PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Situation: Chiefs have a top 5 draft pick. Who do we choose?

Crush
10-17-2004, 05:05 PM
IF we have a horrible record this year and get a top five draft pick. Who would you want?

Hydrae
10-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Cornerback, same as I wanted this last draft.

BigVE
10-17-2004, 05:15 PM
O-lineman or RBOTFuture

Bowser
10-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Best available linebacker in the first, corner in the second, reciever in the third.

Logical
10-17-2004, 05:18 PM
I would bet money on Carl drafting a safety. ROFL

oaklandhater
10-17-2004, 05:18 PM
O-lineman or RBOTFuture

will some one plz tell me why i have seen like 20 something post for o-linemen we need a real wideout no more sammieparkers. or a corner back and we better not DARE!!!! trade down i want playmakers no more depth :P

Saulbadguy
10-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Antrel Rolle
Derrick Johnson

Thig Lyfe
10-17-2004, 05:20 PM
If?

Bowser
10-17-2004, 05:22 PM

Or draft a fullback to convert him into a corner. :thumb:

CosmicPal
10-17-2004, 05:22 PM
I'll say this again:

Who gives a sh*t!

Carl will just draft some "project" in the first round anyway...most likely some dufus from an auto tech school in Montana.

Bowser
10-17-2004, 05:23 PM
I'll say this again:

Who gives a sh*t!

Carl will just draft some "project" in the first round anyway...most likely some dufus from an auto tech school in Montana.

I think you mean UCLA.

David.
10-17-2004, 05:24 PM
O-lineman or RBOTFuture

RBOTF?!

we already got one.

morphius
10-17-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm hoping a second CB to play opposite Warfield.

ck_IN
10-17-2004, 05:25 PM
In order I'd want a CB, MLB, DE, WR.

Actually we need a WR more then a DE but with Gun's pressure the QB system you need a deep rotation of DE's.

Oh yeah hire a standin drafter. Don't let CP or any of the whizkids anywhere near the phones or the drafting war room.

Deberg_1990
10-17-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm hoping a second CB to play opposite Warfield.

Antre Rolle would look awful good in a Chiefs uniform....

BigVE
10-17-2004, 05:27 PM
will some one plz tell me why i have seen like 20 something post for o-linemen we need a real wideout no more sammieparkers. or a corner back and we better not DARE!!!! trade down i want playmakers no more depth :P

I will give you a tip since your new here...Do I WANT an O-lineman or rb??? NO. Have the Chiefs drafted who WE think we need...ever?? NO. If we have a top 5 pick do I think we will get a difference maker? Nope....even if he is sitting front and center saying PICK ME PICK ME we would pass on the playmaker and pick up, say, a RB? (sarcasm is harder to express in written form than in spoken)

Chiefnj
10-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Best available athlete.

Bowser
10-17-2004, 05:28 PM

Carl Pickens would look good in a Chiefs uni at this point! :shake:

milkman
10-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Come on, we all know that Carl will draft a player at the least position of need.

Who's the TE at UCLA?
That'll be the pick.

oaklandhater
10-17-2004, 05:30 PM

ive been thinking the same thing him and warfeild would make one of the best CB duo in the nfl

oaklandhater
10-17-2004, 05:31 PM
I will give you a tip since your new here...Do I WANT an O-lineman or rb??? NO. Have the Chiefs drafted who WE think we need...ever?? NO. If we have a top 5 pick do I think we will get a difference maker? Nope....even if he is sitting front and center saying PICK ME PICK ME we would pass on the playmaker and pick up, say, a RB? (sarcasm is harder to express in written form than in spoken)

Lmao :)

Deberg_1990
10-17-2004, 05:31 PM
ive been thinking the same thing him and warfeild would make one of the best CB duo in the nfl

You cant go wrong with a Miami player lately....they rarely have any flops...

Skip Towne
10-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Carl and DV won't be around to watch our picks develop so why should they give a shit?

Logical
10-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Carl and DV won't be around to watch our picks develop so why should they give a shit?

Damn fine point.

The Bad Guy
10-17-2004, 05:46 PM
I would also take Rolle from Miami.

Hell, I'd take Cris Dishman back after watching that worthless midget McCleon today.

Randallflagg
10-17-2004, 06:07 PM

Nope! I bet RB in the first round....

oaklandhater
10-17-2004, 06:16 PM

fingers crossed

Coogs
10-17-2004, 06:46 PM
In order I'd want a CB, MLB, DE, WR.

We are on the same page as of the middle of October. My list...

1st Rolle CB Miami
2nd Hodge MLB Iowa
3rd Canty DE Virginia
4th Nugent K Ohio State

Chiefnj
10-17-2004, 07:31 PM
The team needs a lot of help. Positional draft possibilities:

1. LT. Roaf has lost a step this year. He was great against Baltimore but has been sluggish and has had some difficulty with speed rushers the rest of the year.

2. WR. A big strong fast WR. A legitimate #1 guy. Morton is a possession receiver and Kennison is over 30 years old and will continue to lose a step and suffer nagging injuries.

3. CB. Actually the Chiefs need 2 corners with Warfield poised to miss 4 games in 2005. This years free agent crop was the way to go, but Carl couldn't miss his vacation.

4. DE. I honestly think the Chiefs have a promising young line with Dalton, Siavii and Allen with Sims rotating in. A solid 3 down DE and the front 4 could be something impressive to watch for the next 3 years.

5. MLB. Is a position of need unless Mitchell earns a starting spot and starts grasping the game soon.

6. Safety. Nope, I'm not kidding. Woods has really looked bad this year and has been slow in helping the corners. I'm not sure if it's injury, age, the system or what but he is suffering. You watch a Williams or Reed or even a Polamalu and you see the importance of having a top notch safety. [Note to CP - the safety is to be used as a safety. Not a LB and certainly not a CB.]

7. K.

jiveturkey
10-17-2004, 07:47 PM
6. Safety. Nope, I'm not kidding. Woods has really looked bad this year and has been slow in helping the corners. I'm not sure if it's injury, age, the system or what but he is suffering. You watch a Williams or Reed or even a Polamalu and you see the importance of having a top notch safety. [Note to CP - the safety is to be used as a safety. Not a LB and certainly not a CB.]

Battle might make a good FS.

Sapp has made him irrevelant as even a dime CB.

It might also be time to try the Bartee experiment again and move Mcleon to the nickle CB and if Sapp beats him there then move him down to the Dime. Either way this should be his last year with the Chiefs. 90% of the plays that go for more than 10 yards are on his side of the field.

Sure-Oz
10-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Crush, can your sig get any bigger?

BigChiefFan
10-17-2004, 07:51 PM
I think it's a must to get the absolute best CB in the draft. Carl needs to quit (. x. )(. x. )(. x. )(. x. )ing around with all the tweeners and get a tried and true CORNER BACK!!!! Carl's draft record speaks for itself, if Rolle was available he'd probably trade down.

go bo
10-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Battle might make a good FS.

Sapp has made him irrevelant as even a dime CB.

It might also be time to try the Bartee experiment again and move Mcleon to the nickle CB and if Sapp beats him there then move him down to the Dime. Either way this should be his last year with the Chiefs. 90% of the plays that go for more than 10 yards are on his side of the field.battle still could develop into a fine cb...

remember "openfield"? lots of folks wanted to dump him, for several years, and now he's playing very well...

battle is similar, imo...

and he has the physical tools to be something special, he just needs time to develop...

i hope... :( :( :(

Coogs
10-17-2004, 08:05 PM
The team needs a lot of help. Positional draft possibilities:

1. LT. Roaf has lost a step this year. He was great against Baltimore but has been sluggish and has had some difficulty with speed rushers the rest of the year.

2. WR. A big strong fast WR. A legitimate #1 guy. Morton is a possession receiver and Kennison is over 30 years old and will continue to lose a step and suffer nagging injuries.

3. CB. Actually the Chiefs need 2 corners with Warfield poised to miss 4 games in 2005. This years free agent crop was the way to go, but Carl couldn't miss his vacation.

4. DE. I honestly think the Chiefs have a promising young line with Dalton, Siavii and Allen with Sims rotating in. A solid 3 down DE and the front 4 could be something impressive to watch for the next 3 years.

5. MLB. Is a position of need unless Mitchell earns a starting spot and starts grasping the game soon.

7. K.

It's hard to argue this list. Having wanted to draft a WR and offense for the last couple of drafts, I really hate to see us draft offense. I like the dverall direction the defense is going, and think that unit is going to be the one that carries us the next few years. Finish the defense with a couple of playmakers, and hope the OT from Syracuse, and Parker pan out for the two spots you have mentioned.

And with Holmes, Green, Gonzo, Wilson, Morton, Horn (yes, Horn), the play action passing game should be fine. Screw the wide-open game. Get back to using what works.

listopencil
10-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Crush, can your sig get any bigger?

Yes. Yes, it could. Very easily.

jiveturkey
10-17-2004, 08:10 PM
battle still could develop into a fine cb...

remember "openfield"? lots of folks wanted to dump him, for several years, and now he's playing very well...

battle is similar, imo...

and he has the physical tools to be something special, he just needs time to develop...

i hope... :( :( :(I can't argue with that.

FRCDFED
10-17-2004, 08:15 PM
If you have a top 5 pick then without question you draft the BEST FREAKING ATHLETE AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!!

That is how you get talent onto a team. You do not draft by position with a top 5 pick unless your team is stacked. Since we have so many needs then we take the best athlete.

All of this is a moot point because mark my words.......Carl will trade for our 1st rounder for more 3rd and 4th round picks so he can look for more projects!

:cuss:

OldTownChief
10-17-2004, 08:16 PM
By the start of next season we'll probably need a RB, QB, OT, DG, CB, $hit load of LB's, Safety, WR, and a gawd damn fugging kicker.

shaneo69
10-17-2004, 08:17 PM
The only way I want a CB in the 1st round is if the best free agent CB (whoever that is) won't accept our offer of a $15 signing bonus.

Give me a stud WR in the 1st round to take some pressure off Gonzo.

I really think our defense is close to being a very good unit. Once we get rid of Holliday and Allen is ready to take over, we'll be good on the line, and Fox replaces Barber, we'll be better at LB IMO. Our front seven has been good lately, not letting Jamal Lewis kill us and not giving Taylor any room to run. As Siavii gets better, I think we can be dominating up front.

But Dexter is our weakest link, and I don't want a rookie learning on the job when we have a shot at winning it all.

Not that there are any sure things at QB coming out of the draft, but we also could use a QBotF.

shaneo69
10-17-2004, 08:21 PM
The only way I want a CB in the 1st round is if the best free agent CB (whoever that is) won't accept our offer of a $15 signing bonus.

I really think our defense is close to being a very good unit. Once we get rid of Holliday and Allen is ready to take over, we'll be good on the line, and Fox replaces Barber, we'll be better at LB IMO. Our front seven has been good lately, not letting Jamal Lewis kill us and not giving Taylor any room to run. As Siavii gets better, I think we can be dominating up front.

But Dexter is our weakest link, and I don't want a rookie learning on the job when we have a shot at winning it all.

Not that there are any sure things at QB coming out of the draft, but we also could use a QBotF.

I forgot to mention that I think Jordan Black can replace Roaf. Jordan's looked good when he's had a shot to play. So I wouldn't take an OL in the early rounds.

FRCDFED
10-17-2004, 08:22 PM

Dalton, Siavii, and Allen have all three been great additions. It seems as if Dalton and Siavii (when paired together) almost always collapse the OL and get a great push while Allen is pretty athletic.

Beisel needs to go and while Fujita is athletic I just wish he was more physical!

Raiderhater
10-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Depends on wether or not we pick up Drew Brees.

If we don't, QBOTF.

If we do, either the best CB or the best WR.

Hammock Parties
10-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Depends on wether or not we pick up Drew Brees.

If we don't, QBOTF.

If we do, either the best CB or the best WR.

Do we really want Brees? I'm tired of QBs with average physical skills. The Chiefs should draft someone that's about 7 feet tall and can throw it all the way to Toledo.

philfree
10-17-2004, 08:39 PM
Depends upon who's available. We need a big time playmaker on either side of the ball. It's hard to say though with the probablility of a change in coaching staff coming after 2005 what type of player we need.

PhilFree :arrow:

Bowser
10-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Do we really want Brees? I'm tired of QBs with average physical skills. The Chiefs should draft someone that's about 7 feet tall and can throw it all the way to Toledo.

I think Shaq has a pretty good gig right now.

CosmicPal
10-17-2004, 08:42 PM

Kewl..how bout a three team trade? We send Tampa Bay Larry Johnson for Keenan McCardell and turn around and trade him to Pitt for Ben Roethlinberger (or however you spell his name)?

:D

shaneo69
10-17-2004, 08:44 PM

I think that's the strategy Seattle used back in 1991 when they picked 6'8 Dan McGwire (Mark's brother) ahead of Brett Favre in the 1st round.

David.
I'd take Brees :shrug:

Raiderhater

Brees is under-appreciated due to the fact that he has been stuck in that quagmire that is the San Diego Chargers. He's playing well this year.

Now, if you care to provide me a list of QBs that are going to be in the draft, I will certainly look it over. I honestly do not know who is going to be eligible this year, so if I hear the right name I will jump off the Brees bandwagon.

shaneo69
10-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Brees is under-appreciated due to the fact that he has been stuck in that quagmire that is the San Diego Chargers. He's playing well this year.

Now, if you care to provide me a list of QBs that are going to be in the draft, I will certainly look it over. I honestly do not know who is going to be eligible this year, so if I hear the right name I will jump off the Brees bandwagon.

Leinert, USC
Rodgers, Cal
Walter, AZ St.

David.
10-17-2004, 08:46 PM
I'd rather have Brees :shrug:

Raiderhater
10-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Leinert, USC
Rodgers, Cal
Walter, AZ St.

I have not seen one of them play, so hold on a minute while I look up stats and profiles......

jspchief
10-17-2004, 08:53 PM
I don't want a CB. I think Warfield is good enough to be our "shutdown" guy. If we can replace McReception with someone that sucks half as much, it will be enough to make our secondary solid assuming our pass rush continues to improve (Jared Allen).

LB is a spot that I really think needs attention, but it's rare to find a LB worthy of a top 5 pick...even rarer for a MLB. I think we take another shot at a LB in the 2nd round.

My draft would look something like this...
1. WR. Tall and fast. We need a guy that can stretch the field an go up and get a ball. Think Roy Williams.
2. LB. Middle or outside, whichever spot has the best player available.
3. QB. Huard will never be the guy, so we need to start thinking about a guy we can groom into the position
4. FB. When Richardson is gone we're fooked. I want a real bulldozer.
5. DB, OL. At this point it's time to get the best available at positions that we need depth at. A speedy DB or solid body for the line.

I'd try and address the CB issue through FA. It doesn't have to be a #1, just a solid #2 to replace McReception. I also think we need to start looking for a safety to replace Woods. Someone that can actually land a hard hit on occasion (Lynch would have been nice).

Raiderhater
10-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Just going by stats, Rodgers looks impressive thus far. Has anyone seen him play?

jspchief
10-17-2004, 08:56 PM

Screw Brees. If you want a Tiller QB, get Orton in this year's draft. But honestly, I'm not a big fan of Purdue QBs. Their college stats are blown out of proportion by the system they play in.

Walters from USC looks good. He's not a one year wonder like a lot of college QBs.

Logical
10-17-2004, 08:58 PM

7. K.

We have a good young safety on this team, his name is Battle. let him have a shot at the position he belongs at next year.

shaneo69
10-17-2004, 08:58 PM
My draft would look something like this...
1. WR. Tall and fast. We need a guy that can stretch the field an go up and get a ball. Think Roy Williams.
2. LB. Middle or outside, whichever spot has the best player available.
3. QB. Huard will never be the guy, so we need to start thinking about a guy we can groom into the position
4. FB. When Richardson is gone we're fooked. I want a real bulldozer.
5. DB, OL. At this point it's time to get the best available at positions that we need depth at. A speedy DB or solid body for the line.

Had Peterson not wasted previous 4th round picks on FB's like Frank Moreau, George Layne, and Omar Easy, I would agree with you. It seems like our GM does better finding FB's off the scrap heap, like Anders and T-Rich.

shaneo69
10-17-2004, 09:00 PM
We have a good young safety on this team, his name is Battle. let him have a shot at the position he belongs at next year.

Pile and Harts could be starter-quality players as well, IMO.

ChiefsFanatic
10-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Antrel Rolle
Derrick Johnson

Those were absolutely the two players I was thinking about. I would like Rolle, but I bet Johnson will be a higher pick.

Mr. Laz
10-17-2004, 09:20 PM
the same gawd dam positions of need we had this last offseason and decided to take a vacation instead.

CB,MLB,RDE,WR

but now we have to add even more needs

so add

OT,QB,FB,DT (yes, another dam DT)

philfree
10-17-2004, 09:27 PM
CB,MLB,RDE,WR

but now we have to add even more needs

so add

OT,QB,DT (yes, another dam DT)

I think the DTs are fine at this point but a stud at any of the D positions mentioned would be fine. Next year IMO is a FA year. The draft is always important but next year we need to look hard at free agents.

PhilFree :arrow:

suds79
10-17-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm just believing more & more that Antrel Rolle will be a slam dunk in the NFL.

1st - He's the higest rated CB in the nation.
2nd - He's got all the physical skills you want in a CB
3rd - He's got experience. He shut down Fitzgerald last year.
4th - He's from Miami which is quickly becoming NFL U.

I have a problem with the fact that not 1 defensive player on our team is from Miami.

Abba-Dabba
10-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Like the last 4 yrs, I want a legitimate CB. No more of the wishy washy putennanny crap trying to make a CB. A honest to god CB.

History has shown us it is easier to draft a CB in the 1st and have him contribute that year than expect a 1st round WR contribute in his first year. Simply put, it's harder to get a WR up to speed to be able to play than a CB.

FA in the offseason I wouldn't mind seeing a WR, DE, and a OLB signed. After that, throw up the chips and see where they lay.

Ugly Duck
10-18-2004, 12:19 AM
I say you should draft Diaper Boy again.

Crush
10-18-2004, 12:21 AM
I say you should draft Diaper Boy again.

Believe me if King Carl could, he would.

Ugly Duck
10-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Believe me if King Carl could, he would.I admire your abilty to keep your sense of humor after a devastating loss! Pip-pip, cheerio! How does that song go?

"Life's a piece of shit,
When you look at it,
so... Look on the bright side of life!"

huskerdooz
10-18-2004, 03:28 AM
RBOTF?!

we already got one.

I think that was his point.

Nightfyre
10-18-2004, 03:34 AM
I'll say this again:

Who gives a sh*t!

I qualify!

Nightfyre
10-18-2004, 03:41 AM
I qualify!
Not only that, I don't even play football! And I'm a freshman. Hell draft me!
--Edit
Does all that increase my odds?

digi2fish
10-18-2004, 03:47 AM
General Manager

yes, I want it badly.

OmahaChief
10-18-2004, 05:46 AM
I'm just believing more & more that Antrel Rolle will be a slam dunk in the NFL.

I have a problem with the fact that not 1 defensive player on our team is from Miami.

That is becuase Carl on scouts the Big 12.

Saulbadguy
10-18-2004, 06:15 AM
Cornerbacks

Antrel Rolle, Miami-FL
Grade: 98
Bottom line: Rolle played in eight games as a true freshman in 2001 before taking over as a 12-game starter in '02. He had a breakout junior season in '03 when he almost single-handedly held WR Larry Fitzgerald (Cardinals No. 3 pick overall in '04) to just three receptions for 26 yards. Rolle finished his junior season with 51 tackles, two interceptions and seven passes broken up. Rolle can still improve his technique and overall recognition skills as a cornerback, but he has few other weaknesses. He is a big, physical cover corner with great fluidity for his size, adequate speed to turn and run, and playmaking skills when the ball is in the air. As it stands right now, he's the most physically gifted corner in the '05 class and likely will come off the board within the top-10 picks.

Marlin Jackson, Michigan
Grade: 96
Bottom line: Jackson played in 11 games and started seven as a true freshman. He started every game at cornerback in '02 and set a record with six passes broken up vs. Washington and Reggie Williams (Jaguars 1st round pick in '04) in the season opener. Jackson then moved to free safety as a junior in '03. He missed three games due to a leg injury and finished with 50 tackles, two interceptions and four passes broken up. His experience at safety gives him more versatility, but he is a much better NFL prospect at the cornerback position, where he has returned as a senior in '04. Jackson had some trouble off the field, and his play on the field has been inconsistent the past couple seasons. However, if he makes a successful move back to cornerback, shows more consistency and plays up to his talent level, he could push Miami's Antrel Rolle for the honors of becoming the first cornerback taken in the '05 draft.

Corey Webster, LSU
Grade: 92
Bottom line: Webster was also a highly recruited basketball star in high school but elected to play football. He played wide receiver his first two seasons at LSU but moved to cornerback in 2002, where he wound up as a consensus first team All-SEC and led the SEC with seven interceptions in his first season as a starter. He returned as a fulltime starter in his '03 junior season and continued to improve his technique and consistency at the position. Webster was granted an extra season of eligibility after he was ineligible as a true freshman in 2000. The fifth-year senior will start as CB for the third straight year. Webster has improved every season and developed into a solid man-to-man cover corner in coach Nick Saban's aggressive scheme that often leaves its cornerbacks on an island. Webster has good size and is an aggressive, physical cornerback, but he has just adequate top-end speed. He has the potential, in our opinion, to develop into a solid No. 2 starter in a press coverage scheme in the NFL, such as the one the Eagles run. If nothing else, he should be a terrific special teams player and a young cornerback that can provide good depth as a No. 3 that can matchup on the outside. When it is all said and done, Webster is likely to be selected in the second-round range of the '05 draft.

Antonio Perkins, Oklahoma
Grade: 89
Bottom line: Perkins redshirted in 2000 and played a backup role at cornerback most of his redshirt freshman season in '01 before taking over as a starter with three games left. He has been a starting cornerback and punt return man since, and also has handled some of the kickoff return duties. As a junior in '03, Perkins had 51 tackles and three interceptions, averaged 12.1 yards per punt return with four touchdowns, and also had eight kickoff returns. Perkins is actually a late-Day 1 cornerback prospect, whose value has increased since he's the best punt return specialist in college football with seven career touchdown returns prior to his senior season. As a CB, Perkins has just decent size, is capable in man-and-zone coverages, has excellent ball skills, and likely will become a solid nickel cornerback in the NFL. In the meantime, he should immediately contribute as a starting punt return specialist for the team that drafts him.

Saulbadguy
10-18-2004, 06:15 AM
Outside linebackers

Derrick Johnson, Texas
Grade: 98
Bottom line: Johnson played every game as a true freshman in 2001 and started two at outside linebacker. He has been a fulltime starting outside linebacker for the Longhorns since his sophomore season in '02. As a junior, Johnson led the Longhorns with 129 total tackles, including 29 TFL (tackles for loss), two sacks and four INTs. Johnson is an outside linebacker prospect that will best fit on the "weakside" in the NFL. He is a tall, somewhat lean, active, tough, aggressive, athletic and fast linebacker with tremendous NFL potential. Johnson made an unexpected but wise decision to return for his senior season. If he can continue to fill out between now and the combine, and if he improves his ability to take on and shed blockers as a senior, Johnson should be the first linebacker taken in the '05 draft and could be a top-15 selection.

Kevin Burnett, Tennessee
Grade: 87
Bottom line: Burnett came to Tennessee as a free safety but was moved to linebacker midway through his true freshman season in 2000. He started two games in '01 and was set to become the Vols' fulltime starting "weakside" linebacker in '02 before tearing his ACL, which required reconstructive knee surgery and cost him the entire '02 season and '03 spring practice. As a junior, Burnett started all 13 games and finished with 77.5 total tackles, 7.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks. While he didn't miss a game and made progress throughout the season, Burnett clearly was not playing with the same reckless abandon that he had played with prior to the injury. Burnett is a terrific athlete with good size and speed. He is excellent in coverage and also shows good burst and instincts as a pass rusher. If Burnett proves he can stay healthy for another full season as a senior and if he can build on the momentum that he generated at the end of '03, he has the potential to get back into the first round of the '05 draft. Right now, however, there are too many questions still lingering about his confidence and durability for him to grade out any higher than a second-round prospect.

Michael Boley, Southern Mississippi
Grade: 78
Bottom line: As a junior in 2003, Boley started all 13 games at SLB and finished second behind Rod Davis (Vikings) with 151 total tackles, 22.5 TFL, and 11 sacks. It was his second straight year with more than 100 tackles. He is a two-time first team All-Conference USA selection that has produced 18 sacks and 37.5 tackles for loss over the past two seasons. Boley does not have great size and he is not an ideal fit at the SLB position in the NFL as a result. Also, while he has very good speed, he is not nearly as productive when asked to turn and run in coverage as he is when turned loose as a pass rusher in the passing game. With that in mind, Boley will need to find a niche in the NFL, possibly as an outside linebacker on first and second down who transforms into an edge rusher on obvious passing downs. Regardless, Boley has been a huge playmaker throughout his college career and has the speed, power and tackling skills to at least contribute on special teams and as a situational pass rusher early in his NFL career while he tries to find a fulltime role. Right now, Boley is a late Day 1 prospect that can improve his stock by getting bigger and stronger, and also by showing more consistency taking on and shedding blocks as a senior.

Chiefnj
10-18-2004, 08:22 AM
I like college football and guessing how certain players will fill voids on certain teams in the pros. But lets be honest, the Chiefs have been pretty poor in developing their draft talent the last 5 years or so. If they get a solid starter and one part time player to produce their first year, they would be doing very well. It's fun to say draft Rolle at CB in the first, Nance at WR in the 2nd, a Kicker in the third, etc., but there is simply no way in hell THIS team can rely on rookies to get them over a hump in one year.

Swanman
10-18-2004, 09:57 AM

I did a quick analysis a couple weeks ago and in the last 8 years, not one player from Miami has been drafted by the Chiefs. I'm sure DV would give us the BS line that they don't fit the "profile". I guess the "profile" excludes talented players that will actually contribute meaningfully to an NFL roster. That analysis also confirmed that we draft way too many players out of the PAC-10 and mid-majors and not enough from proven conferences like the SEC.

htismaqe
10-18-2004, 10:00 AM
I like college football and guessing how certain players will fill voids on certain teams in the pros. But lets be honest, the Chiefs have been pretty poor in developing their draft talent the last 5 years or so. If they get a solid starter and one part time player to produce their first year, they would be doing very well. It's fun to say draft Rolle at CB in the first, Nance at WR in the 2nd, a Kicker in the third, etc., but there is simply no way in hell THIS team can rely on rookies to get them over a hump in one year.

If we end up with a top 5 pick, the best case scenario is that THIS team gets gutted, the coaching staff and front office goes, Priest goes, and we COMPLETELY start over...

nmt1
10-18-2004, 10:02 AM
If we end up with a top 5 pick, the best case scenario is that THIS team gets gutted, the coaching staff and front office goes, Priest goes, and we COMPLETELY start over...

This is also the most unlikely scenario even if the Chiefs end up with a top five pick.

Mr. Laz
10-18-2004, 11:22 AM
i seriously doubt the chiefs end up with a top 5 pick

it's just not the trend... we will win enough meaningless games towards the end of the year to move us down to the middle of the 1st round.

an 8-8 record is a good bet, and it follows the trend ... the chiefs
have followed up every 13-3 season during the Peterson tenure with
a .500-ish record.