PDA

View Full Version : Internet Gates BBQ sauce recipe - authentic?

cdcox
10-16-2004, 10:06 AM
I don't live in the KC area or I'd just go out and buy some. And yes, I know you can order it through the mail. But I found this recipe for "Gates BBQ sauce" on the internet in several places. Has anyone tried it and found it to be somewhat similar to the original?

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons celery seed
2 tablespoons cumin powder
2 tablespoons Cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 quarts Ketchup
2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Mix together all the spices. Set aside.

Combine the remaining ingredients and then add the spice mixture.
Mix well.

Serve warm or cold. Freezes well.

R&GHomer
10-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Sorry, don't have a clue.

One question back at ya. With the chili powder, would that be the same stuff you buy in the store and mix with ground beef to make taco's.

KCWolfman
10-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Sorry, don't have a clue.

One question back at ya. With the chili powder, would that be the same stuff you buy in the store and mix with ground beef to make taco's.
Yes it is the same.

On Gates, I would doubt the recipe is precise. He pretty well held his cards close to his vest on that one. It may be similar though. Give it a shot and let us know.

R&GHomer
10-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Yes it is the same.

On Gates, I would doubt the recipe is precise. He pretty well held his cards close to his vest on that one. It may be similar though. Give it a shot and let us know.

Thanks Kcwolfman.

I’m really getting pretty good at smoking and it’s time to wean myself off the store bought stuff and start making my own.

R&GHomer
10-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Try this link for some really good ideas and tips for BBQ.
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Boozer
10-16-2004, 11:24 AM
I would be surprised if the real Gates sauce had ketchup in it. By the same token, I bet that recipe makes something that tastes like Gates sauce, at least "close enough for government work."

Uncle_Ted
10-16-2004, 12:44 PM
I assume the recipe also calls for you to cook it? :p

I'd say bring it to a soft boil and cook for 20 min or so, stirring constantly.

Ketchup in the recipe doesn't surprise me one bit. Many good sauces are ketchup-based, or a combination of ketchup + tomato paste. The brand of ketchup will make a difference though. I'd recommend DelMonte (not the best ketchup, but makes good sauce).

I don't have any particular knowledge of what's in Gates' sauce, but that all looks about right for a decent BBQ sauce, except you might need to add some water if it comes out too thick (though with all that vinegar it's probably ok).

good luck!

Over-Head
10-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Gonna try this in about an hour,,,got the charcoal warming up now :p

alanm
10-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Gonna try this in about an hour,,,got the charcoal warming up now :pKeep us posted as to the results OH. If all goes well I may try this out also.:thumb:

BigRedChief
10-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Gonna try this in about an hour,,,got the charcoal warming up now :p

ya gonna boil it on a charcoal grill?

cdcox
10-16-2004, 01:16 PM
The recipe does not call for cooking it, although it does say that it can be served warm.

Overhead, let me know how it comes out, and whether you decide to simmer it or not.

Pitt Gorilla
10-16-2004, 01:24 PM
That seems like a lot of salt, but it looks like the recipe makes quite a bit. Let us know how it goes!

buddha
05-17-2005, 02:47 PM
L.C.'s Barbeque 5800 Blue Parkway
Kansas city, MO 64129
816-923-4484

Go there and have the brisket and beans...amazingly good BBQ!

BigRedChief
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
How did it go?

Simplex3
05-17-2005, 02:58 PM
I met Olie Gates for about 5 minutes back in '99. We supported his accounting software and he was staring down y2k like everyone else. He carries himself strong and can be intimidating if you don't have your s**t together.

So he shows up 5 minutes late for the meeting, listens for about 5 minutes, stands up in the middle of our sales guy's sentence, and says something to the effect of:

"Gentlemen. I have $500 to spend on this. If it's going to cost me any more than that I'll buy those bitches in accounting pencils and paper. Those don't have date problems."

Then just walks off. ROFL

The best part? At the time at least one (maybe two) of "those bitches in accounting" was his daughter. ROFL

cdcox
05-17-2005, 03:02 PM
How did it go?

Mmmmmmmmm. I ended up cutting back on the salt and simmering it on the stove for an hour. After tasting it, I added more vinegar and spices. It's been too many years since I had Gates to compare. Overall, I'd say it is a good tomato-sweet base to modify to taste.

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Keep us posted as to the results OH. If all goes well I may try this out also.:thumb:

Exactly, I'm interested as well.

Hammock Parties
05-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Hmm. So BBQ sauce is just ketchup with a bunch of spices and crap? I had no idea all this time...

DanT
05-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I would be surprised if the real Gates sauce had ketchup in it. By the same token, I bet that recipe makes something that tastes like Gates sauce, at least "close enough for government work."

I'd be surprised if it didn't. jettio, my older brother and I grew up a coupla' blocks from his Swope Parkway location, which is where they used to make the stuff. When my older brother was about 8 or so, Mr. Gates gave him a job doing odd jobs around the plant. (Mr. Gates was well-known in the neighborhood for being kind to kids.) Anyway, my older brother said that ketchup was a main ingredient in the sauce. I don't think it was considered a secret or anything.

Jenson71
05-17-2005, 03:39 PM

DanT
05-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Here's a really good New Yorker article on ketchup. Not all ketchup is the same. Apparently, Heinz kicks ass.

http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_09_06_a_ketchup.html

DanT
05-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Here's a Martha Stewart page featuring her and Ollie Gates and the ketchup-based barbecue sauce.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=tvs2979

DanT
05-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Man, that's making me hungry. The baked beans at Gates are awesome.

Donger
05-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Hello - commatard on the loose.Hello - commatard on the loose.

ROFL

Hammock Parties
05-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Here's a really good New Yorker article on ketchup. Not all ketchup is the same. Apparently, Heinz kicks ass.

http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_09_06_a_ketchup.html

Fascinating. I'm going to create an "upscale mayonnaise" alternative to Hellman's.

KC Kings
05-17-2005, 03:53 PM
L.C.'s Barbeque 5800 Blue Parkway
Kansas city, MO 64129
816-923-4484

Go there and have the brisket and beans...amazingly good BBQ!

This is the worst post I have ever read. How can a person can mention LC's and not talk about their fries?

Prince22
05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Has anyone ever had Jimmy's Batch 81 BBQ. It's a spicy 3 pepper sauce. Excellent. I've only seen it at Quiznos, so I bought a bottle from there.

gblowfish
05-17-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't think that recipe is authentic because of the liquid smoke. Gates was started in the early 1940's before liquid smoke existed. And I've never detected it in Gates sauce, where it's easily detected in other BBQ sauces like Oklahoma Joe's. It wouldn't surprise me if ketchup was one of the starting ingredients. It's probably Hunt's, as Lamar and the Chiefs have been tight with Gates BBQ for a long time :)

shaneo69
05-17-2005, 04:17 PM
I happen to have a bottle of Gates' Original right here....

Ingredients: Tomatoes, Vinegar, Salt, Sugar, Celery, Garlic, Spices, and Pepper. 1/10 of 1% Potassium Sorbate preservative added.

Baby Lee
05-17-2005, 04:24 PM
I've been chowing on Gates' hot and spicy for so long, I'd forgotten it wasn't original. Can't be a recipe for hot and spicy without a buttload of cracked black pepper.

Good stuff.

Logical
05-17-2005, 06:47 PM
I don't live in the KC area or I'd just go out and buy some. And yes, I know you can order it through the mail. But I found this recipe for "Gates BBQ sauce" on the internet in several places. Has anyone tried it and found it to be somewhat similar to the original?

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons celery seed
2 tablespoons cumin powder
2 tablespoons Cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 quarts Ketchup
2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Mix together all the spices. Set aside.

Combine the remaining ingredients and then add the spice mixture.
Mix well.

Serve warm or cold. Freezes well.

That might be right, but I would think you would need to heat it to get all the ingredients to combine properly, especially the sugar.

Logical
05-17-2005, 06:50 PM

I agree but I would much rather have the ingredients for Bryant's Q sauce. That is probably locked away in the Smithsonian as a national treasure though.

Bwana
05-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Gates is ok but does anyone have a close recipe to the Smokestack sauce? That stuff is tasty!!

Logical
05-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Gates is ok but does anyone have a close recipe to the Smokestack sauce? That stuff is tasty!!

I think they sell Smokestack at the Grocery store. Unless Smokestack is Jackstack. I may have the names mixed up. We definitely have Smokestack in the stores out here in San Diego and it is nothing like Jackstacks in KC.

Skip Towne
05-17-2005, 06:59 PM
I agree but I would much rather have the ingredients for Bryant's Q sauce. That is probably locked away in the Smithsonian as a national treasure though.
It should be. It is the only one of the KC sauces I have tasted that isn't that sickly sweet flavor. Bryant's has character.

dtebbe
05-17-2005, 07:17 PM
It should be. It is the only one of the KC sauces I have tasted that isn't that sickly sweet flavor. Bryant's has character.

Yep, and that big jar in the window must have some SERIOUS character by now ROFL

Cookshack sent a bottle of their spicy sauce with my smoker, and I really dig it. Just a little zip to it, which I love.

DT

Skip Towne
05-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Yep, and that big jar in the window must have some SERIOUS character by now ROFL

Cookshack sent a bottle of their spicy sauce with my smoker, and I really dig it. Just a little zip to it, which I love.

DT
I think that big jar was gone the last time I was there. Arthur's niece took the place over when he died and nearly ruined it. She cleaned it all up and even took out the pinball machine that had been there since 1965.

Logical
05-17-2005, 07:35 PM
http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/bbqshopping.htm

Evidently you can order Bryant's BBQ sauce over the internet. Anyone ever do this, and is it as good as the sauce in the restaurant. I realize I will never achieve the result of Bryant's with their meat. But a great sauce is hard to come by.

I guess I can get Jack stacks as well

http://jackstackbbq.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_142

Decisions decision. maybe I will try both.

docmartn
11-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Just thought I'd let the thread know that I tried this recipe yesterday except I did a smaller batch based on a link over at smoker-cooker.com. Sorry I tried posting the link and the forum wouldn't let me. I included the smaller batch below.

Conclusion: It came out pretty darn close to Gates. As for cooking I would recommend bringing to a quick boil and letting simmer for 10-20 minutes at low heat. This will breakdown the acid in the ketchup, allow the sugar to breakdown and mellow out the vinegar. The sauce is better if you can let it sit at least a day before serving.

For a Smaller Batch of Gates Bar-B-Q Sauce…
You might feel that 2-1/2 quarts of bbq sauce is too much to make at one time, so the following homemade Gates bbq sauce recipe will make about one bottle's worth.

* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
* 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1-1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
* 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
* 16 ounces ketchup
* 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke, hickory flavored
* 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

For the hot and spicy version, add an extra 3/4 teaspoon of red pepper, and just shy of 1 full tablespoon of ground black pepper. Follow the above directions for combining the ingredients.

Btw if you want to see this recipe it's at smoker-cooking(dot)com

Fire Me Boy!
11-08-2010, 09:21 AM
The OP sauce is pretty close to Gates. I make some major modifications. First, leave out the liquid smoke, especially if you're using it on real smoked barbecue. I like a couple chipotle chilies and a little adobe in place of the cayenne. I also like a little fresh ginger, unfiltered apple cider vinegar, whole spices freshly ground, and homemade chile powder. Also use sea salt or Kosher salt, not that iodized crap.

Phobia
11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Sorry I tried posting the link and the forum wouldn't let me.

That's because people on this site don't like thinly veiled spam.