PDA

View Full Version : If you are going to get a subwoofer, get a Hsu

Fat Elvis
10-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Not only are they great subs, especially for the money, but their customer service is second to none.

The amp on my STF-3 went out and I emailed Hsu Research. Dr. Hsu, the founder of the company personally replied to my email to troubleshoot the problem. They are going to replace my amp without any problems. Here is the kicker: I am using a transferable warrenty to do this, and Hsu had no problems with this whatsoever. All I pay for is shipping the old amp back to Hsu in the box used to ship the new amp.

No problems, no hassles- just first rate service.

They have a customer for life now.

Kudos to Hsu.

Fat E

Nightfyre
10-14-2004, 10:15 AM
That was a shameless plug if Ive ever heard one :P

shakesthecat
10-14-2004, 10:17 AM
FE,
How long did you have it before the amp took a dive?

I've read some very good reviews on HSU subs, but have yet to hear one.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 10:18 AM
HSUs are great, but SVS is peerless, both in terms of quality, value and customer service.
But it's pretty much comparing Mercedes to BMW between those two.

Rausch
10-14-2004, 10:19 AM
HSUs are great, but SVS is peerless, both in terms of quality, value and customer service.

I've listened to some M&K subs and speakers and they're just amazing. WAY too expensive for me, but if I had that kind of money to plop down on some sound-boxes that's who'd get it...

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 10:22 AM
I've listened to some M&K subs and speakers and they're just amazing. WAY too expensive for me, but if I had that kind of money to plop down on some sound-boxes that's who'd get it...
Do what you can to listen to an SVS and Hsu. M&K is good too, but those two concentrate on building a SUBwoofer, that gives measurable quality down into the lowest octave, as opposed to boomy mid-bass. Another is the top of the line Velodyne.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/

Braincase
10-14-2004, 10:29 AM
I hear that for home theater and serious audiophilia, it's hard to beat that little company out of Lawrence...Speakers as Art (http://www.martinlogan.com/)

Rausch
10-14-2004, 10:34 AM
I hear that for home theater and serious audiophilia, it's hard to beat that little company out of Lawrence...Speakers as Art (http://www.martinlogan.com/)

Have to check that out.

I've got some NHT's now and listened to Boston Acoustics before buying. I think both are really good mid-priced speakers. The subs aren't as good as their surrounds, center, or mains but they get the job done.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Martin Logans kick, but are VERY expensive. Their sub is, what $3500?

We're in Bentley territory now.

Rain Man
10-14-2004, 10:36 AM
If you are going to get a subwoofer, get a Hsu.

Gesundheit.

Rausch
10-14-2004, 10:37 AM
I use to get Cambridge Soundworks stuff in the mail all the time. I think they're only factory direct, and I've never bought or heard them.

They any good?

Braincase
10-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Martin Logans kick, but are VERY expensive. Their sub is, what $3500?

We're in Bentley territory now.

Hang out at Free State. A number of ML guys go there for lunch, after work. ML has a policy that their employees get to buy stuff with a huge discount, and then they have to hold on to it for a year before selling it. You can get great deals from guys loking to pick up a couple hundred bucks for the holidays.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 10:39 AM
I use to get Cambridge Soundworks stuff in the mail all the time. I think they're only factory direct, and I've never bought or heard them.

They any good?
Middling. More concerned with size and appearance than sound quality. Better than BOSE, a cheaper Bang and Olufsen, you'd be much happier, especially with your sub, if you went HSU or SVS.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Hang out at Free State. A number of ML guys go there for lunch, after work. ML has a policy that their employees get to buy stuff with a huge discount, and then they have to hold on to it for a year before selling it. You can get great deals from guys loking to pick up a couple hundred bucks for the holidays.
I got my NEAR 50MEIIs from a guy who got one of those deals.

NEAR is for New England Audio Research, a now transformed company that makes rugged outdoor speakers, such as used by Disney World. I love my NEARs to death. Flat to 27 Hz from the mains. Barely even need a sub [probably why I like how SVS concentrates on the lowest octave].

http://www.audioreview.com/Main%20Speaker/NEAR/PRD_120252_1594crx.aspx#reviews

MichaelH
10-14-2004, 11:25 AM
I've been pretty impressed with my Klipsch sub. I bought it because I got to test it first. Where does one go to test out Hsu audio components?

Braincase
10-14-2004, 11:33 AM
I've been pretty impressed with my Klipsch sub. I bought it because I got to test it first. Where does one go to test out Hsu audio components?

Fat Elvis' house.

Baby Lee
10-14-2004, 01:19 PM
I've been pretty impressed with my Klipsch sub. I bought it because I got to test it first.
Did you get their Reference line? My sis got a great deal on the Reference 12 at Ultimate Electronic. It is impressive, but still only stays flat to 22 Hz. I'd like 3-4 more Hz lower to justify the addition.

JimNasium
10-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Gesundheit.
Yeah, the Gusundheit sub is far superior to the rest of the junk listed here. :thumb:

foxman
10-14-2004, 02:16 PM

I have the SVS 25-39PC+ and demoed many others inlcuding the M&K (fine product) but for my money it would SVS every time. Oh and if you have a question about wich one to purchase even including other brands all you have to do is email Tom or Ron and svsubwoofers tech support and you will get as knowledgable and unbiased response as you will anywere internet or otherwise.

Miles
10-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Have to check that out.

I've got some NHT's now and listened to Boston Acoustics before buying. I think both are really good mid-priced speakers. The subs aren't as good as their surrounds, center, or mains but they get the job done.

I also have an NHT setup and you are definitly right about their subs not being as good. I have a 10" NHT sub and it definitly doesnt go as low as something like SVS or HSU. But it definily gets the job done in an apartment.