PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: Overheard at Arrowhead - Week 7

tk13
10-25-2004, 01:07 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/10006959.htm

Falcons' Mora tries to put on happy face after rout

JEFFREY FLANAGAN
OVERHEARD AT ARROWHEAD

This wasn't the best of weeks for Falcons coach Jim Mora, and this is a guy whose team was 5-1 before Sunday.

Mora got into a nasty dispute with two Atlanta reporters, one of whom called Mora an “idiot” during an argument after practice.

It got worse Sunday when Mora's Falcons disintegrated before his eyes in a 56-10 loss to the Chiefs.

“What can you say after something like that?” Mora said, forcing a smile. “My hat is off to the Chiefs and their crowd.”

But Mora hardly looked stunned. He was with the San Francisco 49ers in 1997 when they waltzed into Arrowhead riding a 10-game winning streak. And the Chiefs promptly pounded the 49ers 44-9.

“And here's the thing to remember about that year,” Mora said. “We went on to the NFC championship game.

“It was just one game back then, and it's just one game now. We still think we have a good football team.”

But are the Falcons really good, or was that 5-1 record a bit bloated by fortunate wins over Arizona (6-3), San Diego (21-20) and San Francisco (21-19)?

“We're a resilient bunch — I believe that,” Mora said. “We will bounce back.

“There's a lot of season left, and I'm not sure records are indicative of teams right now. This Kansas City team was not really a 1-4 team.”

Falcons linebacker Keith Brooking agreed.

“We knew that they were way better than their record,” he said. “There are teams around the league right now with bad records that are pretty good teams.”

And maybe vice versa.

Asked whether he had ever been involved in a game where a team rushed for eight touchdowns, an NFL record, Mora said, “Was that a record? Wow. I'm glad to be a part of history.”

Despite the beating, Mora found time during his postgame news conference to make an unsolicited campaign endorsement for former Falcons coach Dan Reeves.

“I'd just like to congratulate Dan on being nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame,” Mora said. “I think he'd be a great addition. And even though we lost, I'm proud to mention Dan. It would be great for him to make it and great for the Atlanta Falcons organization.”

Hmmm. Didn't Reeves coach somewhere else, too?

Sunday's thrashing must have seemed familiar to new Falcons defensive coordinator Ed Donatell.

It was Donatell who, while coaching the Packers' defense last season, watched the Chiefs pile up 482 yards of offense at Lambeau Field and rally from a 17-point deficit to win.

Sunday, Donatell still had no answers for the Chiefs and offensive coordinator Al Saunders as KC piled up 540 yards.

“They just got on a roll,” Donatell said. “And when teams do that in a place like this, it's hard to stop.

“It's ultimately my responsibility. It's my job to put guys in the right position, and I didn't do it today.”

The Falcons entered the game with the league's top rushing defense. But they were shredded for 271 yards on the ground.

“It wasn't about schemes or anything like that,” Brooking said. “We just got outplayed.”

Defensive tackle Ed Jasper said the Falcons were too often out of position.

“We're a gap-protect defense,” he said. “Everyone has to be accountable for their gap. And what happened in the second half is we got frustrated and left our gaps to make a play. Then you get in real trouble.”

Chiefs fans at the game may have noticed a familiar face on Kansas City's sideline — former Chief Marcus Spears.

Spears is now with the Houston Texans and reveled in the Texans' upset win here a few weeks ago. But Spears was back in town during the Texans' week off, supporting his friends and former teammates.

“It was great getting a win here, but I was glad to see them get their swagger back,” Spears said outside the Chiefs' locker room. “I got a lot of friends in there.”

All that was missing was Spears' familiar towel that he used to wave on the sideline during his days as a backup.

“Who's got that (towel) now?” he asked, laughing.