PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Mike's take on the game.

BigRedChief
10-18-2004, 11:22 AM
October’s visit to Jacksonville closes the door for February
http://www.nfl.com/u/nfl/photos/nfl162c_lower.jpg
By Mighty Mike
It is unfortunate the Chiefs weren’t able to enjoy this Sunday’s trip to Jacksonville because it’s the last one they’ll see this season. The Superbowl bus (packed with the “Keep the Faith” product line) has officially driven out of Kansas City and left Chiefs fans covered in its dust. Even if the Chiefs some how miraculously make the playoffs they do not have what it takes to beat a playoff team on the road. It is unfortunate that this is the case because this team has the talent to be better than that.

As far as the team psyche is concerned I don’t see the sense of urgency or the killer instinct that is needed to propel them to 10-6. It wasn’t there against Houston and it wasn’t there against Jacksonville either. When the Chiefs took the field on Sunday it was obvious that the Jaguars were the more intense of the two teams. At times it looked like Jacksonville had 15 defenders due to the way they were flying around. The Chiefs woke up at halftime and fought their way back in the fourth quarter but once again they couldn’t seal the deal. Last season this team was the best in the league when it came to delivering the kill shot, this season they cannot seem to find it. There is plenty of blame to go around as it partially falls on play execution, partially on coaching decisions, and partially on bad luck.

When it comes to poor play execution I will try to summarize and make this as quick and painless as possible. John Welbourne was continually beaten by average linebackers and scrub defensive ends. Dexter McCleon was beaten down the left hash all day by various receivers. Lawrence Tynes missed a crucial extra point and field goal in the closing minutes of the game. The same team that always seemed to find a way to win in 2003 is now consistently finding a way to lose.

The coaches also dropped the ball on the second to last offensive possession in the fourth quarter. The Chiefs had the ball on Jacksonville’s 33 yard line with 3:47 left on the clock and a two point lead. The Chiefs chose to run the ball on three straight plays which is fine because the needed to run some time off of the clock. What I question however is why did they run straight up the middle right in to the strength of the Jacksonville defense? They weren’t successful attempting that all day. Why not go play action again and look for your tight end? Why settle for a field goal? It just doesn’t make sense to me, once again there was no sense of urgency.

I also have to question why Gunther Cunningham didn’t assign Eric Warfield to Jimmy Smith. Smith didn’t beat the Chiefs by himself but it only makes sense to match your best corner against their best receiver. Had the Chiefs done this I think the Jaguars might not have been so successful in the first half.

Now that I have finished the ranting let me hand out some kudos. Since our playoff hopes have been squashed I have to find something good to talk about. Lionel Dalton showed up big again, if I were to vote today he would be the Chiefs defensive MVP. Speaking of defensive tackles, for those of you who were in awe by seeing Jacksonville’s two defensive tackles Henderson and Stroud you will enjoy watching Junior Siavii as he progresses. Siavii has the potential to be every bit as good as those two. On offense Johnny Morton did an outstanding job of finding the seams in Jacksonville’s zone defense. He finished the day with 7 catches for 111 yards. Trent Green also had a fine day as he scrambled like a mad man and made some amazing throws. His touchdown pass to Tony Gonzalez and pitch to Priest Holmes that also went for a TD were fantastic. Speaking of Holmes, he made the most of his carries, he is an all pro in every sense of the word. It is unfortunate he was only given 19 carries.

I want to change directions and look at the fans that were left covered in the dust of that Superbowl bus that left town. I have the luxury of being surrounded by some of the most rabid Chiefs fans you could ever find. I thought it would only be fair if I shared some of their post game thoughts. After all this is their game and their team. I wish I had answers for these fans. I will undoubtedly be asked what we can do to fix this catastrophe throughout the week. I can give you technical answers with alignments, formations, play calls, but at this point I think it is more than that. This team has been failing in so many areas that the entire organization has to look within themselves and find a way to turn it around.

“We didn't fix the holes that we needed to in the off-season and injuries haven't helped any. Hopefully, we'll make some changes and be able to make a run next year.”
“I love the Chiefs more than anybody but it's hard dealing with this disappointment year after year. I'll always stick with them but Geez”
“Get used to it. I've been a loyal Chiefs fan since 1970. They do this to me every year, Every year. And I always come back for more every September. I am disgusted with them and ticked off at them. But, I love them. I always will.”
“Yeah I know but gosh can we ever get our s#!@ together and finally make it to the Superbowl in my life time. I'm trying to be patient but it's tough.....excuse my language”
“You think Gunther wants to play Dexter? Are you kidding me? He just doesn't have anyone else to put in there.”
“I love your optimism. I'm just hoping that my son's son will be able to enjoy a Chiefs SB win during his lifetime.”

go bo
10-18-2004, 11:28 AM
okay, i'll bite...

who the hell is mighty mike??

BigRedChief
10-18-2004, 12:28 PM
He writes articles for the chiefscoalition website. Had a press pass during spring training. Saw a little more than me and you. Aspiring sports columinist. and former college classmate.