PDA

View Full Version : The Rolling Stones or The Beatles?

Jenson71
10-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Two of the best bands in music history...

Which one you like better? And what songs from either side give them the edge?

Jenson71
10-21-2004, 06:14 PM
I voted Rolling Stones...

Songs that give them the edge:

Let's Spend the Night Together
Sympathy for the Devil
You Can't Always Get What You Want

|Zach|
10-21-2004, 06:15 PM
No competition....seriously none.

Marha my dear you have always been my inspiration...

Frazod
10-21-2004, 06:16 PM
I've never understood the Beatles' popularity, especially after they degenerated into drugged out freaks.

Stones all the way.

|Zach|
10-21-2004, 06:19 PM
I've never understood the Beatles' popularity, especially after they degenerated into drugged out freaks.

Stones all the way.
ROFL

I would think someone who supports the Stones in this would use another platform than drugs

Jenson71
10-21-2004, 06:21 PM
This is tough, though. It is a good competition, you can make a good case for either band.

Okay, who for the love of God, voted for the last option?

Skip Towne
10-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Beatles. Especially the early tunes.

ZepSinger
10-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Beatles.
Hit after hit after hit; and they'll be played every hour somewhere in the world for the rest of time.

Fav tunes-

In My Life
For No One
Blackbird
Norwiegan Wood
Hey Jude
Hello Goodbye

Z

David.
10-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Beatles

memyselfI
10-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Zeppelin.

FloridaChief
10-21-2004, 06:35 PM
She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
I Saw Her Standing There
Hide Your Love Away
I Feel Fine
She's A Woman
Ticket To Ride
The Night Before
Norwegian Wood
And Your Bird Can Sing
Tomorrow Never Knows
Elanor Rigby
I'm Only Sleeping
Here, There and Everywhere
She Said, She Said...

And so on. No question.

The Stones obviously did great things, but the Beatles were one of a kind.

MichaelH
10-21-2004, 06:35 PM
The Beatles! Their influence touches almost everyone and their songs sound as good today as 35 years ago. Plus, each member has had success as solo artists. That's something the Stones can't say.
I can't choose a favorite song from their huge musical catalog, I like every one.

Ultra Peanut
10-21-2004, 06:37 PM
I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!!!!!!!!!!

Beatles.

Jenson71
10-21-2004, 06:47 PM
IMO, the biggest competition from the Beatles is from Yesterday, Hey Jude, and Let it Be...

But those three Stones songs previously mentioned by myself are really only behind Dylan...and some Who and Layla, maybe.

Especially Let's Spend the Night Together.

CosmicPal
10-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Why isn't Devo an option?

Huh?

I'm sick of this BS, man! Devo doesn't get any respect! None! It's always The Beatles or The Rolling Stones!

:D

I like 'em both, but you almost have to go with The Beatles because they simply were an enigmatic group that influenced more people than anyone.

Skip Towne
10-21-2004, 06:55 PM
IMO, the biggest competition from the Beatles is from Yesterday, Hey Jude, and Let it Be...

But those three Stones songs previously mentioned by myself are really only behind Dylan...and some Who and Layla, maybe.

Especially Let's Spend the Night Together.
High school kids aren't qualified to rate geezer music.

roman gnome
10-21-2004, 06:56 PM
"Okay, who for the love of God, voted for the last option?"

Me...didn`t care for them..have to go with Pink Floyd.

4th and Long
10-21-2004, 07:21 PM
"On behalf of the group and myself, I'd like to thank everyone for coming and I hope we passed the audition."
http://www.johnlennon.it/beatles%20pics/fab-four.jpg

stevieray
10-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Beatles, hands down.

David.
10-21-2004, 07:45 PM
"Okay, who for the love of God, voted for the last option?"

Me...didn`t care for them..have to go with Pink Floyd.

there's no denying Pink Floyd isn't great. But to deny the fact that the beatles and stones rawked is silly.

Brock
10-21-2004, 07:47 PM
The Stones might have had a chance if they had stopped when they were still good.

4th and Long
10-21-2004, 07:51 PM
The Stones might have had a chance if they had stopped when they were still good.
The word stop is not in Stones vocabulary.

"Hey Keith, you really need to stop drinking."
"Hey Mick, stop taking off your shirt, you wrinkly old fvck."
"Hey Keith, stop with the drugs already."

Nzoner
10-21-2004, 07:51 PM
I'll go with The Beatles.

Songs giving them the edge are a matter of opinion just like this poll but a few of my favs include Paperback Writer,Across The Universe,Revolution, The Long & Winding Road,Helter Skelter,Come Together,I Am The Walrus and Yesterday.

Other than the songs when comparing the bands I think a few other things are worthy of consideration

1.Time together as a band and what was accomplished
2.Solo Careers
3.Movies

Again,just my opinion but I don't see it even being close and yes I like The Stones

Miles
10-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Floyd is better than both of em but Id easily go with the Stones over the Beatles.

Logical
10-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Beatles forever

Logical
10-21-2004, 08:03 PM

Stones all the way.

I believe you can find this as one of the defintions of ironic in the dictionary.ROFL

KcMizzou
10-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Yeah... Beatles easily. No contest...

ChiefFripp
10-21-2004, 08:30 PM
The Beatles. I love The Stones but The Beatles just simply have more cohesive albums and alot more songs I like. Gimme Shelter and the album Sticky Fingers alone made this a tough choice though.

Skip Towne
10-21-2004, 08:33 PM
I believe you can find this as one of the defintions of ironic in the dictionary.ROFL
You have to excuse Frazod for not appreciating good music. One of his uncles put him in a doghouse for much of the 70's.

Rain Man
10-21-2004, 08:40 PM
The Beatles, easily. They've got an incredible range of songs from ballads to pure rock, and did all of them quite well. Further, some of their songs are really quite complex. They did some pretty cutting-edge stuff for their time.

Skip Towne
10-21-2004, 08:50 PM
The Beatles, easily. They've got an incredible range of songs from ballads to pure rock, and did all of them quite well. Further, some of their songs are really quite complex. They did some pretty cutting-edge stuff for their time.
Rep to you for such an insightful post. I remember in'64, when the Beatles showed up, they were mainly rock. But they soon showed their versatility. They even used the harpsichord, my favorite instrument. No way can the Stones compare to them.

stevieray
10-21-2004, 09:01 PM
not many can use the line 'we all live in a yellow submarine' and make it work, let alone cool.

Inspector
10-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Gotta go with the Beatles.

I remember watching them live on Ed Sullivan. Now, THAT was a great shew...I mean show.

Rain Man
10-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Rep to you for such an insightful post. I remember in'64, when the Beatles showed up, they were mainly rock. But they soon showed their versatility. They even used the harpsichord, my favorite instrument. No way can the Stones compare to them.

It's hard for me to pick my favorite Beatles song, because they did such a diverse range of music that it's hard to compare between songs. I must say, though, that Norwegian Wood has always been one of my favorites because of that instrument. I think it's a sitar, right? Or is it a harpsichord?

I'm not a Beatles expert by any means, but some of the songs that I particularly like are Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Twist and Shout, Michelle, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Across the Universe (very underrated), and of course Hey Jude and Yesterday. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Abba-Dabba
10-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Beatles

KCJohnny
10-21-2004, 09:15 PM
No comparison. The Rolling Stones' first hit single in England was a cover version of the Beatles' "I Wanna Be Your Man". The Beatles sang of love; the Stones of lust; the Beatles followed Brian Wilson's lead in production and offered SGT Pepper; the Stones suffered casualties at Altamont. The Beatles' chords, arrangements and musical depth far exceeds the simple rock'n'roll and blues patters of the Stones. George Martin's influence catipulted the Beatles well above the Stones and Andrew Loog Oldham.

Finally, the Beatles will be remebered for love, energy, creativity and transparency; the Stones for skepticism, scoffing, anger and criticism.

patteeu
10-21-2004, 09:38 PM
I voted Beatles because of the variety and because they broke up before they became irrelevant. My favorite Beatles song is Hey Jude. My favorite Stones song is Sympathy for the Devil. Ironically, I like Sympathy for the Devil better than Hey Jude.

Deberg_1990
10-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Why isn't Devo an option?

Huh?

I'm sick of this BS, man! Devo doesn't get any respect! None! It's always The Beatles or The Rolling Stones!

:D

I like 'em both, but you almost have to go with The Beatles because they simply were an enigmatic group that influenced more people than anyone.

Seriously......how come no one ever compares like...Beatles Vs. Backstreet Boys??

patteeu
10-21-2004, 09:41 PM
I voted Beatles because of the variety and because they broke up before they became irrelevant. My favorite Beatles song is Hey Jude. My favorite Stones song is Sympathy for the Devil. Ironically, I like Sympathy for the Devil better than Hey Jude.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my second favorite Beatles song was "Hey Hey We're The Monkeys"

Skip Towne
10-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Seriously......how come no one ever compares like...Beatles Vs. Backstreet Boys??
You're gay, aren't you?

patteeu
10-21-2004, 09:45 PM
This thread made me realize how little I really know about Beatles music so I decided to make use of my vast, rarely used collection of bootleg MP3s and listen to a Beatles record. I picked Rubber Soul because Rain Man said Norwegian Wood was good. Now that I'm listening, I found that I like "You Wont See Me" a lot too, ooo la lala.

Rain Man
10-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that my second favorite Beatles song was "Hey Hey We're The Monkeys"

Huh. I always thought that was a Mamas and Papas song.

the Talking Can
10-21-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm not crazy about either...but Beatles hands down....what did the Stones do but rip off some blues?

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2004, 09:49 PM
The Beatles??? 2-1???

:cuss:

What a bunch of fuggin' puzzies.

"I wannnnnnnaaaaaaa hollllllllllllllldddddd yourrrrrrrrr hannnnnnnnnndddd!"

:shake:

:banghead:

Chiefnj
10-21-2004, 10:01 PM
I never liked the Beatles. Stones win hands down in my book. Gimme Shelter is my favorite.

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2004, 10:04 PM
I never liked the Beatles. Stones win hands down in my book. Gimme Shelter is my favorite.

Thank you.

At least not all you bastages are FAAAAAGGGGSSSS. :banghead:

12 non-Fags and counting.... :shake:

ROYC75
10-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Beatles......the better of the two .

Rausch
The Beatles.

What kind of bull$#it question is this?...

ChiefFripp
Some little known songs(atleast most people my age don't know them) by both bands that are worth checking out.

Moonlight Mile...Stones
Tomorrow Never Knows...Beatles
You Never Give Me Yor Money...Beatles
Can't You Hear Me Knocking...Stones
Happiness is a Warm Gun...Beatles
I am Waiting...Stones

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Beatles......the better of the two .

You must be a REALLY old fuk.... :shake:

:)

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2004, 10:15 PM
The Beatles.

What kind of bull$#it question is this?...

Fag... :p

teedubya
10-21-2004, 10:19 PM
put it this way... The Beatles sat down with the Rolling Stones early in 1963, and John and Paul wrote... "I Wanna Be Your Man" in front of them in like 10 minutes, and gave them the song to record...

It inspired the Stones to actually write their own material.

Without the Beatles, there would have not been a Rolling Stones that wrote original shit.

Also, my sons middle name is Lennon... if that says anything about my vote.

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2004, 10:20 PM
put it this way... The Beatles sat down with the Rolling Stones early in 1963, and John and Paul wrote... "I Wanna Be Your Man" in front of them in like 10 minutes, and gave them the song to record...

It inspired the Stones to actually write their own material.

Without the Beatles, there would have not been a Rolling Stones that wrote original shit.

Also, my sons middle name is Lennon... if that says anything about my vote.

Fag... :shake:

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Sh*t, I'm probably gonna get banned again for discriminating against those with different "sexual orientations." :banghead:

Skip Towne
10-21-2004, 10:22 PM
You must be a REALLY old fuk.... :shake:

Watch yo' mouf! youngin'

ChiefFripp
10-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Sh*t, I'm probably gonna get banned again for discriminating against those with different "sexual orientations." :banghead:

You know your hero Jagger plays for both teams right?

Rausch
10-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Fag... :p

None in the beatles, but I'd estimate at least two in the Stones...

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Watch yo' mouf! youngin'

I hope your wheelchair has an 455 on it; otherwise, you are toast, Methusula. :p

stevieray
10-21-2004, 10:26 PM
David Bowie

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2004, 10:27 PM

So. At least he is "bi."

Ringo, despite public appearances is a gay as they come; and McCartney and Lennon were just closet homos...

ChiefFripp
10-21-2004, 10:29 PM
I'd rather Lennon was gay. Yoko Ono...ewwww yuk

Skip Towne
10-21-2004, 10:32 PM
I hope your wheelchair has an 455 on it; otherwise, you are toast, Methusula. :p
Yeah, run your mouth fatboy. I had a coach like you in high school. He couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c and the a. You didn't by chance get through college on a football scholie did you? I thought so.

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2004, 10:33 PM
David Bowie

Bowie, I like; "Bi" I can stomach...at least he's sometimes interested in the same thing I am. :hmmm:

:p

Rausch
10-21-2004, 10:35 PM
So. At least he is "bi."

Ringo, despite public appearances is a gay as they come; and McCartney and Lennon were just closet homos...

If anyone would know, it would be you...

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Yeah, run your mouth fatboy. I had a coach like you in high school. He couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c and the a. You didn't by chance get through college on a football scholie did you? I thought so.

ROFL

Rep

Skip Towne
10-21-2004, 10:45 PM
ROFL

Rep
Hehe Rep returned

Rausch
10-21-2004, 10:54 PM

teedubya
10-21-2004, 11:27 PM
The Beatles not only created great rock music...

they also were the first to perform in a stadium with an audience of 50,000 or more...

They Inspired several genres... including techno with 'Tomorrow Never Knows'

Also, they pioneered teh music video, as they no longer opted to travelling to all of these tv shows to promote their album... so they sent a video.

I really like the Stones... I think Exile on Main St is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time. However, pound for pound... in 6 years... the Beatles owned the music world.

Rolling Stones have done it for more years, but The Beatles have more ground breaking albums, and 10 times the #1 hits.

Michael Michigan
10-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Mick and the boys...

teedubya
10-21-2004, 11:40 PM
This thread made me realize how little I really know about Beatles music so I decided to make use of my vast, rarely used collection of bootleg MP3s and listen to a Beatles record. I picked Rubber Soul because Rain Man said Norwegian Wood was good. Now that I'm listening, I found that I like "You Wont See Me" a lot too, ooo la lala.

listen to Revolver... The Second Best Album of all Time. [it would be #1 in my book if it were longer than 34 minutes.]

BIG_DADDY
10-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Gotta go with the Beatles man.

|Zach|
10-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Thank you.

At least not all you bastages are FAAAAAGGGGSSSS. :banghead:

12 non-Fags and counting.... :shake:
Man, you make qute a combo...hopefully someday we can all be homophobes and post on polls with multiple usernames like a total cowards.

Rain Man
10-22-2004, 12:38 AM
I'm shocked that the Beatles aren't winning by about a ten to one margin. Utterly shocked.

|Zach|
10-22-2004, 01:16 AM
I'm shocked that the Beatles aren't winning by about a ten to one margin. Utterly shocked.
I feel the same way....it does not get better than the Beatles Kevbo.

BigChiefFan
10-22-2004, 07:19 AM
The Beatles changed music forever, as a matter of fact, The Stones first song performed on Ed Sullivan's show was written by John Lennon.
The Beatles are the best band of all time, so as good as the Stones are, they aren't the Beatles.

shakesthecat
10-22-2004, 07:44 AM
For me this isn't even close. The Stones.

I won't dispute The Beatles impact and influence in music history, but I've never cared for more than about 4 or 5 of their songs.

To each his own.

Mr. Kotter
10-22-2004, 07:49 AM
For me this isn't even close. The Stones.

I won't dispute The Beatles impact and influence in music history, but I've never cared for more than about 4 or 5 of their songs.

To each his own.

FWIW, this is precisely what I meant....I was just being an obnoxious azzhole about it. I'd apologize those....er....eh.....who might have been offended, but I don't suspect I'll stop being an obnoxious azzhole....at least about some things. :hmmm:

Molitoth
10-22-2004, 09:06 AM
The Doors are better then both.

Saulbadguy
10-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Beatles. They were bigger than Jesus.

Mr. Kotter
10-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Beatles. They were bigger than Jesus.

You only say that because you are Jewish.

They were bigger than Moses, though. :p

Mr. Kotter
10-22-2004, 09:12 AM
The Doors are better then both.

I'd rank them ahead of the Beatles.

Brock
10-22-2004, 10:05 AM
The Beatles changed music forever, as a matter of fact, The Stones first song performed on Ed Sullivan's show was written by John Lennon.

It was written by Chuck Berry. But you were close.

go bo
10-22-2004, 10:22 AM
i was 16 when the beatles came to america...

and the world has never been the same...

while the stones had some great songs (and have lived longer than skip), the beatles had more #1 hits, more ground-breaking almost visionary musical innovation, and a lasting influence on the music world...

while the beatles were together, they ruled the pop and rock music world...

beatles all the way...

badgirl
10-22-2004, 05:30 PM
well the Beatles, I have a cd by John Lennon, and "Imagine" is my favorite song on it, I listen to the cd over and over while I clean the house, it relaxes me.

philfree
10-22-2004, 05:38 PM
The Stones have produced "Hits" and great rock-n-roll for over 3 decades without ever compromising thier style. Out of all thier songs ' I'm Just Waiting On A Friend' is my favorite.

PhilFree :arrow:

StcChief
10-22-2004, 05:45 PM
The Stones, without question.

The worlds greatest Rock 'n Roll Band.

The Blues influence, the bad boys appeal, they define rock 'n roll.

Too many favorites to name.

The Beatles did change things. But were too Pop oriented.

tk13
10-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Gah. I took this from the perspective of which one I'd choose if I was stuck on a desert island. I had to go with the Beatles... I can't imagine having music without "Yesterday", "Hey Jude", and "Let it Be" among others....

Mr. Kotter
10-22-2004, 08:41 PM
well the Beatles, I have a cd by John Lennon, and "Imagine" is my favorite song on it, I listen to the cd over and over while I clean the house, it relaxes me.

No, no....you need to do that naked to, "She Shook Me All Night Long" AC/DC. :hmmm:

Ultra Peanut
10-22-2004, 09:24 PM
The Beatles are Georgia Tech, the Stones are Cumberland.

Ultra Peanut
10-22-2004, 09:25 PM
And personally, speaking from this youngstah's perspective, the Beatles seem much more timeless.

KCWolfman
10-22-2004, 11:32 PM
I voted Rolling Stones...

Songs that give them the edge:

Let's Spend the Night Together
Sympathy for the Devil
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Under My Thumb
19th Nervous Breakdown
Paint it Black

KCWolfman
10-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Under My Thumb
19th Nervous Breakdown
Paint it Black
Oh, and Mother's Little Helper.

As old as they were, they put on a pretty good show in Tampa for the Steel Wheels Tour about 15 years ago. Living Colour opened for them and they really set up Mick.

KcMizzou
10-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Paint it Black is one of my all time favorites. But I'd still have to go with the Beatles.

Ebolapox
10-23-2004, 07:13 AM
I like some of the stuff the stones did, but it's the beatles by a mile

-EB-

Baby Lee
10-23-2004, 08:00 AM
I really like classic Stones. But put me on the no-brainer list when it comes to picking the Beatles. And it comes down to this; the Stones are great at being the Stones, much in the way that AC-DC is AMAZING at being AC-DC and The Band was PERFECTION at being The Band. But the Beatles set the pace for the entire evolution of popular music. Starting out by raising the bar for the clean-cut high energy love song [I wanna hold you hand], progressing to catchy story telling [Bungalow Bill, Rocky Racoon] moving into the pre-punk riffs [Revolution], and rounding things out with world-weary, yet anthemic, almost universal works that I think is their best stuff [Let it Be, Hey Jude]. I guess basically, I think that the Beatles could, if pressed have done a decent job of emulating, even pushing, the artists in most sub-genres [rockabilly, hard rock, blues, punk, anthem rock, etc.], but nobody could emulate, let alone push, The Beatles.

I saw her standing there
I wanna hold you hand
In My Life
Can't Buy Me Love
Eleanor Rigby
Across the Universe
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness if a Warm Gun
Helter Skelter
Revolution No. 1.
I want you [she's so heavy]
Come Together

Ohh. . .

And I can't forget the two songs/lines that have always brought a tear to my eye, from the first time I heard them, to this moment as I type them.

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary calls to me
Speaking words of wisdom, Let it Be.

I'm in love for the first time
Don't you know it's gonna last
It's a Love to Last Forever
It's a Love that has no past.

2 of the 3 best lines in music history [along with the chorus of 'he stopped loving her today'].

andoman
10-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Beatles running away. Stones are alright, but not good enough to have a spot in my music collection. But I've got to say, Arrowhead hasn't been the same since they stopped playing "Start Me Up" on kickoffs. Ironically, I'll change the radio station if that song comes on, as I would most Stones songs, because I know I'll find something better on.

gblowfish
10-23-2004, 08:55 AM
The Beatles??? 2-1???

:cuss:

What a bunch of fuggin' puzzies.

OK kiddies...time for a Blowfish rant.

Comparing the Beatles and Stones is like comparing Beethoven and Mozart. Both are indispensible to the history of rock n roll. Both started out as skiffle groups, basically bands you'd hire to play at a party. Both were influenced by black american blues music (Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, Joe Turner) and by Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry. The early difference between the Beatles and Stones was the Beatles were mop topped pretty boys and relatively safe (I Wanna Hold Your Hand) while the Stones were the ultra cool dangerous bad boys (Let's Spend the Night Together).

Beatles: John Lennon was the balls and brains of the band; Paul was the cute one, George the spiritual one and Ringo the comic relief.

Stones: Mick was the showman and the bravado, Keith the bad ass dangerous one, Charlie Watts the human metronome, rock solid rhythm section.

The Beatles had an immediate influence on contemporary artists of their time. Beatles songs were covered by mainstream artists like Bing Crosby, Ray Charles, Mitch Miller, etc. So their songwriting skills were embraced by square society early on. They were pioneers in studio experimentation. They used unusual instruments (harpsicord, sitar, fluglehorn) added full orchestras for background, played with backward masking and stereo effects. They were the first band to make headphones popular. Sgt Pepper is widely considered the most important rock album because of these reasons.

The Stones embraced other musical styles of their era - they covered blues ("Little Red Rooster" & "King Bee"), Motown ("Just My Imagination" & "Aint Too Proud to Beg"), Country ("Dead Flowers" & "Honky Tonk Woman"), ballads ("Angie" & "Wild Horses") and influenced the development of other off shoots of rock, such as heavy metal (You can't have heavy metal without "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" or "Satisfaction") and Reggae (Jagger and Peter Tosh-"Walk and Don't Look Back"). They did the most to lead their fans towards appreciating other musical genres.

BTW: the four food groups of good rock are: Beatles, Stones, Led Zepp, & The Who. Its what you need for a healthy balanced rock n roll diet.

Whew...I'm done raving now. I've been on Nyquil for five days straight and its starting to show!

Baby Lee
10-23-2004, 09:09 AM
BTW: the four food groups of good rock are: Beatles, Stones, Led Zepp, & The Who. Its what you need for a healthy balanced rock n roll diet.
The four food groups of 'rock' is The Who, AC-DC, Aerosmith and Pearl Jam.
The four food groups of Pop is The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, and Radiohead.
The four food groups of delta blues is The Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Band and Clapton.

redbrian
10-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Gblowfish is quite correct that you are comparing apples and oranges.

Are we judging these bands strictly on the music produced by the band or on artistic endeavors by all the members of the group or on a specific genre within music?

From my point, based on an the pure American Rock genre (read heavy blues influenced), the clear winner would be the Stones.

The Stones stayed truer the form, while movinging the genre forward (the Blues Based American rock song) far more than the Beatles.

I would also take the Who and the Kinks over the Beatles, in this genre.

fbodyman
10-23-2004, 09:43 AM
March 31, 1964 - The Beatles hold the top five slots on Billboard's chart:
(1) Can't Buy Me Love
(2) Twist and Shout
(3) She Loves You
(4) I Want To Hold Your Hand
(5) Please Please Me

about 20 #1 songs in 6 years.

The Beatles..not even close.

redbrian
10-23-2004, 09:56 AM
From a musician stand point once again the Stones would be the hands down favorite.

Drummer Stones
Bass Stones
Lead Guitar Stones
(although Harrison was the best musician the Beatles had)
Vocals Beatles
(I’ll give the nod to McCarthy and Lennon on this although Mick was an excellent blues/rock singer, however the very best British blues/rock singer would have to be Van Morrison)

Mr. Kotter
10-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I concede; apparently, I must be stupid. I thought the Stones would win this, going away.

I have no doubt the Beatles were more influencial. But "better" than the Stones? Wow, that literally floors me.

Hey, wait a minute; maybe it's just because you guys are a bunch of really old phucks? :hmmm:

memyselfI
10-23-2004, 10:41 AM
I voted Stones simply because I've seen them live five times and have 30 some odd of their albums. But I don't like them more than the Beatles or think they are better...they are different and yet very much the flip side of the same coin. I've seen McCartney live once with free tickets I got at Ward Parkway Mall. He didn't even sell out...it was rather sad.

The Beatles and Stones were yin/yang of the early British invasion. They certainly laid the ground work for the evolution of rock that would follow. I love them both but they are hardly the best, IMO.

If I never heard another of either of their songs I would miss it but my soul would not yearn for them as it would for some other bands...(Zeppelin, YES)

gblowfish
10-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Hey, wait a minute; maybe it's just because you guys are a bunch of really old phucks? :hmmm:

We may be old, that's true. We'll see how YOU feel when Eminem opens his theater in Branson ten years from now!

Mr. Kotter
10-23-2004, 12:54 PM
We may be old, that's true. We'll see how YOU feel when Eminem opens his theater in Branson ten years from now!

Damn, that puts it into perspective, I guess. :hmmm:

Baby Lee
10-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Just realized that one of my favorite Stones songs was also one of their most Beatles-esque, too.

She's a Rainbow.

She comes in colors ev'rywhere;
She combs her hair
She's like a rainbow