PDA

View Full Version : Seattle school bans Halloween to avoid offending witches

tk13
10-22-2004, 04:13 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/196371_spookban22.html?source=rss

Puyallup schools ban Halloween festivities

By DEBORAH BACH
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

There will be no kiddie costume parade, no classroom candy handouts this year in Puyallup's public schools.

The district put the kibosh on all Halloween festivities during school hours, enforcing a policy that's been in place for several years but is being applied for the first time to Oct. 31 celebrations.

District officials say the ban is largely a matter of religious sensitivity -- to Wiccans.

Assistant Superintendent Tony Apostle advised Puyallup principals in a memo last week that Halloween costumes and parties are now banned. Pumpkins and cornstalks are fine, he said, but witches, black cats or "similar decorations that are intended to frighten or scare individuals" are not.

Halloween is a religious holiday for Wiccans, the memo noted, and its celebration in mainstream culture has generated unsavory images that might offend real-life witches.

"Building administrators should not tolerate such inappropriate stereotyping (images such as witches on flying brooms, stirring caldrons, casting spells, or with long noses and pointed hats)," Apostle's memo states.

But one Wiccan leader was cynical about the school district's motivation.

Pete Davis, pastor of Aquarian Tabernacle Church in tiny Index, west of Stevens Pass, suggests that the ban is a thinly veiled attempt to banish a holiday seen by some Christians as an evil festival.

Davis said the ancient Celtic holiday of Samh'ain, which traditionally marked the last harvest of the year, has been misinterpreted by some as a celebration of "Samhain" -- supposedly a satanic god of the dead.

"The religious right has for years been trying to put an end to any Halloween celebrations," he said.

Wiccans -- who practice a pagan, earth-based religion -- are used to the stereotypes accompanying Halloween, Davis said.

"It's something we're not exactly excited about -- the evil witch with the green face -- but it's part of our culture, and it's never going to go away."

District spokeswoman Karen Hansen said Puyallup schools moved away from observing religious holidays years ago, switching from Christmas concerts to "winter festivals" and other secular celebrations.

Halloween was a holiday with "some wiggle room," Hansen said, and decisions about recognizing it were left to schools. Hansen knew of only one -- Maplewood Elementary -- that paid homage to trick-or-treaters with a costume parade every year.

But as the district reviewed its instructional programs going into the school year, administrators felt that the push for greater academic achievement left little room for Halloween frivolity. Besides, Hansen said, costumes are a distraction for students.

"Their focus becomes partying, candy, trick-or-treating," she said.

Seattle Public Schools has no official policy on Halloween celebrations, but spokeswoman Patti Spencer said many schools have replaced the holiday with "harvest celebrations" and other observances.

"In many of our schools we have quite a few students whose families don't celebrate the traditional Halloween," she said. "So we want to move toward things that are more inclusive."

A Puyallup parent, Holly Cockerham, said while her third-grade daughter had fun wearing her Sleeping Beauty costume to school last year, she's not overly disappointed about the new restriction.

"They're not losing Halloween. They're still going trick-or-treating," she said. "I don't think it's that big of an issue myself."

Saulbadguy
10-22-2004, 04:19 PM
If you would read the entire article, the main point of banning halloween parties was because they took away from valuable education time, of course the part about offending witches got the most play.

Of course, noone talked about offending satanists when little kids dress up like devils..:D

Saulbadguy
10-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Personally I think most Wiccans are just attention whores.

Duck Dog
10-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Yeah, Seattle is a known bastion for Christians.

philfree
10-22-2004, 04:44 PM
:hmmm: I don't ever remember getting candy at school for Halloween. I'll have to ask my daughter if that goes on at her school. Do they hand out candy at schools in the KC area for Halloween? To me this is just so not news of any value. WTF?

PhilFree :arrow:

Eleazar
10-22-2004, 04:54 PM
You'd think these people would like their 'art' being celebrated. :shrug:

KcMizzou
10-22-2004, 05:29 PM
My kids' scool doesnt celebrate Halloween. (I couldn't get them to say why..) It blew me away when I found out. They replaced it with a week full of themed days like "crazy socks day" and "backwards day":rolleyes: On the actual holiday they can bring candy to share with the class, but they don't get to dress up, and there are no decorations or anything.

Complete BS, IMO. What's the harm in a bunch of 2nd graders doing the little costume parade?

:shake:

Hydrae
10-22-2004, 05:33 PM
My kids' scool doesnt celebrate Halloween. (I couldn't get them to say why..) It blew me away when I found out. They replaced it with a week full of themed days like "crazy socks day" and "backwards day":rolleyes: On the actual holiday they can bring candy to share with the class, but they don't get to dress up, and there are no decorations or anything.

Complete BS, IMO. What's the harm in a bunch of 2nd graders doing the little costume parade?

:shake:

I know some of this is due to not wanting those kids from poor families to feel slighted when they don't have a costume or one not bought at a store. This is usually one of the main reasons schools use to try for uniforms also.

Now get in line and act like everyone else! Until you are an adult and then you are encouraged to think outside the box. Of course most people didn't even realize they were in the same box as everyone else. :banghead:

Fairplay
10-22-2004, 05:37 PM
I had a female boss that was a witch. And yes she had a nick name that rhymed with witch too. I say get rid of them.

"It's something we're not exactly excited about -- the evil witch with the green face -- but it's part of our culture, and it's never going to go away."

Yep, I never thought she would go away.

KcMizzou
10-22-2004, 05:39 PM
I know some of this is due to not wanting those kids from poor families to feel slighted when they don't have a costume or one not bought at a store. That's a little more understandable.. but I still think it's kinda silly...

I remember when my little sister was around 8... she wore a flannel shirt, bib overalls, a trucker hat, painted on whiskers, etc... she went as "grandpa". She actually won a costume contest. It's easy to make a costume without spending anything.

Now if the kids parents just dont care enough to bother... that's a different story...

philfree
10-22-2004, 05:42 PM
"How do you know she's a witch?"

"She turned me into a newt!" "We'll I'm better now."

Fairplay
10-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Up til that point I thought you were just describing her everyday school attire.

That is fantastic!!!!!

Hydrae
10-22-2004, 05:44 PM
That's a little more understandable.. but I still think it's kinda silly...

I remember when my little sister was around 8... she wore a flannel shirt, bib overalls, a trucker hat, painted on whiskers, etc... she went as "grandpa". She actually won a costume contest. It's easy to make a costume without spending anything.

Now if the kids parents just dont care enough to bother... that's a different story...

I didn't say I agreed with that point of view. Heck, the old sheet with a couple of holes for your eyes still works also. Most kids would love to dress up in mom or dad's old clothes for Halloween. Probably even more so in front of all of their friends at school!

KcMizzou
10-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Up til that point I thought you were just describing her everyday school attire.
Heheh... well it was Weston. So you're probably not far off...

KcMizzou
10-22-2004, 05:49 PM
I didn't say I agreed with that point of view. Oh, I know.

Heck, the old sheet with a couple of holes for your eyes still works also.

Yep..

The old Charlie Brown costume.

Fairplay
10-22-2004, 05:51 PM
I didn't say I agreed with that point of view. Heck, the old sheet with a couple of holes for your eyes still works also. Most kids would love to dress up in mom or dad's old clothes for Halloween. Probably even more so in front of all of their friends at school!

I think dressing up as mom would get my ass kicked a few times when i went to school.

R&GHomer
10-22-2004, 06:04 PM
I remember dressing up for Halloween in Grade school, but never in Junior High, or High School.

Thig Lyfe
10-22-2004, 06:08 PM
That is f'ed up!

Snakey
10-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Meanwhile, schools let 10 year old girls dress like Hookers from Las Vegas.

bogie
10-22-2004, 07:06 PM
I did a witch once. She was fantastic! I spent the night in her trailer. She had a huge Elvis painted on black velvet hanging in her bedroom. She had a wood burning stove that for some reason in the middle of the night stopped drawing and smoke started coming in the the trailor. Fortunately the fire had burned low enough so I could grab the logs and throw them outside. I was sure it was satan pissed at her for sleeping with a mortal. The trailer was so full of smoke we had to go to a cheap hotel down the road which was nicer than her trailer. I've always wondered if there's a little witch or warlock running around out there that looks like me.

Thig Lyfe
10-22-2004, 07:07 PM
I did a witch once. She was fantastic! I spent the night in her trailer. She had a huge Elvis painted on black velvet hanging in her bedroom. She had a wood burning stove that for some reason in the middle of the night stopped drawing and smoke started coming in the the trailor. Fortunately the fire had burned low enough so I could grab the logs and throw them outside. I was sure it was satan pissed at her for sleeping with a mortal. The trailer was so full of smoke we had to go to a cheap hotel down the road which was nicer than her trailer. I've always wondered if there's a little witch or warlock running around out there that looks like me.

Next thing ya know, he'll talk about taking a shower with Danyielle Sargent!

BIG_DADDY
10-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Next thing ya know, he'll talk about taking a shower with Danyielle Sargent! ROFL

chiefsfan987
10-22-2004, 07:41 PM
I saw this on the news and had to do a double take as I was thinking WTF?

Gotta love us tree huggers :)

StcChief
10-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Truth hurts. Where is the stake to burn the witches.

alanm
10-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Since they are trying to do away with any type of religious holidays in the public schools. I expect them to show up to work on Christmas.

KcMizzou
10-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Since they are trying to do away with any type of religious holidays in the public schools. I expect them to show up to work on Christmas. Is Halloween a religious holiday for anyone?

I'm not givin' ya hell... I'm sure we agree.

Halloween is about kids having fun. Dressing up, getting candy, and getting the crap scared out of them.

I don't see any problem with dressing up and getting candy at school. I'll make sure mine get the crap scared out of them. :D

Lzen
10-22-2004, 10:42 PM
"How do you know she's a witch?"

"She turned me into a newt!" "We'll I'm better now."

Monty Python :thumb:

alanm
10-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Is Halloween a religious holiday for anyone?

I'm not givin' ya hell... I'm sure we agree.

Halloween is about kids having fun. Dressing up, getting candy, and getting the crap scared out of them.

I don't see any problem with dressing up and getting candy at school. I'll make sure mine get the crap scared out of them. :DNo, But their subjecting religious overtones to it. They've already taken away Christmas festivities out of alot of the public schools. Therefore I expect these boneheads to show up to work that day.

Phobia
10-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Meanwhile, schools let 10 year old girls dress like Hookers from Las Vegas.

Hey - I'm gonna create a special forum for you and First Down Elvis to rant. Cool?

KCWolfman
10-22-2004, 11:11 PM
I heard my ex already sent a thank you letter for the schoolboard's understanding.

stevieray
10-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Hey - I'm gonna create a special forum for you and First Down Elvis to rant. Cool?

Look! I'm tom cash!

Thig Lyfe
10-23-2004, 09:49 AM
I heard my ex already sent a thank you letter for the schoolboard's understanding.

ROFL Burn!