PDA

View Full Version : KC Defense is....

Coach
10-25-2004, 06:47 AM
9th overall in the NFL in total yards per game with 312.3.

7th overall in the NFL with a 32.4% 3rd down percent.

9th overall in the NFL with a 25.0% 4th down percent.

8th overall in the NFL in pass yards per game with 187.2.

6th overall in the NFL with QB Sacks.

24th overall in the NFL in rushing yards per game with 125.2

17th overall in the NFL in rushing TD's allowed with 5.

Tied 18th overall in the NFL in 20 or more yards allowed with 4.

26th overall in the NFL with scoring defense with a 23.7. *Although, it does include the 2 punt returns and the Houston INT. Taking away those 3 TD's, it would be 20.3, tied 16th in the NFL.*

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 06:53 AM
It's good to see Gunther making a difference.

ARROW2
10-25-2004, 06:57 AM
But but but....you kept the same players....Critics can suck my Vick!

Red Dawg
10-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Gun's presence has been felt. Don't tell me GR wasn't the problem anymore. Someone tell Madden to eat that stat. 9th! We would have won the SB last year.

BigRedChief
10-25-2004, 07:02 AM
Hey he even got Burntee to turn his head and look at the ball. :clap:

keg in kc
10-25-2004, 07:02 AM
I'll say the same thing I always say:26th overall in the NFL with scoring defense with a 23.7.That's the only stat that matters; all the others are window dressing. If we want to dig out of this hole we put ourselves in, we'll have to finish the season in the top 12 in scoring defense, which right now is anything under 18 points/game.

Last four games have been good (although only winning 2 is inexcusable...). Let's see it now against a high-powered offense, the kind that's torn us apart for years.

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 07:04 AM
But but but....you kept the same players....Critics can suck my Vick!
That's not to say we couldn't still have ATTEMPTED to improve the team. Hence the four losses out of six games.

Pants
10-25-2004, 07:05 AM
I'll say the same thing I always say:That's the only stat that matters; all the others are window dressing. If we want to dig out of this hole we put ourselves in, we'll have to finish the season in the top 12 in scoring defense, which right now is anything under 18 points/game.

Last four games have been good (although only winning 2 is inexcusable...). Let's see it now against a high-powered offense, the kind that's torn us apart for years.

It's called "Getting better under a new system as the season progresses". The stats are going to be skewed for the rest of the season because of the 1st few games. The D gave up 3 points yesterday... But keep doubting, I guess.

keg in kc
10-25-2004, 07:14 AM
Who said anything about "doubting"? Nothing I said was negative in any way.

BigRedChief
10-25-2004, 07:17 AM
We should have of at least tried to upgrade our defensive personnel during the off season. DV and King Carl have said that there intention was to resign their own players and not bring in new ones. Standing pat = falling behind in the NFL.

Gaz
10-25-2004, 07:18 AM
It is great to see the Defense reshaping itself in Gunther’s image. Attack the backfield. The performance yesterday was actually ahead of schedule, IMO. The D has improved significantly since the second semester of last season.

And it helps the D a lot when the O shows up.

xoxo~
Gaz
Going to count a record-setting day as “showing up.”

nmt1
10-25-2004, 07:24 AM
That's not to say we couldn't still have ATTEMPTED to improve the team. Hence the four losses out of six games.

There was an attempt made to improve the defense. They didn't do it the way you wanted it done so the attempt doesn't count, right?

Gaz
10-25-2004, 07:28 AM
The “did not even attempt to improve the Defense” drivel is fast approaching urban legend status.

It has been mindlessly repeated enough times that some gullible folks actually believe it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still mad at Carl for drafting Blackledge.

nmt1
10-25-2004, 07:31 AM
The “did not even attempt to improve the Defense” drivel is fast approaching urban legend status.

It has been mindlessly repeated enough times that some gullible folks actually believe it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still mad at Carl for drafting Blackledge.

Wasn't it Hitler that said something like, "If you tell a lie often enough, it will be eventually be accepted as truth"?

Gaz
10-25-2004, 07:35 AM
“A lie told often enough becomes the truth.”
Lenin.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has seen this credo embraced far too often.

homey
10-25-2004, 08:20 AM
KC defense is....

lucky Atlanta abandoned the bootleg and other misdirection plays after the first drive.

ARROW2
10-25-2004, 08:34 AM

Allen, Dalton, Siavii, Sapp plus the young players emerging in a better system.

HC_Chief
10-25-2004, 08:40 AM
I still would have let Hicks walk, added Trotter and Bobby Taylor (minimum)

This D is definitely better than that abortion last season... and the season before, but it's still not a 'good' D by any sense of the word. I'd say they're playing over their heads right now. Hopefully Gunther will have some say in who/what gets added/removed (personnel) next season.

Chiefnj
10-25-2004, 08:51 AM
The KC defense can force poor QB's into making mistakes and being ineffective. Grob tried to force those teams into making mistakes by confusing them with his chess match; Gunther forces them to make mistakes by pressuring and hitting them in the chops.

Against good quarterbacks, the jury is still out. The next few weeks will be telling.

King_Chief_Fan
10-25-2004, 09:01 AM
The KC defense can force poor QB's into making mistakes and being ineffective. Grob tried to force those teams into making mistakes by confusing them with his chess match; Gunther forces them to make mistakes by pressuring and hitting them in the chops.

Against good quarterbacks, the jury is still out. The next few weeks will be telling.

hard for me to see much promise when Leftwich pretty much carved his way 69 yards down the field for the winning touchdown against the Chiefs. -- Dex could have been the problem.

Yesterday only served as hope.........as you say, the next few weeks will see how for real this has gotten.

Pants
10-25-2004, 09:04 AM
BUZZ KILLERS!!!!! :rolleyes:

Hoover
10-25-2004, 09:06 AM
I loved that Bartee Blitz...

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 09:10 AM
There was an attempt made to improve the defense. They didn't do it the way you wanted it done so the attempt doesn't count, right?
A feeble attempt may be an attempt, but it's still feeble. I'm glad you are ecstatic with the defense and you can see no wrong in them, but I am a little more objective. So we did everything we could to improve the defense in your eyes?

Wishing some would see it's okay to love your team and still see the chinks in the armor.

cash1000
10-25-2004, 09:11 AM
BEWARE, they look good against crappy offenses! And I don't know if you noticed there are a lot of crappy offenses in the NFL!! Atlanta's offense sucks. Atlanta scored 6 points against Arizona I think? We'll find out next week against Indianapolis just how much they've improved.

Chiefnj
10-25-2004, 09:17 AM
What I found most telling from yesterdays game was Vick doesn't like contact. After his 30 something yard scramble the Falcons called for a rollout and he bootlegged toward the endzone. (I believe) Barber was situated between the 1 yard line and the endzone and as Vick was running full speed toward him I thought "momentum is definately going to carry him in for the TD" but instead of making contact Vick purposefully ran out of bounds at the 1 1/2. I thought that even Elvis Grbac would have lowered his head and went for the 6.

nmt1
10-25-2004, 09:41 AM
A feeble attempt may be an attempt, but it's still feeble. I'm glad you are ecstatic with the defense and you can see no wrong in them, but I am a little more objective. So we did everything we could to improve the defense in your eyes?

Wishing some would see it's okay to love your team and still see the chinks in the armor.

You...objective??? That's laughable. You have so much invested in your dislike for Carl Peterson that you can't see the forest for the trees. It's Whitlockesque.
We could debate whether or not the Chiefs attempt to improve the defense was feeble or whatever but you can't say they didn't try to improve. The Chiefs have a philosophy of going with what they know and they stuck to it. They did sign Dalton as an afterthought and he's been a pleasant surprise. The most important move of all was hiring Gunther Cunningham. The defense has been changed but it's not happening overnight. An objective person would realize that it takes a little time for things to change. Peterson, Vermiel and Cunningham all believed that our players were/are better than they played last year. They are playing better. It remains to be seen if they are overachieving or beggining to play up to their potential.
So if you want to argue that the players aren't talented enough, fine. If you want to argue hiring Cunningham, signing Dalton and drafting a few players isn't enough, fine, but don't even try to tell me or anyone else that they made no attempt to improve the defense.
Additionally, you can try to put words in my mouth all you want but the truth is you have no idea what I think about our defense other than what I've typed above. I've not questioned your love for the team only your perspective on the offseason.

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 10:04 AM
You...objective??? That's laughable. You have so much invested in your dislike for Carl Peterson that you can't see the forest for the trees. It's Whitlockesque.
We could debate whether or not the Chiefs attempt to improve the defense was feeble or whatever but you can't say they didn't try to improve. The Chiefs have a philosophy of going with what they know and they stuck to it. They did sign Dalton as an afterthought and he's been a pleasant surprise. The most important move of all was hiring Gunther Cunningham. The defense has been changed but it's not happening overnight. An objective person would realize that it takes a little time for things to change. Peterson, Vermiel and Cunningham all believed that our players were/are better than they played last year. They are playing better. It remains to be seen if they are overachieving or beggining to play up to their potential.
So if you want to argue that the players aren't talented enough, fine. If you want to argue hiring Cunningham, signing Dalton and drafting a few players isn't enough, fine, but don't even try to tell me or anyone else that they made no attempt to improve the defense.
Additionally, you can try to put words in my mouth all you want but the truth is you have no idea what I think about our defense other than what I've typed above. I've not questioned your love for the team only your perspective on the offseason.
Fair enough, but Carl hasn't delivered on his promise of delivering a Super Bowl victory in over 16 years. 16 ****ing years!!!! I'm generally optimistic and until this year I was supportive of the organization, but just because I question the moves and motives of the front office doesn't mean I'm not objective. It's okay to question the FO, especially when you are paying thousands of dollars a year. I wish you could see that and realize that just because somebody doesn't see things the same way you do, doesn't make them wrong, it just means they differ in opinion. You seem obsessed with calling me out for some reason, it must be because you actually approve of the Chiefs FO moves or you just like arguing and that's fine, but I don't approve and I'm entitled my opinion. I will continue to bang that drum and you can either ignore me or deal with it, but I will continue to do as I choose without seeking your approval.
I think the Chiefs could have gone the extra mile and they didn't. Like I said I'm glad you approve of every move they make, but I don't and I refuse to just take the 3rd highest ticket price shoved down my throat without voicing my opinion on my disappoint of the lack of FA moves. I realize there isn't much I can do to change the FO, but that doesn't mean I should become a lemming and buy into all the hype their marketing department comes up with. Again, the Chiefs have won 2 out of 6 games, so until proven otherwise (which means winning the Super Bowl), it looks like Carl's plan was weak or are you going to suggest otherwise?

bogie
10-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Fair enough, but Carl hasn't delivered on his promise of delivering a Super Bowl victory in over 16 years. 16 ****ing years!!!! I'm generally optimistic and until this year I was supportive of the organization, but just because I question the moves and motives of the front office doesn't mean I'm not objective. It's okay to question the FO, especially when you are paying thousands of dollars a year. I wish you could see that and realize that just because somebody doesn't see things the same way you do, doesn't make them wrong, it just means they differ in opinion. You seem obsessed with calling me out for some reason, it must be because you actually approve of the Chiefs FO moves or you just like arguing and that's fine, but I don't approve and I'm entitled my opinion. I will continue to bang that drum and you can either ignore me or deal with it, but I will continue to do as I choose without seeking your approval.
I think the Chiefs could have gone the extra mile and they didn't. Like I said I'm glad you approve of every move they make, but I don't and I refuse to just take the 3rd highest ticket price shoved down my throat without voicing my opinion on my disappoint of the lack of FA moves. I realize there isn't much I can do to change the FO, but that doesn't mean I should become a lemming and buy into all the hype their marketing department comes up with. Again, the Chiefs have won 2 out of 6 games, so until proven otherwise (which means winning the Super Bowl), it looks like Carl's plan was weak or are you going to suggest otherwise?

Are you saying that a SB win is the only thing that will convince you that the FO made the correct decision with improving their D? So, you're saying that had they made better (your) FA choices, we would be going to the SB? Man I don't know what you do for a living, but why the hell aren't you working in the Chief's front office? Finally, we would have someone that knows all the answers.

nmt1
10-25-2004, 10:26 AM

You can do or say whatever you want. I'm not telling you to be quiet or accept things. If you don't agree with what happened in the offseason, that's your business.
You said the Chiefs made no attempt to improve when they clearly did and I'm going to call you on it until you be honest and say you didn't agree with what they did. You could even come out and say what they could've done differently. What exactly does "Go the extra mile" mean?
I'd say they didn't have a lot of choices and they stuck with their plan instead of paying players they weren't familiar with a lot of money that would put us back in cap hell in a couple of years. Why is it so wrong to evaluate your own players and decide to keep them over someone who they consider an unproven commodity? A lot of other teams do it, why can't the Chiefs? Seems to me that Warren Sapp and Ted Washington haven't helped the Raiders out too terrible much. Grant Wistrom and Bobby Tayler haven't been able to keep the Seahawks from losing several straight games. Yeah, I know those teams have better records but they've also spent a hell of a lot of money for guys that haven't helped them. They'll be paying for it for a while too.
I'm not gonna come on here and pretend I know better than Carl Peterson or Dick Vermiel or anyone else who works for the Chiefs when it comes to player evaluation or cap space or how to run a NFL team. You can say I'm buying into hype from the Chiefs marketing department but I'll answer you're buying into hype from the media.

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 10:27 AM
Are you saying that a SB win is the only thing that will convince you that the FO made the correct decision with improving their D? So, you're saying that had they made better (your) FA choices, we would be going to the SB? Man I don't know what you do for a living, but why the hell aren't you working in the Chief's front office? Finally, we would have someone that knows all the answers.
Nothing like being sarcastic to attempt to discredit someone. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out where we needed help and who has actually been a good player in the league. Are you honestly telling me that Antoine Winfield wouldn't have helped our team? Jevon Kearse? Terrell Owens? Bobby Taylor? Robaire Smith? Surely your not serving that crap, are you?

KingPriest2
10-25-2004, 10:29 AM
I'll say the same thing I always say:That's the only stat that matters; all the others are window dressing. If we want to dig out of this hole we put ourselves in, we'll have to finish the season in the top 12 in scoring defense, which right now is anything under 18 points/game.

That is the only stat that matters

But one stat that is often overlooked is the yards per play. The Chiefs are 18th in 5.5 yards per play. The top Ds are in the lower 4s

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 10:38 AM
You can do or say whatever you want. I'm not telling you to be quiet or accept things. If you don't agree with what happened in the offseason, that's your business.
You said the Chiefs made no attempt to improve when they clearly did and I'm going to call you on it until you be honest and say you didn't agree with what they did. You could even come out and say what they could've done differently. What exactly does "Go the extra mile" mean?
I'd say they didn't have a lot of choices and they stuck with their plan instead of paying players they weren't familiar with a lot of money that would put us back in cap hell in a couple of years. Why is it so wrong to evaluate your own players and decide to keep them over someone who they consider an unproven commodity? A lot of other teams do it, why can't the Chiefs? Seems to me that Warren Sapp and Ted Washington haven't helped the Raiders out too terrible much. Grant Wistrom and Bobby Tayler haven't been able to keep the Seahawks from losing several straight games. Yeah, I know those teams have better records but they've also spent a hell of a lot of money for guys that haven't helped them. They'll be paying for it for a while too.
I'm not gonna come on here and pretend I know better than Carl Peterson or Dick Vermiel or anyone else who works for the Chiefs when it comes to player evaluation or cap space or how to run a NFL team. You can say I'm buying into hype from the Chiefs marketing department but I'll answer you're buying into hype from the media.
Fair enough. I appreciate you being civil about this. I should have said the Chiefs made little effort in improving the team. When you have had one of the worst defenses 3 years running, signing a back-up DT isn't what I would consider going the extra mile, especially considering how much cap room we supposedly have. Going the extra mile would be going after PROVEN players who are considered one of the best players at their position, Dalton ,although he's playing well isn't considered a premeir DT in the league, just ask Denver and Washington.

Yes, we drafted and signed rookies, but ALL teams do that, so I wouldn't consider that as us doing anymore than any other team in the league.

Also for every Raiders team, there is an Eagles or Patriots team that has sucess in FA. Hell, even the Chiefs have had sucess in FA. Priest Holmes ring a bell?

RINGLEADER
10-25-2004, 10:40 AM
I was a big doubter - especially after the first two games when the defense didn't do squat. But when you see players like Lionel Dalton and, gulp, William Bartee step up you have to be impressed. This week will be a big challenge - not expecting them to shut Indy out (or even hold them under 24 points), but as long as they can get the win I'll be a happy camper.

nmt1
10-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Nothing like being sarcastic to attempt to discredit someone. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out where we needed help and who has actually been a good player in the league. Are you honestly telling me that Antoine Winfield wouldn't have helped our team? Jevon Kearse? Terrell Owens? Bobby Taylor? Robaire Smith? Surely your not serving that crap, are you?

Are Winfield and Taylor really playing that much better than Warfield? Yeah, they're probably better than McCleon but McCleon was our best DB last year. You would've needed a crystal ball to see that we should've replaced him.
I'll take Junior Siavii and Lionel Dalton over Robaire Smith.
I'll take Jared Allen over Kearse and before you go off on me for saying Allen is better than Kearse, I didn't say that. I'd rather have a rookie draft pick of our own who's playing decent and has great potential than an oft injured player with a $16 million signing bonus.

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Are Winfield and Taylor really playing that much better than Warfield? Yeah, they're probably better than McCleon but McCleon was our best DB last year. You would've needed a crystal ball to see that we should've replaced him.
I'll take Junior Siavii and Lionel Dalton over Robaire Smith.
I'll take Jared Allen over Kearse and before you go off on me for saying Allen is better than Kearse, I didn't say that. I'd rather have a rookie draft pick of our own who's playing decent and has great potential than an oft injured player with a $16 million signing bonus.
Warfield was already here and signed so that point is moot.
Referring to McCleon, yes he played well last year, but there was alot of people, myself included, that were concerned with corner because we all KNEW that Gunther prefers bigger, PHYSICAL corners. Besides that when McCleon was originally brought in, it was to be the nickleback. So it was easy to see the writing on the wall. I also brought up in the off-season that MLB was a concern and was laughed at when I brought up drafting Jonathan Vilma was a good idea. I am sorry if this offends, but I sure as hell didn't need a crystal ball to determine that and I won't apologize for seeing what many that follow football could clearly see. I get the impression that you think that I think I'm all-knowing, that is hardly the case, but I do have a good idea of our weaknesses and how we could have addressed those issues.

nmt1
10-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Fair enough. I appreciate you being civil about this. I should have said the Chiefs made little effort in improving the team. When you have had one of the worst defenses 3 years running, signing a back-up DT isn't what I would consider going the extra mile, especially considering how much cap room we supposedly have. Going the extra mile would be going after PROVEN players who are considered one of the best players at their position, Dalton ,although he's playing well isn't considered a premeir DT in the league, just ask Denver and Washington.

Yes, we drafted and signed rookies, but ALL teams do that, so I wouldn't consider that as us doing anymore than any other team in the league.

Also for every Raiders team, there is an Eagles or Patriots team that has sucess in FA. Hell, even the Chiefs have had sucess in FA. Priest Holmes ring a bell?

We may have signed Dalton to be a backup but as things have worked out, the best players are on the field. He's not a premier DT but he's been playing a lot better over the last six games than he played in his seasons at Denver and Washinton. Dalton has been a great pickup.
Here's the rub. Those players that were available were proven to their previous team but that doesn't mean they are going to continue to perform at the same level. A free agent is no more of a guarentee than a draft pick. Look at our own roster. Johnnie Morton is a prime example. I was excited about Morton but he's obviously not the same player he was when he was playing with Barry Sanders and Herman Moore. You can point out all the teams that have been successful with free agency and I can point out just as many busts. It's no where near an exact science.
I'd say the Patriots have been successful moreso because of their drafts than anything else. Which one of the free agents that the Patriots signed in the last few years have they paid a $14-16 million bonus too?
Priest Holmes was a great pickup, maybe the best of all time but even we didn't know what we were getting when we signed him. Heck, there were some on this board that said they'd be sick if we paid him more than the Raiders paid Charlie Garner.

nmt1
10-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Warfield was already here and signed so that point is moot.
Referring to McCleon, yes he played well last year, but there was alot of people, myself included, that were concerned with corner because we all KNEW that Gunther prefers bigger, PHYSICAL corners. Besides that when McCleon was originally brought in, it was to be the nickleback. So it was easy to see the writing on the wall. I also brought up in the off-season that MLB was a concern and was laughed at when I brought up drafting Jonathan Vilma was a good idea. I am sorry if this offends, but I sure as hell didn't need a crystal ball to determine that and I won't apologize for seeing what many that follow football could clearly see. I get the impression that you think that I think I'm all-knowing, that is hardly the case, but I do have a good idea of our weaknesses and how we could have addressed those issues.

You miss my point on Warfield. He was one of our own and, yes, we didn't sign him this past offseason but we did sign him. We stuck to our philosophy and it's worked at least for now.
Regarding McCleon, didn't Gunther come out and say during the preseason that McCleon would be fine? IIRC, Gunther seemed to think McCleon was a better player than he had anticipated.
I didn't laugh at you about Vilma. He's most likely going to be a good player but they were counting on Maz coming back. Yeah many will say that Maz isn't fast enough or whatever but didn't the Pats try to sign him away from us a few years ago? We weren't going to draft a MLB anyway because we just spent a pick on Mitchell. Vermiel doesn't seem to be as eager to give up on him as some on this board do and, again, I'll bow to Vermiel's judgement on that.
I don't think you think you're all knowing. I'm not accusing you of anything at all.

bogie
10-25-2004, 11:15 AM

I apologize for the sarcasm. This thread I thought was discussing the improvement of the D. I don't think anyone can dispute that our D has improved. The fact that it has not improved fast enough for some people in my opinion is rediculous. I cannot say that handling the FA differently would have improved the D more, or faster. Too many variables. I can say for a fact that our D has improved. I believe that the decision to fire Robinson and bring in Cunningham was an excellent decision. I do believe that the problems in the past were not the talent but the scheme. I believe the choice made by the front office were correct and the players and Cunningham are proving it.

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 11:17 AM
We may have signed Dalton to be a backup but as things have worked out, the best players are on the field. He's not a premier DT but he's been playing a lot better over the last six games than he played in his seasons at Denver and Washinton. Dalton has been a great pickup.
Here's the rub. Those players that were available were proven to their previous team but that doesn't mean they are going to continue to perform at the same level. A free agent is no more of a guarentee than a draft pick. Look at our own roster. Johnnie Morton is a prime example. I was excited about Morton but he's obviously not the same player he was when he was playing with Barry Sanders and Herman Moore. You can point out all the teams that have been successful with free agency and I can point out just as many busts. It's no where near an exact science.
I'd say the Patriots have been successful moreso because of their drafts than anything else. Which one of the free agents that the Patriots signed in the last few years have they paid a $14-16 million bonus too?
Priest Holmes was a great pickup, maybe the best of all time but even we didn't know what we were getting when we signed him. Heck, there were some on this board that said they'd be sick if we paid him more than the Raiders paid Charlie Garner.

The point is, it's fairly easy to determine that Corey Dillon is one of the better backs in the league. It's also easy to see that Morton wouldn't have the same impact for the Chiefs as he did with the Lions because he was a no. 2 receiver behind Herman Moore, some expected a true number one WR. We've gotten out of Morton exactly what I expected out of him.

The Patriots have been sucessful because of the draft AND their FA pick-ups. Those that follow football knew Rodney Harrison was a hard-hitting safety that plays with an attitude. They also IDENTIFY a weakness and pursue players that help improve that weakness, IE Dillon.

Also-How much does Ty Law make? Saying they don't spend money with big signing bonuses on players is laughable.

Also do these FA's or trades ring a bell? Je-rod Cherry, David Patten, Tyrone Poole, Roman Phifer, Roosevelt Colvin, Keith Traylor, and Joe Andruzzi, they all were FAs or trades acquired by the Patriots.

Calcountry
10-25-2004, 11:41 AM
9th overall in the NFL in total yards per game with 312.3.

7th overall in the NFL with a 32.4% 3rd down percent.

9th overall in the NFL with a 25.0% 4th down percent.

8th overall in the NFL in pass yards per game with 187.2.

6th overall in the NFL with QB Sacks.

24th overall in the NFL in rushing yards per game with 125.2

17th overall in the NFL in rushing TD's allowed with 5.

Tied 18th overall in the NFL in 20 or more yards allowed with 4.

26th overall in the NFL with scoring defense with a 23.7. *Although, it does include the 2 punt returns and the Houston INT. Taking away those 3 TD's, it would be 20.3, tied 16th in the NFL.*
Gunther is back.
Cue the welcome back Carter music.

Welcome back, Welcome back , welcome back.

nmt1
10-25-2004, 11:44 AM
The point is, it's fairly easy to determine that Corey Dillon is one of the better backs in the league. It's also easy to see that Morton wouldn't have the same impact for the Chiefs as he did with the Lions because he was a no. 2 receiver behind Herman Moore, some expected a true number one WR. We've gotten out of Morton exactly what I expected out of him.

The Patriots have been sucessful because of the draft AND their FA pick-ups. Those that follow football knew Rodney Harrison was a hard-hitting safety that plays with an attitude. They also IDENTIFY a weakness and pursue players that help improve that weakness, IE Dillon.

Also-How much does Ty Law make? Saying they don't spend money with big signing bonuses on players is laughable.

Also do these FA's or trades ring a bell? Je-rod Cherry, David Patten, Tyrone Poole, Roman Phifer, Roosevelt Colvin, Keith Traylor, and Joe Andruzzi, they all were FAs or trades acquired by the Patriots.

First of all lets get our facts straight. Cory Dillon was aquired in a trade. He was not a free agent. He was a good pickup for them, I'm not arguing that.
If you made the call on Morton, congratulations. I thought he would be a decent receiver and he hasn't lived up to expectations.
Regarding Harrison, I could just as easily say that Harrison can play the kind of game he plays because he's part of a talented team. I don't think Harrison is any better than Wesley or Woods. He's at the end of his career as well. I'll take the younger players.
Ty Law is a Patriots draft pick. They signed their own player. Good for them.
All those guys you mention in your next paragraph didn't get multi-million dollar signing bonuses. They are all parts of a talented team but I wouldn't call them difference makers. Most of them are at the end of their careers too. Again, I'll take the younger guys.
The players many around here wanted this offseason got huge signing bonuses and most were overpaid. Look at Warren Sapp and Ted Washington. Doesn't make sense to me to pay those guys all that money for a couple of years of service, which isn't guarenteed to be good service either, and end up taking the huge cap hit in two or three years.

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 11:57 AM
First of all lets get our facts straight. Cory Dillon was aquired in a trade. He was not a free agent. He was a good pickup for them, I'm not arguing that.
If you made the call on Morton, congratulations. I thought he would be a decent receiver and he hasn't lived up to expectations.
Regarding Harrison, I could just as easily say that Harrison can play the kind of game he plays because he's part of a talented team. I don't think Harrison is any better than Wesley or Woods. He's at the end of his career as well. I'll take the younger players.
Ty Law is a Patriots draft pick. They signed their own player. Good for them.
All those guys you mention in your next paragraph didn't get multi-million dollar signing bonuses. They are all parts of a talented team but I wouldn't call them difference makers. Most of them are at the end of their careers too. Again, I'll take the younger guys.
The players many around here wanted this offseason got huge signing bonuses and most were overpaid. Look at Warren Sapp and Ted Washington. Doesn't make sense to me to pay those guys all that money for a couple of years of service, which isn't guarenteed to be good service either, and end up taking the huge cap hit in two or three years.

HELLO!!!! I said "do these FA's or TRADES ring a bell? So that negates your "First of all lets get our facts straight. Cory Dillon was aquired in a trade. He was not a free agent." I already acknowledged he was a trade prior to you mentioning this.

Now, you are assuming that all these players were just picked up in FA, which is clearly not the case. I have to draw that conclusion when you say "Most of them are at the end of their careers too." If they have been playing for a few years for the Pats, that still had some life left in them, when they were signed. Sure SOME are at the end of their careers NOW, but most teams don't let YOUNG SUPERSTARS go in FA, now do they? Also, didn't realize Woods was so YOUNG like you implied with this statement "Most of them are at the end of their careers too. Again, I'll take the younger guys."

I'll give you they probably didn't spend excessive amounts in signing bonuses in FA, but the point is/was they make moves in FA. In fact, they even made moves in FA after WINNING the Super Bowl, which is the whole point.

chiefz
10-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Coach, is there anywhere that you don't post? =)

P.S. Nice sig... lol

Uncle Jesse
10-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Other than having "skills" at each position, a defense 's 2nd biggest asset is CONFIDENCE, these guys needed it badly, and yesterday will sure build some for this much criticized D--I thought our linebackers looked lightning fast, and I didnt see any arm taackling yesterady...real solid tackling by everybody....bend dont break goal line stand was nice too

chiefz
10-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Other than having "skills" at each position, a defense 's 2nd biggest asset is CONFIDENCE, these guys needed it badly, and yesterday will sure build some for this much criticized D--I thought our linebackers looked lightning fast, and I didnt see any arm taackling yesterady...real solid tackling by everybody....bend dont break goal line stand was nice too

I saw a couple of ankle tackles while the defenders were falling down that we got very lucky on but for the most part it was much better.