PDA

View Full Version : You know what ticks me

ChiefsCountry
10-21-2004, 09:20 PM
How come the Cardinals have a freaking team salary that is 80 million and the Royals have 45 million? There isn't that much difference size between St. Louser and Kansas City. I guess there ownership cares more about winning, and that is sad. KC used to be an awesome baseball town just like St. Louis. :deevee:

jcroft
10-21-2004, 09:23 PM
While I agree that their ownership is more interested in winning than ours, I think you're underestimating the size difference between the two cities. Plus, STL has an incredibly loyal and large fanbase that shows up for every game. Sell outs probably make it a lot easier for the ownership to spend...

jcroft
10-21-2004, 09:23 PM
P.S.: I hate St. Louis.

ChiefsCountry
10-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Theres not that much difference, KC gets screwed in tv market stuff bc they dont count Topeka and St. Joe.

Baby Lee
10-22-2004, 05:35 AM
Cards topped 3 million in attendance in the regular season this year. What did the Royals clear?

Braincase
10-22-2004, 06:49 AM
Card's owned by a family that appreciates their fans, and recognizes they have 3 million fans that will buy their beer. Royals are owned by a guy that sells crappy discount products and destroys downtowns all over the world.

I wonder if they'll be implementing a money-back guarantee for season ticket holders?

Skip Towne
10-22-2004, 06:56 AM
Theres not that much difference, KC gets screwed in tv market stuff bc they dont count Topeka and St. Joe.
Why would they count Topeka and St. Joe?

Baby Lee
10-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Card's owned by a family that appreciates their fans, and recognizes they have 3 million fans that will buy their beer.
Cards are owned by an 'ownership group.' Busch only retains naming and concession rights.

Rukdafaidas
10-22-2004, 07:32 AM
Fans come with winning records, just look at the Chiefs. In the mid 80's, I could buy an upper deck ticket to a Chiefs game and move down to field level and sit in the first row.
The Royals were one of the most profitable MLB teams in the '80's. Sports Illustrated ran an article in the 80's saying the Royals had the best fans in baseball.
It's too bad Ewing isn't still around.

shaneo69
10-22-2004, 09:20 AM
The Cardinals draw fans because they win. They win because the owners spend the money. When the owners bought the team from A-B in '95-'96, they totally fixed up the stadium with their own coin, switching to grass, painting the fence green (used to be an ugly blue), adding a manual scoreboard in the centerfield upper deck, moving the bullpens behind the outfield fence so seats could be added closer to the 1st and 3rd base lines, etc.

It baffles me as to why these baseball owners like Glass choose to own a team but then don't spend the money to make it competitive. Then they whine about needing stadium improvements. B.S. If you didn't want to spend the money to field a winning team, then get the fug out.

Messier
10-22-2004, 09:26 AM
The days of an almost empty Arrowhead will never come back even if the Chiefs have a Bengals like run. It's the popularity of the NFL. It wouldn't be sold out but it wouldn't 3\4 empty either. The sport is popular enough and KC (being a football town) would have enough people that would pay just to see a game that those days of the 80's will never be back.

Logical
10-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Cardinals I believe have the 4th largest TV/Radio network in MLB behind the Yankees, Braves, and Cubs. That is a tremendous amount of revenue differential for them over the Royals, not to mention the 3mil+ in attendance.

Molitoth
10-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Cards topped 3 million in attendance in the regular season this year. What did the Royals clear?

They dont clear very much because they dont Win very much.

Winning = $$$

MOhillbilly
10-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Im a cards fan but i would love to see KC do well to contend.I miss the days when the Royals put a product on the field you could be proud of.

I saw G. Brett blast a walkoff homerun against the redsox in the mid 80s.
It was freakin awesome.

Saulbadguy
10-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Why would they count Topeka and St. Joe?
The show all the FSN televised Royals games here. FWIW.

Mr. Laz
10-22-2004, 11:57 AM

they generally clear 2 million... one of the tops in the league in ratio to population/attendence

st. louis has alot bigger market than kansas city

tk13
10-22-2004, 12:32 PM
*Groan* St. Louis metro is 3+ million people, KC is about 1.6 million. The Cards also have history on their side since they've been around 100 years, and they have a huge fanbase regionally... they have radio affiliates from Iowa to Oklahoma to Indiana to Mississippi. Last year the Royals were in first place and there were still nights where they'd draw 12,000... St. Louis would never do that in first place. That kinda worries me with the whole NBA thing... I'm not sure KC will spend NBA ticket prices on a bad team when they won't always spend 5 bucks a ticket on a first place team....

That's another big moneymaker, ticket prices. The Cards are expensive, you can sit in the nose bleeds at Busch for 21 bucks... that'll get you down near the field at the K.

Blitz
10-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Baseball sucks