PDA

View Full Version : Detailed analysis of Chiefs Front Seven against the Ravens.

Chiefnj
10-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Credit to tiptap for finding this article:

Every Play Counts: Chiefs’ Front Seven

By Michael David Smith

The Chiefs’ defense got off to a bad start on Monday night. Facing the Baltimore Ravens, the team with 2,000-yard rusher Jamal Lewis and an abysmal passing game, the Chiefs started the game with four defensive linemen and four linebackers on the field – a formation that practically screams to the opposition, “We dare you to pass on us.”

So what did the Ravens do on the first play against this defense that was stacked to stop the run? They handed off to Jamal Lewis for a gain of 18 yards. Ouch. On that first play defensive tackle John Browning bought a fake so completely that ABC ought to hire him as a cameraman, and Lewis ran right where Browning should have been.

I watched the Chiefs’ front seven on every play of Monday night’s contest, and on that first drive I thought I was going to see some of the worst defense the NFL provides. Later in the drive I saw Chiefs tackle Ryan Sims trip, I saw Ravens tackle Orlando Brown manhandle Chiefs end Eric Hicks, and I saw end Vonnie Holliday provide absolutely no pass rush on a third down conversion pass by Ravens quarterback Kyle Boller.

But by the end of the game that Boller pass was still the Ravens’ only third down conversion, and I had seen some good stuff from the Chiefs’ front seven. This unit will never be confused with the 1985 Bears, but neither is it the worst in the league.

This was an atypical game in that the Chiefs’ offensive game plan was obviously an attempt to keep their defense off the field – runs and short passes were the order of the day. The Baltimore offense, likewise, was only too happy to oblige the Chiefs’ plans by giving Jamal Lewis the ball only 15 times, even though he was effective when he got the chance. And let’s remember that I’m judging the Chiefs’ front seven against an offense with a bad quarterback and bad receivers but a great left tackle in Jonathan Ogden. I tried to adjust my grades to consider who the matchups were, but that’s not always possible.

Every NFL team has its own method for grading players, but I simplified things by simply counting good plays and bad plays. Here’s what I found:

Player ______Position _____Good plays __Bad plays
Lionel Dalton _____DT _________7 _______2
Eric Hicks ________DE _________4 _______2
Scott Fujita _____OLB _________2 _______1
Monty Beisel _____MLB _________2 _______4
Gary Stills ________DE _________1 _______0
Junior Siavii _______DT _________1 _______2
Kawika Mitchell _____MLB _________1 _______2
Shawn Barber _____OLB _________1 _______3
Ryan Sims ________DT _________0 _______3
Vonnie Holliday _____DE _________1 _______8
John Browning _____DT _________0 _______7

Note that Fujita and Sims both left the game because of injuries. Fujita looked pretty good before he left; on one play he made a tackle for a loss even though the entire defensive line in front of him got pushed back by the Ravens’ offensive line.

I had never noticed Dalton before, but he really stuck out on Monday night. Dalton entered the league as an undrafted free agent out of Eastern Michigan, and he’s played with the Ravens, , and Redskins before the Chiefs signed him this year. It was a great signing. In fact, my biggest problem with the Chiefs was that they took Dalton out too often to rotate him with Sims, Browning, and Siavii. On the first three plays of the second half, Dalton got one sack and great penetration on the other two plays. Then, oddly, the Chiefs took Dalton out, and the Ravens almost converted on third-and-21. That same drive made me lose a lot of respect for Shawn Barber. On two different plays he dropped into pass coverage and lazily jogged around, looking only mildly interested in what was happening around him. I can’t imagine what Gunther Cunningham will say to Barber when they watch that series on film.

Beisel has been labeled a special teams player and nothing more, but in this game he was no worse than the Chiefs’ other linebackers, and he sure looks like he’s trying harder than Barber. He’s OK in pursuit on running plays, but he looks lost in pass coverage.

When he was on the Packers I always thought Vonnie Holliday was a good pass rusher and adequate against the run, but he’s terrible now. Aside from one third down pass he deflected, he did nothing. And if you’re thinking he did nothing because he was going against Jonathan Ogden, think again. On consecutive plays during the Ravens’ late-game drive that resulted in a Jamal Lewis touchdown, Holliday was single-blocked easily, first by tight end Terry Jones and then by tight end Daniel Wilcox.

Remember how badly the Chiefs wanted Sims in the draft? They made a big trade with the Cowboys to move up ahead of the Vikings, who also wanted Sims. The Vikings ended up with left tackle Bryant McKinnie, and the Cowboys took safety Roy Williams. Is there any doubt who got the worst of that? Sims was shoved five yards downfield on one play and eight yards downfield on another. I just don’t think he’s physically strong enough to compete as an NFL defensive tackle.

Watching this game made me think a lot of Greg , who was forced out as the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator in the offseason. The Chiefs’ front seven last year didn’t suffer because of bad schemes; it suffered because of bad players. The defense looks a bit better than it did last year, and if it continues to improve (I believe he means to say Gunther, not )will get the credit, but Dalton deserves it. He’s a player. If the Chiefs could find six more like him, they’d be on to something.

Each week, Michael David Smith looks at one specific player or one aspect of a team on every single play of the previous game. Standard caveat applies: Yes, one game is not necessarily an indicator of performance over the entire season. If you have a player or a unit you would like tracked in Every Play Counts, suggest it by emailing mike-at-footballoutsiders.com. Next week: A special edition we’ll call Every Team Counts.

posted 10-6-2004 at 10:03 AM by Michael David Smith || Every Play Counts http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ra...hp?p=1828&cat=5

the Talking Can
10-08-2004, 08:25 AM
I'm most surprised by Brownings stat and least surprised by Holliday's.

and then there's this:

Remember how badly the Chiefs wanted Sims in the draft? They made a big trade with the Cowboys to move up ahead of the Vikings, who also wanted Sims. The Vikings ended up with left tackle Bryant McKinnie, and the Cowboys took safety Roy Williams. Is there any doubt who got the worst of that? Sims was shoved five yards downfield on one play and eight yards downfield on another. I just don’t think he’s physically strong enough to compete as an NFL defensive tackle.

Rain Man
10-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Interesting stuff. I've proposed a time or two that we divvy up observing assignments and mete out grades for individual Chiefs like this. If we have 3 or 4 people assigning grades, we could probably come up with some accurate stats.

Gaz
10-08-2004, 08:32 AM
If we had 3 or 4 Planeteers observe the sun set, we would have 3 or 4 different accounts as to what happened, who missed his assignment and why Carl Peterson is to blame.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinks the Planet would have better luck herding cats.

the Talking Can
10-08-2004, 08:33 AM
[font=Garamond][size=4]
If we had 3 or 4 Planeteers observe the sun set, we would have 3 or 4 different accounts as to what happened, who missed his assignment and why Carl Peterson is to blame.

damn, rep for that...

Rain Man
10-08-2004, 08:35 AM

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinks the Planet would have better luck herding cats.

Well, admittedly so. I'm thinking we'd do it like Olympic judging, though - toss out the high and low scores. I'm relying on the law of averages to combine all of the fringe elements into one normal center.

the Talking Can
10-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Well, admittedly so. I'm thinking we'd do it like Olympic judging, though - toss out the high and low scores. I'm relying on the law of averages to combine all of the fringe elements into one normal center.

model it after the paralympics and you might be on to something

Gaz
10-08-2004, 08:38 AM
I have come to the conclusion that there is no center to the Planet.

We are 100% fringe, throwing rocks at each other across a vast void.

xoxo~
Gaz
Picturing a Twinkie with no filling.

Rain Man
10-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Should we call this the Gaz Doughnut Planet Theory? Chiefsplanet physicists may want a name so they can study it.

Gaz
10-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Ummm…doughnuts…

xoxo~
Gaz
Easily distracted.

Rain Man
10-08-2004, 08:43 AM
You're getting a glazed look.

Frosty
10-08-2004, 08:43 AM
So what did the Ravens do on the first play against this defense that was stacked to stop the run? They handed off to Jamal Lewis for a gain of 18 yards. Ouch. On that first play defensive tackle John Browning bought a fake so completely that ABC ought to hire him as a cameraman, and Lewis ran right where Browning should have been.

:BS:

They faked the inside run and pitched it out to Lewis. Bad defense on the play, but it wasn't like he ran untouched through a stacked line.

I personally think from my impressions of the game that this article is full of similarly innaccurate statements, but I would have to go back and rewatch the game.

Gaz
10-08-2004, 08:45 AM
You're getting a glazed look.

I love puns.

xoxo~
Gaz
Also easily amused.

jspchief
10-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Shawn Barber is a guy that seems to get a free pass quite a bit on the Planet. I was pretty hyped when we landed him, as I'm sure many other in here were. He's done very little to live up to the hype. Like this guy said, he's pretty non-existant in pass coverage. I can live with that if he's tough against the run, but he isn't. He over-pursues almost as much as Beisel, and I consider him the worst tackler on the team. I can't count the number of times I've seen a player get 3-4 more yards because he tried to tackle with his shoulder and forgot to use his arms. The most recent was a hit on Lewis near the sideline where he made no attempt to wrap up.

Holliday loooks like a certified FA bust, but Barber hasn't been all that outstanding either. What I'd give to have Donnie Edwards back.:shake:

Swanman
10-08-2004, 08:49 AM
:BS:

They faked the inside run and pitched it out to Lewis. Bad defense on the play, but it wasn't like he ran untouched through a stacked line.

I personally think from my impressions of the game that this article is full of similarly innaccurate statements, but I would have to go back and rewatch the game.

I agree, that statement stuck out to me as well. In my opinion, that was just a damn good playcall on the part of the Ravens. The Ravens are a team whose bread and butter is running inside the tackles so the Chiefs were keying on that fact. As a result, the Ravens used a great fake and pitch to the outside to exploit that. However, I wasn't worried because those plays usually only work about once per game once the defense sees it (with the obvious exception being Plummer's damn bootleg), so the Ravens were forced to go back to running between the tackles and the Chiefs did a great job stopping those plays, especially in the first three quarters.

jspchief
10-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Another note on the 4 LB set we used on that first play. We use that in goalline situations a lot, and it never works. Mitchell can be counted on to overpursue and cover the wrong gap, leaving the RB to get in fairly easily. I don't know if he's thinking too much or what, but he has shown very little nose for the ball.

the Talking Can
10-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Shawn Barber is a guy that seems to get a free pass quite a bit on the Planet. I was pretty hyped when we landed him, as I'm sure many other in here were. He's done very little to live up to the hype. Like this guy said, he's pretty non-existant in pass coverage. I can live with that if he's tough against the run, but he isn't. He over-pursues almost as much as Beisel, and I consider him the worst tackler on the team. I can't count the number of times I've seen a player get 3-4 more yards because he tried to tackle with his shoulder and forgot to use his arms. The most recent was a hit on Lewis near the sideline where he made no attempt to wrap up.

Holliday loooks like a certified FA bust, but Barber hasn't been all that outstanding either. What I'd give to have Donnie Edwards back.:shake:

yeah, and I thought Barber was supposed to be good in coverage....kinda like Holliday was a "run stopper" I guess

Frankie
10-08-2004, 08:53 AM

I remember wanting Takeo Spikes over Barber when they were both available as FAs. I'm quite disappointed in Barber. Does anybody know how Spikes is doing?

Frankie
10-08-2004, 08:57 AM

What is it with the Eagles 'D' players when they go to other teams? :shrug: Barber? Hugh Douglas? And last offseason I really wanted us to sign either CB Taylor or Vincent from that team. But I'm not hearing much about them either.

Frosty
10-08-2004, 09:03 AM
What is it with the Eagles 'D' players when they go to other teams? :shrug: Barber? Hugh Douglas? And last offseason I really wanted us to sign either CB Taylor or Vincent from that team. But I'm not hearing much about them either.

Vincent's hurt and Taylor is the nickle back for the Seahawks.

Chiefnj
10-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Does anybody know how Spikes is doing?

Spikes is thinking he should have signed with a playoff contender instead of Buffalo.

jspchief
10-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Vincent had one good game this year, but tore cartilage in his knee in week four. He's out for a couple of weeks for arthroscopic surgery.

Bobby Taylor is riding the bench behind a young DB in Seattle. He'd probably have replaced McCleon by now if he played for us, or he'd at least be a nickel. Hope he's happy with his choice of teams.

Frosty
10-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Bobby Taylor is riding the bench behind a young DB in Seattle. He'd probably have replaced McCleon by now if he played for us, or he'd at least be a nickel. Hope he's happy with his choice of teams.

Well, he gets a lot of playing time in the nickle on the #1 defense in the league on an undefeated team AND gets to play in one of the better new stadiums in the beautiful Pacific Northwest AND got a fat paycheck. Life could be worse, I suppose.

jspchief
10-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Well, he gets a lot of playing time in the nickle on the #1 defense in the league on an undefeated team AND gets to play in one of the better new stadiums in the beautiful Pacific Northwest AND got a fat paycheck. Life could be worse, I suppose.
He's not a Chief4321

Frankie
10-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Spikes is thinking he should have signed with a playoff contender instead of Buffalo.
Everybody's a comedian. ;) But HOW IS HE PLAYING?

Deberg_1990
10-08-2004, 01:40 PM
We have many overhyped players on this team....Sims, Holliday, Barber, Hicks and Woods...If they were all gone next year and replaced, i coud live with it..

KingPriest2
10-08-2004, 02:11 PM
OK

suds79
10-08-2004, 02:38 PM
We have many overhyped players on this team....Sims, Holliday, Barber, Hicks and Woods...If they were all gone next year and replaced, i coud live with it..

Exactly.

If fact, I have have a hard time naming 1 defensive player in this team that if he were gone, I'd really miss him. :hmmm:

patteeu
10-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Interesting stuff. I've proposed a time or two that we divvy up observing assignments and mete out grades for individual Chiefs like this. If we have 3 or 4 people assigning grades, we could probably come up with some accurate stats.

That's a great idea. It would be interesting to have each guy give a play by play analysis of a specific player.

This guy's stats bother me a little bit. He has a total of 20 good plays compared to 34 bad plays. I know the offense helped the defense out a lot against the Ravens, but it sure seemed like the defense played better than that during their 20 minutes on the field.

tiptap
10-08-2004, 03:32 PM
That's a great idea. It would be interesting to have each guy give a play by play analysis of a specific player.

This guy's stats bother me a little bit. He has a total of 20 good plays compared to 34 bad plays. I know the offense helped the defense out a lot against the Ravens, but it sure seemed like the defense played better than that during their 20 minutes on the field.

If your read from the site there is a thread discussion. The author did not include those plays that he considered neutral. The plays were just the good plays vs the bad plays that he saw from individual players. That means there were plenty of plays not represented in this count. In the thread there are discussions that the neutral count should be included.

whoman69
10-08-2004, 04:09 PM
I have come to the conclusion that there is no center to the Planet.

We are 100% fringe, throwing rocks at each other across a vast void.

xoxo~
Gaz
Picturing a Twinkie with no filling.

Its even worse if you go to the DC forum.

TEX
10-08-2004, 04:12 PM
He's totally wrong when judging Sims's play last game as he didn't give him credit for a single good play. Just watch the game again and judge for yourself. I counted 4 good plays that would be good for anyone, not just Ryan Sims. Our _efense is weak because all we have is 1 legit LB on the team (Fuj), the rest would be hard pressed to see the field on most NFL defenses.

whoman69
10-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Everybody's a comedian. ;) But HOW IS HE PLAYING?
He was an animal against us last year, but had little help on the field with him.

patteeu
10-10-2004, 09:03 AM
If your read from the site there is a thread discussion. The author did not include those plays that he considered neutral. The plays were just the good plays vs the bad plays that he saw from individual players. That means there were plenty of plays not represented in this count. In the thread there are discussions that the neutral count should be included.

I know, but I'd still like to see more definition of what constitutes a bad play (or a good one for that matter). It's hard to believe that the defense could do as well as they did when they had nearly twice as many bad plays by defenders as they had good ones.

tiptap
10-10-2004, 10:03 AM
I know, but I'd still like to see more definition of what constitutes a bad play (or a good one for that matter). It's hard to believe that the defense could do as well as they did when they had nearly twice as many bad plays by defenders as they had good ones.

Choose Sims or Fajita, both who didn't play as much, and look at your Tivo or whatever and judge for yourself and see if your judgement is radically different. If the play goes away from the player and the player isn't involve no decision. If the play goes in their area and they make a stop of less than 3.3 yds a positive (average of running play) more and are out of position to make play negative. Passing downs who are they up against and are they successful. Look for yourself and let us know if the evidence for you is favorable or not.

patteeu
10-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Choose Sims or Fajita, both who didn't play as much, and look at your Tivo or whatever and judge for yourself and see if your judgement is radically different. If the play goes away from the player and the player isn't involve no decision. If the play goes in their area and they make a stop of less than 3.3 yds a positive (average of running play) more and are out of position to make play negative. Passing downs who are they up against and are they successful. Look for yourself and let us know if the evidence for you is favorable or not.

First of all, I don't have the ability to look at it myself. I don't have TIVO and I don't record the games on video.

Second, it wouldn't be "evidence for [me]" because I'm not making a claim. I'm expressing skepticism about this guy's analysis. He might be right, I'm just unwilling to take his word for it.

go bo
10-10-2004, 11:51 AM
First of all, I don't have the ability to look at it myself. I don't have TIVO and I don't record the games on video.

Second, it wouldn't be "evidence for [me]" because I'm not making a claim. I'm expressing skepticism about this guy's analysis. He might be right, I'm just unwilling to take his word for it.why's that?

are you some kind of chiefts fan or something??

cdcox
10-10-2004, 11:55 AM

Personally, I always have trouble distinguishing whether a given play goes for 3.2 yards or 3.4 yards.

go bo
10-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Personally, I always have trouble distinguishing whether a given play goes for 3.2 yards or 3.4 yards.picky, picky...

guestimate!

that's what the author of this article seems to be doing... :rolleyes:

cdcox
10-10-2004, 12:04 PM
picky, picky...

guestimate!

that's what the author of this article seems to be doing... :rolleyes:

I guess that I really don't buy into the premise that only 2 players on our DL had more than one good play in a game where we held the NFL rushing leader from last season to less than 80 yds and allowed only two sustained drives all game long (ignoring the gadget play that falls on the safeties to cover). You don't do that well on defense unless you have lots of guys making big contributions.

His numbers don't pass the "does the evaluation seem to reflect reality" test.

patteeu
10-10-2004, 02:34 PM
why's that?

are you some kind of chiefts fan or something??

You busted me! :D

I'm sure that has something to do with it, but it also has to do with my general impression of how the defense did when I watched the game compared to the impression I would have if I just looked at this guy's analysis.

patteeu
10-10-2004, 02:35 PM
I guess that I really don't buy into the premise that only 2 players on our DL had more than one good play in a game where we held the NFL rushing leader from last season to less than 80 yds and allowed only two sustained drives all game long (ignoring the gadget play that falls on the safeties to cover). You don't do that well on defense unless you have lots of guys making big contributions.

His numbers don't pass the "does the evaluation seem to reflect reality" test.

You said it better than I did.

David.
10-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Exactly.

If fact, I have have a hard time naming 1 defensive player in this team that if he were gone, I'd really miss him. :hmmm:

Wesley, Fooj, Warfield, Hicks(believe it or not, he IS the leader of the D after all) I'd really miss all of these guys.