PDA

View Full Version : Tackle statistics

Bob Dole
10-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Typically when looking to refute or back up a point on here, Bob Dole has sometimes been a bit befuddled by the NFL Gamebook tackle statistics. This tidbit from Dr. Z's 8/8 column was interesting.

Joe of San Antonio counts tackles and matches them against the numbers that appear in the paper. He says he'll come up with two or three for Ray, and then guess what, the listed figure is something like five tackles, six assists. This is true, not only for Ray but many defensive super stars (more prevalent among linebackers, for some reason). Brian Urlacher, for instance, or Derrick Brooks. And it's especially true when it's a home team stats crew doing the tallying. Just check, for instance, how many more "assists" the home team has, cumulatively, than the visitors.

Every now and then at a game I'll get a seat in the press box near the stats crew. I enjoy watching them work, especially how they record tackles and assists. I'll see them give an assist to somebody who arrives late and merely falls on the pile, and once I got so steamed about this that I started heckling them. "That wasn't an assisted tackle ... the play was long over," and I cut it out when I saw, forming on their lips, the magic word, "Security!"

Have any of you tape-and-rewatch guys ever gone through and counted the tackles and compared with the official published numbers? It might be interesting if we had a number of people do it some week and then compared our own results to each other and the official totals.

Lzen
10-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Hmm, interesting. Have to try that.

Rausch
10-13-2004, 08:42 AM
I know that in yahoo's FFL the tackle numbers for Barber the 2nd week went from 4 fantasy pts, to 7 fantasy pts, to 5 fantasy pts...

I don't know where they get their numbers, but the defensive stats change from monday to wednesday. I've got guys pissed off because on monday they've won and by thursday they've lost by 8 pts...

Bob Dole
10-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Hmm, interesting. Have to try that.

Bob Dole would have to give an assist to #4 on the goalline stop.

Rain Man
10-13-2004, 08:47 AM
I've done the stats for a semipro football team for a couple of years, and tackles are harder to record than one would think. For example, a defensive end trips a guy, and as he's going down a safety nails him and brings him down. Who gets the tackle? Who gets an assist?

I made my own rule that the first guy who stopped a ball carrier's progress "for good" got credit for the tackle, and then anyone else who helped actually bring him down got an assist. Or alternately, if it appeared that the ball carrier falling down was "imminent" the guy who made the hit that caused him to fall down got the tackle, and anyone who landed on him before he went down got an assist.

Our team's middle linebacker despised me, because he'd record 2 or 3 tackles a game and 6 or 8 assists, and would swear that he had 15 tackles. He didn't listen much to my rules, or to my advice that perhaps he hit the ball carrier a bit sooner.