, Bills. He takes blows like a punching bag, and he doesn't lose form.

Phobia
10-07-2004, 11:35 AM
I give Green a hard time, but if there's any list he deserves to be in the top 10, this one is it.

Coach
10-07-2004, 11:35 AM
This is an outrage! :cuss:

David.
10-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Tom Brady? What has he done to be "tough"

Hammock Parties
10-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Matt Hasselbeck? Give me a break. Here's a guy that still needed a few seasons to get good even with all-pro Tony Jones protecting him.

Drew Bledsoe? ROFL

Phobia
10-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Newsflash to Dan Pompei:

Drew Bledsoe lost his job 3 years ago because of a weak injury.
David Carr missed 4.5 games less than a year ago.
Rich Gannon isn't a QB in the NFL any longer - probably never will be.
Culpepper missed 2 games last year and 5 games 3 years ago.

If you want to see tough, look no further than http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1009

Amnorix
10-07-2004, 11:44 AM

Let's see --- started 50 games in a row for starters.

Oh yeah, he also played the last couple games of '02 after he had dislocated his shoulder.

He played all of '03 still suffering the effects of the shoulder separation from '02 (and then had surgery after '03), and is healthier/better now than he was last year.

Finally, he played several games early last year though the elbow on his throwing arm had swollen to a huge size (think it was bursitis).

Finally, he ALWAYS stands and delivers the ball, even if he knows he's going to get hit. No happy feet. No ducking to take the sack 2 seconds before the guy gets there.

Believe me, he's plenty tough. The Pats never talk about injuries, though, so you never hear about it when he's sucking it up.

Amnorix
10-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Newsflash to Dan Pompei:

Drew Bledsoe lost his job 3 years ago because of a weak injury.

err...the sheared blood vessel in his chest that could have killed him? :spock:

I'll mock Bledsoe and all his faults until the end of time, but he is a pretty tough dude. He played a couple games for us back in '99 or thereabouts with a broken finger. ON HIS THROWING HAND. IIRC it was his index finger.

jspchief
2. Steve McNair

I'll never understand how someone that spends 75% of the year on Fisher's inflated injury list gets credited for being tough.

Favre downplays every injury he has. He could have his arm torn off in one game, and by Wednesday is saying there's soreness, but nothing that will keep him out on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Stacy McNair gets a hangnail, Jeff Fisher lists him as doubtful with paralysis from the neck down, and the media ballsack ornaments throw a freaking parade when he plays that week.

Am I the only one that isn't fooled by this line of shat?

alpha_omega
I give Green a hard time, but if there's any list he deserves to be in the top 10, this one is it.

Agreed...after 52 straight starts...this guy is tough!

Hammock Parties
10-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Agreed...after 52 straight starts...this guy is tough!

Not only that, his injuries are never overblown in the media either.

Coach
10-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Not to mention that Trent blocks guys that are twice stronger than himself.

Bearcat
10-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Believe me, he's plenty tough. The Pats never talk about injuries, though, so you never hear about it when he's sucking it up.

This is another reason I respect Brady... just sucks it up and plays.

2. Steve McNair

I'll never understand how someone that spends 75% of the year on Fisher's inflated injury list gets credited for being tough.

Meanwhile, Stacy McNair gets a hangnail, Jeff Fisher lists him as doubtful with paralysis from the neck down, and the media ballsack ornaments throw a freaking parade when he plays that week.

...and this why I don't really like Steve McNair. During one of his bajillion "He's Tough!" interviews on ESPN, they had his wife on saying he might not say much on the field about being in pain, but she never hears the end of it when he's at home.

That's how I look at McNair... someone that wants everyone to know about every bruise, so he's that much more of a hero when things go well, and still great when things don't, because at least he's tough! :rolleyes:

Phobia
10-07-2004, 12:00 PM
err...the sheared blood vessel in his chest that could have killed him? :spock:

I'll mock Bledsoe and all his faults until the end of time, but he is a pretty tough dude. He played a couple games for us back in '99 or thereabouts with a broken finger. ON HIS THROWING HAND. IIRC it was his index finger.

Oh please. I've played through worse.

Rain Man
10-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Has anyone mentioned how tough Steve McNair is yet?

Demonpenz
10-07-2004, 12:04 PM
They always talk about how tough mcnair is. If he was so tough he would drag his ass through atleast some of the practices, instead he is always hurt all week and doesn't practice, then he plays for 4 hours on sunday. Tough QB's try atleast to stick with the team during practice.

Phobia
10-07-2004, 12:04 PM

I think he's #1 on the injury prone list coming out next week.

easymobee
10-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Not to start any bad will, but on one hand Chief fans like to point out that Trent plays behind one of the best O-Lines in all of football (He Does) and one of the supporting facts to that is how seldom he is sacked . On the other hand there is a strong sentiment here that he should be on this list due to having started 52 straight games as if he was a human tackling dummy back there (ie Drew Bledsoe).

Bledsoe should be on the list, but at a cost .... all of the hits he has taken have made him a punch drunk QB back there. Green took about 23 or 24 sacks last year and isn't the kind of QB that gets hit a lot downfield, Its a light year for Bledsoe if he gets to midseason with only 23 sacks.

jcroft
10-07-2004, 03:22 PM
I think Trent's blocking alone, plus the effort he made in attempt to talke Coleman after the INT, put him on this list.

tk13
10-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Not to start any bad will, but on one hand Chief fans like to point out that Trent plays behind one of the best O-Lines in all of football (He Does) and one of the supporting facts to that is how seldom he is sacked . On the other hand there is a strong sentiment here that he should be on this list due to having started 52 straight games as if he was a human tackling dummy back there (ie Drew Bledsoe).

Bledsoe should be on the list, but at a cost .... all of the hits he has taken have made him a punch drunk QB back there. Green took about 23 or 24 sacks last year and isn't the kind of QB that gets hit a lot downfield, Its a light year for Bledsoe if he gets to midseason with only 23 sacks.
You didn't watch the game Monday Night, did you? The line hasn't been pass blocking for Trent nearly as well this year... he just doesn't have as many sacks because he's (somehow) found a way to be pretty elusive back there. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning make that list and their offensive lines are just as good at pass blocking...

Interesting list I guess.... I would say that there's only one other guy on that list that would throw a block for one of his guys if it was necessary and not bat an eyelash... and that's probably Favre. Green should get some credit for that... plus Green came back from a rough knee injury, and played most of the end of the 2002 season with an ankle injury that he never talked about until after the season was over...

jcroft
10-07-2004, 03:32 PM
It's true that Trent isn't sacked often. It's also true that being sacked often and getting up every time does imply "toughness" (I'm looking at you, David Carr). However, there are many measures of toughness, and I think Trent's willingness to block, his consecutive start streak, and his "mental toughness" he's displayed in overcoming so much adversity in his career are just as impressive as getting sacked a million times.

Skip Towne
10-07-2004, 03:40 PM

Oh yeah, he also played the last couple games of '02 after he had dislocated his shoulder.

He played all of '03 still suffering the effects of the shoulder separation from '02 (and then had surgery after '03), and is healthier/better now than he was last year.

Finally, he played several games early last year though the elbow on his throwing arm had swollen to a huge size (think it was bursitis).

Finally, he ALWAYS stands and delivers the ball, even if he knows he's going to get hit. No happy feet. No ducking to take the sack 2 seconds before the guy gets there.

That sounds more like injury prone than tough.

Skip Towne
10-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Please try to keep up.

MichaelH
10-07-2004, 03:46 PM
2. Steve McNair

Favre downplays every injury he has. He could have his arm torn off in one game, and by Wednesday is saying there's soreness, but nothing that will keep him out on Sunday.

I could give my reason for this but it might sound a little bit like Rush Limbaugh.

Bearcat
10-07-2004, 03:51 PM
I could give my reason for this but it might sound a little bit like Rush Limbaugh.

On a similar note, why hasn't ESPN hired McNabb yet? He can obviously handle two jobs, because he gets just as much airtime as the rest of the Countdown crew.

Guess it's better than last year though, when it was the Warren Sapp Show :shrug:

tk13
10-07-2004, 03:54 PM
On a similar note, why hasn't ESPN hired McNabb yet? He can obviously handle two jobs, because he gets just as much airtime as the rest of the Countdown crew.

Guess it's better than last year though, when it was the Warren Sapp Show :shrug:
To his credit though, at least his team is 4-0... better than a loud mouth DT getting all the air time when his team doesn't even have a winning record....

Rain Man
10-07-2004, 06:07 PM
I was watching a pregame show last week, and they mentioned that McNair is tough.

tk13
10-07-2004, 06:10 PM
You know, I wonder what people think about Steve McNair. Rain Man is a pretty football-savvy poster, I'd like to hear his thoughts on Steve McNair.

Brock
10-07-2004, 06:17 PM
I think Steve McNair is tough. I saw him on tv the other day and he was limping.

Hydrae
10-07-2004, 06:57 PM
What about that guy from Tennessee? Billy Volek or something like that.

No, wait, it's his backup....That McNair kid I was thinking of.

:)

Deberg_1990
10-07-2004, 07:04 PM
What?? No Kyle Boller, AJ feely, Jay Fedlier or Chris Simms on this list?? Thats an outrage!!!!!

Ultra Peanut
10-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Seriously. For someone to make this list AFTER Trent's toughness was put on display for the world to see on Monday Night Football and not include him on it... it's insane.

That's like leaving Priest off a "top two running backs in the NFL" list.

Inspector
10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
I ran over Steve McNair with a 4WD ford F-350. And when I backed up to see if he was OK, I ran over him again - by accident of course.

Anyway, he got up and was coming over to tell me he was OK just as a thunderstorm came by and struck him with lightning.

That knocked him down again just in time for this pit bull to run up and grab him by the throat.

Well, much to my surprise, he was able to throw the pit bull about 30 yards. Then he got up again and just as he was coming up to my door I opened it and he hit his funny bone on it.

He started wimpering and shaking his arm like he was gonna die or something. I thought, "wow, what a puss....."

KingPriest2
10-07-2004, 07:54 PM
I ran over Steve McNair with a 4WD ford F-350. And when I backed up to see if he was OK, I ran over him again - by accident of course.

Anyway, he got up and was coming over to tell me he was OK just as a thunderstorm came by and struck him with lightning.

That knocked him down again just in time for this pit bull to run up and grab him by the throat.

Well, much to my surprise, he was able to throw the pit bull about 30 yards. Then he got up again and just as he was coming up to my door I opened it and he hit his funny bone on it.

He started wimpering and shaking his arm like he was gonna die or something. I thought, "wow, what a puss....."

Awesome!

NaptownChief
10-07-2004, 08:01 PM
I think Steve McNair is tough. I saw him on tv the other day and he was limping.

He is one tough SOB...I mean goodness he is always hurt and that is the true mark of a tough guy.

Guys like Favre and Manning who try not to show anyone they are hurting and actually show up and take all the snaps they aren't tough...just lucky. :rolleyes:

KingPriest2
10-07-2004, 09:46 PM
I sent this to the writer of the article

I was wondering why Trent Green was not on your list.

Some info-

52 game starting streak

Lays himself out while on runs (against Buffalo in 2002 and on Monday night against Baltimore for example)

Lays hard blocks on defensive players (Buffalo in 2003 and Miami in 2002 for example)

Came back and developed into a Pro Bowl QB after a horrible knee injury.

Played 10 games in 2002 on a damaged ankle

The News
Quarterback Trent Green missed his second straight practice on Tuesday with a sore throwing elbow, but coach Dick Vermeil told the Kansas City Star that he expects Green to play against Dallas in the Chiefs' preseason finale. YET HE STILL PLAYED

October 24, 2003 10:11 AM ET
Green added to injury report
The News
Chiefs’ quarterback Trent Green was added to the team’s injury report on Thursday as probable after being held out of practice with a thigh injury. The Kansas City Star reports Green injured his thigh during the third quarter of Monday night’s win against the Raiders when he slid for a first down. “The leg needs a rest. The trainers recommended that he stay off it one more day,” head coach Dick Vermeil told the Star. He added that Green will likely practice on Friday.
Our View
This sounds more precautionary than anything serious. Fantasy players who were planning to start Green this week against the very tough Bills defense should go ahead and leave him in their lineup for now, but keep an eye on his status.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 7, 2003 4:26 PM ET
Green's head hurts
The News
According to the KC Star, Dick Vermeil said Trent Green was experiencing problems with headaches and may be listed on the injury report as either questionable or probable for the Packers game.

May 11, 2003 9:36 AM ET
Green discloses 2002 ankle injury
The News
Chiefs quarterback Trent Green is now admitting that he played 10 games last year with multiple ankle injuries. He didn’t miss a start, but had to wear a brace to protect the ankle, which suffered from torn ligaments and a chipped bone. "That's something you don't want to make public because if you do that, everyone goes after it," Green told the KC Star. "But it feels a lot better now. We're just working on range of motion and breaking up some of that scar tissue from playing on it."
Our View
Apparently, nobody noticed the injury because Green is a pocket passer. It doesn’t sound as if the injury is fully healed, which is a red flag, but there’s still a long time before he’ll be seeing an opponent.

December 17, 2002 9:49 AM ET
Green injured as well
The News
What the hell happened in Denver last week? Seemingly every offensive player for the Chiefs suffered an injury. Two running backs, two wide receivers, and now the KC Star is reporting that Trent Green has a cut on the thumb of his throwing hand that might keep him from practicing on Wednesday. YET HE SITLL PLAYED IN THE DENVER GAME GOT HURT EARLY IN THE 2ND HALF.

November 21, 2002 12:15 PM ET
Green upgraded to probable
The News
The KC Star is reporting that Trent Green took his normal reps in practice on Wednesday and showed no ill effects of his sore ankle. Green also has been bothered by sore ribs, but he will start Sunday's game in Seattle barring setback.

November 19, 2002 11:45 AM ET
Green to be listed as questionable
The News
Dick Vermeil told the KC Star on Monday that Trent Green will be listed as questionable with ankle and rib ailments when the injury report is issued Wednesday. "I don't think he's at risk of not playing," Vermeil said. "He's sore like a number of guys are after a physical game like that was." Green may be ready to practice Wednesday when the Chiefs begin preparations for the Seahawks.
Our View
Green will play. Count on that.

October 21, 2002 1:56 PM ET
Green plays despite ankle sprain
The News
Trent Green missed much practice time last week with a sprained left ankle, but he started Sunday's game against the Broncos and played fairly well. His streak of 12 straight games with a TD pass was snapped, but he directed six scoring drives. Green will start this week's home game against the Raiders before getting a chance to rest over the bye week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 19, 2002 1:39 AM ET
Trent Green expected to start
The News
Trent Green has been nursing a sprained ankle, but he has gotten better throughout the week. Per ESPN.com, Green took most of the reps on Friday, which was good news because he took less than half the reps on Thursday and none on Wednesday. Looks like the plan to ease Green back into action is paying off.
Our View
We'll be shocked if Green does not start Sunday's game, and he should play well against a Broncos' defense that defends the run better than the pass.

October 18, 2002 11:28 AM ET
Green practices on a limited basis
The News
After missing Wednesday's practice to rest his sprained ankle, Trent Green took about half the reps Thursday. Backup Todd Collins has been getting more playing time, just in case Green can't go. "I think (Green's) planning on playing and I think we'll plan on playing him,'' Dick Vermeil said. "He took limited reps today, that's all I can say.'' Green spoke to the KC Star: "It felt good to get back out there and practice. I'm still planning on playing. Hopefully, I can do even more (on Friday). It's the coach's decision. It's whatever he decides. But I'm anticipating playing." The KC Star has Green listed as probable.
Our View
This is a huge game against the Broncos, and Green is the league leader in TD passes, so we highly doubt he misses this start. That said, it remains to be seen how long he'll be able to go against a nasty defense.

October 16, 2002 9:12 PM ET
Green nursing ankle injury
The News
After missing practice on Wednesday with an ankle injury, head coach Dick Vermeil described quarterback Trent Green as "60-40" to play on Sunday against Denver. Vermeil told the AP "I don't know if he will practice tomorrow. (The ankle) is responding. But it's pretty darn sore."
Our View
Green injured the ankle last Sunday, but finished the game. If he can't play on Sunday, Todd Collins get the start. The Broncos defense has played well this year, so even if Green plays, you may want to consider another option at quarterback just to be safe.

October 14, 2002 12:51 PM ET
Green re-injures ankle
The News
According to the KC Star, Trent Green re-injured his sprained left ankle in Sunday's loss to the Chargers. Green played very well despite the injury, and is expected to start Sunday's tilt with the Broncos.
Our View
Keep starting Green, who threw three more TD passes on Sunday. Two of them went to rookie Marc Boerigter, who suffered a sprained knee during the game. His availability for the Denver game is in question.

September 16, 2002 12:12 PM ET
Green, Kennison add injury to insult
The News
Were you high on Trent Green and Eddie Kennison entering Sunday's game against the Jaguars? Us too. Sadly, Green had just 199 yards and a TD, while Kennison added 30 yards on two catches. Green was hobbling around following a left ankle sprain, and Kennison suffered a left knee bruise, according to the KC Star.

For Starters, T. Green Makes His Case
By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, December 20, 1998; Page D9

Trent Green has shown the Washington Redskins over and over this season that while he may not be the NFL's most gifted quarterback, he is among its toughest. He showed it again yesterday, refusing to flinch against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' ferocious pass rush and shrugging off nearly three quarters of mediocre play to help the Redskins gain a gratifying, 20-16 victory at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium

I think you will hopefully get my point

Please respond to this Thank you

NaptownChief
10-07-2004, 10:05 PM
The main reason Green doesn't make most "toughest QB" lists is that there is about 3 original thoughts in the media per year that are just regurgitated over and over again and Green being a tough guy just happens to not be one of the three.

The three for the 2004 season appear to be:

1) Steve McNair is the toughest SOB in football despite the fact he is hurt more than Jim McMahon(cut and paste from previous seasons original ideas)

2)Micheal Vick oh Michael Vick :hump:

3)Ray Lewis oh Ray Lewis :hump:

So there just wasn't room for Green this year but maybe next.

Cntrygal
10-07-2004, 11:51 PM
I was wondering if Bledsoe would make the list when I seen the title of this thread..... I just wish that it was for other reasons that the damn porous OLine.

Kraut
10-08-2004, 04:05 AM
I can't stand the Pats but all he has done is win.

MichaelH
10-08-2004, 06:02 AM
We're all wondering why Trent Green isn't on the tough guy list. A few weeks back, Terry Bradshaw had his ten best QB's segment. It was nearly identical to the tough guy list. It just solidifies what we already know, the media ignores anyone that wears a Chief's jersey unless it's absolutely necessary. Another snuff occurs on NFL.com. There was a big write up about Tiki Barber rushing for the most yards in the NFC. What about the AFC? I didn't see anything mentioned about Priest. He has more yards than Barber and at least 2 more TD's than any other back. Until the Chiefs win 12 straight, Trent throws for 4000 yards and 30 TD's and Priest rushes for over 2000 yards will any of them get any respect. :cuss:

jspchief
10-08-2004, 07:45 AM
The main reason Green doesn't make most "toughest QB" lists is that there is about 3 original thoughts in the media per year that are just regurgitated over and over again and Green being a tough guy just happens to not be one of the three.

The three for the 2004 season appear to be:

1) Steve McNair is the toughest SOB in football despite the fact he is hurt more than Jim McMahon(cut and paste from previous seasons original ideas)

2)Micheal Vick oh Michael Vick :hump:

3)Ray Lewis oh Ray Lewis :hump:

So there just wasn't room for Green this year but maybe next.

The NFL media in a nutshell. Rep.

David.
10-08-2004, 10:17 AM
I can't stand the Pats but all he has done is win.

what does that have to do with being tough? If the list was like..."QB's born to win" I'd totally see Brady as number 1. But toughest? What has he done that's tough?

David.
10-08-2004, 10:21 AM

oh, I skipped this post. Eh maybe he "kinda" tough.