PDA

View Full Version : Game accessment

Chris Meck
10-18-2004, 08:27 AM
game-ball goes to the Jaguars interior defensive line. Shields, Wiegmann, and Waters just got whipped all game long. Then they'd stunt around and whip Welbourne every once in awhile just for good measure.

That doesn't happen very often. But it did yesterday. They neutralized Priest Holmes, which we haven't seen anyone do in the last couple of years. They harassed Green, who did a helluva job under the circumstances.

Saunders didn't call his best game, but blaming it on the coaching is silly. It's not like there were all sorts of things open to him that he wasn't utilizing.

Defensively...well, McCleon got toasted all game long. He had good coverage technically several times but Leftwich just dropped the ball into a perfect spot. I've never been one to bank on 'prototype' size, but it was clear yesterday that McCleon just can't man up on bigger WR's with a strong armed, accurate QB.

Even sans Sims, our defensive line did a nice job; harassed Leftwich, hammered him, stopped the run. Fujita and Beisel were clearly not able to run full speed-their respective injuries showed on the Taylor TD grab. Then again, Taylor makes people look real slow when he's healthy. It's easy to forget because he's injured so much. Warfield was again VERY good. Perhaps it's time to just start sticking him on whoever the other team's best receiver is.

I'd say that overall, breakdowns and McCleon aside-the defense played well enought to win yesterday. The offense let them down by NOT being able to get a first down after stopping the Jags late in the 4th. Just one lousy first down and The Chiefs win. Holmes came up ONE yard short.

Tynes had a bad game; let's not hang the kid yet, it happens. But the extra point and the field goal and that last drive of the Jags has a different atmosphere surrounding it and a different defensive attitude. Who knows?

Kudos to young Mr. Leftwich-he's a tough cookie. They hammered him all afternoon, and he kept delivering the ball on the money. Gutsy performance.

One more loss in the next game or two and it's time to start the kids-Battle, Mitchell, Allen,-see what you've got. Denver's pulling away and a wildcard from the west looks unlikely. I think McCleon and Holliday's contracts are up after the season, and we need to see what the youngsters can do before the draft and free agency. I think it's clear that the season has likely slipped away-and I don't blame Peterson, I don't blame Vermeil or Saunders and I sure as hell don't blame Gun. I do blame the injury bug. You can't really plan around that in the salary-cap age.

chris

Phobia
10-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Yeah - because if we had Boerighter or Wilson we would have achieved that elusive first down with 3 minutes remaining. If Bo or Wilson would have been available, maybe we would have gone for it on 4th down. Because these guys are injured, we can't possibly have a foot on the throat, killer attitude that wins games.

Chris, I always look forward to your game analysis. Most of the time I agree - as I do with most of your post even today.

But you're dead wrong about the coaching being accountable on this one. Gunther called defenses which allowed 80% 3rd down conversions in the first half. Each one of them was a replay of the one before. WR runs to the sticks, turns around, and catches the ball in front of a DB.

Al Saunders HAS to pick up a first down with 3 minutes to go - or go down fighting for it. Which is more likely: picking up that last yard behind Will, Willie, Weigs, Waters, and Welby or a long figgie by the kid who just missed a 19 yard PAT?

munkey
10-18-2004, 08:42 AM
I do blame the injury bug. You can't really plan around that in the salary-cap age.

I'd have to agree with one exception....our LB corps have been suspect from the very beginning.

BigChiefFan
10-18-2004, 08:45 AM
They should have been lining up Warfield on the opposing teams' best WR to begin with. If they are just now realizing this now, than that is part of the problem. The guys get paid how much, when clearly any logical fan could easily determine this. The Chiefs shat down their legs and I'm sick of the excuses. Carl knew how pathetic our defense was and CHOSE to go on vacation the first week of FA. Shame on him and the rest of us for believing the SOS from him year in and year out.

Hoover
10-18-2004, 08:50 AM
That Sack by Allen was sweet!

Gaz
10-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Chris-

I think you are letting the coaching staff off a bit too lightly, but the rest of your assessment is spot on.

xoxo~
Gaz
Amazed at how many ways the Chiefs can find to lose a game.

Swanman
10-18-2004, 09:46 AM
They should have been lining up Warfield on the opposing teams' best WR to begin with.

I was starting to think I was seeing things every time I saw McCushion lining up opposite Jimmy Smith.

One other thing that bugged me was the telegraphing of every blitz. We did everything but send the playcall over to the Jags O coordinator.

Rain Man
10-18-2004, 09:49 AM
One other thing that bugged me was the telegraphing of every blitz. We did everything but send the playcall over to the Jags O coordinator.

I totally agree. I was surprised at how obvious the blitzes were. I was always able to correctly tell who was rushing/blitzing on a particular play. That's not supposed to happen.

As another comment, I was darn impressed by Fred Taylor's raw speed. I hated that long TD, but I have to salute the guy for it.

cash1000
10-18-2004, 09:50 AM
It was a weird game. Jacksonville offensive line was horrible and Jacksonville's playcalling was idiotic but somehow Leftwich passed for 298 yards(he only tried to throw deep about 5 times) and they still won, because the Chiefs were even more inept.

BigChiefFan
10-18-2004, 09:53 AM
I totally agree. I was surprised at how obvious the blitzes were. I was always able to correctly tell who was rushing/blitzing on a particular play. That's not supposed to happen.

As another comment, I was darn impressed by Fred Taylor's raw speed. I hated that long TD, but I have to salute the guy for it.
Another glaring example of why retaining Woods was a bad idea. He was already back there and he still couldn't catch him. Taylor is a speedster, but somebody should have been covering that side of the field. WTF is going on with the Chiefs FO?

htismaqe
10-18-2004, 09:57 AM
I agree with Phobia. The coaching in this game was HORRIBLE. Gunther ran the god damn SPINNER 3 times on Jax's opening drive.

Rick
10-18-2004, 11:55 AM
game-ball goes to the Jaguars interior defensive line. Shields, Wiegmann, and Waters just got whipped all game long. Then they'd stunt around and whip Welbourne every once in awhile just for good measure.

That doesn't happen very often. But it did yesterday. They neutralized Priest Holmes, which we haven't seen anyone do in the last couple of years. They harassed Green, who did a helluva job under the circumstances.

Saunders didn't call his best game, but blaming it on the coaching is silly. It's not like there were all sorts of things open to him that he wasn't utilizing.

Defensively...well, McCleon got toasted all game long. He had good coverage technically several times but Leftwich just dropped the ball into a perfect spot. I've never been one to bank on 'prototype' size, but it was clear yesterday that McCleon just can't man up on bigger WR's with a strong armed, accurate QB.

Even sans Sims, our defensive line did a nice job; harassed Leftwich, hammered him, stopped the run. Fujita and Beisel were clearly not able to run full speed-their respective injuries showed on the Taylor TD grab. Then again, Taylor makes people look real slow when he's healthy. It's easy to forget because he's injured so much. Warfield was again VERY good. Perhaps it's time to just start sticking him on whoever the other team's best receiver is.

I'd say that overall, breakdowns and McCleon aside-the defense played well enought to win yesterday. The offense let them down by NOT being able to get a first down after stopping the Jags late in the 4th. Just one lousy first down and The Chiefs win. Holmes came up ONE yard short.

Tynes had a bad game; let's not hang the kid yet, it happens. But the extra point and the field goal and that last drive of the Jags has a different atmosphere surrounding it and a different defensive attitude. Who knows?

Kudos to young Mr. Leftwich-he's a tough cookie. They hammered him all afternoon, and he kept delivering the ball on the money. Gutsy performance.

One more loss in the next game or two and it's time to start the kids-Battle, Mitchell, Allen,-see what you've got. Denver's pulling away and a wildcard from the west looks unlikely. I think McCleon and Holliday's contracts are up after the season, and we need to see what the youngsters can do before the draft and free agency. I think it's clear that the season has likely slipped away-and I don't blame Peterson, I don't blame Vermeil or Saunders and I sure as hell don't blame Gun. I do blame the injury bug. You can't really plan around that in the salary-cap age.

chris

I agree with you on the idea of moving Warfield around. McCleon was good last year but is awful this year. I thought J. Battle was supposed to be a stud. I'm so tired of unfulfilled promises.

Rick
10-18-2004, 11:56 AM
I agree with Phobia. The coaching in this game was HORRIBLE. Gunther ran the god damn SPINNER 3 times on Jax's opening drive.

I agree. Gunther had some real suspect calls. We should never blitz again until we learn how to hide it also. We seem to always show it early as hell.

shaneo69
10-18-2004, 01:15 PM

It's a shame that Gunther isn't getting the help from our offense that GRob got.

Lzen
10-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Game accessment

Well, I was able to access the game through my local CBS affiliate. And the picture stayed clear throughout the 3+ hour matchup. ;)

2bikemike
10-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Some real good assessments here. I agree with a lot of Chris's takes but I too think play calling was off on both sides of the ball. So that goes to the coaches.

I admit I didn't see the game and only had Lenny's takes but IIRC he said something about the first play after we had the miraculous 4th down stop at Jvilles 33. He said Jville knew we were going to run the ball and defensed it accordingly. I don't know if they had 8 men in the box but IMHO they should have came out throwing going for the TD and stuck a knife in the heart of Jville.

ck_IN
10-18-2004, 03:40 PM
IfI say a few Hail Mary's will we please retire this injury crutch? It's beyond lame and getting pathetic.

The only starters from last years O that we lost was Kennison and he's back. We did lose Bo but he was an offensive non-factor last year. We might miss his blocking on ST but ST blockers are a dime a dozen except for the Taskers of the world which Bo isn't. Wilson is a rookie and therefore anything he adds is gravy.

Defensivly Maz, Mitchell and Biesel got hurt. Big deal! Our MLB's are a sorry lot to begin with. I wish them no ill but any of these guys getting hurt is no big loss. They're all pretty bad interchangable parts.

Sims got hurt. Actually that's a plus since he's not stealing time from Dalton or Junior either of which are light years better then he.

The injury's we've had are nothing compared to what some other teams have had and are normal part and parcel of playing in the NFL. If you can't cope with the fact that our million dollar coaches are getting schooled week in and week out or that our high flying O cut its rep on weak sisters last year and is having trouble with teams that can actually play this year then I'm sorry but those are the facts.

philfree
10-18-2004, 05:45 PM
That doesn't happen very often. But it did yesterday. They neutralized Priest Holmes,

I think we came out passing and that took Holmes out of the game. And as has been pointed out in other threads when we did run we ran right at the strength of their D. It was like we tried to trick them instead of just beat them with our weapons. Also I thought Green had enough time to deliver the pass if or check it off if he did it quickly. It's like he's been trying to stay with the WRs longer and not taking the quick dump off. He didn't have time to stand and wait but IMO he had time to get most of his passes off if he went through his read quickly and let it go. IMO that goes back to the play selection early in the game.

PhilFree :arrow:

Hammock Parties
10-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Also I thought Green had enough time to deliver the pass if or check it off if he did it quickly. It's like he's been trying to stay with the WRs longer and not taking the quick dump off. He didn't have time to stand and wait but IMO he had time to get most of his passes off if he went through his read quickly and let it go.

Green is definitely holding the ball too long. It resulted in at least 3 of the sacks yesterday.

Inspector
10-18-2004, 07:56 PM
I thought we figured out how to beat teams in Baltimore.

I guess that was just a Monday night thing.

Rausch
10-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Green is definitely holding the ball too long. It resulted in at least 3 of the sacks yesterday.

And if our O Lineman don't hold we have another 14 pts and 100 yards...

Vick breaks a tackle and it's a miracle, Trent does it an he's "in the grasp."

Rausch
10-18-2004, 07:59 PM
I thought we figured out how to beat teams in Baltimore.

I guess that was just a Monday night thing.

No, we've beaten them three straight.

It's that sunday $#it that's killing us...

BIG K
10-18-2004, 10:26 PM
[Vick breaks a tackle and it's a miracle, Trent does it an he's "in the grasp."[/QUOTE]

I am curious if the ref's had been calling the "in the grasp" rule when Elway was playing, if he would have had the remarkable career he had or would he have faded within the first couple of years....

:hmmm:

Hammock Parties
10-18-2004, 10:40 PM
And if our O Lineman don't hold we have another 14 pts and 100 yards...

Vick breaks a tackle and it's a miracle, Trent does it an he's "in the grasp."

14 more points? How do you figure. I can see 7....but not 14.

The in the grasp bullshit is getting old though.

Hoover
10-18-2004, 10:53 PM
I think our record comes down to the following three things.

1. Play Calling on offense
2. Game Management (Use of Time Outs)
3. Third Down Defense.

So 2/3 of our problem is coaching