PDA

View Full Version : Official Cardinals vs. Red Sox World Series Thread

BigRedChief
10-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Who are you rooting for? Poll to follow. Predictions below.

St. Louis beats the knucklballer and takes game one. Schilling shuts them down. Cards sweep at home.

Cards in 5.

tk13
10-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Knuckleball pitcher + poor knuckball catcher + that lineup of hitters + Green Monster = Not liking Game 1 if you're rooting for the Red Sox. I almost like Pedro and Lowe going in games 3 and 4 over Wakefield and Schilling in games 1 and 2. You just felt like Schilling was going to do what he did the other night, but I don't see him doing that twice. I think the Cards can score some runs, it'll be interesting to see if guys like Morris and Marquis can turn it around and hold that Red Sox lineup in check. David Ortiz and Albert Pujols might go nuts.....

Demonpenz
10-21-2004, 10:43 PM
it's time for big papi time

Demonpenz
10-21-2004, 10:44 PM
this is wakefields last year isn't it? Man he came on like gang busters when he was with the bucs

BigRedChief
10-21-2004, 10:45 PM
We have met the Red Sox twice in the World Series. In 1946 and 1967. The Cardinals won both series 4 games to 3. Stan the Man led the way in 1946. Bob Gibson in 1967. Red Sox meet Mr. Pujols.

Demonpenz
10-21-2004, 10:47 PM
I hate the cards, but the more people can talk about Stan the better. Great player

BigRedChief
10-21-2004, 10:54 PM
1946 Cardinals World Championship:

Stan Musial won the N.L. MVP award, leading the league in nearly every offensive category. Enos Slaughter led the league with 130 RBIs. The Cardinals took a three-game series with the Dodgers to decide the N.L., then defeated Boston in a seven-game World Series. Harry "the Cat" Brecheen won three games for the Redbirds. In the bottom of the eighth inning of the seventh game, with the score tied at 3 to 3, Enos Slaughter singled, then scored all the way from first on Harry Walker's double to left-center. Slaughter's "Mad Dash" surprised Red Sox relay man Johnny Pesky, whose moment's hesitation allowed Slaughter to score the winning run.

1967 Cardinals World Series Championship:

Winning their 11th pennant, the Cardinals defeated the Boston Red Sox, four games to three. Bob Gibson pitched three complete-game victories and Lou Brock put on one of the finest offensive displays in World Series history. Gibson limited the Red Sox to only 14 hits in three games, and Brock topped all Series hitters with a .414 batting average. Lou also set a Series record by stealing seven bases and Roger Maris hit .385 and drove in seven runs.

Frazod
10-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I don't make predictions. Boston is tough and I have a great deal of respect for them (I would have much rather faced the Yankmees).

But I like the way we line up against Boston, I think our starting pitching is just a bit better (certainly our bullpen is better). Schilling was a monster stud last night, but I have serious doubts if he can keep it up on that bum ankle. Offensively we match up well, but I'd have to give the slight edge to Pujols, Rolen and Edmunds, especially considering that Boston will lose the DH for the games in St. Louis. Defensively, sorry, but it's not even close. St. Louis wins that hands down.

If we can take one of those first games at Fenway and get them back at Busch where they won't have a DH... that really plays to our advantage.

As for playing with a DH, I love the idea of adding another bat to our lineup. My choice would be Mabry, another 300 hitter during the regular season, as DH.

BigRedChief
10-21-2004, 11:13 PM
1946 it was http://www.stan-the-man.com/IMAGES/satpost.jpg
In 2004 it is http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2004/1021/photo/la_rolan02_skirm.jpg

We just don't have a gibby. But the Cardinals are a part of the bambino curse lore. Enos Slaughter's mad dash in 1946 and the hesitation was blamed on the bambino curse.

tk13
10-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I think based on what the Red Sox just did the Yankees, all that history and the curse can be tossed right out the window.

BIG_DADDY
10-22-2004, 12:07 AM
How come all BRC's threads are official?

easymobee
10-22-2004, 01:15 AM
Cardinals in 7 due to the 3rd and decided out for a Sox win somehow manages to bounce off of Damon's head .... St Louis wins game 7 ... 3-2 in 12 innings due to the error.

|Zach|
10-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Go Red Sox....

Go Royals.

Lomax
10-22-2004, 01:21 AM
I'd love to see the Sox, but can it really happen?

The possibilities for Boston are positively frightening. Sox win finally. Patriots prove to be a dynasty and win again. In between they might get a president elected.

Nah. All of them'll lose.

ROYC75
10-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Who cares !

Go Jayhawks ! :KU:

BigRedChief
10-22-2004, 08:10 AM
How come all BRC's threads are official?

Because the best team in baseball, My Cardinals are in the World Series and I'm DA MAN! :p

BigRedChief
10-22-2004, 08:16 AM
I just noticed this was a poll thread. Guesss who I voted for?

BD... BRC is a good kid. Just a bit misguided. Hell, he eventually got over the neg rep thing. It takes a grownup to realize I'm gonna keep pokin the more you protest... he figured it out pretty quick. I'll still hate on him for being a Cards fan... but, he's probably a nice guy overall.

Holy Crap! :eek:
The Red Sox are in the World Series.
Endelt260 says something nice to a Cardinal fan.

Somebody check the sky for pigs. :jester:

MOhillbilly
10-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Redbirds in 7.
get to the late game bullpen and your F'd. the cards lineup will chew em up.

BigRedChief
10-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Who cares

You seem to care a lot when you were saying that the Cardinals would choke, they suck and bad things about my momma...:p

yunghungwell
10-22-2004, 08:31 AM
My throat hurts from screaming for three hours straight last night. Oh yeah!! Game 7 and I was there. The place was absolutely electric.

Tickets on ebay=$187.50
Four beer at Busch Stadium=$24.00
Taking my dad to his first post season Cardinals game and seeing the Cardinals clinch a World Series birth=PRICELESS

Now presenting your world champion St. Louis Cardinals.

ROYC75
10-22-2004, 08:46 AM
You seem to care a lot when you were saying that the Cardinals would choke, they suck and bad things about my momma...:p

Wrong..... I never said they suck, never said anything about yur momma....

I did say this.....

F*ck the Yankees
Piss on the Sox
Cardinals stink
and the Astros Rock ! :thumb:

Me thinks yur adding more to the poem........

As a former leader of all Underdogs, my stance in this years MLB playoffs were to go with Houston, largely due to never being in a NLCS or a WS. Once they were eliminated, I don't have any reason to root for the other teams. This is largely due to the inability of my favorite pro teams being already eliminated.

As for the cardinals vs Red Sox..... to me that's about like choosing between the Broncos and the Raiders.

It's time to move on....... college basketball is next !

Go Jayhawks ! :KU:

Chief Henry
10-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Cardinals in SIX...

Cardinals starting eight play superior defense to the
Red Sox. Boston has no Superman in centerfield like
Edmonds.

Boston does not have Brad Lidge for the 8th and 9th innings.

Boston does not have Mike Matheny as catcher.

Chief Henry
10-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Bump

Cardinals in SIX

BigRedChief
10-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Cardinals in SIX...

Cardinals starting eight play superior defense to the
Red Sox. Boston has no Superman in centerfield like
Edmonds.

Boston does not have Brad Lidge for the 8th and 9th innings.

Boston does not have Mike Matheny as catcher.

Yep, the Red Sox can't play defense worth a crap. Maybe it will be their downfall.:thumb:

Crush
10-22-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry, but the Royal blue blood in me is rooting against the Cardinals.

Remembering (actually can't remember it because I was about a month old) a time when the Royals were actually able to compete in the league:

http://www.sports-photos.com/catalog/images/1985KansasCtyRoyals.tif.tif.jpg

Sniff.

Frazod
10-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Yep, the Red Sox can't play defense worth a crap. Maybe it will be their downfall.:thumb:

No shit. Their outfielders make Drew Bledsoe look mobile. :D

tk13
10-22-2004, 12:41 PM
I don't understand why Boston's bullpen is taking a lot of heat as a weakness, I thought they were huge in the Yankees series... that's probably why the Red Sox even won that series, because on back to back nights they shut down the Yankees during two grueling extra inning games, then slammed the door shut in NY...

BigRedChief
10-22-2004, 03:42 PM
I don't understand why Boston's bullpen is taking a lot of heat as a weakness, I thought they were huge in the Yankees series... that's probably why the Red Sox even won that series, because on back to back nights they shut down the Yankees during two grueling extra inning games, then slammed the door shut in NY...
Remember BRC told ya so......Bullpen and defense is going to kill the Red Sox this series. Small ball/executing fundamental baseball/Pitchers hitting it's all gonna haunt the Red Sox. All they have is starting pitching and the long ball. We didn't win 105 games and beat a darn good Houston team by accident. I just don't see where they match us to us well. But thats why they play the games.

tk13
10-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Well it might, you never know what is going to happen, I think Boston's bullpen was a huge advantage for them in the last series though. The Cards bullpen couldn't hold a tie in game 4, gave up the walkoff homer in game 5, and blew a lead that led to extra innings in game 6.... the Cards pitching really hasn't pitched up to the quality they were in the regular season.

BIG_DADDY
10-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Because the best team in baseball, My Cardinals are in the World Series and I'm DA MAN! :p

Oh, I thought that maybe it was because you owned one of those black and white striped shirts and a whistle.

BigRedChief
10-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Oh, I thought that maybe it was because you owned one of those black and white striped shirts and a whistle.

I do but don't tell the wife. It's a surprise for our next weekend getaway.

BigRedChief
10-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Some articles on tonights game. :thumb:

FoxSports: Little things will help Cards win big one
http://msn.foxsports.com/story?contentId=3102462&print=true

WorldSeries.com: Pujols, Ortiz have dominated foes as Series opens
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20041022&content_id=903291&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

CBSSportsline:Once you wade through all the Red Sox talk of hijinks, hair and horror writers, you'll see that the Cardinals should win the World Series in six games, Scott Miller explains.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7819379

ESPN.com: Expect the series to be a blast
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/fallclassic/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1907611

Ebolapox
10-23-2004, 07:44 AM
maybe the royals fan in me is the reason I f*cking hate the tardinals like I hate the broncos or raiduhs--

red sox in six--

-EB-

Demonpenz
10-23-2004, 10:18 AM
I say redsox dominate, the starting pitching for the cards come back to earth as big papi goes crazy
Red Sox sweep

Fairplay
10-23-2004, 11:12 AM
maybe the royals fan in me is the reason I f*cking hate the tardinals like I hate the broncos or raiduhs--

red sox in six--

-EB-

Thats the same reason i don't care for them. Plus when they lose they always have excuses. Watch, when they lose the series against the Sox. Their fans will be crying why they lost the series.

BigRedChief
10-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Thats the same reason i don't care for them. Plus when they lose they always have excuses. Watch, when they lose the series against the Sox. Their fans will be crying why they lost the series.

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't lump us all together please....:( I don't make excuses for our team. I don't cry about losing. I don't whine about umpire calls and I give props all the time to Royal fans for sticking by their team. :harumph:

You cheer for the team you grew up with, correct? Well when you grow up in Springfield, mo. if you are not a Cardinals fan the Sheriff has you arrested for being a commie pinko liberal...:hmmm: don't ask me how they are tied in...I never figured it out...

Calcountry
10-23-2004, 11:20 AM
I must say one thing in conclusion to the the Yankees series:
WHO'S YOUR DADDY? ? ???

Hammock Parties
10-23-2004, 11:24 AM
No shit. Their outfielders make Drew Bledsoe look mobile. :D

Um...the last time I checked Damon was very good in CF and Manny wasn't too bad in LF.

Frazod
10-23-2004, 11:34 AM
I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't lump us all together please....:( I don't make excuses for our team. I don't cry about losing. I don't whine about umpire calls and I give props all the time to Royal fans for sticking by their team. :harumph:

You cheer for the team you grew up with, correct? Well when you grow up in Springfield, mo. if you are not a Cardinals fan the Sheriff has you arrested for being a commie pinko liberal...:hmmm: don't ask me how they are tied in...I never figured it out...

I've given up on these people. I would remind them, though, to remove the tags from their brand-new Red Sox hats. Otherwise, they might be mistaken for being bandwagon assholes. :rolleyes:

I'll also be sure to remind all these newly-minted Red Sox fans how hard they rooted for them the next time this monstrous east coast team with its bloated payroll rolls into Kansas City to crush the Royals.

:shake:

Frazod
10-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Um...the last time I checked Damon was very good in CF and Manny wasn't too bad in LF.

Please. :shake:

Damon couldn't hold Edmunds' jock. He may be better than Ramirez, but that's not saying much. He also has no arm. If Damon is St. Louis' centerfielder, Houston is in the series.

And I saw hit after hit drop around Ramirez during the ALCS. The lack of effort and talent he displays at his position is staggering. He may be good at the plate, but he's a huge defensive liability (as is the bulk of their team).

Seriously, who would you rather have in center and left field? Damon and Ramirez or Edmunds and Sanders?

I also can't wait to see Ortiz attempt to play first at Busch Stadium. That should prove to be great comedy. :D

Hammock Parties
10-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Damon doesn't have Edmonds arm but I think he has just as much range. He's widely regarded as one of the top defensive centerfielders in the league.

Ramirez is all arm. I do agree your other fielders are better.

Fairplay
10-23-2004, 11:52 AM

Ok, i won't lump you all together. Sorry. It doesn't mean much one way or the other who wins to me to be honest. Something to bs about on this board for a while. I lost interest in the sport way back when they had the strike. Plus baseball is set up where the money teams has most of the talent. Unlike how the NFL is, where there is a cap.

Hydrae
10-23-2004, 12:01 PM
As much as I would love to see the Sox win (lived in the Boston area for 3 years as a kid), I don't think it will happen. I have said since before the playoffs began that I thought the Cards were going to win it all. I still think that simply because Boston showed me in the last series that they can not play small ball. All the Cards have to do is win one in Beantown and it is over because there is no way Boston will win in St Louis without a DH.

St Louis in 6 sounds right to me.

BigRedChief
10-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Ok, i won't lump you all together. Sorry. It doesn't mean much one way or the other who wins to me to be honest. Something to bs about on this board for a while. I lost interest in the sport way back when they had the strike. Plus baseball is set up where the money teams has most of the talent. Unlike how the NFL is, where there is a cap.

Fairplay, I wasn't picking on you.

It just seems like the members here have the Cardinal fans confused with other Cardinal fans. That they are talking about their buddies/co-workers and not about the Cardinal fans here.. I've not seen a lot of whining or excuses from Cardinal fans on here. So I don't see their agrument.

We Cardinal fans would have heard about losing the series all year and forever from some planet members. But I didn't see any posts that said FU, You suck, we beat you Stros etc... First off we were lucky to beat them. They were a good team. Second I think the vast majority of Cardinal fans here at the planet are good baseball fans and are not just into bashing other teams but are just sticking out there chest a little about their team.

tk13
10-23-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm gonna go with the Cards in 7 as my pick. I saw something that said that the last seven World Series the Cards had been in had gone 7 games. The last time they were even in a World Series that didn't go 7 was 1944... that's pretty hard to believe.

BigRedChief
10-23-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm gonna go with the Cards in 7 as my pick. I saw something that said that the last seven World Series the Cards had been in had gone 7 games. The last time they were even in a World Series that didn't go 7 was 1944... that's pretty hard to believe.

Glad to see you came over to the light. With you and Phobia on deck we are ready to roll or you have jinxed us. :thumb:

BigRedChief
10-23-2004, 06:38 PM
After 1 inning the fat lady ain't no where near singing.

Calcountry
10-23-2004, 06:48 PM
I've given up on these people. I would remind them, though, to remove the tags from their brand-new Red Sox hats. Otherwise, they might be mistaken for being bandwagon assholes. :rolleyes:

I'll also be sure to remind all these newly-minted Red Sox fans how hard they rooted for them the next time this monstrous east coast team with its bloated payroll rolls into Kansas City to crush the Royals.

:shake:
I remember a monstrous NY yankee team getting fuggin embarrassed by the Royals in a game last year???

chiefs4me
10-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Well I can't believe there are so many NON Cardinal fans on a Chiefs website,,,,,after all the Royals aren't in,,,,so why not root for a team from your state??

GO REDBIRDS

tk13
10-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Well I can't believe there are so many NON Cardinal fans on a Chiefs website,,,,,after all the Royals aren't in,,,,so why not root for a team from your state??

GO REDBIRDS
Would you root for the Rams in the Super Bowl? Same thing...

Coach
10-23-2004, 08:11 PM

GO REDBIRDS

What he said, plus there are quite a few Cubs fans here as well.

chiefs4me
10-23-2004, 08:27 PM

Yea,,,,I would,,,,,

StcChief
10-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Cards in 6 games.

BigRedChief
10-23-2004, 10:27 PM

Looking pretty good in that department. Red Sox are gonna choke and give it away. We had 1 out bases loaded and Rolen and Edmonds coming up. They won't come through every time. But Manny and the Red Sox defense is going to be good for a run or two or at least some bone headed play that will cost them a game.

We should have had this one but so should they have had it. This one is probably going to go 7 games.

Sure-Oz
10-23-2004, 11:15 PM
1-0 red sox, fvck the cards!

Frazod
10-23-2004, 11:31 PM

I don't like the Rams, mainly because I didn't grow up rooting for them. I haven't lived in Missouri since 1984, and the loyalty window closed at that point. I tried to like them and just couldn't - even when they won the Super Bowl. Hell, if you can't jump on the bandwagon of a Super Bowl team, then I guess you can't really jump on any bandwagon.

Also, I'm far more passionate about football than baseball. Admittedly, if the Chiefs were 4-1 right now instead of 1-4, I probably wouldn't be quite as excited as I am about the Cardinals - I love 'em and outside of the '85 World Series have always rooted for them, but at the end of the day IT JUST AIN'T FOOTBALL - it's only baseball. The wins aren't quite as sweet and the losses don't hurt so bad.

Win or lose, I'll come out of this with a shirt that says CHAMPIONS on it - and I'll be able to walk the streets of Chicago with home team pride. I sure as hell ain't getting any home team pride from Kansas City these days - so I'll take it where I can get it.

BIG_DADDY
10-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Not that I care that much about the series because I really don't but the calls behind the plate at crucial times were absolutely terrible. Bases loaded pitch a good 6-8" inside and you call that a strike? WTF, that wasn't the only terrible call. You would think once you got down to the world series calls like that and others that went against the Cardinals wouldn't happen. Certainly doesn't make me want to tune in for the rest of the series. Is this WWF or what.

Frazod
10-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Not that I care that much about the series because I really don't but the calls behind the plate at crucial times were absolutely terrible. Bases loaded pitch a good 6-8" inside and you call that a strike? WTF, that wasn't the only terrible call. You would think once you got down to the world series calls like that and others that went against the Cardinals wouldn't happen. Certainly doesn't make me want to tune in for the rest of the series. Is this WWF or what.

There were a great many questionable calls. It seemed that most went against us.

But they should have been overcome. Rolen and Pujols were both invisible at the plate.

BIG_DADDY
10-23-2004, 11:52 PM
There were a great many questionable calls. It seemed that most went against us.

But they should have been overcome. Rolen and Pujols were both invisible at the plate.

Agreed, I just hate to see the man behind the plate have such a potential impact on the game.

Frazod
10-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Agreed, I just hate to see the man behind the plate have such a potential impact on the game.

Same here. I'd love to see instant replay in baseball, with managers getting challenges just like the NFL.

Ultra Peanut
10-23-2004, 11:58 PM

GO REDBIRDSThat post is beyond idiotic.

Frazod
10-24-2004, 12:00 AM
That post is beyond idiotic.

DISCLAIMER - THIS IS A CUBS FAN

ROFL

Ultra Peanut
10-24-2004, 12:03 AM
The shitty, underachieving douchebags that I root for year in and year out to no avail have no bearing on that stupid-assed post.

St. Louis sucks, and that sentiment should be multiplied by ten for anyone from KC. Rooting for a St. Louis team would be like me rooting for the Tits or something. No way in hell. **** Trashville and **** their teams.

BigRedChief
10-24-2004, 12:06 AM

That 3rd strike with bases loaded. That wasn't even close. But theres no way they get instant replay. They can't even show replays on the jumbotrons so as not to show up the umps.

Frazod
10-24-2004, 12:08 AM
The shitty, underachieving douchebags that I root for year in and year out to no avail have no bearing on that stupid-assed post.

St. Louis sucks, and that sentiment should be multiplied by ten for anyone from KC. Rooting for a St. Louis team would be like me rooting for the Tits or something. No way in hell. **** Trashville and **** their teams.

Sour grapes make a tasty whine.....

Ultra Peanut
10-24-2004, 12:09 AM
**** your grapes.

Frazod
10-24-2004, 12:11 AM
**** your grapes.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT! ROFL

BigRedChief
10-24-2004, 12:12 AM
nothing worse than a bitter cubs fan.....

Frazod
10-24-2004, 12:15 AM
nothing worse than a bitter cubs fan.....

Not true. I'm surrounded by several million of them. It's fun as hell. :evil:

BIG_DADDY
10-24-2004, 12:18 AM
Same here. I'd love to see instant replay in baseball, with managers getting challenges just like the NFL.

It would be tougher to do in baseball but I would at least like to see the compensation for the umpires short term and long term in baseball directly connected to their ability to make the right call especially in big games.

Example: Who ever was behind the plate tonight should not be able to participate in a playoff game for at least 3 years for grotesquely missing crucial calls in this game. There should also be a fine on wages earned tonight for making such terrible calls at crucial times. Pay them more and hold them accountible. All of us in life have to live up to this why not them?

BIG_DADDY
10-24-2004, 12:19 AM
BTW who was behind the plate tonight?

Ultra Peanut
10-24-2004, 12:20 AM
nothing worse than a bitter cubs fan.....Dude, the Cubs are so far off my bitterness radar it's not even funny. I've moved onto football season, and somehow, Memphis managed to pack all of the anguish of each of the Chiefs' games this season into one ****ing quarter before I started breaking shit.

FloridaChief
10-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Dude, the Cubs are so far off my bitterness radar it's not even funny. I've moved onto football season, and somehow, Memphis managed to pack all of the anguish of each of the Chiefs' games this season into one ****ing quarter before I started breaking shit.
Cranky baby. You'll feel better today when the Falcons officially put the screws to the Chiefs '04 season...

BIG_DADDY
10-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Cranky baby. You'll feel better today when the Falcons officially put the screws to the Chiefs '04 season...

Won't happen.

Ultra Peanut
10-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Cranky baby. You'll feel better today when the Falcons officially put the screws to the Chiefs '04 season...I don't know if I'm even going to watch it. I think my time would be better spent breaking some more shit.

Frazod
10-24-2004, 12:26 AM

Thank God for the Cardinals.

FloridaChief
10-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Won't happen.

When Vick starts rolling out on every play, I sure hope Bartee can cover his man for 7 to 8 seconds...

BIG_DADDY
10-24-2004, 12:40 AM
When Vick starts rolling out on every play, I sure hope Bartee can cover his man for 7 to 8 seconds...

I personally think the Falcons record is way better than the team. They barely beat the 69ers who could easily lose to several high school at this point because Denise & York have run the franchise in the ground. They beat the Lambs but the lambs looked like shit at the first of the season. They beat the Cardinals by 3 woooooooooooooo!!!! The one thing I will say is they beat the Panthers. They lost to those badass Lions. They beat the mighty Chargers by 1. I personally believe we have a good chance of killing this team, they are highly overrated hence the Chiefs being the favorites.

KcMizzou
10-24-2004, 01:15 AM
The one thing I will say is they beat the Panthers. They lost to those badass Lions. They beat the mighty Chargers by 1. I personally believe we have a good chance of killing this team, they are highly overrated hence the Chiefs being the favorites. I agree.

I'm fairly confident we'll win tomorrow. But, it'd take a win next week too, to get me excited again.

BigRedChief
10-24-2004, 05:01 PM
I tell you I wasn't impressed with thte Red Sox fans at all. Opening day of the World Series. Bottom of the 8th inning. Tie ballgame. Go ahead run on first and they are all sitting on their hands. No cheering. No clapping. Pathetic. :shake:

BigRedChief
10-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Peter Gammons on espn.com....The Cards never quit...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1908238

Gonna be hard for the haters to call the Cards quitters/Chokers no matter what happens in the series.

Miles
10-24-2004, 05:56 PM
A cards win would go nice with the KC win :thumb:

BigRedChief
10-25-2004, 10:11 AM
And before you haters start throwing out choker and loser labels you would do good to remember that this BB was alive with those labels after the Cards left Hoston. Didn't work out too well for the Stros did it?

Back in 1986 the Red Sox won the first two games of that series also...worked out pretty good for the Mets didn't it?

ROYC75
10-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Looks like the Cards are getting delt a new hand !

Pluck the Redbirds !

BTW, I don't like Boston either.... this is a no win for a guy like me. I like to see both of them lose.

Go Jayhawks !

BigRedChief
10-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Looks like the Cards are getting delt a new hand !

Pluck the Redbirds !

BTW, I don't like Boston either.... this is a no win for a guy like me. I like to see both of them lose.

Go Jayhawks !

I'll remember you come bb season :p

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 07:19 AM
SI: Top Ten Zaniest Cardinals ever:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/pete_mcentegart/10/25/ten.spot/index.htm
My favorite:
2. Pepper Martin (1928-44) "The Wild Horse of the Osage" was the emotional leader of the Gashouse Gang. Martin reportedly wore nothing under his uniform, not underwear or even a protective cup, which for a third baseman qualifies as either very brave or very foolhardy. He would hop aboard freight trains to get to spring training from his home in Oklahoma and arrive covered in dirt. He spent the offseason, and part of the season, driving a midget racer called "The Martin Special." Martin organized and fronted the Mudcat Band, a country-music outfit that played on radio shows with such ditties as Possum Up a Gum Stump. In addition to his quirks, Martin was a terrific clutch player, batting .500 in the 1931 World Series.l

SI: 10 most outrageous characters in Red Sox history (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/pete_mcentegart/10/22/ten.spot/index.html):
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/pete_mcentegart/10/22/ten.spot/index.html

Ebolapox
10-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Yea,,,,I would,,,,,

you're retarded

-EB-

chiefz
10-26-2004, 10:23 AM
The Cardinals will have more success at home.

They haven't lost yet this postseason there.

The difference in hitting stats at home and away are like night and day.

The Red Sox have played horrid defense in a friendly enviroment and now they will also have Iron glove Ortiz playing first base on top of it.

They will have to bat at their pitchers spot.

Those are just a few of the reasons I can think of.

The Cardinals should have won game one, they had it in their grasps with the game tied and bases loaded but they blew it.

I expected to lose game two with Morris pitching against (well anyone) Schilling.

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 10:36 AM

The Red Sox have played horrid defense in a friendly enviroment and now they will also have Iron glove Ortiz playing first base on top of it.

The Cardinals should have won game one, they had it in their grasps with the game tied and bases loaded but they blew it.

I expected to lose game two with Morris pitching against (well anyone) Schilling.

I don't think anyone realistically expected us to beat Schiing in game 2 on the road. Game 1 was the one that got away. Bases loaded 1 out iwth Rolen and Edmonds coming up. I'll take that match up every day for the win. They came through in Game 6 and Game 7 of the NCLS so they get some slack.

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 11:18 AM

1) I can't locate Home/road playoff splits. I only know thew Cards are hitting just over .200 on the road in the post season.
I presume the Red Sox are hitting pretty well on the road in the post season. They are 4-2 on the road, so I have to presume they are hitting fairly well. (and with all the sites out there for stats, it's a b!tch sorting through stats to find the ones you want.)

2)Pure science fiction. This falls under the category of "Repeat a fable enough times and anybody will believe it's truth."
Ortiz' career fielding % is higher than anybody playing first base in this series. That includes Albert Pujols.

3) So does Suppan. That's still a push. If anything having another solid lefty stick to come off the bench will put pressure on LaRussa. King is the only LHP in the Cards pen, no?

4) Must win for the Cards tonight. Pedro dominated in the NL while he was there and Busch is still a good pitchers park.

This should be a good game.

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 11:23 AM
I tell you I wasn't impressed with thte Red Sox fans at all. Opening day of the World Series. Bottom of the 8th inning. Tie ballgame. Go ahead run on first and they are all sitting on their hands. No cheering. No clapping. Pathetic. :shake:

You wanna know why we are sitting on our hands. We do this for ONE SIMPLE REASON. We are expecting to somehow f*ck up and lose the game. It's not that we are not excited about what is going on, it just that there are 35,000 people having a panic attack while trying not to have a stroke at the the same time.

There was no noise because the tension was so bad people can't talk in that situation. You know the feeling when you are so nervous that you feel like you want to throw up? Imagine that every time you watch your team play.

Up 6-0, game 7 vs. the Yankees my heart was still racing because I know its never over. It is tough being a Sox fan, you can't really cheer until you know something good HAS ALREADY HAPPENED, not trying to make it happen. 85 years of the wrong thing happening tends to do that to you.

Ebolapox
10-26-2004, 11:27 AM
yeah, being a sox fan HAS to be like being a chiefs fan--since super bowl four, the wrong thing ALWAYS happens

-EB-

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 11:36 AM
yeah, being a sox fan HAS to be like being a chiefs fan--since super bowl four, the wrong thing ALWAYS happens

-EB-

Kind of, but it would be like Chiefs fans waiting until Super Bowl 89 until you REALLY know what its like.

Kraut
10-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Hey Sox fans!! It looks like you guys have broken the curse. Hope I jinxed ya!! :p

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Hey Sox fans!! It looks like you guys have broken the curse. Hope I jinxed ya!! :p

I can only say this so many times, WE HAVE NOT BROKEN THE CURSE. THE CURSE ISN'T GETTING THE THE WORLD SERIES ITS WINNING IT.

If we don't beat the Cardinals the Curse will still be alive and kicking.

Kraut
10-26-2004, 11:47 AM
I can only say this so many times, WE HAVE NOT BROKEN THE CURSE. THE CURSE ISN'T GETTING THE THE WORLD SERIES ITS WINNING IT.

No, I know that. I've told all my down in the dumps Yankee friends that you guys still have to win the whole thing. I'm just trying anything at this point to jinx you guys :p

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 11:53 AM
No, I know that. I've told all my down in the dumps Yankee friends that you guys still have to win the whole thing. I'm just trying anything at this point to jinx you guys :p

What are you serious? You really don't have to jinx us, there are still 5 games left to f*ck this whole thing up. Don't worry, we don't need your help.

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 11:58 AM
What are you serious? You really don't have to jinx us, there are still 5 games left to f*ck this whole thing up. Don't worry, we don't need your help.

...and what the hell are you down in the dumps from? Not being in the World Series for the 7 time in 10 years? or not being able to have a chance at your 27th Championship? or not winning your 40th Pennant.

I am pretty sure you will get over it!

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Cadmonkey... heh heh..

up 2-0 and that ol' self doubt creeps closer to the front of mind of the SOX fan...

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Cadmonkey... heh heh..

up 2-0 and that ol' self doubt creeps closer to the front of mind of the SOX fan...

You're telling me. Up 2-0 and I'll still have to take a Xanex durring the game to calm my nerves.

I HATE OCTOBER BASEBALL! I CAN'T ENJOY IT LIKE THE REST OF THE FREE WORLD!

Amnorix
10-26-2004, 12:03 PM

There is no curse. The city of Chicago (with TWO teams) hasn't won dick in more years than the Red Sox, and they didn't trade Babe Fugging Ruth. There is NO FUGGING CURSE!

Frankly, about 50% of the reason I'd like the Red Sox to win this stupid WS is so that I NEVER HAVE TO LISTEN TO MORONS ON TV SPOUTING ABOUT THE STOOOOPID FUGGING CURSE EVER AGAIN!

(yes, I feel strongly about this. ) :)

Kraut
10-26-2004, 12:04 PM
...and what the hell are you down in the dumps from? Not being in the World Series for the 7 time in 10 years? or not being able to have a chance at your 27th Championship? or not winning your 40th Pennant.

I am pretty sure you will get over it!
Not winning is bad enough, but being part of the biggest choke in major league history is just too much :banghead:

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Not winning is bad enough, but being part of the biggest choke in major league history is just too much :banghead:

ehh, at least you made History ROFL

Kraut
10-26-2004, 12:10 PM
ehh, at least you made History ROFL
:shake: oh Hell ROFL

Amnorix
10-26-2004, 12:11 PM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm looking at home road splits for pitchers and see that Suppan is :

Home: 96.2 IP, 66K, 31 BB, 4.75 ERA, 6-8 W-L, 299 BAA, 799 OPS

Away: 91.1 IP, 44K, 34 BB, 3.55 ERA, 10-1 W-L (!), 226 BAA (!), 703 OPS

Those numbers show a stark contrast between the Suppan on the road and the one at home.

The home Suppan is the ugly step sister. Gads...

homey
10-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Yeap, he's been our road warrior all year but the last time he pitched he beat Roger Clemens at home. He was supposed to get clobbered.

Amnorix
10-26-2004, 12:24 PM
I'm looking at home road splits for pitchers and see that Suppan is :

Home: 96.2 IP, 66K, 31 BB, 4.75 ERA, 6-8 W-L, 299 BAA, 799 OPS

Away: 91.1 IP, 44K, 34 BB, 3.55 ERA, 10-1 W-L (!), 226 BAA (!), 703 OPS

Those numbers show a stark contrast between the Suppan on the road and the one at home.

The home Suppan is the ugly step sister. Gads...

Probably balanced off to a degree by the Red Sox being a considerably better team at home than on the road, in terms of hitting.

Really, though, it's all up to Pedro tonight. If he rises to the occassion, it's hard to see how the Cards can win. If not, then it will be alot like game 1, probably -- a slugfest.

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Probably balanced off to a degree by the Red Sox being a considerably better team at home than on the road, in terms of hitting.

Really, though, it's all up to Pedro tonight. If he rises to the occassion, it's hard to see how the Cards can win. If not, then it will be alot like game 1, probably -- a slugfest.
I would rather face a fading Pedro than Roger Clemons and a 20 game winner. We seemed to do okay against those two when everyone had us losing. Maybe we have a chance tonight.:hmmm:

Kraut
10-26-2004, 12:35 PM
With Pedro's first World Series start and coming off of the rest that he has gotten I would not want to face him tonight. But trust me I hope he gets rocked!

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Well I just hope that LaRussa has a UN motorcade getting his boys to the park on time. Those long waits in traffic are just hell on gozillionaires.

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Well I just hope that LaRussa has a UN motorcade getting his boys to the park on time. Those long waits in traffic are just hell on gozillionaires.

JEEZ, Can't you just back off a little on the hate....
:BLVD:a little. PBJa little :bong: a little and give it a ZZZ

Amnorix
10-26-2004, 01:13 PM
I would rather face a fading Pedro than Roger Clemons and a 20 game winner. We seemed to do okay against those two when everyone had us losing. Maybe we have a chance tonight.:hmmm:

Clemens had a terrific year, especially for his age.

Pedro had his worst year in a Red Sox uniform, but his performance was very uneven. Some nights he was terrific, and other times he was just average. I'm hoping for a terrific night. Although he's NEVER played like it was 1999 again this year, when he's at his best he's still a top, top pitcher.

We'll see in a few hours what we'll get.

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Clemens had a terrific year, especially for his age.

Pedro had his worst year in a Red Sox uniform, but his performance was very uneven. Some nights he was terrific, and other times he was just average. I'm hoping for a terrific night. Although he's NEVER played like it was 1999 again this year, when he's at his best he's still a top, top pitcher.

We'll see in a few hours what we'll get.

Roger had a great year, age or not. I hate saying that but its true.

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 01:41 PM

Balanced out even more in that during the season, the Loo hit much better on the road than at home (sorry, that stat may be referred to as 'hating'). Also, Busch is historically a pitchers park. It's more of hitters park now than it ever has been. But still, it would qualify as a nuetral park.

Damn I remeber the days when balls just never, ever left the stadium unless they were jolted down the lines.
I'm trying to remember the year that the Giants Jeff Leonard blasted 2 shots to straight away CF in a playoff game. (remember "Flaps Down"?) That was unheard of. You had to crush the ball to take it out of there in CF.

I agree it's all about Pedro tonight....

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 01:43 PM
JEEZ, Can't you just back off a little on the hate....
:BLVD:a little. PBJa little :bong: a little and give it a ZZZ

WTF? This is the 2nd time you've belly ached about the supposed haters.

LaRussa deserves every bit of shiot that gets laid on his underachieving, overhyped, lawyer azz. IN Houston, he cried cause the scoreboard showed Tavarez screaming like a mad man after his meltdown. Then the Sanders phantom elbow, then the hotel crying game.

Other than him, what Card have I bagged on? Nary a one.

I've posted some stats and that's it. Since those stats don't jive with the common Cards fiction of the day (Ortiz will kill the SOX with his glove, yet he's a better % fielder lifetime than Pujols) you pull out the hating Card.

Dude, you're turning into one of the all time criers on this board.

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 01:47 PM
The way I see it, the way it should go is tonights the night to decide the series....If we can get to pedro tonight we should win the next two and then maybe Schilling can't make the ankle work or even if he does we would have another shot at Pedro.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dissing Pedro. He is capable of going out there and shutting us down. He's just not the intimidator he once was. We all have to get old and maybe this is his time...

ROYC75
10-26-2004, 01:49 PM
I want to see the Sox win tonight.

Then I want the Cards to win 3 in a row, ala Sox vs NY.

Then for game 7, I don't care who wins. I want the game to go for 450 innings. Thats just less than 5 full days, every run for run matched, until the 450 inning. I want to see the fans leave, come back, leave, come back over and over , again and again.

I want these poor basturds to remember a series for eternity. I want to see both teams, players, and fans suffer the agony of a long ass game.

BTW, again, I don't care who wins.

This isn't asking to much , is it ?

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Balanced out even more in that during the season, the Loo hit much better on the road than at home (sorry, that stat may be referred to as 'hating'). Also, Busch is historically a pitchers park. It's more of hitters park now than it ever has been. But still, it would qualify as a nuetral park.

Damn I remeber the days when balls just never, ever left the stadium unless they were jolted down the lines.
I'm trying to remember the year that the Giants Jeff Leonard blasted 2 shots to straight away CF in a playoff game. (remember "Flaps Down"?) That was unheard of. You had to crush the ball to take it out of there in CF.

I agree it's all about Pedro tonight....

Back then guys weren't as big and strong as they are now. They don't need to crush it to get it out, plus the whole "Juiced ball" theory...

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 01:57 PM
WTF? This is the 2nd time you've belly ached about the supposed haters.

LaRussa deserves every bit of shiot that gets laid on his underachieving, overhyped, lawyer azz. IN Houston, he cried cause the scoreboard showed Tavarez screaming like a mad man after his meltdown. Then the Sanders phantom elbow, then the hotel crying game.

Other than him, what Card have I bagged on? Nary a one.

I've posted some stats and that's it. Since those stats don't jive with the common Cards fiction of the day (Ortiz will kill the SOX with his glove, yet he's a better % fielder lifetime than Pujols) you pull out the hating Card.

Dude, you're turning into one of the all time criers on this board.

I was specifically addressing you not the BB. You are the main hater. Taking a shot at the cards every chance you get. I call you on it and I'm a crier? Huh? You are going to have to pick something else out, bub.:shake:

I'm firmly in the no excuses Cardinal fan base. Been that way since 1985. My posts have reflected that. so I feel you are way off base on this and if you don't feel the same way then please keep your opinion to yourself, give me neg rep or lets take this conversation to pm.

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Suppan vs the Red Sox lineup (lifetime) .294

*Warning*

These are only statistics. They are not meant to be inflammatory, unlike anything written about Tony LaRussa

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/bvsp?pitcherId=3294

Amnorix
10-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Keep in mind that Pedro should only be in the game for 90-100 pitches. It's pretty much proven that at this point in his career, his effectiveness quickly goes downhill after 100 pitches.

So here's hoping to 95 pitches to get through 7, and then Timlin/Embree/Arroyo/Foulke (in whatever combination), to get the last 6 outs and push the Cards to the brink of elimination.

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Yeah, shoot I'd swap you straight up Suppan for Pedro in thie series but for whatever reason Suppan is hot this post season. He just has average major league "stuff". Why is he having success? Go figure it oue and bottle it and get rich. Just remember us little people....

tk13
10-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Keep in mind that Pedro should only be in the game for 90-100 pitches. It's pretty much proven that at this point in his career, his effectiveness quickly goes downhill after 100 pitches.

So here's hoping to 95 pitches to get through 7, and then Timlin/Embree/Arroyo/Foulke (in whatever combination), to get the last 6 outs and push the Cards to the brink of elimination.
Heck, that last start he had against the Yankees, on his 100th pitch, the Yankees went from down 2-1 to having a 4-2 lead.... it's amazing how he instantly melts down at that point.

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 02:11 PM

Downhill? At pitch 100 he becomes useless. Game 5 vs. the Yankees McCarver kept showing the stat the his OBP before pitch 100 was like .190 and after that it was like .300. On pitch 100 Jeter hits a 3 run triple.

ROYC75
10-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Heck, nobody like my idea, go figure !

Rock Chalk Jayhawks !

cadmonkey
10-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Heck, nobody like my idea, go figure !

Rock Chalk Jayhawks !

Huh? What idea?

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 02:16 PM
I was specifically addressing you not the BB. You are the main hater. Taking a shot at the cards every chance you get. I call you on it and I'm a crier? Huh? You are going to have to pick something else out, bub.:shake:

I'm firmly in the no excuses Cardinal fan base. Been that way since 1985. My posts have reflected that. so I feel you are way off base on this and if you don't feel the same way then please keep your opinion to yourself, give me neg rep or lets take this conversation to pm.

Three days ago I think Endelt was the main hater. I believe you belly ached about him too.

I'll ask you a second time. What Cardinal - other than LaRussa - have I bagged on?

The answer? None.

Neg rep? I don't use the rep feature. At all. PM? WTF? I have no need to send you a PM. You act as though this is some personal vendetta against you.

[Bolding mine] Let's get something straight. I'll never, ever tell you to keep your opinions to yourself and then I'll never tell you to STFU.

Sound reasonable?

*[Edited for content: Could be taken as haterism EDIT/]

Now, I have not posted in any WS thread that you've been in because I figured I didn't want to stomp on the glass slipper you seem to be wearing during the post season and bloody your sensitive feet.

Lastly, 90% of what I posted in this thread has been about baseball and specifically the stats that go with it. None of which you've responded to.

So forgive me if your protest falls on deaf ears.

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Good ESPN article on the difference between Cardinal and Red Sox fans:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/fallclassic/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=1909695

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 03:47 PM
ESPN Article:Here are five things the Cardinals can do to get this series turned around:

1. Take advantage of the pitching advantage they have in Game 3, when Jeff Suppan (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5454) faces Pedro Martinez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4875).

Yes, you read that right. Martinez may be earning $14.5 million more than Suppan, but it's the St. Louis starter, the guy who has been with four teams in the last three years, who carries the better head of steam into Tuesday night's game.

Martinez is 1-4 with a 7.23 ERA over his last seven outings, including three starts and one relief appearance in the playoffs. Suppan, meanwhile, has gone 3-2 with a 4.01 ERA in his last five starts, including three in the playoffs. The last time on the hill, he outlasted Roger Clemens (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3340) in Game 7 of the National League Championship Series.

While Suppan opened the playoffs as Tony La Russa's No. 4 starter, he is probably their best guy for a must-win game.

2. Begin making the Red Sox pay for their fielding mistakes.

Given the number of unearned runs Boston allowed during the regular season -- 94, the third-most in the majors -- it isn't likely to return to the nearly flawless play exhibited against Anaheim and the Yankees.

But so far the Cardinals have scored only two unearned runs in the innings in which the Red Sox have made their eight errors. Instead of demoralizing Boston, turning the errors into big innings, St. Louis is hitting .158 overall with men in scoring position. Those are numbers that will lead to defeat.

3. Get the ball in the air at Busch Stadium.

Traditionally a pitcher's park, Busch has become a launching pad in the playoffs. It has yielded 25 homers in six postseason games thus far, including one by Craig Biggio (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4217) on a swing so short it could have been made in a phone booth.

For whatever reason, the ball has been flying along the banks of the Mississippi. But the starting pitchers set to work for Boston -- Martinez, Derek Lowe (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5801) and Tim Wakefield (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4906) -- generally do a good job of getting ground balls. Martinez is the only one who has allowed more fly balls than grounders this season. All three must work hard to keep the ball on the ground.

The middle of the Cardinals' order has to come through. Albert Pujols (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6619), Scott Rolen (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5668) and Jim Edmonds (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5151) were a combined 4-for-23 with no homers and one RBI in the first two games, pulling the team average down to .237.

Maybe they were gassed after batting .370-9-22 against Houston. But it's time to break out the hittin' shoes.

4. Let Boston be the only team embarrassing itself in the pitcher's spot.

With National League rules in place, there will be no DH for the next three games. The Red Sox will move David Ortiz (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5909) to first, taking Kevin Millar (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5981) and his .297 batting average out of the lineup.

The Cardinals, who were at a disadvantage with So Taguchi (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6843) and Marlon Anderson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6101) playing because of the DH rule, should be more comfortable with their pitchers hitting.

La Russa put a lot of pressure on the back of Game 4 starter Jason Marquis (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6493). The manager said one of the considerations for starting Matt Morris (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5784) on three days' rest in Boston was to have Marquis bat in St. Louis. His .292 average during the regular season was the best among St. Louis' pitchers, stunning given his .096 average during four years with Atlanta.

Suppan entered this season a .259 career hitter, but batted .070, including an 0-for-44 slump at one point. Woody Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5025), who would start Game 5, is a .213 career hitter. The career averages of Boston's scheduled starters -- Martinez, .094; Lowe, .100, and Wakefield, 119.

La Russa would love to get some production from his bench. Roger Cedeno (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5428), John Mabry (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5215) and Anderson are a combined 6-for-7 in the playoffs.

5. Make Curt Schilling (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4267) go back to the mound.

Given the trouble Schilling had making his Game 2 start, and doubt expressed by Dr. Bill Morgan about performing the cut-and-paste procedure on his ankle another time, the anxiety level at Fenway would be off the charts on Saturday.

If Schilling could not start, manager Terry Francona would have to decide between starting Martinez on short rest or giving Bronson Arroyo (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6498) a look. That situation would be exacerbated if there was a rainout, which forecasts suggest is possible on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Red Sox survived five games in five days against the Yankees, but could they do it twice?

Miles
10-26-2004, 03:47 PM
There are some reports that there is a chance that tonights may get rained out. I sure hope this doesnt happen as I have been lookin foward to too much.

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 03:56 PM
There are some reports that there is a chance that tonights may get rained out. I sure hope this doesnt happen as I have been lookin foward to too much.

St. Louis's weather from Weather.com

5pmhttp://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/4.gifT-Storms
69°F69°F60%65°F87%From ESE 9 mph
Sunset 6:07 pm
Wed, October 27
Morning Commute
Evening Commute
6pmhttp://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/12.gifRain
67°F67°F60%66°F97%From ESE 8 mph

Wed, October 27
Morning Commute
Evening Commute
7pmhttp://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/12.gifRain
66°F66°F60%66°F100%From ESE 8 mph

Wed, October 27
Morning Commute
Evening Commute
8pmhttp://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/12.gifRain
66°F66°F60%66°F100%From ESE 8 mph

Wed, October 27
Morning Commute
Evening Commute
9pmhttp://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/11.gifShowers
66°F66°F50%65°F97%From ESE 8 mph

Wed, October 27
Morning Commute
Evening Commute
10pmhttp://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/11.gifShowers
66°F66°F40%65°F97%From ESE 8 mph

Wed, October 27
Morning Commute
Evening Commute
11pmhttp://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/31/11.gifShowers
66°F

Bearcat
10-26-2004, 04:00 PM
You are the main hater.

Well, then.... guess I need to start posting more....

Here's to (hopefully) taking another step towards adding the Red Sox to the list of teams that have won more Championships in the last 20 years than the St. Louis Cardinals :toast:

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Well, then.... guess I need to start posting more....

Here's to (hopefully) taking another step towards adding the Red Sox to the list of teams that have won more Championships in the last 20 years than the St. Louis Cardinals :toast: You may be the main hater, but you aint the only one.

Go Sox. :thumb:

Demonpenz
10-26-2004, 04:18 PM
it's going to rain, this might play into the hands of the cards because the outfield of the sox resembles a slow pitch softball team

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 04:33 PM
It's only hatred directed towards the Cards that's unacceptable, right BRC? We all know everyone's allowed to hate on the Yankees.

Course, from what I've seen anyway, the resident Yanks fans don't cry, piss and moan about it. "Stop hating! Waaaah!" They just flip shit back. That's the way it goes.

It's a frickin' sports site. Everyone's got their favorite teams, and their teams they dislike with extreme prejudice. The only problem with the whole process is when someone gets a bucklet of sand lodged in their vagina because someone doesn't like their favorite team.

All that said.... F*ck St. Louis!

I'm not sure about this series, tho. I frickin' hate St. Louis... but, I don't want to live in a world where the BoSox or Cubs can win a world series. It's like destroying one of the constants of our universe.

Oh.... You hater.

I edited my post that had a similair thought, only it went something like this.
"If you don't like what's being posted, use the ignore function or push really hard on your tummy and force your testes back into your scrotum and be a man you whining gasbag."

But I edited it...

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Haha... just stumbled upon this. I guess TMQ is a woman.

Another gem from that article...

And in still other NFL news, as the Cowboys and Titans fade, can the Packers and Chiefs rebound? Both are burdened by losing records, yet both practically shook their stadiums with monster wins Sunday. Kansas City beat a division-leading opponent by 46 points, and did not try to run up the score -- the Chiefs passed only twice in the fourth quarter. Methinks we have not heard the last of Green Bay and Kansas City.

PBJ

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Yours is better.

*edit* Of course, you're too much of a F*CKING PUSSY to post it and stand by it.

:D

ROFL

Well I try not to upset the *edit very edit* delicate sensibilities of the loyal and true Redbird fans.

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 05:59 PM
ESPN Article:Here are five things the Cardinals can do to get this series turned around.

But so far the Cardinals have scored only two unearned runs in the innings in

Who banks on unearned runs?

Tim McCarver must have written this article.

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Go Sox?

Hater..

|Zach|
10-26-2004, 11:54 PM
http://www.whateversports.com/acatalog/plq85royals.jpg

Miles
10-27-2004, 12:04 AM
http://www.whateversports.com/acatalog/plq85royals.jpg

Playoff appearances since... http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/KCR/

Miles
10-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Playoff appearances are all that matters to you? You must be a Carl Peterson fan.

I want championships. The Royals have won a WS more recently than the Cards.

Damn that WS loss was reall hard to take when i was 5. Its almost as distant as the WS win the Cardinals won when when i was 2 which i dont remember a damn thing about.

Though i agree on playoff apperances meaning much less than WS championships I at least take some pleasure in watching a competative team, even though it regularly leads to disappointment. Much better than not waching my team in the postseason at all.

cadmonkey
10-27-2004, 07:02 AM
it's going to rain, this might play into the hands of the cards because the outfield of the sox resembles a slow pitch softball team

Well that slow pitch softball team is up 3-0 and atleast know how to run the bases!

BigRedChief
10-27-2004, 07:15 AM
Well that slow pitch softball team is up 3-0 and atleast know how to run the bases!

He's a friggin pitcher. But he should know what to do without being told. In little league I teach my players and they know without a doubt that on a ground ball to the right side you run on contact. No ifs ands or buts..take off and run hard....He says he heard no instead of go. That has happened to me on several occasions so it probably happen that way. I fixed the issue with my lille leaguers by saying "Run" instead of "go". Maybe I should let Larussa know of a strategy I figured out with little leaguers to avoid the problem. :hmmm:

Bearcat
10-27-2004, 08:00 AM
F*ck St. Louis!

....BoSox or Cubs....

I saw some random stat last night about Nomar, and started thinking about how much it would suck to be him right now.

Here's to an 11-0 Red Sox victory :toast:

....because if I see one more "it is/isn't in the Cards" or "knock your sox off" sign... :Lin:

cadmonkey
10-27-2004, 08:04 AM
He's a friggin pitcher. But he should know what to do without being told. In little league I teach my players and they know without a doubt that on a ground ball to the right side you run on contact. No ifs ands or buts..take off and run hard....He says he heard no instead of go. That has happened to me on several occasions so it probably happen that way. I fixed the issue with my lille leaguers by saying "Run" instead of "go". Maybe I should let Larussa know of a strategy I figured out with little leaguers to avoid the problem. :hmmm:

I know he is a pitcher, but as a pitcher, playing in the field when this situation goes against him on the mound, he SHOULD KNOW WHAT TO DO. If an AL pitcher did this its one thing, they don't run the bases ever. An NL pitcher doing this is inexcusable.

BigRedChief
10-27-2004, 08:22 AM
I know he is a pitcher, but as a pitcher, playing in the field when this situation goes against him on the mound, he SHOULD KNOW WHAT TO DO. If an AL pitcher did this its one thing, they don't run the bases ever. An NL pitcher doing this is inexcusable.

U right. No excuse. That was my point. That even my little leaguers know better.

Chief Henry
10-27-2004, 08:38 AM
The CARDINALS are CHOKING. I'm as Big a Cardinal fan as i am a Chief fan. I have no problem saying that the Cardinals are making the bad news bears look good.

Suppan looked like a fugging Little leager. What a dum a$$ and an
idiot. Walker didn't look much better. At least he had a reason to do what he was doing. Suppan and the cardinals are embarrising themselfs
and their fans.

:cuss:

ROYC75
10-27-2004, 08:41 AM
Cardinals / Yanks = chokers.

Demonpenz
10-27-2004, 09:31 AM
as i stated in this thread, the cards bats wouldn't be able to produce against the sox. I predicted a sweep by the red sox and i am sticking to it. Anyone that said they couldn't see the red sox winning this series easily hasn't seen the splits over the last couple years/

BigRedChief
10-27-2004, 09:45 AM
The CARDINALS are CHOKING. I'm as Big a Cardinal fan as i am a Chief fan. I have no problem saying that the Cardinals are making the bad news bears look good.

Suppan looked like a fugging Little leager. What a dum a$$ and an
idiot. Walker didn't look much better. At least he had a reason to do what he was doing. Suppan and the cardinals are embarrising themselfs
and their fans.

:cuss:

That was totally embarrasing I agree but also if the Cardinals would have won Game 1 all the talk would have been about Manny's dumb play.

when the season began even the biggest homer among us never expected us to make it to the World Series. We won 105 games and beat a damn good Houston team to make it to the series. Not a bad season. Only one team can win the World Series. We have 9 World Chmpionships to soothe the wounds of losing. The Red Sox have been waiting 86 years for a championship. Let them have their moment in the sun. They have earned it.:thumb:

cadmonkey
10-27-2004, 09:46 AM
as i stated in this thread, the cards bats wouldn't be able to produce against the sox. I predicted a sweep by the red sox and i am sticking to it. Anyone that said they couldn't see the red sox winning this series easily hasn't seen the splits over the last couple years/

Obviously this kid hasn't see it.......

http://www.baseballsbestfans.com

http://www.baseballsbestfans.com/worldseries.html

Demonpenz
10-27-2004, 11:54 PM
I say redsox dominate, the starting pitching for the cards come back to earth as big papi goes crazy
Red Sox sweep

like i have been jumping up and down about

Amnorix
10-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Obviously this kid hasn't see it.......

http://www.baseballsbestfans.com (http://www.baseballsbestfans.com/)

http://www.baseballsbestfans.com/worldseries.html
From the website:
LF - Reggie Sanders vs. Manny Ramirez Okay, Manny is probably the better player here but he can't catch a fly ball or run the bases like Reggie. Defense is half of the game, so it's a SLIGHT advantage to the Sox. (5-1 Cardinals)
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Ebolapox
10-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Kind of, but it would be like Chiefs fans waiting until Super Bowl 89 until you REALLY know what its like.

this is true--except we'd have the royals winning two of three world series' while they're at it--that's something I could live with (though I don't follow baseball like I do football)

-EB-

Ebolapox
10-28-2004, 08:15 AM
With Pedro's first World Series start and coming off of the rest that he has gotten I would not want to face him tonight. But trust me I hope he gets rocked!

good ole' hindsight... heh heh

-EB-