PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Rice rumors

Mr. Laz
10-14-2004, 11:38 AM
HAWKS COOKING UP SOME RICE?

As receiver Jerry Rice continues to look for a pathway out of the Bay Area after more than 19 seasons with the 49ers and the Raiders, we're hearing that talks have been occurring between the Seahawks and the Raiders regarding a possible trade for the man who holds every significant career receiving record.

Whether Rice goes to the Seahawks or someone else remains to be seen, but it's obvious to us based on the information we've received that the Raiders are anxious to move Rice before the October 19 deadline.

Why? Although the Raiders wouldn't get more than token compensation for Rice via trade, dealing him to a team other than Denver, Kansas City, or Tampa prevents him from making a bee line to Denver, Kansas City, or Tampa if they merely release him.

Reportedly, Rice was scheduled to meet with Raiders owner Al Davis on Wednesday night (daylight, after all, kills vampires) regarding the future Hall of Famer's discontent with his role in the Oakland offense. On Sunday, Rice was held without a reception for the second time this season.

When Rice left the 49ers as a free agent, the Seahawks was one of the teams in the mix for his services, since coach Mike Holmgren is well acquainted with Rice given their days together in San Fran, when Holmgren was the offensive coordinator. With a receiving corps in Seattle that's having trouble holding onto the football, perhaps Holmgren thinks a guy like Rice will help Koren Robinson finally mature into the player that he can be.

But Holmgren also will be required to get Rice on the field, and the ball in his hands. If anyone can find a way to make that happen, it's Holmgren, who arguably knows Rice better than any other coach presently working in the NFL.

Nightfyre
10-14-2004, 11:40 AM
If we get Rice.... King Carl is gonna pay With something worse than his life.

Crush
10-14-2004, 11:41 AM
He'll be the only one on the Seahawks team that can catch a ball.

Lzen
10-14-2004, 11:44 AM
OK, WTF do the Chiefs get mentioned here? Is this just a normal thing since most writers believe the Chiefs have no good receivers? Somehow I just can't see Carl signing a 41 year old, past his prime receiver. That would not be smart.

Lzen
10-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Oh yeah, where did you get this piece? PFW? ROFL

Nightfyre
10-14-2004, 11:45 AM
That would not be smart.
it is king carl.... I hate to say it, but Marcus allen?

Lzen
10-14-2004, 11:50 AM
it is king carl.... I hate to say it, but Marcus allen?

Eh, not the same thing. Marcus was an underused running back for a few years with the Raiders. He also was not anywhere near 41 years old (mid 30s, I believe) and never had a repaired knee. And Marcus was very productive for us so I don't know how anyone can say that WASN'T a smart move.

Nightfyre
10-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Eh, not the same thing. Marcus was an underused running back for a few years with the Raiders. He also was not anywhere near 41 years old (mid 30s, I believe) and never had a repaired knee. And Marcus was very productive for us so I don't know how anyone can say that WASN'T a smart move.
If by productive you mean we gave him the ball at the one yard line so he could score TDs. Thats what I remember. Other RBs carry the load down to the endzone, then Marcus came in and scored the TDs. Course Im one of the younger members, being only 19.

Lzen
10-14-2004, 12:06 PM
No, he did gain over 800 yards at least one year that I recall. He was invaluable as a pass blocker, receiver, leader, and rusher.

Ralphy Boy
10-14-2004, 12:14 PM
OK, WTF do the Chiefs get mentioned here? Is this just a normal thing since most writers believe the Chiefs have no good receivers? Somehow I just can't see Carl signing a 41 year old, past his prime receiver. That would not be smart.

Dude you need to go back and read the article, never once does it mention him being traded TO Kansas City, it says:

"Why? Although the Raiders wouldn't get more than token compensation for Rice via trade, dealing him to a team other than Denver, Kansas City, or Tampa prevents him from making a bee line to Denver, Kansas City, or Tampa if they merely release him."

Lzen
10-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Dude you need to go back and read the article, never once does it mention him being traded TO Kansas City, it says:

"Why? Although the Raiders wouldn't get more than token compensation for Rice via trade, dealing him to a team other than Denver, Kansas City, or Tampa prevents him from making a bee line to Denver, Kansas City, or Tampa if they merely release him."

I just love it when people say go back and read something again. Yet they didn't properly read the post in which they are trying to debunk.

Dude, you need to go back and read my post. I never said or even insinuated a trade to KC. I just like how it is mentioned that they want to deal him to a team other than KC. As if there was even any interest by the Chiefs. If there was any interest by the Chiefs, show me the proof. Until then, it's just speculation.

R&GHomer
10-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Rice is a old used up has been. The guy should just hang it up.

Skip Towne
10-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Rice turned 42 yesterday.

ZepSinger
10-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Rice turned 42 yesterday.
Anyone who is right behind me on the journey over the hill needs to get out of the NFL. Yesterday.

unlurking
10-14-2004, 01:56 PM
I just love it when people say go back and read something again. Yet they didn't properly read the post in which they are trying to debunk.

Dude, you need to go back and read my post. I never said or even insinuated a trade to KC. I just like how it is mentioned that they want to deal him to a team other than KC. As if there was even any interest by the Chiefs. If there was any interest by the Chiefs, show me the proof. Until then, it's just speculation.
Nobody ever said there was any interest on the part of the Chiefs. They stated that the raiders simply didn't want him to end up in KC.

mcan
10-14-2004, 02:02 PM
It's rediculous to think that he wouldn't be the best reciever on our team if we picked him up today... Jerry Rice can still be productive in this league, and in this (KC's) offense he would thrive.

Jerry Rice is a possession reciever to a tee. He has hands like magnets and runs perfect routes. He is extremely smart and always makes the right read/adjustment. He is a leader by example, and a superb character guy. His age limits in in only two ways.

1. He won't be able to practice as hard because he will take a longer time to recover from Sundays than the rest of the team.

2. He won't be as fast as most of the other recievers on the squad.

The first problem is negligable. He'll more than make up for that by being such a hard worker off the field, and because he has so much experience. The second problem is only a problem if your recieving corps is predicated on speed... IE: Run and Gun. That is NOT the KC offense. Yes, we throw the ball around a lot, but we don't need speedy guys to stretch the field and get single coverage on the interior. We have Tony Gonzalez and Priest Holmes putting 8 guys in the box on almost every play. They double Tony, and the safeties have to watch for the run first. The reason our recievers don't make plays is because they aren't good enough route runners to get seperation in man to man coverage. That's where a smart guy like Jerry Rice could fit in nicely. He can always get a half step on a guy when he makes his break, and if Trent is accurate, he'll get the ball in there. I think this is why guys like Chris Horn end up having big days from time to time... The only thing Chris knows how to do well is run great routes. Dante Hall, on the other hand is a crappy route runner... That's not his game. So, it's tough to get him the ball.

OK, long post, but I think I've made a valid argument, and I think we should get Jerry if the price is right. Worst case scenerio is we get our current crop of WRs of the field a little more often.

Lastly, imagine if that was Jerry Rice in the Colts game last year... You think he would have dropped those balls that Morton let go off his chest? Nope... That's right, Jerry would have had us in the SuperBowl.

Brock
10-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Lastly, imagine if that was Jerry Rice in the Colts game last year... You think he would have dropped those balls that Morton let go off his chest? Nope... That's right, Jerry would have had us in the SuperBowl.

Maybe Jerry Rice could have forced the colts to punt?

No thanks, he is old and washed up, just like Tim Brown.

Lzen
10-14-2004, 02:12 PM
They stated that the raiders simply didn't want him to end up in KC.

Which says to me that the Chiefs would be an interested party. Why else would they have mentioned the Chiefs? Perhaps because they didn't wanna take a chance of him ending up with a division rival? Why no mention of the Chargers then? Their receiver aren't very good.

Lzen
10-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Dude, it's profootballtalk.com... they probably don't know what division the Chargers are in.

LOL. I get that one and profootballweekly mixed up. Which one is the one that makes stuff up all the time? Or is it both of them?

Deberg_1990
10-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Rice wont come here...all he has ever known is the "West Coast" offense...we dont run that so it doesnt fit his style......I can see him going to Seattle maybe....or Tampa...