PDA

View Full Version : Will Derrick Thomas make the Hall of Fame in his first year? POLL

Dave Lane
10-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Well what do you think? I'm nervous because of all the other "Names" and the fact he's not here to help do PR for entry. I say yes what say you?

Mark M
10-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Not first ballot due to his poor playoff performances, but he will get in the next time he's up.

MM
~~:arrow:

Rain Man
10-22-2004, 01:11 PM
They'll put in five or six people per year, and I don't see five or six people who are better candidates than him. So yes - first ballot.

Phobia
10-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Not first ballot due to his poor playoff performances, but he will get in the next time he's up.

MM

There's that and all the competition he's up against this year. Extremely strong HOF candidates this year on their first ballot. If DT makes it his first year, I'll never complain of a media bias again.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
10-22-2004, 01:23 PM
"his poor playoff performances"?
wtf
i remember some poor chief performances.
refresh my memory on the poor playoff performances that Derrick specifically had.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
10-22-2004, 01:25 PM
he could probably make it in just on the games he had against the damn dirty donkeys.

Mark M
10-22-2004, 01:30 PM
There's that and all the competition he's up against this year. Extremely strong HOF candidates this year on their first ballot. If DT makes it his first year, I'll never complain of a media bias again.

This is a very strong class of candidates.

Although if Greene gets in there before DT, it'll only be because of stats. Which is the same reason Otis Taylor isn't in there yet (since so few voters seem to realize that Otis was one of the first big, strong receivers in the NFL. They guy was easily the best route runner of his time.)

MM

Scaga
10-22-2004, 01:32 PM
If DT makes it his first year, I'll never complain of a media bias again.

:BS:

Mark M
10-22-2004, 01:34 PM
"his poor playoff performances"?
wtf
i remember some poor chief performances.
refresh my memory on the poor playoff performances that Derrick specifically had.He was barely a factor in any of their playoff games.

http://wildbillschiefs.com/features/dttribute_careerstats.html

In the ten playoff games he was in, he only got sacks in 4 of them (7.5 total). The numbers from the '93 season are good because they played in three games -- but even then he only had three.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm a huge DT fan. But the stats show that he was pretty much a non-factor, with '93 being the exception.

MM

Blitz
10-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Who else in this class if before DT?
Marino...yeah
Young...yeah
Irvin...yeah
Greene...toss up
then you got DT..he has to go in first-ballot.

kansas hawk
10-22-2004, 01:56 PM
that make little sense. if greene is a toss up then so is DT. i do not think he will get in, but in a year or 2 he will.

chief52
10-22-2004, 01:59 PM
that make little sense. if greene is a toss up then so is DT. i do not think he will get in, but in a year or 2 he will.

I hope you are right. I definitely do not feel he will not go in this time. I hope he gets in in a few years.

Rain Man
10-22-2004, 02:13 PM
He was barely a factor in any of their playoff games.

In the ten playoff games he was in, he only got sacks in 4 of them (7.5 total). The numbers from the '93 season are good because they played in three games -- but even then he only had three.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm a huge DT fan. But the stats show that he was pretty much a non-factor, with '93 being the exception.

MM

I agree that DT wasn't really a difference maker in any of our playoff games, but at the same time an average of 12 sacks per 16 games against playoff teams can't be considered bad.

Mark M
10-22-2004, 02:15 PM
I agree that DT wasn't really a difference maker in any of our playoff games, but at the same time an average of 12 sacks per 16 games against playoff teams can't be considered bad.

Not at all.

Just saying that, to some HoF voters, stepping up in the playoffs is what separates one player from another when two are close. The one with lesser stats will have to wait.

MM

Megbert
10-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Watching SportsCenter last night when they mentioned the HOF they showed clips of Marino, Irvin, Young and one of the coaches but no DT. Bastitches

tk13
10-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Watching SportsCenter last night when they mentioned the HOF they showed clips of Marino, Irvin, Young and one of the coaches but no DT. Bastitches
Yeah, but they did include his name on the "crawl" across the bottom of the screen, which they didn't do with any other player besides those other three guys. Marino, Irvin, Young, DT were the only players mentioned, so hopefully in terms of ESPN-hype, he's 4th in line, so he has a chance.

Chiefnj
10-22-2004, 02:52 PM
He was barely a factor in any of their playoff games.

MM

The link to the stats is interesting because I saw another site list his total tackles as 315 and with 19 passes defensed. A huge difference from the Wild Bill page.

Chiefnj
10-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Who else in this class if before DT?
Marino...yeah
Young...yeah
Irvin...yeah
Greene...toss up
then you got DT..he has to go in first-ballot.

6 people go in total, not just out of this years class. You are going up against over 150 players including guys like Art Monk who were finalists last year but just fell short. If you think there are 3 who are ahead of him from this class alone, then his odds are extremely slim of beating out everyone else. A few "old timers" always make it in.

Mark M
10-22-2004, 03:12 PM
The link to the stats is interesting because I saw another site list his total tackles as 315 and with 19 passes defensed. A huge difference from the Wild Bill page.

Well, I will admit that I used those stats because it was the first I found. :D

Also, tackle stats can vary depending on where they are gotten since they are done by the teams. Some sites will have different numbers.

MM

Blitz
10-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Seriously though, if you can't make it in the first-time you shouldnt be allowed to get into the Hall of Fame. THey shouldn't have a rule where only 6 get in. Look at baseball, their HOF is a joke...players get inducted 40 years after their marginal playing career is over.

ChiefsCountry
10-22-2004, 06:11 PM

Irvin and Young work for ESPN.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
10-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Derrick may not have had alot "DT" like playoff games, but i surely wouldn't call them poor performances.

I say he gets in first ballot.

Also said the chiefs would win last week. I've used up all my good luck charms and it's only the 6th week. oh well maybe this week.

KcMizzou
10-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Also said the chiefs would win last week. I've used up all my good luck charms and it's only the 6th week. oh well maybe this week. I've decided the football gods don't really give a sh*t what I do...

Unless, of course, I bet on the Chiefs.

Dave Lane
10-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Interesting looks like most people think not this year...

Dave