PDA

View Full Version : Carter: Larry Johnson upset over not being traded

tk13
10-20-2004, 01:25 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/9961569.htm

No trade upsets Johnson
Chiefs fail to deal frustrated tailback

By IVAN CARTER The Kansas City Star

Keenan McCardell got his wish Tuesday. Larry Johnson did not.

Despite rumors that Johnson may be headed to Tampa Bay in exchange for McCardell or to Dallas in exchange for wide receiver Antonio Bryant, Tuesday's trading deadline passed with Johnson still a member of the Chiefs.

McCardell, who threatened to hold out for the entire season if Tampa Bay didn't trade him or pay him more money, was sent to San Diego in exchange for third and sixth round draft picks while Bryant went from Dallas to Cleveland in exchange for former Kansas State receiver Quincy Morgan.

“It didn't happen the way I wanted it to happen,” said Johnson, who has been inactive for three out of five games this season, including Sunday's loss at Jacksonville. “I'm still a Kansas City Chief and I'll wait it out till it's my time to shine. But I want to make it clear to people that it's not because of me, it's because I'm not getting a chance to play. You can't do too much when you have an offensive coordinator who doesn't trust you and a head coach who never wanted you in the first place.”

Johnson, who was selected by the Chiefs with the 27th pick of the 2003 draft, has continually expressed frustration over his role with the Chiefs.

He has appeared in eight of a possible 21 games in two seasons and despite words of praise from team president/general manager Carl Peterson and head coach Dick Vermeil, Johnson remains a solid third on the depth chart behind Priest Holmes and Derrick Blaylock.

Johnson has seen some action on special teams in two games this season but does not have a carry. The result is that the Chiefs and their fans know little more about Johnson's abilities as a running back than they did the day the Chiefs drafted him as an insurance against Holmes' career-threatening hip injury.

Johnson, who earned the team's scout team player of the week award for his work as Jacksonville's Fred Taylor in practice last week, learned that he wouldn't play one hour before kickoff on Sunday.

“I have no problem with being behind Priest,” Johnson said. “It's not about me being behind Priest, it's about not getting an opportunity to be behind Priest. If you were in my situation, how would you feel? I'm sitting on the bench, not playing. … I've got people saying I'm this and I'm that and all I want to do is play. It's just not happening here.”

The Chiefs did hold trade talks involving Johnson with several teams, including Tampa Bay and Dallas, but nothing solid materialized.

It's not the first time Johnson has expressed dissatisfaction with the Chiefs. Earlier this season, Vermeil said it was time for Johnson to “take off his diaper.” Johnson responded by calling the comment “unnecessary” and saying Vermeil should have come to him directly.

Even after that, Peterson made it clear that he was not interested in swapping Johnson for the 34-year-old McCardell, and talks with the Cowboys, who badly need a talented young running back, never heated up because of concerns about Bryant's character.

So the Chiefs, who have had problems at receiver, watched as several deals went down, including one that sent Oakland's Jerry Rice to Seattle.

San Diego's decision to deal for McCardell was spurred by a knee injury suffered by second-year receiver Reche Caldwell in Sunday's loss at Atlanta.

McCardell, who was scheduled to make $2.5 million this season and $2.75 million in 2005, wanted a new deal from Tampa Bay worth around $4 million per season.

teedubya
10-20-2004, 01:28 AM
antonio bryant for LJ and a 3rd or 4th would have been a brilliant trade.

Fuk You Carl.

the Talking Can
10-20-2004, 01:52 AM
"....and a head coach who never wanted you in the first place.”

he's right about that

Redcoats58
10-20-2004, 02:02 AM
This sissy needs to keep his mouth shut. I haven't seen a positive article about Larry Johnson since he was drafted. Does he ever think the coach is going to play him if he is spouting off to the media everytime he turns around? STFU LJ :deevee:

Abba-Dabba
10-20-2004, 02:31 AM
This sissy needs to keep his mouth shut. I haven't seen a positive article about Larry Johnson since he was drafted. Does he ever think the coach is going to play him if he is spouting off to the media everytime he turns around? STFU LJ :deevee:

They aren't going to play him anyway. Atleast they didn't before he started spouting.

easymobee
10-20-2004, 02:31 AM
The words he uses in this article to describe his relationship with Vermeil and Saunders (his likely future coach if he were to stay in KC) tell me that he is gonna be gone from KC when he can be regardless .....

Should have traded him.

Assuming that Dallas was interested in LJ ... LJ for Bryant would have been great for the Chiefs.

Even Quincy Morgan would have been a good addition to the Chiefs ...BUT there is no way Cleveland is looking for another RB.

There isn't too much trade bait on KC after LJ ... obviously Tony G, Trent, and Priest (+ the O-Line core) aren't going anywhere.

easymobee
10-20-2004, 02:32 AM

To each his own, but the sig (w/ link to the mane) seems a little over with.

Abba-Dabba
10-20-2004, 02:36 AM
The words he uses in this article to describe his relationship with Vermeil and Saunders (his likely future coach if he were to stay in KC) tell me that he is gonna be gone from KC when he can be regardless .....

Should have traded him.

LJ is gone first chance he gets. No doubt about it. Another wasted draft pick.

easymobee
10-20-2004, 03:01 AM
“I'm still a Kansas City Chief and I'll wait it out till it's my time to shine."

That quote there leaves no reason to think he wants to stay in KC.

Even if Priest were to decide to vacate the job, he'd still be wanting to get away from Vermeil or Saunders.

My prediction .... He signs with the Raiders at first chance and ends up having career days vs KC on a regular basis ( think Shanahan vs Al Davis ).

DaWolf
10-20-2004, 03:07 AM
I read an article about the Bryant case saying that the Cowboys had pretended that everything was good and that fences were mended in order to keep Bryant's trade value up. That's smart.

I think the reason LJ is still here is because Carl doesn't want to admit he made a mistake, which he would be doing if he traded him away. Carl = Ego. Only way he trades LJ is if he got a first rounder in return, which isn't bloody likely. Now Carl may be right, he probably envisions Priest either getting injured or walking away after this year, and sees Johnson as the guy who is in place to take over when that happens. But it doesn't help this team's immediate future, if there even is an immediate future for this load of crap we've seen so far this year.

As far as LJ's comments, they ring true. But LJ, unless you are doing the things you need to do and go above and beyond, nobody will trust you if you're talking about them. Now I'm glad to see him win that scout player honor, that means he took the job he was given seriously and did a good job with it. But he just needs to accept his fate, shut up, and get to work, and that's the only way he ever sees the field.

Regarding Al Saunders becoming the next head coach, I will not be a happy Chiefs fan if that happens. Al is in his mid to latter 50's I think and hasn't sniffed a head coaching job since his failed San Diego stint. Now he may be a nice guy and all of that, but I don't see him as an outstanding head coach who can match wits with the best of em. To win in this league, you probably need an outstanding head coach, an outstanding personnel department, or both. I don't envision Saunders as an outstanding head coach and I don't envision our current personnel department as outstanding. So that ain't good. An Al Saunders hire, to me, would be like a Norv Turner hire. Maybe Oakland can't do any better, but this franchise sure as hell can.

Of course the likelihood is that Al will be the next head coach, so I hope I am totally wrong about all of this...

J Diddy
10-20-2004, 03:28 AM
Only way he trades LJ is if he got a first rounder in return, which isn't bloody likely.

The only time this cat was worth a first rounder was the 3 seconds it took carl to spew the nonsense out of his mouth.

1adam1238
10-20-2004, 05:07 AM
When DV retires, its time for a change all the way around....CP should be gone, as well as Saunders. I would hate to see more of this stuff, the play calling this year has been terrible. Drives a person insane. LJ has a point to some degree, I think one day he will shine........sure hope its not in our division, unless he is a chief.

Red Dawg
10-20-2004, 06:10 AM
He's to big and slow anyway. I don't want him to play. Him running the ball is like getting Bennett back all over again.

milkman
10-20-2004, 06:37 AM
Even after that, Peterson made it clear that he was not interested in swapping Johnson for the 34-year-old McCardell, and talks with the Cowboys, who badly need a talented young running back, never heated up because of concerns about Bryant's character.

Caracter issues?
What'd he do, get into a verbal battle with the HC, maybe throw a towel at him?

Oooh, he's such a bad guy.

We don't want any players on the team that might have battles with the HC.

I mean, Larry Johnson would never do or say anything to put a bad light on our beloved HC.

InChiefsHeaven
10-20-2004, 06:41 AM
I actually feel sorry for the kid. He was drafted as leverage, and there was never any intent to play the guy. I know he's a whiner, but in this case, he probably has a good reason to be whining.

This last off season, all the remarks about him in training camp were positive. I remember him actually seeming to have a better attitude, and it seemed he would be competing for and winning a Blaylock spot. For whatever reason, it didn't happen. Now we won't even trade the poor bastard. If I were him, I would'nt want anything to do with the Chiefs.

Reminds me of what the Raiders did to Marcus Allen. It will SUCK to see Johnson show up in Oakland or worse Denver and have him light up our asses for years...

Bob Dole
10-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Bob Dole can't find any reason to disagree with LJ. He's a first round pick.

Oh yeah... <b>And a giant (. x. )(. x. )(. x. )(. x. )ing crybaby.</b>

It's simply amazing that people weren't beating down the door wanting to acquire his "services."

Bob Dole
10-20-2004, 06:44 AM
This last off season, all the remarks about him in training camp were positive. I remember him actually seeming to have a better attitude, and it seemed he would be competing for and winning a Blaylock spot. For whatever reason, it didn't happen.

How about "Blaylock is a better player" as the reason?

Rukdafaidas
10-20-2004, 06:50 AM
Caracter issues?
What'd he do, get into a verbal battle with the HC, maybe throw a towel at him?

Oooh, he's such a bad guy.

We don't want any players on the team that might have battles with the HC.

I mean, Larry Johnson would never do or say anything to put a bad light on our beloved HC.
Yeah, that's the comment that got me too. Pot, meet kettle. LJ isn't exactly the poster boy for character. Lets see, since he's been in KC he's been arrested for beating up his girlfriend and has called out everyone in the organization damn near every week.

Gaz
10-20-2004, 07:14 AM
If Johnson had any brains at all, he would give a solid “no comment” when asked about it. I do not know what happened, but it seems clear to me that the Chiefs staff has no interest in giving him PT. Every time he opens his mouth, he sounds more like a malcontent.

Not helping your case, there, Larry.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure Johnson’s PR guy is getting the job done.

Hoover
10-20-2004, 07:15 AM
I feel bad for LJ.

He's a first roun pick, and he's fine with being behind Priest Holmes, but not ok with never seeing the field because he is third string.

I like guys who want to play. He had the same issues at Penn State, this should not shock anyone.

ILChief
10-20-2004, 07:20 AM
I agree with LJ. It's BS that he hasn't gotten one carry. It is nothing but Vermeil being stubborn. I think Priest and Vermeil are both done after this year barring a miraculous turnaround. I also don't think Saunders will be our next head coach. I think he had a good shot but he has been horrible this year. If this team doesn't improve, I think it's rebuilding time at One Arrowhead Drive, starting at the top and working down.

2bikemike
10-20-2004, 07:23 AM
IMHO LJ needs to stfu and put all that attitude in to proving he is worthy of being ahead of Blaylock. I think Priest needs to give the kid a little fatherly advise.

BigRedChief
10-20-2004, 07:26 AM
IMHO LJ needs to stfu and put all that attitude in to proving he is worthy of being ahead of Blaylock. I think Priest needs to give the kid a little fatherly advise.

Priest sit on the bench for years waiting his chance. Don't you think they have had lots of talls?

Priest is the "man". LJ needs to take the diapers off.

ROYC75
10-20-2004, 07:28 AM
LJ = :deevee:

Time to STFU and start working harder .

milkman
10-20-2004, 07:29 AM

You know, I'm one that doesn't think that Johnson is better than Blaylock, but I also question if Dick really has ever given Johnson a fair shot.

Dick is loyal to 'his' players.

I think that Johnson has every right to vent.

Personally I would love to hear him say that Vermeil is a dick, and that he's not talking about his first name.

htismaqe
10-20-2004, 07:30 AM
When this coaching staff, and it's stubborness is gone, Larry Johnson will still be here.

BigRedChief
10-20-2004, 07:32 AM
I agree with LJ. It's BS that he hasn't gotten one carry. It is nothing but Vermeil being stubborn. I think Priest and Vermeil are both done after this year barring a miraculous turnaround. I also don't think Saunders will be our next head coach. I think he had a good shot but he has been horrible this year. If this team doesn't improve, I think it's rebuilding time at One Arrowhead Drive, starting at the top and working down.

Bring on Pioli. his bio:
http://originwww.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=MgersExecsBio&bio=12539

Scott Pioli Vice President - Player Personnel
http://cachewww.patriots.com/imagestore/img16_000006.gif
School: Central Connecticut State
Major: Communications

Gaz
10-20-2004, 07:36 AM
We do not know why Johnson is not getting PT, but we can speculate and look at he expected result of his public displays of displeasure on the situation:

1. Johnson has committed a faux pax in private.
• If so, his is being punished and comments are not only useless, but are actually counter-productive.
Shut up, Larry.

2. Vermeil puts an inferior player on the field out of loyalty, malice, so forth.
• If so, his comments are not going to influence a crazy man and only serve to change public perception of him from mistreated victim to whining crybaby.
Shut up, Larry.

3. Johnson is not an upgrade over Blaylock.
• If so, his comments are not only unprofessional, but baseless whining, and can only diminish his value to other teams.
Shut up, Larry.

Regardless of the underlying reason, the best reaction for Johnson is to STFU.

xoxo~
Gaz
Qualified to replace Johnson’s PR agent.

gblowfish
10-20-2004, 07:36 AM
If I was LC, I'd go home and let off some steam by slapping my old lady around...oh wait...he's been there, done that. My bad.

jspchief
10-20-2004, 07:50 AM
How about "Blaylock is a better player" as the reason?If that's the case, we should have traded him.

I'm glad we passed on Bryant because of character. I'd hate to have someone with talent but bad character. I mean we're 1-4 and we suck, but damn we're a bunch of Brother Theresas.

My only problem with the whole STFU arguement is DV's diapergate comment. The head coach comes out in the national media and throws down the guantlet, then he never gives LJ a chance to pick it up. LJ has a good week of practice, and we reward him by making him inactive for the game. WTF does he have to do to get on the field? OR better yet, WTF has Blaylock shown us this year that says it's not worth the risk to give LJ some carries. He's been solid against worn down Ds, but done nothing spectacular.

I've been saying this for a while now. We've already ruined the LJ experiment. He won't ever be a solid contributor to this team. He's justified for it too. Maybe if we were to start giving him Blaylock's carries this year, it could still be salvaged.

Hoover
10-20-2004, 07:53 AM
If Blaylock is so effin good, why did we sign him to a one year Tender?

Wile_E_Coyote
10-20-2004, 07:54 AM
GiveLJmopupdutyifyoucanevergetadecentleadinagame.com

Bob Dole
10-20-2004, 07:55 AM
If that's the case, we should have traded him.

What makes you think anyone wants him?

Whatever the reality, he certainly gives the impression of being a malcontent and a potential locker room cancer. Add to that the fact that he hasn't done shit since he's been drafted and the impression that there must be some sort of problem or he'd be playing.

He has zero trade value.

Ralphy Boy
10-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Yesterday in his press conference when asked why they didn't bring in free agents DV said
"Why not sign Eric Hicks over somebody else who might be as good as Eric Hicks or might be better but not may not fit in, that may not have the character level, may not fit the profile of the kind of person we want in this room, may not be able to handle a 1-4 record? Why not sign Eric Hicks?"

Does any of it have anything to do with Larry Johnson, Eddie Kennison or Antonio Bryant? IMO it has everything to do with them. EK was considered scum by Denver and DV welcomed him with open arms here, AFTER getting rid of him in St Louis, only because the offense needed some talent to provide immediate help.

Somewhat of a double standard here and I really do feel bad for Little Larry Cool Johnson - sorry I just want to give him the nickname LL Cool J - because as others have said he didn't ask to be in the middle of a tug of war between a GM and his head coach.

Either way if Antonio Bryant isn't worth more than 2 5th rounders to us after we wasted a first rounder on a RB who isn't seeing the field for no reason, then we are without a doubt the most pathetic team in the league.

jspchief
10-20-2004, 08:03 AM
What makes you think anyone wants him?

Whatever the reality, he certainly gives the impression of being a malcontent and a potential locker room cancer. Add to that the fact that he hasn't done shit since he's been drafted and the impression that there must be some sort of problem or he'd be playing.

He has zero trade value.

It sounds like Dallas wanted him. Talks broke down because of Bryant's character though.

At this point, he has good reason to be a malcontent. He's only dressed for 8 games in two years. If it's really because he sucks that bad, what are we saving him for?

Skip Towne
10-20-2004, 08:16 AM
This entire situation is very fishy. Why won't DV give the guy PT? We don't know if we have Marcus Allen or Mike Cloud. I do know that if I were among the best at my profession and my employer treated me like a mail boy, I would be pissed. The guy ought to be given a chance.

wolfpack0735
10-20-2004, 08:17 AM
he hasnt done anything. 1 pick or not,thanks queen carl. he`s just a big whiner. let him earn his keep, be a towel boy. at least the chiefs would get something for what they are paying him. ROFL

LamarR Huunt
10-20-2004, 08:22 AM
LJ can suck my wrinkly....what is it that Iowanian says? "baows"?

Abba-Dabba
10-20-2004, 08:26 AM
If that's the case, we should have traded him.

To add even more to that. WTF did we even spend 1st round pick on him if Blaylock was 'better'.

From the get go I was against drafting LJ. But more and more I see myself coming to his side. It's quite apparent to me that Vermeil is looking more like a stubborn, crotchety, vindictive old fart that can't let bygones be bygones. Sure LJ has made some mistakes with the press, so has Vermeil. I would hope these 2 adults will find the time to get over their differences, but for some reason I think Vermeil won't be able to do that.

milkman
10-20-2004, 08:29 AM
At this, point reassons aside, character issues aside the bottom line is that Johnson isn't adding anything to the Chiefs.
He isn't helping this team in any way.

Bryant could have come in and contributed immediately, and for several years.

To casually dismiss the possibility of this deal is just one more reason, among many, that Carl sucks.

2bikemike
10-20-2004, 08:38 AM
At this, point reassons aside, character issues aside the bottom line is that Johnson isn't adding anything to the Chiefs.
He isn't helping this team in any way.

Bryant could have come in and contributed immediately, and for several years.

To casually dismiss the possibility of this deal is just one more reason, among many, that Carl sucks.

NO reciever is going to come in here and contribute immediately unless they know the system.

I understand the frustration I am frustrated but a bunch of knee jerk reactions are liable to make things worse. I will trust letting the professionals handle the decision making. If this BB handled them we would be in cap hell and have a locker room full of malcontents.

milkman
10-20-2004, 08:49 AM
NO reciever is going to come in here and contribute immediately unless they know the system.

I understand the frustration I am frustrated but a bunch of knee jerk reactions are liable to make things worse. I will trust letting the professionals handle the decision making. If this BB handled them we would be in cap hell and have a locker room full of malcontents.

Even given the fact he doesn't know system, he could learn enough plays in a short time to contribute more to this O than Dante does in 3rd down situatuions.

Dante is (was?) a great returner, and has made a couple of spetacular plays as a receiver, but he doesn't make enough plays to warrant being the 3rd receiver, especially on 3rd down.

And trading one malcontent for another isn't filling the locker room with malcontents.

And maybe a change of scenery, or HCs, transforms a player's attitude.

jspchief
10-20-2004, 09:00 AM

Contribute how much? Not at all? Because even if he doesn't get in a single game, he'll still be contributing as much as LJ is right now.

Rain Man
10-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Wow. I had no idea that LJ was unhappy.

(There are some jokes that I just never get tired of.)

BIG_DADDY
10-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Can't blame the kid for wanting to play.

LamarR Huunt
10-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Can't blame the kid for wanting to play.

Wanting to play is fine; whining and sniveling to the media is another.

Iowanian
10-20-2004, 09:13 AM
I've been in the line of thinking that Johnson is just being a sniveling biatch..........but you know what.............all he's ever said(asside from bitching about not playing) is that he WANTS a Chance to PLAY.

The coaches saying he sucks and not dressing him, sure doesn't give them any leverage in trading him.

Like I said in another thread..............Dress him, play the hell out of him(unless he's one of the guys who stunk up the ST tacklin') and find a spot to give him the carries in the 4th...............when the Chiefs are winning big, or when INDY is up by 31.

I think Blaylock is a better "SPOT" back........but Johnson would be a much, much better 25carry back.

I'm starting to think Vermeil is being the prick here........

He stays by guys who aren't that good because he likes them.......and doesn't seem to pay guys he doesn't like.

How about looking for a new character "profile".........Dog Mean, WINNERS. "Nice guys" aren't friggin getting it done.

2bikemike
10-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Contribute how much? Not at all? Because even if he doesn't get in a single game, he'll still be contributing as much as LJ is right now.

Milkman said Bryant could have came in and contributed immediately and I stated that I didn't thing any reciever could do that.

I would like to have seen something done with LJ so the kid can get a chance to do what he wants to do. IMHO he has probably not done enough to beat out Blaylock. Maybe he can't grasp his blocking assignments I don't know I am not a coach and I don't see what goes on at practice/training camp.

Yes he is being wasted on the bench and we do have some needs that should be addressed. But I have yet to see any player that I would like to see in Red that has been available. And if somebody wanted LJ bad enough they would have more than likely consumated a deal for him. Maybe our asking price is too high I don't know and neither does anybody else on here or in the media.

2bikemike
10-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Like I said in another thread..............Dress him, play the hell out of him(unless he's one of the guys who stunk up the ST tacklin') and find a spot to give him the carries in the 4th...............when the Chiefs are winning big, or when INDY is up by 31.

I think Blaylock is a better "SPOT" back........but Johnson would be a much, much better 25carry back.

At this rate that will not be happening anytime soon.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-20-2004, 09:21 AM
I'm starting to think Vermeil is being the prick here........

He stays by guys who aren't that good because he likes them.......and doesn't seem to pay guys he doesn't like.

How about looking for a new character "profile".........Dog Mean, WINNERS. "Nice guys" aren't friggin getting it done.
another best post ever.

Bowser
10-20-2004, 09:22 AM
This is what I want to know - Out of all 1st round picks in 2003, how many have only dressed for 8 of a possible 21 games, barring injury?

Iowanian
10-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Nice guys who lose..................Suk baows.

LamarR Huunt
10-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Nice guys who lose..................Suk baows.

I LIKE this Iowanian guy.

ChiefFripp
10-20-2004, 09:45 AM
Just get him off the team. If he's good then he deserves to play and it will stop all this BS we have to hear all the time. By the time Priest hangs 'em up we will have found somebody to help fill the void, so we don't need him anymore.
And if he ends up staying he's not going to put his heart into a team he feels doesn't believe in him anyways. It's a favor to boths sides to part ways.

jspchief
10-20-2004, 09:59 AM
This is what I want to know - Out of all 1st round picks in 2003, how many have only dressed for 8 of a possible 21 games, barring injury?
Ask and you shall receive...

Carson Palmer: 5
Charles Rogers: 6 (injuries)
*Andre Johnson: 22
Dewayne Robertson: 21
Terence Newman: 21
Johnathan Sullivan: 20
*Byron Leftwich: 21
Jordan Gross: 21
Kevin Williams: 21
Terrell Suggs: 21
Marcus Trufant: 21
Jimmy Kennedy: 13
Ty Warren: 21
Michael Haynes: 21
Jerome McDougle: 13
Troy Polamalu: 22
Bryant Johnson: 20
Calvin Pace: 21
*Kyle Boller: 16
George Foster: 7
Jeff Faine: 15
Rex Grossman: 6 (injury)
Willis McGahee: 5 (injury)
Dallas Clark: 15
William Joseph: 19
Kwame Harris: 18
Larry Johnson: 8
Andre Woolfolk: 12
Nick Barnett: 21
Sammy Davis: 22
Nnamdi Asomugha: 21
Tyler Brayton: 22

Five players have played in less games than LJ. Of those five, four have started every game this year (or would have barring injury), the exception being Willis Mcgahee, who sat out all of last year rehabing a knee. I put asterisks next to some of the players that we have faced this year.

Sure-Oz
10-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Maybe if they played him that might help his trade value, hmm wait that would make sense??? so that won't happen!

Bowser
10-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Nice work, jspchief! Enjoy the rep!

So it looks like Carson Palmer and George Foster were the only two to be less useful to their respective teams. And in Palmer's case, I think we would all agree he was not going to see much of the field last year (and probablly shouldn't THIS year either, but that is a different story!). I wonder if Foster is sitting in Denver right, now wondering out loud why the head coach drafted him in the first place..........

Iowanian
10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
jsp...........is that list for "dressed" or games played?

palmer dressed all last year, but sat behind Kitna....didn't he?

Bob Dole
10-20-2004, 10:18 AM
I've been in the line of thinking that Johnson is just being a sniveling biatch..........but you know what.............all he's ever said(asside from bitching about not playing) is that he WANTS a Chance to PLAY.

Isn't that one of the reasons for training camp? Aren't players supposed to <b>earn</b> the chance to play?

Bob Dole is content believing that he didn't earn it, or we'd be seeing him dress.

jspchief
10-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Nice work, jspchief! Enjoy the rep!

So it looks like Carson Palmer and George Foster were the only two to be less useful to their respective teams. And in Palmer's case, I think we would all agree he was not going to see much of the field last year (and probablly shouldn't THIS year either, but that is a different story!). I wonder if Foster is sitting in Denver right, now wondering out loud why the head coach drafted him in the first place..........

The thing is, while both sat out their entire rookie year, they both have started every game this year.

Brock
10-20-2004, 10:19 AM
“I'm still a Kansas City Chief and I'll wait it out till it's my time to shine."

Thank you, dipshit. It's about time you started to get the picture.

LamarR Huunt
10-20-2004, 10:21 AM

Got that right.

jspchief
10-20-2004, 10:27 AM
jsp...........is that list for "dressed" or games played?

palmer dressed all last year, but sat behind Kitna....didn't he?

Good question...that I don't have the answer to. I got the info from the enigma that is NFL.com. They list it only as "G" which I assume stands for "games". I went with the "G" instead of the "GS" thinking it might include dressed but didn't play. I can't say for certain if LJ has got on the field for every game he has dressed for, so it's hard to determine. I do Know that Palmer was inactive for at least one game last year, and maybe more.

htismaqe
10-20-2004, 10:36 AM

That's all he's ever said. Yet, he's a "whiner" and a "dipshit".

The problem isn't Larry Johnson.

The problem is a 70-year-old coach whose emotional makeup is more akin to a teenage drama queen.

jspchief
10-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Isn't that one of the reasons for training camp? Aren't players supposed to earn the chance to play?

Bob Dole is content believing that he didn't earn it, or we'd be seeing him dress.

Does Bob Dole ever entertain the thought that the coaches sometimes miss things? Considering how long it took Holmes and Green to "earn" their chance to play, is it that far-fetched to say that LJ deserves a shot based purely on his potential?

How many first rounders get the start in the first game of their pro career without earning it? And we're not even talking about a start, just a few carries to spell Holmes. If he hasn't shown enough to earn that much after 21 games, he's moving fast up the list of biggest first round busts ever.

Brock
10-20-2004, 10:39 AM
That's all he's ever said. Yet, he's a "whiner" and a "dipshit".

The problem isn't Larry Johnson.

The problem is a 70-year-old coach whose emotional makeup is more akin to a teenage drama queen.

Can't say I agree with that at all.

Chiefnj
10-20-2004, 10:44 AM
It doesn't matter if Johnson is a man-child or if Vermeil is a crotchety cantankerous coach. The end result is a first round pick who hasn't played or produced and who is not likely to play or produce. There's a name for teams who don't get any production out of their first round picks - they are called Bengals.

Brock
10-20-2004, 10:45 AM
It doesn't matter if Johnson is a man-child or if Vermeil is a crotchety cantankerous coach. The end result is a first round pick who hasn't played or produced and who is not likely to play or produce. There's a name for teams who don't get any production out of their first round picks - they are called Bengals.

I agree. Let's bench the best RB in the NFL so Larry will stop complaining.

Skip Towne
I don't think any of us know for sure what the problem is. But it is obvious that DV could defuse this whole thing by giving LJ some carries. Yet he refuses to do so.

htismaqe

Vermeil bawls his eyes out when he's happy.

He bawls his eyes out when his "friends" quit or get fired.

And then he pouts.

Kinda like my 3-year-old.

Vermeil has shown OVER and OVER again during his tenure here that he's incapable of casting aside his personal feelings and biases and do things that are in the best interest of the team.

I have no reason to believe that the situation with Larry Johnson is any different -- Vermeil didn't want him, and already had Derrick Blaylock.

Think about it -- Vermeil made Dante Hall into a star. What would he get if he made the next Priest Holmes out of an under-sized speedster from Stephen F. Nowhere?

htismaqe
10-20-2004, 10:47 AM

Who is suggesting benching Priest? I haven't seen that one suggested yet, so I'm wondering where you are getting it...

bricks
10-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Let's start off from the beginning and put all this in easier terms. First off, Carl Peterson is an idiot for drafting him. You just don't waste your first round picks to be backup RB's and say you did it as an insurance policy. That's what 3rd and 4th round picks are for not 1st.

Secondly, I blame Vermeil and Saunders. Yes I do. LJ knows his role, he is not gonna start, fine. At least, give him some reps. No excuses.
I'm tired of hearing Vermeil's excuse, he can't block, he's not mature enough. Fuk off, and play the guy to at least see what you got. What kills me even more is DV and AL say any RB can run for a 1,000 yards in their system, and behind that great O-line. So what's the problem in not playing LJ? Major contradictory there. I'm tired of all this crap, and I don't blame LJ for wanting out.

IMO, DV, AL, and CP=No Balls, arrogant, egotistical, and dumb

*P.S. I hope LJ gets outta KC and becomes a star somewhere else.

Chiefnj
10-20-2004, 10:53 AM

It's not about Larry "complaining" it's about a wasted draft pick. I know Titus will grin about the Lexicon being used, but in this case it's a fact. You use a first round pick, that you proclaimed was the best value at #15 or #16, and he can't crack being the second string player means the team has some serious problems. Either the talent evaluation sucks, player development sucks or the kid has some talent and is wasting away anyway. In any case it doesn't help the team make the postseason.

jspchief
10-20-2004, 10:54 AM

Yea. Either that or we can totally misinterpret this thread and make ridiculous conclusions from it.STFU

KC Kings
10-20-2004, 10:59 AM
I would like to point out that Larry Johnson was in this crappy situation for a long time, and kept his mouth shut, (from the public at least), until Dick Vermeil publicly humiliated him. If your boss came after you like that and you were in a situation where you couldn't quit, would you keep your mouth shut and say "no comment"?

I hope all of this fuels a fire in LJ, the same way playing second fiddle did to Priest. LJ will still be here after Priest, Vermeil, and possibly Saunders are gone,,, and he will get his chance to get on the field and prove who was right.

ILChief
10-20-2004, 11:03 AM
how about some sets with Priest and LJ in the game at the same time? St Louis has been doing this w/ Faulk and Stephen Jackson. Shouldn't be too hard for our "genius" offensive coordinator.

Mr. Laz
10-20-2004, 11:07 AM
i don't really blame Larry Johnson for being pissed off

Even He knows that the Chiefs picking him in the 1st round was a stupid fvcking pick.

Larry knows it, Vermeil knows it ... anybody not in full chiefs PR spin mode knows it.

you DON'T use your first round pick as a "leverage pick" maybe a 3rd round pick, but not a first rounder.

the only problem i have with Larry Johnson is the fact that he takes it to the media. But then again, Vermeil took it to the media too, so it looks like both Vermeil and Johnson are being petty and childish.

another example of Carl Peterson ineptitude when it comes to player personnel decisions.

htismaqe
10-20-2004, 11:40 AM
i don't really blame Larry Johnson for being pissed off

Even He knows that the Chiefs picking him in the 1st round was a stupid fvcking pick.

Larry knows it, Vermeil knows it ... anybody not in full chiefs PR spin mode knows it.

you DON'T use your first round pick as a "leverage pick" maybe a 3rd round pick, but not a first rounder.

the only problem i have with Larry Johnson is the fact that he takes it to the media. But then again, Vermeil took it to the media too, so it looks like both Vermeil and Johnson are being petty and childish.

another example of Carl Peterson ineptitude when it comes to player personnel decisions.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brock
10-20-2004, 11:42 AM

Did we really need another one? :deevee:

Wile_E_Coyote
10-20-2004, 12:15 PM
If LJ just wants to play & needs a chance to show what he can do, send him to NFLE. Of course that's a lot of $$ that could receive a serious/career ending injury

edit: made a team roster, I think that eliminates that idea...oh well

the Talking Can
10-20-2004, 12:18 PM
CP should be fired for screwing this pick up so bad...I was happy to have LJ, but this just farce now

Straight, No Chaser
10-20-2004, 12:21 PM
If/When the Chiefs start playing for pride (or a draft pick) it will be very interesting to see how the LJ issue is handled.

Priest shouldn't be attempting to break any records if playoff chances are zero. If he plans on playing next year it's too risky to use him like they are now.
LJ could get some playing time just to shut him up, see if he can run the damn ball like he thinks he can or, to demonstrate his talent as "trade bait".

---->

BigRedChief
10-20-2004, 12:22 PM
Did we really need another one? :deevee:

You ain't just a whistling dixie. Jeezzz we don't need any more examples King Carl :banghead:...put down the GM pen and step away from the desk..

Bob Dole
10-20-2004, 01:06 PM
This thread makes Dick want to cry.

philfree
10-20-2004, 01:43 PM
LJ got beat out by Blaylock and that's the fact. He had his chance in the preseason but right when he was gonna get his snaps he got a injury to his back/rib or what ever it was. I think DV thought it wasn't bad enough to sit out but LJ did and that's why he's 3rd string and not 2nd. I'm I the only one saw that?

PhilFree :arrow:

tk13
10-20-2004, 02:54 PM
I sat here all preseason saying that LJ should be the #2 guy to get opportunities behind Priest should Priest get injured, and there were very few people that agreed with me and most said Blaylock deserves to be the #2 back full-time because he's better, and LJ doesn't deserve squat. I remember David. got roasted pretty good over it. Now a few weeks later we've got an entire thread full of people bashing Dick Vermeil because he won't play Larry Johnson... I think the biggest drama queens are usually the posters here. :)

David.
10-20-2004, 03:24 PM
I sat here all preseason saying that LJ should be the #2 guy to get opportunities behind Priest should Priest get injured, and there were very few people that agreed with me and most said Blaylock deserves to be the #2 back full-time because he's better, and LJ doesn't deserve squat. I remember David. got roasted pretty good over it. Now a few weeks later we've got an entire thread full of people bashing Dick Vermeil because he won't play Larry Johnson... I think the biggest drama queens are usually the posters here. :)

I was just reading some archives and I've come to realize that many CP'ers change their mind SOOO quickly. I think once LJ gets to play and has a good game, he will be proclaimed a god. It seems to happen with everyone else. "TrINT" was bashed HARD, now he can do no wrong. Most hated the Priest move, and wanted garner. Look how that turned out. I say give it time and we will ALL be on the LJ bandwagon(If he's still a chief :eek: ).