PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Jim with an awesome article...

shaneo69
10-19-2004, 11:32 AM
from KCChiefs.com...

BARNES: In Need of Medication
Oct 19, 2004, 12:00:46 PM by Jim Barnes

I need a happy pill. Maybe even three or four after one of the most depressing sports weekends I can remember.

It started on Saturday with my Mizzou Tigers’ close loss at Texas. Then my beloved St. Louis Cardinals got caged in Houston. Even worse, my partner and I came in dead last in our flight at our club’s final men’s tournament event for the season. Dead last in the last flight. Laughing stocks. They felt so sorry for us – or we were so sorry – that we got our entry fee refunded (I used it to buy wine).

Then comes Sunday. Figured it couldn’t get any worse. It did.

Both the Chiefs and the Cardinals absolutely blew their games. Maybe even their seasons. Good thing there was wine in the refrigerator (purchased with my loser money). Good thing my wife took all sharp objects and locked them up. I was pathetic.

I’m still pathetic today. And pissed.

Sunday’s game in Jacksonville might be one of the most disturbing games I’ve seen the Chiefs play (outside of the legendary Monday Night Meltdown against Denver). Here’s why:

There was no offensive patience to set up the run the way the Chiefs did on that great Monday night in Baltimore. We have the best running back and offensive line in the NFL, and we should be giving him the damned ball at least 25 to 30 times a game – on the ground. Wear the other guys down (see Baltimore game film). It’s not as sexy as all of those passes, but I’m into results.
Dexter McCleon needed help. Lots of it. And it didn’t appear to me that he got much if any. And while we’re at it, if William Bartee was worth re-signing, then isn’t the younger and taller guy the better choice to play that corner position. Let Dexter do what he was signed for – nickel situations. Bartee couldn’t do any worse than what I saw yesterday.
The pass protection breakdown could have been avoided (see first observation about giving Priest the damned ball). We’re lucky our quarterback still has a head today. Game ball goes to him for just staying alive.
And worst of all was what they did when they had the ball deep in Jacksonville territory with the Jags out of time outs. They played conservatively and didn’t get a first down. I hate that mentality. They should have been thinking touchdown. That’s what wins games. Touchdowns. Go for the touchdown and the first downs take care of themselves. Killer instinct. And the play calling on that series of downs shows that our Chiefs have yet to develop it.
The missed kicks? Those didn’t lose the game. If they’d shown killer instinct that last offensive series, we wouldn’t even be linking the missed kicks to the loss. And a young kicker wouldn’t be carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders the next time he steps up to do his job.
The litany could go on and on.

That said, I’m not ready to give up on the season. The Chiefs showed great resilience with that win at Baltimore. And I think they can do the same this week against Atlanta. And if they do that, then Indianapolis isn’t out of the question. Heavens to Betsy, if they can’t get up for that game then they deserve to be dead.

Finish the first half of the year at 4-4, and there is a fighting chance of getting into the playoffs. Actually a good chance. The run defense is looking better. The pressure on the quarterback is getting better. The offense is there if they will just use their tools better (see giving Priest Holmes the damned ball). Wear them down with the run, and then just destroy them in the 4th quarter with the pass.

Run up the score. Not the white flag.

Any suggestions on that happy pill?

ROYC75
10-19-2004, 01:46 PM
BARNES: In Need of Medication
Oct 19, 2004, 12:00:46 PM by Jim Barnes

I need a happy pill. Maybe even three or four after one of the most depressing sports weekends I can remember.

It started on Saturday with my Mizzou Tigers’ close loss at Texas. Then my beloved St. Louis Cardinals got caged in Houston. Even worse, my partner and I came in dead last in our flight at our club’s final men’s tournament event for the season. Dead last in the last flight. Laughing stocks. They felt so sorry for us – or we were so sorry – that we got our entry fee refunded (I used it to buy wine).

Then comes Sunday. Figured it couldn’t get any worse. It did.

Both the Chiefs and the Cardinals absolutely blew their games. Maybe even their seasons. Good thing there was wine in the refrigerator (purchased with my loser money). Good thing my wife took all sharp objects and locked them up. I was pathetic.

I’m still pathetic today. And pissed.

Sunday’s game in Jacksonville might be one of the most disturbing games I’ve seen the Chiefs play (outside of the legendary Monday Night Meltdown against Denver). Here’s why:

There was no offensive patience to set up the run the way the Chiefs did on that great Monday night in Baltimore. We have the best running back and offensive line in the NFL, and we should be giving him the damned ball at least 25 to 30 times a game – on the ground. Wear the other guys down (see Baltimore game film). It’s not as sexy as all of those passes, but I’m into results.
Dexter McCleon needed help. Lots of it. And it didn’t appear to me that he got much if any. And while we’re at it, if William Bartee was worth re-signing, then isn’t the younger and taller guy the better choice to play that corner position. Let Dexter do what he was signed for – nickel situations. Bartee couldn’t do any worse than what I saw yesterday.
The pass protection breakdown could have been avoided (see first observation about giving Priest the damned ball). We’re lucky our quarterback still has a head today. Game ball goes to him for just staying alive.
And worst of all was what they did when they had the ball deep in Jacksonville territory with the Jags out of time outs. They played conservatively and didn’t get a first down. I hate that mentality. They should have been thinking touchdown. That’s what wins games. Touchdowns. Go for the touchdown and the first downs take care of themselves. Killer instinct. And the play calling on that series of downs shows that our Chiefs have yet to develop it.
The missed kicks? Those didn’t lose the game. If they’d shown killer instinct that last offensive series, we wouldn’t even be linking the missed kicks to the loss. And a young kicker wouldn’t be carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders the next time he steps up to do his job.
The litany could go on and on.

That said, I’m not ready to give up on the season. The Chiefs showed great resilience with that win at Baltimore. And I think they can do the same this week against Atlanta. And if they do that, then Indianapolis isn’t out of the question. Heavens to Betsy, if they can’t get up for that game then they deserve to be dead.

Finish the first half of the year at 4-4, and there is a fighting chance of getting into the playoffs. Actually a good chance. The run defense is looking better. The pressure on the quarterback is getting better. The offense is there if they will just use their tools better (see giving Priest Holmes the damned ball). Wear them down with the run, and then just destroy them in the 4th quarter with the pass.

Run up the score. Not the white flag.

Any suggestions on that happy pill?

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good read Jim ! :thumb:

Idahojim
10-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Hey, thanks for the kudos. Kudos also to kcchiefs.com for allowing a fan to vent some steam. It helped.

KCTitus
10-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Good job, Jeem.

stumppy
10-19-2004, 02:09 PM
We feel your pain brother.

ROYC75
10-19-2004, 02:28 PM
OK, I looked and didn't see this posted....I'm getting old and losing my eyesite !

bogie
10-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Jim, I look for and enjoy your insight on a regular basis. Keep up the good work, and don't give up hope!

ROYC75
10-19-2004, 02:50 PM
If only you'd listened to your mother when you were 13.

Bowser
10-19-2004, 03:54 PM
If only you'd listened to your mother when you were 13.

heh.

Nightfyre
10-19-2004, 03:59 PM
That was a choice article. I especially appreciated the sarcastic attack on both Bartee and McCleon, as well as the point about not running enough.