PDA

View Full Version : You make the call...

Gaz
10-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Given Kennison’s return…

xoxo~
Gaz
Toying with the permutations.

Rain Man
10-12-2004, 08:38 AM
It's actually a very tough choice between the top three options. Any of them could be justifiable.

Morton - Has shown that he deserves to be a starter.

Kennison - Speed to stretch the defense, veteran savvy, size.

Hall - I don't agree with not putting him on the field. If he's not one of the top three WRs, at least run him out there a few times a game to shake things up. (However, don't put him out there only when you plan to give him the ball on a WR screen. That gets predictable fast.)

Horn - He doesn't look fast or big, but he's always there when you need him. I have to give him credit for providing productivity over style.

Gaz
10-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Is playing WR actually hurting Hall’s return ability? I have heard that theory put forth by assorted pundits. I know he was sucking wind in camp, but would a game atmosphere be different?

xoxo~
Gaz
Would start Horn, but would like to see Hall get some WR PT, too.

MichaelH
10-12-2004, 08:49 AM
I think Horn will be good as Mark Boerigter's replacement. Bo just made plays and Horn has shown that as well.

the Talking Can
10-12-2004, 09:04 AM
I see Horn and Hall splitting plays...they're both #3/#4

Hoover
10-12-2004, 09:11 AM
I voted for Morton, Kennison, Horn.

That said I still want to see Hall used, just not as a main WR. Use him in a reverse or fake reverse, or in a four wide.

Mr. Kotter
10-12-2004, 09:15 AM
I voted with the majority, but am a bit surprised at the overwhelming consensus... :hmmm:

Mark M
10-12-2004, 11:37 AM
I, like a vast majority of others, voted for Kennison, Morton and Horn.

Hall is far too valuable as a returner to risk him getting speared -- um -- hit hard while playing WR.

I'd still use Hall as a 4th WR and when running those bubble/WR screens.

MM
~~:)

Gaz
10-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Wow.

I did not think 88% of the Planet could agree on anything.

xoxo~
Gaz
Surprised.

Raiderhater
10-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Wow.

I did not think 88% of the Planet could agree on anything.

xoxo~
Gaz
Surprised.

The PPL's Majority Whips have obviously been working over time.

ceebz
10-12-2004, 12:03 PM
I voted for the option everyone else did.

I would like to see the Chiefs run more 2 back shotgun though. Morton and Kennison outside, with Gonzo in the slot. Then put Hall and Priest in the backfield. I really think that formation could open up the passing game.

Mr. Kotter
10-12-2004, 12:08 PM

I would like to see the Chiefs run more 2 back shotgun though. Morton and Kennison outside, with Gonzo in the slot. Then put Hall and Priest in the backfield. I really think that formation could open up the passing game.

Interesting thought.... :hmmm:

ceebz
10-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Interesting thought.... :hmmm:

Notify your adopted Chief. http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gshappy.gif

go bo
10-12-2004, 12:14 PM

I would like to see the Chiefs run more 2 back shotgun though. Morton and Kennison outside, with Gonzo in the slot. Then put Hall and Priest in the backfield. I really think that formation could open up the passing game.hmm... no tight end in the formation (possible problems with run blocking, if want to run priest to keep the d "honest")''...

and i wonder how well dante pass blocks and picks up blitzes...

i'd rather use more of the 2 tightend sets (dunn is a monster in both run blocking and in the short/medium passing game)...

ceebz
10-12-2004, 12:20 PM
hmm... no tight end in the formation (possible problems with run blocking, if want to run priest to keep the d "honest")''...

and i wonder how well dante pass blocks and picks up blitzes...

i'd rather use more of the 2 tightend sets (dunn is a monster in both run blocking and in the short/medium passing game)...

You can line Gonzo up as a TE as well. The bottom line is, I think this formation could really help the screen game. Also, out of this formation you could really make defenses pay for doubling/tripling Gonzo by having the two playmakers underneath.

38yrsfan
10-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Kennison, Morton, Horn

Let Hall focus and be keyed/pumped for returns. The occasional pass play every now and then .......

J Diddy
10-12-2004, 12:24 PM

sounds like it would work on madden

ceebz
10-12-2004, 12:26 PM
sounds like it would work on madden

I'm pretty sure it would work in a real game, too. http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gshappy.gif

Mr. Laz
10-12-2004, 12:27 PM
I voted for Morton, Kennison, Horn.

That said I still want to see Hall used, just not as a main WR. Use him in a reverse or fake reverse, or in a four wide.

yep

answer so obvious that even hoover and i agree

btw... i also think that Hall could be hurting us some in the blocking dept. Horn may not be big... but he's bigger than Hall

82 Hall, Dante WR 5-8 187
81 Horn, Chris WR 5-11 195

bricks
10-12-2004, 12:48 PM
I would say Morton#1, Horn#2, and Kennison#3. I really like Chris Horn, he is playing awfully well right now. Why take him out? He has caught every pass thrown his way. Sure, the guy may not be as talented as Morton and Kennison,
but, I strongly feel this kids got hands like glue. And what was our big problem on offense last year? too many dropped passes. so, i say leave him in there. And having Kennison back won't hurt either. He stretches the field. I say give Hall less playing time at WR, we need him fresh for returns.

bricks
10-12-2004, 12:51 PM
I think Horn will be good as Mark Boerigter's replacement. Bo just made plays and Horn has shown that as well.

Horn will be a better player than Boerighter. He is showing signs of it already. Boerighter dropped way too many passes last year, and Horn is showing the world, he is catching everything thrown his way.

nmt1
10-12-2004, 12:52 PM
I voted Kennison, Morton and Hall because that's what the lineup is likely to be. I'd like to see them work Sammie Parker in there to stretch the field.

nmt1
10-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Horn will be a better player than Boerighter. He is showing signs of it already. Boerighter dropped way too many passes last year, and Horn is showing the world, he is catching everything thrown his way.

How many catches does Horn have? How many games has he played in? Lets not anoint him just yet.

Coogs
10-12-2004, 01:09 PM
This was easy for me. Kennison, Morton (the Morton we saw at Baltimore anyway), and Horn.

IMO, if AS stays with the same game plan we have used the last two games, we are a better football team this season than we were last season. Even at 1-3 vs 4-0 last season.

We need to stay away from the quick strike offense that made the Rams famous. Stay with the ball controll, play action passing game. Within that offense, the possession type of receiving we had from Morton, Horn, Gonzo, and Dunn the last game or two is ideal.

Keeps the opponents defense on the field, and wears them out. Keeps our defense on the sideline and keeps them fresh.

Iowanian
10-12-2004, 01:50 PM
I voted for the same thing it looks like most others did.

I think a combination of Morton/Kennison starting, with Horn in the slot(he deserves it due to his production and effort). Throughout the game, I look for Hall and Horn to split time in both the slot and in relief of the starters.

this isn't a bad problem to have.

4WRs, with Speed back on the field, spreading out the Jax defense may be exactly what they need to do to give Holmes room to run vs that stout Middle.

Mr. Kotter
10-12-2004, 03:02 PM
This was easy for me. Kennison, Morton (the Morton we saw at Baltimore anyway), and Horn.

IMO, if AS stays with the same game plan we have used the last two games, we are a better football team this season than we were last season. Even at 1-3 vs 4-0 last season.

We need to stay away from the quick strike offense that made the Rams famous. Stay with the ball controll, play action passing game. Within that offense, the possession type of receiving we had from Morton, Horn, Gonzo, and Dunn the last game or two is ideal.

Keeps the opponents defense on the field, and wears them out. Keeps our defense on the sideline and keeps them fresh.

I agree with this man. Hua! :thumb:

Straight, No Chaser
10-12-2004, 03:24 PM
this isn't a bad problem to have.

4WRs, with Speed back on the field, spreading out the Jax defense may be exactly what they need to do to give Holmes room to run vs that stout Middle.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I also don't believe the offensive coaches have given up entirely on those screens that were so successful last season. Kennison, Morton, and an O-Line in the groove could make that play deadly again.

---->

Hydrae
10-12-2004, 03:25 PM

That would be fine as long as we can do something in the second half and specifically the 4th quarter. We seem to be coming out hot this year but by the second half it seems like the other team has figured out how to defend against us. Like against Baltimore where we had to gicve the ball back to them late and rely on the defense. Thankfully Gun's squad stepped up to the task but the offense should have been able to run more time off the clock by the way they played earlier in the game.

Raiderhater
10-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.

I also don't believe the offensive coaches have given up entirely on those screens that were so successful last season. Kennison, Morton, and an O-Line in the groove could make that play deadly again.

---->

It is possible the screen is waiting to be pulled out of the bag at some future date after teams have forgotten about it.

Maybe we'll use it against Indy or NE.....

milkman
10-13-2004, 07:59 AM
That would be fine as long as we can do something in the second half and specifically the 4th quarter. We seem to be coming out hot this year but by the second half it seems like the other team has figured out how to defend against us. Like against Baltimore where we had to gicve the ball back to them late and rely on the defense. Thankfully Gun's squad stepped up to the task but the offense should have been able to run more time off the clock by the way they played earlier in the game.

I think in that situation, late in the game against the Ravens, Al should have gone play action on the firrst play to keep the D honest.
They really stacked the line to stop the run at that point.

Even the best running teams, as the Chiefs are, will have trouble running against the Ravens in that situation.

Earlier in the game they couldn't just stack the line, because they just couldn't ignore the pass, even though the Chiefs ran the ball 40? times.

BTW, I voted with the majority.
Horn isn't the most talented, but he just makes plays.

Coogs
10-13-2004, 09:45 AM

We came out and dominated the Ravens in the 3rd quarter. Both offense and defense. And if the Punt Team had not given up a TD late in the 1st half, we probably would have been ahead 27-10 at that point.

And we pretty much dominated the Texans too. Should'a kicked the FG late in the 1st half. Defense was playing well.

ChiTown
10-13-2004, 09:50 AM
That's simple.

Kennison, Morton and Horn

Hall looks slow in his returns since he started playing more WR. He needs to concentrate on Returns and playing spot duty at WR. JMHO

bricks
10-13-2004, 10:09 AM
How many catches does Horn have? How many games has he played in? Lets not anoint him just yet.

Chris Horn has 7 catches for 76 yards, and 1 TD. He's played in 2 games. He caught 5 for 60yds against Baltimore, and mind you he had a 38 yd catch wiped out cause of a holding call on Wiegmann. Was a nice catch too. Now, had that catch counted, Horn woulda had a very productive day, it woulda looked like this, 6 catches for 98yds. He barely played in the Houston game, he caught 2 for 16 yards, and one was a touchdown. Look, I completely understand where your coming from. Don't ride the guy yet and I agree somewhat. I just wanna say, I hope you understand where I'm coming from too, all I see C.Horn doing is getting open and making catches. We thrown I think 7 balls his way, and he's caught every one of them. I'm excited about the kid, and feel confident he's gonna be a good football player. All he is doing is getting open and catching everything. Isn't that plenty of reason, to feel good about the guy? I think so.

nmt1
10-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Chris Horn has 7 catches for 76 yards, and 1 TD. He's played in 2 games. He caught 5 for 60yds against Baltimore, and mind you he had a 38 yd catch wiped out cause of a holding call on Wiegmann. Was a nice catch too. Now, had that catch counted, Horn woulda had a very productive day, it woulda looked like this, 6 catches for 98yds. He barely played in the Houston game, he caught 2 for 16 yards, and one was a touchdown. Look, I completely understand where your coming from. Don't ride the guy yet and I agree somewhat. I just wanna say, I hope you understand where I'm coming from too, all I see C.Horn doing is getting open and making catches. We thrown I think 7 balls his way, and he's caught every one of them. I'm excited about the kid, and feel confident he's gonna be a good football player. All he is doing is getting open and catching everything. Isn't that plenty of reason, to feel good about the guy? I think so.

I know where you're coming from and I'm glad you're excited about him. I too hope he does well. I tend to be more realistic when looking at players and, to me, he looks like an undrafted free agent who's not the best athlete but is taking advantage of his shot. While he might be a decent stop gap player, he's not the long term future at WR. I hope the Chiefs address their lack of having a playmaker at WR this next offseason, and no I don't want McCardell.

milkman
10-13-2004, 10:31 AM
I know where you're coming from and I'm glad you're excited about him. I too hope he does well. I tend to be more realistic when looking at players and, to me, he looks like an undrafted free agent who's not the best athlete but is taking advantage of his shot. While he might be a decent stop gap player, he's not the long term future at WR. I hope the Chiefs address their lack of having a playmaker at WR this next offseason, and no I don't want McCardell.

I also tend to be more realistic.
Every team needs a guy they can count on to make catches when they need a first down, and Horn may be that guy for the Chiefs.

He will probably never be a starter, and in time the Chiefs may get more talent than they have now, but Horn has a future as a #3 or #4 receiver.

Right now, he's a better #3 option than anyone on the Chiefs, including Hall.

KingPriest2
10-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Kennison, Morton, Horn

I hate to admit it Hall needs to focus more on returns. I think they are using him wrong when he is lined up as a WR. Most of the passes he gets he when Trent throws it to the side and he takes off. He never get more then 6 yards. He is quick and fast. Use him the way they did 2 years ago.