PDA

View Full Version : Home computer network help!

Hog Rider
10-14-2004, 06:55 PM
We finally bought a new computer mostly for my wife's business use, but we will keep the old one for my daughter and I to mess around on (like now). We don't want two cable bills for internet access, so we need to network the two together. The new one has XP Pro the old has ME.

What router, switch etc. would you recommennd to connect? They both have ethernet cards and the cable modem is a Motorala (surfboard 3100 with on/off switch. They are right next to each other, so we will hard wire them instead of wireless. I don't yet think wireless is a good idea - as I will also use the new one to connect to my work and get into their servers for weekends when I'm on call.

Thanks in advance, I'm kinda busy around here so won't be able to stand by and monitor any opinions I recieve.

You all have been a great source of computer information for me and of course others, and though I don't do all the talking, y'all are still like a family here on the Planet.

JP

Bob Dole
10-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Linksys makes an affordable (under $50), straightforward router.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Linksys.

foxman
10-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Linksys.
:thumb:

For a couple extra bucks you can go wireless then if you ever get a laptop you can surf from the toilet if you wanted to. You can still use it hardwired for now if you didnt want wireless now. One day you will go wireless, may as well be ready for that day.

Hog Rider
10-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks,

I had seen several others eg. Netgear? D-link?,but Linksys was the most familiar name. I'll check local prices on them online tonight.

JP

Hog Rider
10-14-2004, 07:10 PM

For a couple extra bucks you can go wireless then if you ever get a laptop you can surf from the toilet if you wanted to.

Heck! I surf on the toilet now using my own laptop!!! ROFL

wutamess
10-14-2004, 07:20 PM
I managed to get a wireless router and adapter on ebay for $32 plus $5 buy it now the other day.

Best $37 dollars I've spent in a while.
Finally got my Domain Controller up on Win2k3 server and setup DHCP, DNS, & WINS on it in order to study for MCSE.

Next it's going to virtual PC and Exchange experience.

Anyhow... enough of my high.

See if you can get a wireless router and adapter package off of ebay and you'll be satisfied.

Try to stick with netgear, Linksys, Belken, & Siemens.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2004, 07:27 PM
WINS? Noone uses WINS anymore.

Phobia
10-14-2004, 07:32 PM

For a couple extra bucks you can go wireless then if you ever get a laptop you can surf from the toilet if you wanted to. You can still use it hardwired for now if you didnt want wireless now. One day you will go wireless, may as well be ready for that day.

That's what I did even though I don't have wireless plans anytime in the near future. The linksys with wireless was only $15 more.

Phobia
10-14-2004, 07:33 PM
WINS? Noone uses WINS anymore.

whatawuss does.

Phobia
10-14-2004, 07:33 PM
You all have been a great source of computer information for me and of course others, and though I don't do all the talking, y'all are still like a family here on the Planet.

JP

Can I borrow $2,500, bro?

wutamess
10-14-2004, 08:34 PM
eh...

I installed WINS because I was having connection problems and I thought that that was my problem. Turns out... It was my workstations internal firewall that was enabled on Windows XP.