PDA

View Full Version : I know its a bit worn....but is it the players or the system?

C-Mac
10-24-2004, 12:51 PM
A little rep for Gun. I dont care about the "nay sayers", Gunther is the biggest and reason for the difference in this defense.
grob would not have this defense any where near this good.

Deberg_1990
10-24-2004, 12:54 PM
I think its safe to say its a combonation of both. GRob is a crap coach made even worse by the bad to mediorce players we have on this team. Gunther is just getting these guys to play with more passion and agression. Most of them are still very mediorce though....hopefully we can upgrade before next season.

KCJohnny
10-24-2004, 03:28 PM
I don't see how anyone could conclude that its anything BUT Cunningham. These are the samre players, some who underachieved under Robinson, some who have been around since Marty was here, most who were just not a cohesive unit before Cunningham. I think its pretty clear that Gun's is the ATTACKING defense while G-Rob's was the softer react type D. This D still has a long way to go but it now has the right guy evaluating talent, the right scheme, sound fundamentals, and most of all the RIGHT ATTITUDE: Attack!!!!!

KCJ
:toast:

Hammock Parties
10-24-2004, 06:53 PM
IMO it is a bit of both. Goonther is fitting square players into square holes. Robinson was trying to force square players into round holes.

Jared Allen, Lional Dalton and Monty Beisel have had an effect as well. They either weren't here or didn't play much last year.

But still....GOOONTHAR!!! :D

C-Mac
10-24-2004, 07:45 PM
IMO it is a bit of both. Goonther is fitting square players into square holes. Robinson was trying to force square players into round holes.

Jared Allen, Lional Dalton and Monty Beisel have had an effect as well. They either weren't here or didn't play much last year.

But still....GOOONTHAR!!! :D

Its obvious that the players make the plays, but the new attitude and aggressiveness is atributed to Gun. Not to mention some great defensive play calling.

Deberg_1990
10-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Anybody watch the Texas Tech/Texas game last night? I only watched it for about 1 quarter, but what i saw was the Texas Defensive backs playing like 15 yards off the recievers of Tech........it made me cringe! brought back bad memories...

Garcia Bronco
10-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Well..when you look at what's taken place..and that..as far as I can tell...Gunther doesn't routinely drop DE's into coverage..combined with more aggression and better tackling...I think you have to conclude that's it was scheme and coaching along with the ability of said talent in Robinson's scheme

Bowser
10-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Well..when you look at what's taken place..and that..as far as I can tell...Gunther doesn't routinely drop DE's into coverage..combined with more aggression and better tackling...I think you have to conclude that's it was scheme and coaching along with the ability of said talent in Robinson's scheme

Are you saying Gunther realized Vonnie Holliday really couldn't cover going down the seam?

BRILLIANT!!!

suds79
10-24-2004, 08:15 PM
It's Gun.

He's getting pretty good play from a lot of average players for the most part.

No superstars on that D and Gun is getting it done.

He's done well.

And props to Gun to have the balls to pull McCleon and put in Bartee when he saw Dexter wasn't getting it done.

It was a good move because Dexter stinks and William just so happened to play the best game I've ever seen him play.

That's quite an upgrade of he can keep it up. :grovel:

Lzen
10-24-2004, 08:35 PM
I don't see how anyone could conclude that its anything BUT Cunningham. These are the samre players, some who underachieved under Robinson, some who have been around since Marty was here, most who were just not a cohesive unit before Cunningham. I think its pretty clear that Gun's is the ATTACKING defense while G-Rob's was the softer react type D. This D still has a long way to go but it now has the right guy evaluating talent, the right scheme, sound fundamentals, and most of all the RIGHT ATTITUDE: Attack!!!!!

KCJ
:toast:
Agreed. :thumb:

philfree
10-24-2004, 08:45 PM
It's Gun but this isn't quite the same group of guys on the field. Even though we didn't add any free agents Dalton is huge. And he's been a big help in the middle of the D line too! Jared Allen is a pass rushing monster. If he could keep up his current pace he'll have 20 sacks! I don't expect that but he should easly reach double digits.

PhilFree :arrow:

Coach
10-24-2004, 08:50 PM
I believe it's the scheme. We started off well but then we went on a decline last year.

This year, it's somewhat oppisite. I'd imagine that we'd be ranked somewhere betwen 10-15th in total defense whenever the stats get updated.

I also get the feeling that Gunther brings the attitude that G-Rob didn't have in him.

Chris Meck
10-24-2004, 08:59 PM
What Gun does (and has always done)is figure out what his players can do aggressively and put them in positions to do so. In this way, you can minimize a players' weak points and maximize their strengths. For instance: Jared Allen is a little light to be an everydown DE. However, he's got a serious motor as a pass rusher. By spotting him in and out (and particularly concentrating on getting him IN the game in passing situations) You can minimize his fatigue due to being beaten on by 300 lb. tackles in the running game, and maximize his effectiveness as a pass rusher.

Greg Robinson tried to make all of his players fit a predetermined scheme; one that required constant thought and reacting to the offense. This breeds timidity and confusion. It was especially apparent in the secondary, where the Warfield-type corner was ill suited to play the soft cover, break to the ball-type defense.

Warfield and Bartee were drafted to play Gun's style defense: smack the receiver in the mouth at the line, ride them out of their pattern, harass them all day. They're good sized, strong, and fast. I was VERY pleased to see the Bartee that I saw a bit of as a rookie- physical.

This defensive turnaround is ALL Gun.

Chris

chiefsfan1963
10-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Our D is good enough for this team to go all the way. Gunther was all we needed.

we would be at least 4-2 if our receiver corp had not been depleted at the beginning of the season.

boe-out
wilson-out
kenisson-hurt
morton-hurt
parker-hurt not able to play

also

welbourn needed time to upgrade his game playing with the best O line
in the league.

our D willl continue to improve and should not lose games for us down the stretch.

with our top receiver corp back near 100% and horn taking over for boe and parker filling in as 1st year rookie and possibly wilson in 6 weeks we may just pull this season off.
:thumb:

Hammock Parties
10-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Gunther was all we needed.
:

I disagree. Our D wouldn't be as good without Dalton or Allen.

Coach
10-24-2004, 11:26 PM
I disagree. Our D wouldn't be as good without Dalton or Allen.

I have to agree with you, since Dalton has became a force in the middle, and correct me if I am wrong, the Chiefs have gone 4 games w/o surrendering a 100 yard rusher.

Also bringing Allen in on 3rd down situations adds an dimension to our pass-rush.

el borracho
10-24-2004, 11:48 PM
No superstars on that D and Gun is getting it done.

If his current production continues Warfield goes to the probowl this year.

Hammock Parties
10-24-2004, 11:49 PM
I have to agree with you, since Dalton has became a force in the middle, and correct me if I am wrong, the Chiefs have gone 4 games w/o surrendering a 100 yard rusher.

Also bringing Allen in on 3rd down situations adds an dimension to our pass-rush.

Yeah, 4 games. The Jags and Falcons went over 100 total yards (barely) only because of QB scrambles.

Coach
10-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Yeah, 4 games. The Jags and Falcons went over 100 total yards (barely) only because of QB scrambles.

Well holding Mike Vick to 40 some yards is considered an huge victory for the Chiefs defense.

Is it safe to say that the d is added back to the _efense?

I say yes.

go bo
10-25-2004, 12:19 AM
Well holding Mike Vick to 40 some yards is considered an huge victory for the Chiefs defense.

Is it safe to say that the d is added back to the _efense?

I say yes.our d has played well for several games, and today they were magnificent...

but part of that was due to the stellar play of the o...

the d needs to keep improving, just like it has been doing...

but it is fun to watch, isn't it?

Fairplay
10-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Thats stupid to say one or the other. We needed a New d coordinator AND new d players in some postions. Anyone who thinks our defensive players we have currently are just dandy is on crack. Thats right! We are looking at playoffs. With our defense we can't go to the Superbowl with this d. One game does NOT define what our d is.

Garcia Bronco
10-25-2004, 12:56 AM
Do you think that the offensive success over the past two seasons led to a lack of urgency on the defensive side of the ball? I mean...if your O is putting up 30 a game...could that affect the motivation of your defense...look at the Colts....one of the worst defenses in the league...do you think it's in their minds that the offense will bail them out?

Nightfyre
10-25-2004, 01:01 AM
About the superstar comment earlier in the thread that i'm too lazy to go find. I disagree. I think that Wesley is a superstar in football and Warfield is definitely getting there. I also think you used to be able to call barber a superstar.

el borracho
10-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Do you think that the offensive success over the past two seasons led to a lack of urgency on the defensive side of the ball? I mean...if your O is putting up 30 a game...could that affect the motivation of your defense...look at the Colts....one of the worst defenses in the league...do you think it's in their minds that the offense will bail them out?

I would think that affects the decisions made at the top, such as GM and possibly some coaching decisions but not players so much. While defensive players might believe that the offense can/ should/ will bail them out, I doubt that they behave differently and intentionally test that belief.

el borracho
10-25-2004, 01:04 AM
I also think you used to be able to call barber a superstar.

Someone really needs to figure out what was happening in Philly that made Barber so productive. He is getting good line play this year and he has sucked.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2004, 01:05 AM
Someone really needs to figure out what was happening in Philly that made Barber so productive. He is getting good line play this year and he has sucked.

Barber has been OK. He's showing up in run defense at least. He saved a TD today by batting down that pass. Give him some props.

Nightfyre
10-25-2004, 01:07 AM
Barber has been OK. He's showing up in run defense at least. He saved a TD today by batting down that pass. Give him some props.
He's all we got.... :(