PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: No good bye?

tk13
10-11-2004, 01:35 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/9887470.htm

No-good bye?
Chiefs would rather be off another day

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

It's typical of the way things are going for the Chiefs that just as they were getting some momentum, they were forced to sit on the sidelines over the weekend and watch other teams play.

The Chiefs would have taken the extra time afforded by the bye week elsewhere. They could have used it earlier, when they were in disarray during their three-game losing streak. They might have wanted it later, when the rigors of a season really begin to extract a price. They maybe even would have opted to go without.

But they certainly wouldn't have selected this last weekend, after they busted their losing streak with last Monday night's 27-24 victory over the Ravens.

“I don't know if it's a blessing if we have the bye now,” coach Dick Vermeil said.

If it wasn't the best of times for a bye, certainly a win headed into it was essential. The Chiefs would be staring at 0-4 and three more months of a lost season if they hadn't held on in Baltimore.

Now, they're 1-3 and have reason for hope heading into Sunday's game at Jacksonville.

“I think it was important for us because we didn't experience winning,” Vermeil said. “I don't know what the numbers are in studying the overall history of byes coming in and out. For us, it was very important. It rewards the efforts that you make to play your way out of it.”

The Chiefs tried to make the most of their time off. After some brief meetings Tuesday, the Chiefs went on holiday. Players were given five days off, and even most of the workaholic coaches took at least a couple of days away from the office.

The Chiefs return to practice today theoretically refreshed physically, mentally and emotionally. They had better be considering the grind ahead. Home games against Atlanta and Indianapolis follow the trip to Jacksonville.

“I don't know what our record with teams has been (following the bye),” Vermeil said. “I know last year we came out of the bye and won. I know this: You go to Jacksonville you're going to play one of the best defenses in football. You don't need any excuses. You'd better use the bye as an advantage to get healthy, to gain quickness and explosion back.”

Against Jacksonville, the Chiefs should get back the services of three injured players who weren't available against Baltimore. The Chiefs expect starting wide receiver Eddie Kennison and two key defensive reserves, nickel back William Bartee and end Jared Allen, to play. They also could get back two defensive starters, tackle Ryan Sims and linebacker Scott Fujita, who probably couldn't have played this week had the Chiefs had a game.

-------------------------------------

After a break

Under coach Dick Vermeil, the Chiefs are 2-1 after a bye week.

Year Rec.* Next game Result
2001 2-7 vs. Seattle W 19-7
2002 4-4 at San Fran. L 17-13
2003 8-0 vs. Cleveland W 41-20

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
10-11-2004, 07:10 AM
Personally, I'm thinking Jacksonville looks absolutely vulnerable right now.

Their defense is keeping them in games but their offense is almost as putrid as the Ravens. If we keep the intensity that we had last week, I think we come out of Jacksonville with a W and momentum into the Atlanta game.

Crush
10-11-2004, 07:13 AM
From the looks of it, I thought that Jacksonville's defense looked horrible against a Martyball offense.

BigRedChief
10-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Yep, give it to priest right, give it to priest left, tony g pass, give it to priest left, give it to priest right etc etc.. get the win and come home to the really tough games ahead.

Deberg_1990
10-11-2004, 07:40 AM
One good thing in our favor.....Leftwich is a statue back there....no mobility at all...

Crush
10-11-2004, 08:10 AM
The Jaguars allowed San Diego's backup RB run for 103 yards on 11 carries. I think we're in good shape.

King_Chief_Fan
10-11-2004, 08:43 AM

Their defense is keeping them in games but their offense is almost as putrid as the Ravens. If we keep the intensity that we had last week, I think we come out of Jacksonville with a W and momentum into the Atlanta game.

yes sir!

Atlanta game could be a win easily. The Lions showed the blue print. I cannot imagine that the Lions are better than the Chiefs.

Gaz
10-11-2004, 12:25 PM
The bye means I can keep headsnap’s most excellent Chiefs wallpaper [with the awesome Gunther ‘tude face] up for another week.

It also means another week for the wounded to heal. Even though he will be rusty, it will be nice to have Kennison’s speed back on the field.

It would have sucked to go into the bye after a miserable loss.

xoxo~
Gaz
Making the best of it.

Hammock Parties
10-11-2004, 01:15 PM
One good thing in our favor.....Leftwich is a statue back there....no mobility at all...

He's at least as mobile as Green man...he's big but he can move.

Rain Man
10-11-2004, 01:35 PM

Not that I expect anything other than a Chiefs blowout win, but didn't Leftwich have over 350 yards passing yesterday?

Hammock Parties
10-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Not that I expect anything other than a Chiefs blowout win, but didn't Leftwich have over 350 yards passing yesterday?

He threw the ball 54 f*cking times. If you don't put up 300 yards when you throw it that many times, you really suck.

If Jacksonville is forced to throw the ball 54 times....we'll win.

Sure-Oz
10-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Someone cover Jimmy Smith, that dude has torn us up in hte past. Run priest all over them.

coach_L
10-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Special teams should have been one of our priorities over the bye week. Improvement on kick off and punt coverage, and a big play from Hall could set us up three and three going into the Colts game.

HolmeZz
10-11-2004, 04:29 PM
He's at least as mobile as Green man...he's big but he can move.

Byron cannot move. At all.

If you ever saw that NFL Films thing on the rookies from 2003, they called Byron 'Michael Brick'.