PDA

View Full Version : Bartee...

Gaz
10-25-2004, 07:29 AM
Looks to me like Bartee is a good fit for Gunther’s scheme.

Time to axe the Bartee smiley, folks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Happy for a young man who passed his test of fire.

Chiefnj
10-25-2004, 07:32 AM
Why do I have an ugly feeling that there will a reinstatement of the Bartee smiley after the Colts game?

cookster50
10-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Why do I have an ugly feeling that there will a reinstatement of the Bartee smiley after the Colts game?

I have the same fears.

CosmicPal
10-25-2004, 07:35 AM

Because even though Bartee looked "good" out there, he benefited from a strong pass rush and a weak group of recievers.

Bwana
10-25-2004, 07:37 AM
He did look great yesterday and I also agree, the Colts game will be a good test to see how far along he is.

teedubya
10-25-2004, 07:40 AM

cuz you're a pessimASS

the Talking Can
10-25-2004, 07:40 AM
yeah, lets wait till the Colts leave town

headsnap
10-25-2004, 07:41 AM
the smilie is the REASON bartee is smokin'!!!! Bartee

Gaz
10-25-2004, 07:44 AM
the smilie is the REASON bartee is smokin'!!!! Bartee

Why are you posting instead of making me a wallpaper?

xoxo~
Gaz
NEEDS his wallpaper.

Mark M
10-25-2004, 07:44 AM
Gaz--
You are trying to draw conclusions from an incomplete data set.

Let's wait a few more games before removing the Burntee smilie.

MM
~~Just trying to help :)

Gaz
10-25-2004, 07:46 AM
If we have to put the smiley back after the Colts game, so be it.

But he deserves to have his name back in the meantime.

xoxo~
Gaz
Willing to concede that it might be a vacation, rather than retirement.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2004, 07:47 AM
Can we at least take Bill Callahans smily off?

headsnap
10-25-2004, 07:47 AM
Why are you posting instead of making me a wallpaper?

xoxo~
Gaz
NEEDS his wallpaper.

I'm at work, and I can't work on the wallpaper here. It is just about done though, just gotta put a couple more pics in it.

It will be done this evening...

Gaz
10-25-2004, 07:49 AM
...It will be done this evening...

I will try to exercise some patience.

xoxo~
Gaz
Jonesing really bad.

Otter
10-25-2004, 08:10 AM
Wise men once said that getting to the opposing QB willl do wonders for the cornerbacks.

I wasn't sure Vick was going to make it off the field under his own power before the game ended.

Gaz
10-25-2004, 08:12 AM
My personal favorite sack was when Allen grabbed Vick’s leg. Vick tried to pull away and Allen twisted Vick’s leg and threw him to the ground.

All the other CRUSHINGS were great, too.

xoxo~
Gaz
Almost, almost got enough QB CRUSHAGE yesterday.

KCTitus
10-25-2004, 08:14 AM
B@rtee played well...both of his pass defenses almost resulted in INT's, actually one did, but B@rtee didnt get it.

Sure it's only one game and the QB was rattled, but B@rtee was on his man tight and turned to find the ball in both cases.

I'll take that as an encouraging sign, no matter how many caveats people want to attach to it.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2004, 08:20 AM
I hope Bill gets an INT next sunday...he needs one.

HC_Chief
10-25-2004, 08:23 AM
He finally figured out that he needs to turn his head & look for the ball when the receiver does. That's the thing that was holding him back. :thumb:

the Talking Can
10-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Bartee tackled well yesterday. He wrapped up and drove through his man....a major improvement over McDieon.

Chris Meck
10-25-2004, 09:43 AM
I'll grant that Vick is young and inexperienced. I will not grant that the Atlanta receiving corps is lousy.

Peerless Price is not a lousy receiver, for example. Crumpler had more catches and yards going into the game than Gonzalez.

The Chiefs D-Line is indeed helping the corners, but that's as it should be.

Chris

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Looks to me like Bartee is a good fit for Gunther’s scheme.

Time to axe the Bartee smiley, folks.

xoxo~
Gaz

Replace it with McCleon.

morphius
10-25-2004, 09:54 AM
The most important thing is that his confidence has to be soaring after that game, and thats a very important thing for a CB. The thing that sucks is that we WILL give up some big plays next week.

Brock
10-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Planet personnel experts proven WRONG again.

shakesthecat
10-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Planet personnel experts proven WRONG again.

Their arms must to too sore to type today, due to patting themselves on the back all last week.

jspchief
10-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Regardless of the pass rush, Bartee did his job the few times he was tested. That pass that he defended in the endzone would have been a TD against McCleon. Every team we've played has run it successfully. I already knew Bartee would be better then Dex against the run, and now I believe he's likely better against the pass as well.

I'm all for giving Bartee a break from the smiley, in the name of Mojo. In a season that hasn't given us much to smile about so far, I'm ready to give props to those that have earned it. Bartee got his shot and did his job.

2bikemike
10-25-2004, 10:27 AM
Bartee tackled well yesterday. He wrapped up and drove through his man....a major improvement over McDieon.

I have noticed that Bartee was tackling well on Special teams whenever he has played including last year. I am about sick and tired of seeing guys half ass a tackle. Wrap up and drop the fuggers.

philfree
10-25-2004, 10:27 AM
Vick iks Bar-tees Bitch!

Dartgod
10-25-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm at work, and I can't work on the wallpaper here. It is just about done though, just gotta put a couple more pics in it.

It will be done this evening...
You need to quit your job and get me.....er, Gaz his wallpaper.

Straight, No Chaser
10-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Gaz--
You are trying to draw conclusions from an incomplete data set.

Let's wait a few more games before removing the Burntee smilie.

MM
~~Just trying to help :)

Not sure what you mean, however, would you rather have McCleon's "data set"?

---->

Cormac
10-25-2004, 10:51 AM
B@rtee was awesome yesterday. He'll give up big plays from time to time - but what corner doesn't. His coverage skills are way above average, IMO, and often result in coverage sacks. The only guy open at any stage yesterday was Crumpler a few times. The WRs were smothered almost the entire game. It was great to see B@rtee take a big step towards becoming a quality NFL CB.

The Bad Guy
10-25-2004, 10:53 AM
I'll grant that Vick is young and inexperienced. I will not grant that the Atlanta receiving corps is lousy.

Peerless Price is not a lousy receiver, for example. Crumpler had more catches and yards going into the game than Gonzalez.

The Chiefs D-Line is indeed helping the corners, but that's as it should be.

Chris

Price had one good year playing with Eric Moulds. He's done diddily shit since he left Buffalo.

Him and Dez White are one of the worst starting duos in the NFL.

bringbackmarty
10-25-2004, 10:57 AM
It is too soon to see if william the burnt is the real deal. I concede at this point that he is probably better than MCleon, and his benching has done him some good. But we are facing a totally different offense which features perhaps the best arm in the game, and one of the best wideouts in the game. They are also coming off of a tough loss at home. The Burntee smile is arguably the most popular and technologically sarchastic applet we have. Do we really want to give up our best weapon before game time on sunday when we are sure to use for at least a couple of plays, regardless of who wins?

Mark M
10-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Not sure what you mean, however, would you rather have McCleon's "data set"?

---->

:LOL:

I'm not saying that I want McPasson to start. Just saying that I'll wait for a few more games before annointing B@rtee as a true #2 CB.

The game yesterday was promising, as was his performance in Dallas in the preseason. The guy's always had the physical ability to play CB, just not the mental aspect.

If he plays just as well against Indy, then I'll be impressed.

MM
~~:arrow:

Straight, No Chaser
10-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Gaz

Looks to me like is a good fit for Gunther’s scheme.

Time to axe the smiley, folks.

xoxo~
Gaz

Replace it with McCleon.

Split the difference and give "McCleon" this icon:

Gaz
10-25-2004, 11:32 AM
I am just saying that Bartee’s performance on Sunday earned his name back.

If he stinks up the place against Indianapolis, re-install the smiley.

xoxo~
Gaz
Giving the guy credit for a good game.

KCTitus
10-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Him and Dez White are one of the worst starting duos in the NFL.

Hey! I thought KC had one of the worst duos in the NFL.

Dartgod
10-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Hey! I thought KC had one of the worst duos in the NFL.
One would think that this goes against the CP lexicon, but remember if we are talking about a team we soundly thrashed then we can proclaim them the worst <insert position or group> in the league for the purpose of diminishing the Chiefs results for a given day.

chiefz
10-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Bartee fits the Gunther Cunningham style of defense to a T.

Having two big physical corners that can bump receivers at the line to slow them down and give the pass rush time to develop is essential in an attack style aggressive defense, as is being big an physical enough to jump for the ball against a big physical receiver when one gets tossed up to avoid a sack.

All these things are great indeed, but pressure on the QB is a requirement. Bartee is not a cover corner and if we are not able to get pressure on Manning he will pick us apart methodically.

Logical
10-25-2004, 11:54 AM
One would think that this goes against the CP lexicon, but remember if we are talking about a team we soundly thrashed then we can proclaim them the worst in the league for the purpose of diminishing the Chiefs results for a given day.

I believe this quote can be used a primary example of

Lexicon Logic ROFL

Gaz
10-25-2004, 11:54 AM
One would think that this goes against the CP lexicon, but remember if we are talking about a team we soundly thrashed then we can proclaim them the worst <insert position or group> in the league for the purpose of diminishing the Chiefs results for a given day.

There is an almost-mathematical clarity to Chiefs-bashing that simply takes my breath away.

xoxo~
Gaz
Convinced time after time by these dazzling arguments.

KCTitus
10-25-2004, 12:02 PM
I see Dartgod is working on his Masters in Genious (chiefsplanet spelling)

KCTitus
10-25-2004, 12:10 PM
I believe this quote can be used a primary example of

Lexicon Logic ROFL

LOL...it is funny isnt it, but The Lexicon is a portrayal of the genious (chiefsplanet spelling) logic and not the other way around. But you are right...it's hilarious how twisted the logic must be to say these things.

:thumb:

donkhater
10-25-2004, 12:39 PM
WB has always tackled well. Athletically, he is the perfect size for a CB. But, like his pass defense, you have to turn your head to see if is a run or not.

chiefz
10-25-2004, 12:43 PM
WB has always tackled well. Athletically, he is the perfect size for a CB. But, like his pass defense, you have to turn your head to see if is a run or not.

Even at Oklahoma Bartee was a project guy at corner, very talented athletically but also very raw.

Size and atheletic ability are two things you really can't teach, however, sometimes skill is something you can't either... lol

Mark M
10-25-2004, 12:44 PM
One would think that this goes against the CP lexicon, but remember if we are talking about a team we soundly thrashed then we can proclaim them the worst in the league for the purpose of diminishing the Chiefs results for a given day.

Your intelligence is only superceded by your ignorance.

(monkey bangs gong)

MM
~~:)

Hammock Parties
10-25-2004, 01:53 PM
My personal favorite sack was when Allen grabbed Vick’s leg. Vick tried to pull away and Allen twisted Vick’s leg and threw him to the ground.

All the other CRUSHINGS were great, too.

xoxo~
Gaz
Almost, almost got enough QB CRUSHAGE yesterday.

My Chiefsplanet week isn't complete without Gaz rambling on about crushing QBs. I was looking for this post.

xoxo~
GoChiefs/UserName/JBret/MeatPeeker/Fag/Mr. T-Rex/BonoRules

Was thinking of Gaz when the Chiefs CRUSHED the PENCIL-NECK.

Rick
10-25-2004, 02:01 PM

Very true. Did you happen to see him turn his head in the endzone? He really did have a great day.

Lzen
10-25-2004, 02:19 PM
I agree with the Gazmeister here. Bar tee has looked solid all year, including preseason. Sure, he has struggled in the past. But remember that he was under Knobinson for 3 years and cut him a bit of slack. He's much better suited for Gun's bump and run style of defense. And maybe, just maybe he's finally turned a corner(no pun intended). ;)

That being said, this Sunday will be a truer test. Not just for Wil Bar tee but the whole defense. Somehow I think Gunther will be prepared for this one. :fire:

Otter
10-25-2004, 04:03 PM
The mind starts to go when you get old...

Was B@rtee drafted by Gun?

jspchief
10-25-2004, 04:20 PM
yup

milkman
10-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Bartee fits the Gunther Cunningham style of defense to a T.

Having two big physical corners that can bump receivers at the line to slow them down and give the pass rush time to develop is essential in an attack style aggressive defense, as is being big an physical enough to jump for the ball against a big physical receiver when one gets tossed up to avoid a sack.

All these things are great indeed, but pressure on the QB is a requirement. Bartee is not a cover corner and if we are not able to get pressure on Manning he will pick us apart methodically.

I agree wholeheartedly with your 1st 2 paragraghs her, but not your 3rd.

I think Bar Tee is a cover corner. Always have.
His one issue has been his failure to turn his head, and I attribute that to his days as a safety in college, and to too damn many years in the schemes designed by Marty's little brother and Spinner.

I have been defending Bar Tee for years, repeatedly pointing out that that he and Warfield have been the victims of moronic coaches.
I've said over and over, and over, that these guys were drafted and converted from safeties to corners because of their physicality, then put in systems that never used that physicality.

They were used in systems that allowed teams to exploit their weakness, rather than utilizing their strength.

chiefz
10-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Bartee always played a more aggressive style of trying to intercept when he should have been covering/knocking down a pass and that causes him to get burned a lot.

While his instincts are good, the cover skill just doesn't seem to be there (at least not yet).

It wasn't there in Oklahoma and it isn't there now.

That is the only reason I say he isn't a cover corner.

Warrior5
10-26-2004, 07:38 AM
To cut through all the engineer lexicon and geek talk, I recommend returning B@rtee's name to him IF he passes the true test of the Colt Crucible next Sunday. He has to earn it.

...doesn't view the Felons as a true challenge.

nmt1
10-26-2004, 07:44 AM
I'd like to point folks over to the article written by Jonathan Rand.
Link (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=102294)
Granted, this one game doesn't make Bartee's career but maybe we should be patient.

Eleazar
10-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Bartee played well. I am rooting for the guy.

However, it was a crappy QB and one of the worst receiver duos in the NFL. Price is one of the most overrated wideouts there is, and White is a never-was. I hope that Bartee is ready to bring it this week.

This shows you IMO what a bunch of 'experts' we have here. Forever, the guy has been a pariah on this board and now all of a sudden he plays a good game and the board is ready to bronze his cleats and send them to Canton

Warrior5
10-26-2004, 07:57 AM
You sir, get a harumph from me.

I'm not bashing B@rtee in any way shape or form...on the contrary, I'm encouraged after yesterday. He did well against a mediocre offense.

But his crucible should be the offensive juggernaut Colts...if he holds his own against them, I'll be the first call for removal of his "scarlet" smiley.

chiefz
10-26-2004, 08:02 AM
I just hope people don't immediately turn on Bartee if the Colts have some success through the air.

Their offense is damned near impossible to stop, about all you can do is slow them down and try your best to outscore them.

Much like the Chiefs when we are rolling.

chiefz
10-26-2004, 08:03 AM
Oh yeah, McCleon will be a big key in this game at nickel also. The Colts have 3 VERY GOOD wideouts that they spread the ball around too consistantly.

milkman
10-27-2004, 07:31 AM
Bartee always played a more aggressive style of trying to intercept when he should have been covering/knocking down a pass and that causes him to get burned a lot.

While his instincts are good, the cover skill just doesn't seem to be there (at least not yet).

It wasn't there in Oklahoma and it isn't there now.

That is the only reason I say he isn't a cover corner.

We are on the same page regarding Bar Tee, we're just not on the same paragraph.
I would say that the cover skills are good, but his instincts are poor.

His failure to turn his head at the right time is the primary reason for his failure in the past.

But that's a coachable problem, and I think we are starting to see the improvement because of Gun's coaching.

Cormac
10-27-2004, 07:59 AM
We are on the same page regarding Bar Tee, we're just not on the same paragraph.
I would say that the cover skills are good, but his instincts are poor.

His failure to turn his head at the right time is the primary reason for his failure in the past.

But that's a coachable problem, and I think we are starting to see the improvement because of Gun's coaching.

I agree with this. B@rtee has excellent coverage skills IMO. His problems are with other aspects of the game.....like ball awareness, and completely unsuitable defensive schemes. I've always thought that opposing QBs are forced to hold the ball a little longer when B@rtee is in the game. I'm expecting him to have a "good" game next Sunday. He's not going to shut anyone down, but that's hardly to be expected when you're playing the Colts. Besides, in the last few weeks Morton has owned McAlister, and Chad Johnson has owned Champ Bailey. Does that mean they are bad corners? I think not.

Chris Meck
10-27-2004, 08:10 AM
When Bartee was a rookie (Gun was headcoach) they trotted him out in spots, and I liked what I saw.

He was tough in run support, a sure tackler, and smacked receivers off their routes. He had good size and good speed. I thought we were gonna have something there.

Then came G-Rob and the infamous 10 yard cushion. Receivers were allowed to run free. Bartee (and the other corners) were forced to play soft and try to break to the ball. Immediate toast.

I will submit to you, my fellow fans, that James Hasty couldn't be effective in that sort of coverage scheme. James Hasty's forte was being nasty with the receiver from the snap.

Now, Deion Sanders in his prime could play G-Rob's scheme perfectly. Deion was never a physical corner. He relied on superior speed and awareness.

I think that Bartee CAN play the bump'n'run; furthermore, it's what he was drafted for. (Warfield too, for that matter.)

Chris

milkman
10-27-2004, 08:13 AM
When Bartee was a rookie (Gun was headcoach) they trotted him out in spots, and I liked what I saw.

He was tough in run support, a sure tackler, and smacked receivers off their routes. He had good size and good speed. I thought we were gonna have something there.

Then came G-Rob and the infamous 10 yard cushion. Receivers were allowed to run free. Bartee (and the other corners) were forced to play soft and try to break to the ball. Immediate toast.

I will submit to you, my fellow fans, that James Hasty couldn't be effective in that sort of coverage scheme. James Hasty's forte was being nasty with the receiver from the snap.

Now, Deion Sanders in his prime could play G-Rob's scheme perfectly. Deion was never a physical corner. He relied on superior speed and awareness.

I think that Bartee CAN play the bump'n'run; furthermore, it's what he was drafted for. (Warfield too, for that matter.)

Chris

Exactly what I have been saying for years.