PDA

View Full Version : The Dick Vermeil Show

KingPriest2
10-20-2004, 09:46 PM
The Dick Vermeil Show
Oct 19, 2004, 8:42:27 AM

KCFX-FM

Show Highlights
DICK VERMEIL: “The game should never have come down (to the final drive by (Jacksonville) if we take advantage of our opportunities. We didn’t and they did. They win.”

BOB GRETZ: Such a gritty, gutty drive down the field with the touchdown from Trent Green to Priest Holmes. It was not the play that decided the game but it certainly was a turn in the road when you missed the PAT (point after touchdown). As you look at it today was there any explanation for it?

VERMEIL: “No, it was a miss. He didn’t get set up properly and he just missed it. It’s the only miss in the National Football League this year. I’ve seen it before. I’ve seen one since I’ve been here. You take those for granted. I think that affected him when he went to kick the field goal. As it turned out, those points weren’t the deciding points.”

GRETZ: When you say the set-up, it was something obvious you can go back to him and say this is the difference?

VERMEIL: “Normally a kicker can tell you. He went beyond the ball with his plant foot. He got further into the ball with his plant foot, so he hit down on the ball and all the other things that happen when you do that. You’re not coming through at the end properly. Just like a golf swing. I just hope that he can quickly recover from it. I know the players respect him and will rally around him. But he still has to do it.”

MITCH HOLTHUS: I was impressed the way he stood up in front of the media after the game. Considering Jacksonville’s inability to get pressure in the first five games, how surprised were you at their ability to get a pass rush on Trent Green in this game?

VERMEIL: “I was disappointed they could get it as much. Some of it is a little misleading: the six sacks, that is. Two of the sacks are really on the quarterback trying to make a play after the protection was very good. He had all kinds of time down there (in the first quarter) in the Red Zone. They took the pattern away and he tried to throw it and took a sack in that situation. He took another sack in a situation when he held on to the ball waiting for things to happen. It was a coverage sack. Then, one time, we had an offensive lineman fall down. Then we got beat for three sacks – beat physically one-on-one.”

HOLTHUS: There were times you had five man protection, which you always do a lot of times, or you were empty (only the QB) in the backfield. When you look at the five man protection or the empty backfield….

VERMEIL: “For the most part, I think we held up really good inside. Brian Waters played outstanding on his great big guy and Will Shield did for the most part. They’re big guys and (Will’s) guy is an all-pro and played with him in the Pro Bowl (2003). He got one on Will.

“The other thing that happens once in a while is when guys are that big and that tall and get up in the front of the quarterback – for example on the touchdown pass we missed Eddie Kennison on in the endzone – it was caused because the great big guy got in there and is so tall that Trent tried to throw it over the top of him and, therefore, threw it a foot over the receiver. If it had been a clean throw he might have had a touchdown.”

HOLTHUS: It appears like this defense is getting closer and closer. Nevertheless, third down ends up still being a bugaboo. You’re first in the NFL in third-and-less-than-four, but in more than four (yards) you’re last.

VERMEIL: “We’re not doing a good job there. It’s been a problem and we knew where we were. We were doing a great job of forcing it in third-and-six and less, but not on third-and-seven. Maybe it means we didn’t work enough on it in training camp. We aren’t real good on offense doing the same thing. Our numbers are distorted. We’re 100% on third-and-one and two. It’s those other situations. But we did a good job in the second half in converting third downs. We did not do it, for different reasons, in the first half.”

On coaching errors & not blitzing enough in Jacksonville’s final series:

VERMEIL: “You’re partially right, but we had four down linemen in the ballgame and only had three down linemen in a change-up scheme. So as astute a fan as you are – I know they don’t run replays on every snap so you can see how many defensive linemen are in there – you might have missed the number of defensive linemen that were in there and there were as many as four. The blitzing hurt us for a while.

“Whenever you lose four out of five games coaches deserve some criticism, especially from loyal fans.”

HOLTHUS: Let me jump in here: on the (final Jacksonville) touchdown it was an all-out blitz. Everybody was coming. It was a sell-out blitz.”

On the offense not getting it done:

VERMEIL: “The percentage of conversion on the offense after five games is better than it was last year. Our time of possession is better than it was last year. Our total yards- gained is better than it was last year. Our average per game is better than it was last year. Our net yards passing is better than it was last year. Our percent complete is better than it was last year. Our interceptions thrown are fewer than last year. We have one fumble lost in four fumbles. We’re minus two offensive touchdowns right now from what we were last year.

“We’re not getting that one big play that we got last year and we’re plus two on defensive touchdowns surrendered. We’re minus six in four kick returns for touchdowns from last year and two interception returns for touchdowns. We’re playing a tougher schedule. That is the big difference.

“But we’re just not making the play at the critical time and then at critical times our best play has been called back. We haven’t improved enough to take advantage of playing better teams.

“We had the ball 19:12 in the second half and really dominated the game then. We had every opportunity to win it. I think our players appeared to be fresh. I didn’t feel they played tired, or looked tired. I know they felt good going in.

“But we are not taking advantage of opportunities to win and we had some opportunities to put that ballgame away with three minutes to go and we go three plays and miss a field goal. Then we miss a first down by two feet. We’ve got to do a better job within that four minute situation and we’ve got to do a better job of coaching our own two-minute offense and defending the opponent’s two minute offense and its third down offense.”

On Atlanta’s defense, the second-best statistically the Chiefs have faced:

VERMEIL: “Number one against the run. It all depends on the schedule, how many winning teams they’ve played. They’re playing very good. In fact, I just had the opportunity to watch the first half of their game last week against San Diego. San Diego did a good job, but they had poor field position in the first half.”

On Tony Gonzalez getting flagged again for an illegal motion:

VERMEIL: “They’re trying to discipline the people who go in motion to keep them moving parallel and not moving forward. It’s been going on for years as players round it out. Tony was called on that. I can show you an example in the same game of their big tight end moving and gaining a full yard towards the line of scrimmage and not being called. You can’t really see it on game tape.”

GRETZ: You had another big play hurt by another penalty.

VERMEIL: “It was a holding penalty. They called holding. I’m not going to get into it. From what my son said from watching it on television and what the announcers said, well….. We had five penalties and you can live with five penalties a game. But right now we’re running through a streak where our best play is penalized. Priest would have been over 100 yards again and had a very fine average per carry if he doesn’t get hurt.”

HOLTHUS: The false start penalties on Brian Waters and another on Welbourn. They seem to happen at the critical time.

VERMEIL: “We’ve had that problem. You notice where you are on the field? Down in the endzone. That’s where the crowd noise is the loudest and you hear things. It makes it tougher on the offensive line.”

On going for the field goal instead of trying for the first down:

VERMEIL: “If we had made the extra point then there’s a decision to make. Then they have to kick a field goal to tie. You might take the chance at that time. At least you discuss it.”

On not getting big returns on special teams:

VERMEIL: “The (opposing) punter and kicker are doing a great job of defensing our great returner without the coverage. They’re punting the ball in corners and areas and hanging it up in the air where it really makes it tough to get the return. We were back inside the 10-yard line fielding the ball and normally you don’t field it back there. He had to let a couple of drop to see if it would get in the endzone. That’s the biggest problem. It hasn’t been the fact that Dante (Hall) isn’t effective, it’s he’s not being given the opportunity so far by the punter and the placekickers we faced.”

GRETZ: But you coverage units took a big step forward yesterday.

VERMEIL: “I was very pleased. I’m just disappointed there was such a contrast because for the most part it was the same people doing it as last week. The big difference was the kickoff was much better and the punt was much better. Our punter got the ball up in the air. Tynes did a much better job of kicking off than he did a week ago. Therefore, he gave the coverage people an opportunity to cover. The other thing is they were more violent. They were embarrassed by how we covered kickoffs and punts in the Ravens game.”

On playing for next year:

VERMEIL: “What I’m thinking about is next week. We know what our goals and ambitions are and we know what our in-season objectives are. Like anybody, you’ve got to have a plan and you have to have a vision of what you want to do. But our concentration has really been on the opponent each week. We call him a target. All our focus is on winning one football game. We’ve got to win one. We have two games in a row at home and we’ve got to win this first one.”