PDA

View Full Version : Archie's Bye Week Thoughts

Archie Bunker
10-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Since I only get to post when I am back home since my computer crashed I thought I would post some random thoughts that I have been thinking about for a couple of weeks.

The Chiefs are right back on track. The Monday night win was as impressive as any win for any team this season. This team is extremely confident and have a bye week to tie up a few loose ends before beginning the tough 12 game stretch run.

Looking at the schedule I believe 10-6 is very doable and it should be enough to win the division. Winning at Jacksonville is crucial IMO. It keeps the momentum and going into a stretch against Atlanta and Indy momemtum is key. If the Chiefs come out that stretch 4-3 or even 3-4 I believe the Chiefs will beat Tampa, NO, SD twice, Den, Oakland. That leaves the NE, at Oak,and at Ten as the only games that the Chiefs might loose.

The offensive line is awesome. All the lineman are performing at the top of their games. It was as impressive performance as I have ever seen.

Green is back on track. The key seems to be Chris Horn. Green trust him more than any other receiver on the team. When Kennison and Wilson return watch out. This team will be very explosive. With Kennison, Hall, Morton, and Horn the WR corp is going to be a solid group. I was very hard on Morton the past few seasons but he has been solid all year.

Holmes is absolutely amazing. I almost take him for granted but when I look at what he has done since joining the Chiefs it is almost unreal. He is the best running back in football without question. Other people might say LT but no running back in football has as good as an all around package as Holmes. His patience is unmatched. He has great speed and hands. The thing that impresses me the most is his power. For a smaller back Holmes runs as powerful as any running back in the league.

Gunther has this defense moving in the right direction. The defensive line is very good. Since moving Browning to end and putting Dalton in the line has been impressive both against the run and pass. The secondary is 3/4 of the way there. Warfield has played at a Pro Bowl level and as well as any CB the Chiefs have had since Hasty. Woods and Wesley are outstanding. McCleon just isnt getting it done. If he doesnt turn it around I wouldnt mind seeing bar tee get a look. Even though he has taken a beating around here he is bigger and more athletic and if Gun has tought him anything I believe he could be an improvement over McCleon. Imagine what this defense could be if it had even decent LBs. Fujita is a stud but Beisel and Barber have been mediocre. Barber has been a disappointment. Either Beisel or Mitchell has to step up. If Barber and either Beisel or Mitchell step it up this defense could be one the leagues best in the 2nd half of the the season.

On special teams Tynes is one of my favorite Chiefs. I am confident with him kicking anthing under 60 yards. Baker is the worst punter I have ever seen. I cant wait to get Cheek back. The coverage units are terrible. The losses of Boe, Finley and others have hurt these units. It is correctible and Ganz is a good coach. After watching the rerturn game this year it really makes what Dante Hall did last year all that more amazing. He will break one or two this season it is just a matter of time.

Its been a rough season so far and I cant wait to see where it takes us. :thumb:

teedubya
10-10-2004, 01:05 AM
rep for you Mr Bunker... Nice to have your analysis. I too think the game against the Jags is crucial for momentum... Very strong take.

See, some of you weak ass bastards need to take lessons from this guys analysis... get with the program. Sheesh.

Fairplay
10-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Im sorry to rain on your parade archie but my thoughts are that are defense so far just doesn't look that good to get us over the 8-8 mark. Look at the caliber of teams we are playing coming up.
Keep in mind against the Ravens they have a poor offense, with the exception of J Lewis. Which can make most any d look good.
Though Cincy the week before got ran over the week before.

I hope to be proven wrong believe me.

Phobia
10-10-2004, 02:28 AM
I think Priest Holmes is a very good back. But put LT2 behind this offensive line and see what he does.

There's several more athletic and explosive backs in the league who could likely duplicate or surpass Priest's numbers behind our line, IMO. The best things about Priest is his knowledge of the blocking scheme, patience, and ability to setup his blocks.

Nice analysis, AB. I'm not ready to throw the season away either, but I'm also not ready to set myself up for disappointment by talking about the playoffs just yet. We have no idea which Chiefs are going to show up the final 12 games.

royr17
10-10-2004, 04:01 AM
I agree but you gotta give Beisel a little credit he is learning a position that he hasnt played before, he went from DE to MLB, got move to OLB because he wasnt getting to play at MLB but than had to move back to MLB cause Mitchell got hurt, I can say one thing for sure Beisel over purses the play, but he is getting better, plus i rather have Mitchell as OLB instead MLB cause i think Mitchell would be a better OLB, he over purses too and cant shed the blocks so we'll see.

But as far as the season goes i see them starting to gell together, I think that win against Baltimore was a big boost towards the team and i love for whenever we come back from the bye for us to go into Jacksonville and win.

As far as the defense is concerned, it is getting better, i could see by week 10 this defense starts causing all kinds of problems, and who is our weak part on the defense ? Dexter McCleon no doubt about it. He's just not fit to play this scheme, and I think Bar tee would do alot better than mccleon.

Special teams has been a complete dissapoinment this year. I dont know whats happening, we are getting better punts and kickoffs but our coverages arent as good as last year, and Gansz needs to get it fixed.

But thats my take on the season so far and look for us to go at least 10-6 or 9-7.

royr17
10-10-2004, 04:04 AM
But hopefully next year Barber will be gone, Fox will be starting, Beisel will stay inside and move Mitchell outside and Scanlon make the team.

I know here i go again on the Scanlon kid but the only reason he didnt make it cause of there love for Jones.

With no Jones he makes the team no doubt about it and he probably needs a year of NFL Europe to develop is the way the chiefs sounds about him.

But the coaching staff really likes the kid, he can tackle and read a play like Maslowski but is quicker than Maz.

So hopefully he'll make it next year and prove wrong all of the Rich Scanlon doubters.

Phobia
10-10-2004, 04:18 AM
But hopefully next year Barber will be gone, Fox will be starting, Beisel will stay inside and move Mitchell outside and Scanlon make the team.

I know here i go again on the Scanlon kid but the only reason he didnt make it cause of there love for Jones.

With no Jones he makes the team no doubt about it and he probably needs a year of NFL Europe to develop is the way the chiefs sounds about him.

But the coaching staff really likes the kid, he can tackle and read a play like Maslowski but is quicker than Maz.

So hopefully he'll make it next year and prove wrong all of the Rich Scanlon doubters.

Fox? Are you kidding? What do we know about Fox at this point? What makes you think he's any better than Barber? I don't see Mitchell moving outside, not unless he bulks up.

Scanlon didn't make the team because he wasn't good enough to beat out any of the other backers.

The coaching staff likes EVERYBODY at training camp. They make all the rookies sound like they'll be starting and then - whoops - they're cut.

Rich Scanlon is gone. I'm sorry that didn't work out for you. I was a big Nate Kaeding fan. That didn't work out for the Chiefs, but you don't see me crying all over Nate Kaeding in half my posts. Let it go and people will stop flipping you shit about Scanlon.

royr17
10-10-2004, 06:51 AM
I just think Fox will be a better Linebacker than Barber phil, plus Scanlon isnt gone, he's on the practice squad. :D

royr17
10-10-2004, 06:52 AM
Plus on another note Mitchell played Outside Linebacker and Inside Linebacker in college, so he can play the outside position.

royr17
10-10-2004, 06:55 AM
I mean I dont know if Fox will do any better than Barber has but Barber has been a complete dissapointment.

Hopefully we get to see what Fox can do since he returns from Injury this week.

Just shows how stupid the Chiefs were to go after Barber instead of Takeo Spikes.

DaWolf
10-10-2004, 07:18 AM
I mean I dont know if Fox will do any better than Barber has but Barber has been a complete dissapointment.

Hopefully we get to see what Fox can do since he returns from Injury this week.

Just shows how stupid the Chiefs were to go after Barber instead of Takeo Spikes.

Barber was supposed to be cheaper and also fit into GRob's scheme better. The thinking was that if GRob had some speed at LB, his defense would work. Sorry Carl, you were dumb for not getting rid of him when you had the chance, so you had to go pay for guys like Barber and McCleon.

That being said, I still have hopes for Barber. If Gunther can work him into the scheme and if Barber picks it up, I think he could wind up doing a solid job. After all, he wasn't exactly known as the "weak link" in Philly's defense when he was there. But it's up to Barber to step it up.

I'm still quite leery of some of Gun's calls though. As I mentioned in another post, he went with a blitz on 4th down on BMore's last play on MNF and had we been playing against a better QB, that pass to Johnson is probably not barely overthrown and either we're looking at a loss or a tie game. Wesley was burned on that play 1 on 1. It's OK to call if you have a well designed blitz or blitzers who can get there. The problem was the blitz got nowhere near Boller. We still have a lot of things we need to tighten up on defense before I'm convinced we've turned the corner, especially with better offenses coming in here soon...

royr17
10-10-2004, 07:32 AM
Well frow what i understand Barber signed for the same amount that Spikes signed for right ? 30 million for 7 years.

Plus I dont see McCleon being back next year he's getting older, looks like he has lost a step and is not fit for the style of defense gunther runs.

Plus Barber has been missing tackles all over the place and over running the play just like Beisel. The only player that has been doing very well at Linebacker has been Scott Fujita.

That being said i look for all 3 of the players we signed last year to be gone next year and that is Vonnie Holliday, Shawn Barber, and Dexter McCleon i hope.

Cormac
10-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Excellent post Archie.

The Chiefs are right back on track. The Monday night win was as impressive as any win for any team this season. This team is extremely confident and have a bye week to tie up a few loose ends before beginning the tough 12 game stretch run.

Looking at the schedule I believe 10-6 is very doable and it should be enough to win the division. Winning at Jacksonville is crucial IMO. It keeps the momentum and going into a stretch against Atlanta and Indy momemtum is key. If the Chiefs come out that stretch 4-3 or even 3-4 I believe the Chiefs will beat Tampa, NO, SD twice, Den, Oakland. That leaves the NE, at Oak,and at Ten as the only games that the Chiefs might loose.

I can see the Chiefs winning 5 of their last 6 and getting in at 9-7. They are up against it now though. I'll be happy if they can go 3-3 in their next 6 games. They need to beat Atlanta, win at NO, and win at least one of the road games in Florida, and then take their chances against Indy and NE. That leaves them at 4-6 and needing to go 5-1 in the division games and at Tennessee to finish out the year. A

The offensive line is awesome. All the lineman are performing at the top of their games. It was as impressive performance as I have ever seen.

Yes it is. That was a phenomenal performance in the noise, and against that defense. I was amazed with Jordan Black. We need some of those younger guys to step up in the next year or two.

Green is back on track. The key seems to be Chris Horn. Green trust him more than any other receiver on the team. When Kennison and Wilson return watch out. This team will be very explosive. With Kennison, Hall, Morton, and Horn the WR corp is going to be a solid group. I was very hard on Morton the past few seasons but he has been solid all year.

Horn is doing great. It's amazing how some guys just play better on the big stage. We miss Kennison HUGELY, IMO. He is easily the best pure WR on our squad, which says a lot about our squad. But our options are severly limited when he's out. I had high hopes for Wilson this year, but it'll be really tough for him to break into the squad in mid-season and have an impact as a rookie, after his first serious injury (IIRC). It'll be good to get him back, but I don't expect much from him in 2004 now.

Holmes is absolutely amazing. I almost take him for granted but when I look at what he has done since joining the Chiefs it is almost unreal. He is the best running back in football without question. Other people might say LT but no running back in football has as good as an all around package as Holmes. His patience is unmatched. He has great speed and hands. The thing that impresses me the most is his power. For a smaller back Holmes runs as powerful as any running back in the league.

Let me start by saying, I wouldn't swap Holmes for any other runner in this league. But on pure talent alone, he's not the best. He's the best in the league in terms of patience and vision, IMO, and is an extremely hard runner. He's also one of the best receiving backs. But he has mediocre speed for a starter, and his ability has as much to do with his attitude, his preparation, his focus and the blocking in front of him, IMO. It feels strange to say it, but I think that talent is one of his lesser gifts.

Gunther has this defense moving in the right direction. The defensive line is very good. Since moving Browning to end and putting Dalton in the line has been impressive both against the run and pass.

I can't believe what we're getting out of Dalton. What a bonus that is.

The secondary is 3/4 of the way there. Warfield has played at a Pro Bowl level and as well as any CB the Chiefs have had since Hasty. Woods and Wesley are outstanding. McCleon just isnt getting it done. If he doesnt turn it around I wouldnt mind seeing bar tee get a look. Even though he has taken a beating around here he is bigger and more athletic and if Gun has tought him anything I believe he could be an improvement over McCleon.

I've always been a Bartee supporter. He has made many bonehead plays, but has contributed to many coverage sacks also. We never see his good plays, because that's when the ball doesn't go to his side. I am looking forward to getting him back healthy, and I think he'll play well again, like he did in early games this season. OTOH, Warfield has been sensational this year.

Imagine what this defense could be if it had even decent LBs. Fujita is a stud but Beisel and Barber have been mediocre. Barber has been a disappointment. Either Beisel or Mitchell has to step up. If Barber and either Beisel or Mitchell step it up this defense could be one the leagues best in the 2nd half of the the season.

I am surprised Barber isn't doing better. He has more talent than he knows what to do with, IMO. He strikes me as a player who flat out tries too hard, resulting in overpursuing etc.

On special teams Tynes is one of my favorite Chiefs. I am confident with him kicking anthing under 60 yards. Baker is the worst punter I have ever seen. I cant wait to get Cheek back. The coverage units are terrible. The losses of Boe, Finley and others have hurt these units. It is correctible and Ganz is a good coach. After watching the rerturn game this year it really makes what Dante Hall did last year all that more amazing. He will break one or two this season it is just a matter of time.

Tynes does look solid. Hopefully he'll KO better than at Baltimore, but his FGs look great. I disagree that Baker is the worst punter we've ever seen........3 words......remember Danny Pope?

Its been a rough season so far and I cant wait to see where it takes us. :thumb:[/QUOTE]

royr17
10-10-2004, 07:34 AM
I dont wanna see Barber go cause i like Barber as a linebacker but he's gotta pick up the pace or he'll be gone.

I am all open ears for McCleon and Holliday gone cause i think McCleon is past his prime and Holliday just isnt good enough for defensive end in my opinion, he is more of a tweener DT/DE just like Browning but Browning does better playing DE the he does DT.

DaWolf
10-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Barber, I think got a much more cap friendly deal. if memory serves, he only got about 6 mil in guarunteed money, while Spikes got about 11 mil in guarunteed money.

Meanwhile breaking Barber's deal down, it's really something like a 4 year, $14 mil deal, and the last 3 years his base salary really jumps, so he'll never see those years. I think his first 3 years were pretty cap friendly for us, so unless he is a total disaster, they'd probably keep him around for one more year at least.

Holliday signed a 5 year deal but the third year has something like a $5 mil roster bonus so he will most likely be cut next year.

In fact, here is the stuff I'm finding from doing a ChiefsPlanet archives search now (gotta love that feature!)

SportsLine.com has learned that the Chiefs and former Eagles linebacker Shawn Barber have agreed in principle to a seven-year deal. The deal includes a $5.5 million bonus and totals $30 million, but the actual money Barber should see is an average of $3.3 million per year over the first three years.

Chiefs | McCleon Agrees to Terms - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
14:59 PT: Jay Glazer, of SportsLine.com, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to terms with free agent CB Dexter McCleon (Rams) on a five-year deal that averages $2.2 million per year and includes a $2 million signing bonus.

After spending the last five seasons with the Green Bay Packers, Holliday agreed in principle to a deal with the Kansas City Chiefs, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported Monday.

The free-agent defensive end agreed to a five-year deal worth $21.3 million, which includes a $4 million signing bonus. The contract would also include a $5 million option bonus for the 2005 season.

milkman
10-10-2004, 12:21 PM

Let me start by saying, I wouldn't swap Holmes for any other runner in this league. But on pure talent alone, he's not the best. He's the best in the league in terms of patience and vision, IMO, and is an extremely hard runner. He's also one of the best receiving backs. But he has mediocre speed for a starter, and his ability has as much to do with his attitude, his preparation, his focus and the blocking in front of him, IMO. It feels strange to say it, but I think that talent is one of his lesser gifts.

I wholeheartedly agree with Cormac.

LT is more talented than Priest.
He is every bit as versatile also.

He caught 100 passes last season.

But like Cormac, I wouldn't trade Priest for any back in the league.
The one area that Priest has no peer, IMO, is his patience when the Chiefs get close to the goal line.

There really haven't been that many backs that have been that patient in those situations.

LT may develop that kind of patience, when he gets an O-Line in front of him, but right now, Priest is clearly the best in this area.

milkman
10-10-2004, 12:27 PM

The O-Line finally played up to their billing last week, though they did have some breakdowns in pass protect a couple of times.

Green is back on track in part because of Horn, who is just one of those players that overachieves when given the opportunity.

But a lot of credit has to be thrown Morton's way because he finally played the kind of game he's capable of, that we've expected and hoped for when he signed.

milkman
10-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Gunther has this defense moving in the right direction. The defensive line is very good. Since moving Browning to end and putting Dalton in the line has been impressive both against the run and pass. The secondary is 3/4 of the way there. Warfield has played at a Pro Bowl level and as well as any CB the Chiefs have had since Hasty. Woods and Wesley are outstanding. McCleon just isnt getting it done. If he doesnt turn it around I wouldnt mind seeing bar tee get a look. Even though he has taken a beating around here he is bigger and more athletic and if Gun has tought him anything I believe he could be an improvement over McCleon. Imagine what this defense could be if it had even decent LBs. Fujita is a stud but Beisel and Barber have been mediocre. Barber has been a disappointment. Either Beisel or Mitchell has to step up. If Barber and either Beisel or Mitchell step it up this defense could be one the leagues best in the 2nd half of the the season.

Dalton has been impressive.
But I wouldn't call Woods and Wesley outstanding.

Woods has played like crap, while Wesley has never played at the level I expected from him after his impressive rookie season.
He hasn't been the weak link, but he also hasn't been the strong link either.
Just a middle of the road SS.

Baby Lee
10-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Keep in mind against the Ravens they have a poor offense, with the exception of J Lewis. Which can make most any d look good.
That's one HECK of an exception.

Baby Lee
10-10-2004, 01:39 PM
But a lot of credit has to be thrown Morton's way because he finally played the kind of game he's capable of, that we've expected and hoped for when he signed.
You know, I really applauded Morton's effort to claw his way to the one against the Texans, only to wish he'd made it farther when Trent threw that abortion to the corner of the endzone that went 105 the other way.
Not knocking Morton, he put in great effort. But oh, how different would the season be if he'd gotten that extra yard.

milkman
10-10-2004, 02:00 PM
You know, I really applauded Morton's effort to claw his way to the one against the Texans, only to wish he'd made it farther when Trent threw that abortion to the corner of the endzone that went 105 the other way.
Not knocking Morton, he put in great effort. But oh, how different would the season be if he'd gotten that extra yard.

Speaking of Morton, and improved play and effort, it makes me wonder.

Is this a contract year?