PDA

View Full Version : Do the Chiefs have enough Heart?

R&GHomer
10-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Does this team have the heart to fight their way back into this thing? I’m not even asking about talent at this point. The offense I think could, but the Defense is a different matter all together. They sucked up the place last year, and even though they look much improved this year; you know it has to be in the back of their minds.

I guess the real question is; can they continue to grow and mature as a unit? I sure hope so. I can’t remember ever writing off the Chiefs after 5 games, but this really looks bad.

Soupnazi
10-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Do individual players? Yes. Does the team as a whole? No.

Hoover
10-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Well we have Shanard Harts? Will that do?

Mr. Laz
10-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Heart ... yes imo they have tons of heart

attitude,fortitude,motivation,anger??? .... it doesn't appear so

under vermiel this team tends to play soft, against the Cravens on monday night they didn't want to get embarrassed and actually played a little pissed off.

against the jags they went back to "passive" play

what will they do the rest of the year?? :shrug:

we shall see i guess

Rick
10-19-2004, 03:28 PM
I don't think there is a single player that contributes that is lacking any of those things. I believe that that alone will not be enough to get back in the race. Sorry, but I believe it IS talent that is the culprit.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Does this team have the heart to fight their way back into this thing?
I seriously doubt it.

Mr. Laz
10-19-2004, 03:39 PM
I don't think there is a single player that contributes that is lacking any of those things. I believe that that alone will not be enough to get back in the race. Sorry, but I believe it IS talent that is the culprit.

then why such a difference between the Jags and Ravens game?

why so much more fight in the chiefs during the ravens game if it's just talent?

Bowser
10-19-2004, 04:15 PM
It's pretty hard to have heart and faith when you see your bosses in the front office squandering opportunities to improve.

Rick
10-19-2004, 04:23 PM
the why such a difference between the Jags and Ravens game?

why so much more fight in the chiefs during the ravens game if it's just talent?

One dimensiional. The Ravens are 32nd in passing. Our run defense even with a 3rd string MLB is better, but our pass defense is not. Jacksonville isn't a successfulll passing team this year and they got 300 plus yards versus us. Do you really think our guys aren't going 100% with a chip on their shoulder? I'll give them credit for that. We only have one corner and our safeties haven't been that good against the pass.

jspchief
10-19-2004, 04:24 PM
I'm not going to call it "heart". But they lack something that differentiates the winners from the losers. I think it's more an "attitude". This team doesn't know how to be winners. DV's crying routine doesn't help any either. This team doesn't need love, tears, and a sense of family...they need a kick in the ass, a chip on their shoulder, and a nasty streak. Vermeil is too busy loving them like sons, and the one time he finally calls someone out, it's a guy that's never been given a chance, and wasn't given a chance to rise to the challenge.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-19-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm not going to call it "heart". But they lack something that differentiates the winners from the losers. I think it's more an "attitude". This team doesn't know how to be winners. DV's crying routine doesn't help any either. This team doesn't need love, tears, and a sense of family...they need a kick in the ass, a chip on their shoulder, and a nasty streak. Vermeil is too busy loving them like sons, and the one time he finally calls someone out, it's a guy that's never been given a chance, and wasn't given a chance to rise to the challenge.
best post ever.

Mr. Laz
10-19-2004, 04:39 PM
One dimensiional. The Ravens are 32nd in passing. Our run defense even with a 3rd string MLB is better, but our pass defense is not ....

and on offense?

Thig Lyfe
10-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Well we have Shanard Harts? Will that do?

inevitable...

keg in kc
10-19-2004, 04:47 PM
I don't know if it falls under the umbrella of 'heart', but I tend to think the team felt a sense of entitlement rather than a sense of urgency. They played like a team who thought they could waltz into the playoffs on reputation rather than performance, and I think it cost us in 3 of our 4 losses. Maybe all 4. Go into the season with the attitude of an underdog with something to prove rather than a fat and happy team sure they'll make the playoffs and I think we're 3-2 or 4-1 right now.

'course, whatever the case, we are what we are and that's a 1-4 squad that has to go 9-2 from now on to even sniff a shot at the postseason.

tk13
10-19-2004, 04:52 PM
I don't know if it falls under the umbrella of 'heart', but I tend to think the team felt a sense of entitlement rather than a sense of urgency. They played like a team who thought they could waltz into the playoffs on reputation rather than performance, and I think it cost us in 3 of our 4 losses. Maybe all 4. Go into the season with the attitude of an underdog with something to prove rather than a fat and happy team sure they'll make the playoffs and I think we're 3-2 or 4-1 right now.

'course, whatever the case, we are what we are and that's a 1-4 squad that has to go 9-2 from now on to even sniff a shot at the postseason.
I agree... I called "Royals Syndrome" early in training camp when we started "resting" guys all the time. I guess maybe they needed it, but I think they treated preseason like the Royals did, just a la-de-da type thing until the real season starts. Allard Baird realized that and said that crap isn't going to happen again and next spring training is going to be more like a boot camp where they stress fundamentals and such, hopefully DV sees that we can't jack around. I think he did kind of see that by his comments heading into the season that he just didn't feel as good about his team as he did coming out of the last training camp...

Mile High Mania
10-19-2004, 05:16 PM
I think it depends on what you mean by "back into this thing". Heart may have nothing to do with it, compared to timing.

Denver is 5-1 ... if they go .500 over the final 10 games - that's 10 wins.

KC is 1-4 ... they have 11 games left and if Denver wins only 5 more, KC would need to win 9 of 11 games to "tie" Denver (including a win over Denver at Arrowhead to nullify a sweep if they have identical records).

KC has a tough road in front of them if you are hoping for them to compete for the playoffs, even a wildcard.

Ultra Peanut
10-19-2004, 05:21 PM
"Heart" was such a stupid power, compared to the other four. I'm sure the rest of the Planeteers made fun of Mati when they weren't out stopping the looting and polluting that was not the way.

Rick
10-23-2004, 08:54 AM
and on offense?

We're playing better competition, teams have watched our offense for two years now and have adjusted (no more Priest on screens is one example), we don't enjoy the field position we use to cause of our special teams. No way can we expect to duplicate what we've been doing on offense with the exact same people.

the Talking Can
10-23-2004, 09:06 AM
we drink sheep sperm.....is that heart?

bricks
10-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Do individual players? Yes. Does the team as a whole? No.

Speaking of individual players, Shawn Barber definately lacks heart, and lots of it. I would also include Johnnie Morton on that list.

Thig Lyfe
10-23-2004, 10:37 AM
we drink sheep sperm.....is that heart?

no, that would be gross.

Hydrae
10-23-2004, 10:51 AM
This team has heart. It has no desire is what I get. There is no sense of urgency. No single player who will step up and be the rah rah guy pumping up the rest of the team. Noone to get in the grill of these guys and make them excited and really ready to go hit someone.

Yes, this team does their job. But there is no passion, no visible drive. They are not hungry. I get the feeling that they play as a team and are content to allow the worst player to be the common denominator rather that fighting to raise the level of the team as a whole.

Complacent may be the best word I can come up with here. Do the job and go home feeling that you did your basic job, collected a paycheck and the wins are not important. I want passion, fire, grit even fury. I want to see it as a fan even if it gets the player(s) in trouble with Daddy Vermeil. I want to see players jumping around after a big hit and getting excited. Then, even if they lose, I know that they wanted it and put it all on the field.

jspchief
10-23-2004, 11:52 AM
This team has heart. It has no desire is what I get. There is no sense of urgency. No single player who will step up and be the rah rah guy pumping up the rest of the team. Noone to get in the grill of these guys and make them excited and really ready to go hit someone.

Yes, this team does their job. But there is no passion, no visible drive. They are not hungry. I get the feeling that they play as a team and are content to allow the worst player to be the common denominator rather that fighting to raise the level of the team as a whole.

Complacent may be the best word I can come up with here. Do the job and go home feeling that you did your basic job, collected a paycheck and the wins are not important. I want passion, fire, grit even fury. I want to see it as a fan even if it gets the player(s) in trouble with Daddy Vermeil. I want to see players jumping around after a big hit and getting excited. Then, even if they lose, I know that they wanted it and put it all on the field.

Good post. In regards to you saying they lack desire and are complacent, Maybe what's really lacking is leadership.

In the past I've felt like Green has been a good offensive leader, but his confidence seems to suffer when he plays poorly and I think it reflects in the way he rallies the troops. There's just some games where he looks like he could take on the world, and others that he seems deflated.

On the defensive side of the ball, I don't think we have a true leader. I can't remember the last time I thought this D did. Maybe that comes from the lack of a true playmaker. It's hard to step up and command a performance from your fellow players when you're not performing at a high level yourself. I honestly don't see anyone on our roster that will grow into the roll either.

Deberg_1990
10-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Good post. In regards to you saying they lack desire and are complacent, Maybe what's really lacking is leadership.

In the past I've felt like Green has been a good offensive leader, but his confidence seems to suffer when he plays poorly and I think it reflects in the way he rallies the troops. There's just some games where he looks like he could take on the world, and others that he seems deflated.

On the defensive side of the ball, I don't think we have a true leader. I can't remember the last time I thought this D did. Maybe that comes from the lack of a true playmaker. It's hard to step up and command a performance from your fellow players when you're not performing at a high level yourself. I honestly don't see anyone on our roster that will grow into the roll either.

No..its all a direct refelection of the coach..Vermeil...I mean, how much fire and drive to be a championship team does this guy really have?? Hes like 70 now isnt he??

Ultra Peanut
10-23-2004, 12:02 PM
we drink sheep sperm.....is that heart?Go wash your hair with bull semen.

Hydrae
10-23-2004, 12:10 PM

Thanks.

Trent is a decent on field leader of the offensive system. But I have seen many times that while the defense is on the field, he is off by himself. I wish he would be involved with his teammates in getting them fired up for the next series.

Maybe this is the result of "profile" players. There is no Ray Lewis type to light the fire under these guys and get them to run into a hail storm of bullets if that is what it takes. Heck, is there anyone on the team that, during a defensive stand at home late in the game, that will try to get the crowd pumped to help out? Is there anyone waving a towel or throwing their arms up in the air to encourage the crowd to get louder? That is the kind of passion that is missing.

jspchief
10-23-2004, 12:14 PM
No..its all a direct refelection of the coach..Vermeil...I mean, how much fire and drive to be a championship team does this guy really have?? Hes like 70 now isnt he??

I know last year, even early in the season, this team believed they were a championship caliber team. They were constantly mentioning how Vermeil talked about them going to the Superbowl. Around Mid-season last year, that confidence faltered. They never really regained it. I'm not sure they're going to buy into what DV is selling this year. Even they have to realize that little was done to make this team better than it was last year, and last year they discovered they weren't good enough.

Calcountry
10-23-2004, 02:00 PM
I think it depends on what you mean by "back into this thing". Heart may have nothing to do with it, compared to timing.

Denver is 5-1 ... if they go .500 over the final 10 games - that's 10 wins.

KC is 1-4 ... they have 11 games left and if Denver wins only 5 more, KC would need to win 9 of 11 games to "tie" Denver (including a win over Denver at Arrowhead to nullify a sweep if they have identical records).

KC has a tough road in front of them if you are hoping for them to compete for the playoffs, even a wildcard.
I don't know about all that stuff, but I don't think we can beat the Atlanta Vicks this weekend.

Mr. Kotter
10-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Yes.

Now, it's up to us to BELIEVE! :thumb:

PastorMikH
10-23-2004, 03:04 PM
If they had heart, they wouldn't be 1-4 right now.