PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't Kawika Mitchell won the starting MLB job back?

ceebz
10-25-2004, 01:48 PM
http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gsindifferent.gif Is he a bigger bust than Larry Johnson?

ROYC75
10-25-2004, 03:59 PM
No, he isn't good enough to beat Beisel out of it !

He was injured to start off with and Biesel picked it up pretty well, but neither are top notch , just doable.

Phobia
10-25-2004, 04:00 PM
He's no Rich Scanlon.

DeepSouth
10-25-2004, 04:01 PM
I was watching Biesel Sunday. The man plays sideline to sideline. He didn't seem too shabby to me. I think the guy might keep the job.

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 04:03 PM
I think Beisel is the most improved player and has done a better job than I anticipated.

Deberg_1990
10-25-2004, 04:03 PM
http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gsindifferent.gif Is he a bigger bust than Larry Johnson?

Good question..but its pretty telling that he hasnt been able to beat out Beisel who was a converted DE..what does that tell you about Mitchell???

jspchief
10-25-2004, 04:06 PM
Mitchell has had an opportunity to show that he sucks, LJ is still building the suspnse.

In regards to MLB, Mitchell just isn't that good. KC still uses him in goaline situations, and the plays where someone walks in, it's usually due to him filling the wrong gap. He doesn't seem to have any nose for the ball. I've lowered my expectations of what he'll add to the team.

ROYC75
10-25-2004, 04:07 PM
He's no Rich Scanlon.

No shit, he's worst. I just wish the coaches would see this ! ROFL

Logical
10-25-2004, 04:22 PM
No, he isn't good enough to beat Beisel out of it !

He was injured to start off with and Biesel picked it up pretty well, but neither are top notch , just doable.Ewwww :Lin:

Rain Man
10-25-2004, 04:25 PM
I agree with DeepSouth. Beisel is getting better each week, and is quite active. I can't comment yet on whether he's the proverbial "answer," but he has looked better in his opportunity than Mitchell did in his last year.

That said, kudoes to Mitchell for making a good play on Vick on Sunday, taking him down as he rolled out.

Phobia
10-25-2004, 04:42 PM
I have $10 that says Mitchell starts this weekend.

Deberg_1990
10-25-2004, 04:43 PM
I have $10 that says Mitchell starts this weekend.

yea out of neccesity

suds79
10-25-2004, 04:47 PM

Bigger than Larry Johnson? No.

Kawika has contributed more (as little as it may be) and wasn't a 1st rounder.

But is is he a bust? You betcha. :banghead:

Oh and Larry is too. :banghead:

ROYC75
10-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Ewwww :Lin:

Sorry.... that's all there is.

If anybody here thinks Beisel is the answer @ MLB, you're nuts. He's doable, that's all, IMHO, he has a long ways to go to be really good MLB.

Although it is early and he hasn't played much, he still has difficulty sheading blockers, still takes the wrong angle on many plays to the ball,and gets caught out of place often.

He needs reps.... lots of them
He needs more size.....
He needs to learn how to react differently on the snap
He needs countless hours of film training

All of thes things are coachable and can be taught. From what I hear, he listens well so that's the biggest piece of the puzzle.

As for Mitchell...... again, he hasn't picked this scheme up as quick as Beisel, reason why he doesn't start.

This next week, maybe buy default due to Beisel's injury. This will be a chance for Mitchell to lay claim that he is better than the fans are seeing of him. DV speaks highly of him, I just don't see it out of Mitchell yet .

Phobia
10-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah, Kawika was another 3-4 round project we grabbed in the 2nd round. Drives me nuts. Every year I watch the draft hoping for the best and every year, we reach for another bust.

Deberg_1990
10-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Yeah, Kawika was another 3-4 round project we grabbed in the 2nd round. Drives me nuts. Every year I watch the draft hoping for the best and every year, we reach for another bust.

Out track record in the 2nd round isnt the greatest is it??

Phobia
10-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Out track record in the 2nd round isnt the greatest is it??

It's been horrible. I have to go back to 90 for Tim Grunhard. Arguments can be made for Bartee, Valerio, Bennett, Vanover, and Tongue but I don't think any of them lived up to 2nd round expectations. My expectations for a 2nd rounder is that he develops for a year or 2 and becomes a solid starter over the years. I don't think any of those meet those standards except Tongue.

If you compare all the value we got from the 2nd round in the 80's, Carl's drafts have been dismal.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2004, 05:16 PM
I love your sig, ceebz. Where did you get it?

Deberg_1990
10-25-2004, 05:16 PM
It's been horrible. I have to go back to 90 for Tim Grunhard. Arguments can be made for Bartee, Valerio, Bennett, Vanover, and Tongue but I don't think any of them lived up to 2nd round expectations. My expectations for a 2nd rounder is that he develops for a year or 2 and becomes a solid starter over the years. I don't think any of those meet those standards except Tongue.

If you compare all the value we got from the 2nd round in the 80's, Carl's drafts have been dismal.

yep....Tongue was solid for a 2nd rounder....and so was Vanover.....but after that...truly pathetic...

siberian khatru
10-25-2004, 05:17 PM
As an early Kawika booster, I've been extremely disappointed.

Calcountry
10-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Ewwww :Lin:
ROFL

FloridaChief
10-25-2004, 05:24 PM
As an early Kawika booster, I've been extremely disappointed.

Seconded. I was hoping for a better performance.

ChiefsCountry
10-25-2004, 05:25 PM
yep....Tongue was solid for a 2nd rounder....and so was Vanover.....but after that...truly pathetic...

Vanover was a third round pick. Our 2nd round pick was trade to the Eagles for Victor Bailey. By the way, the Eagles took Bobby Taylor with that pick.

Phobia
10-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Vanover was a third round pick. Our 2nd round pick was trade to the Eagles for Victor Bailey. By the way, the Eagles took Bobby Taylor with that pick.

Yeah - that's my fault. Obviously, we didn't have the 2nd rounder that year and I misread the chart.

TEX
10-25-2004, 05:37 PM
IMO, Kawika was drafted because of his good combine workout. He was projected to go much later then # 2 based on his whole college career. So, I'm not surprised that he's not starting MLB quality and he's had the perfect opportunity to do just that on this team. :shake:

OldTownChief
10-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Looks like he'll get the job back this weekend.

milkman
10-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Sorry.... that's all there is.

If anybody here thinks Beisel is the answer @ MLB, you're nuts. He's doable, that's all, IMHO, he has a long ways to go to be really good MLB.

Although it is early and he hasn't played much, he still has difficulty sheading blockers, still takes the wrong angle on many plays to the ball,and gets caught out of place often.

He needs reps.... lots of them
He needs more size.....
He needs to learn how to react differently on the snap
He needs countless hours of film training

All of thes things are coachable and can be taught. From what I hear, he listens well so that's the biggest piece of the puzzle.

You're contradicting yourself here.

If it's coachable, and he's a hard worker, then he can be the answer.

The fact is, he hustles, and he plays with a lot of heart and desire.
With those things, I'm willing to go through the growing pains.

I think that he can really turn into a quality MLB.

shakesthecat
10-25-2004, 08:02 PM
I'll admit Beisel is playing better, but.....

He reminds me of a slightly faster Glen Cadrez. Smart player, that has limited skills. Kinda like Maz. Every team need a few guys like that.

On Special Teams.

I fully realize CP/DV's inabilty to draft. But now that Mitchell is finally healthy, I think/hope, he'll flourish under Gun.

KCWolfman
10-25-2004, 08:05 PM
I love your sig, ceebz. Where did you get it?
I think from a football game.

ROYC75
10-25-2004, 08:24 PM
You're contradicting yourself here.

If it's coachable, and he's a hard worker, then he can be the answer.

The fact is, he hustles, and he plays with a lot of heart and desire.
With those things, I'm willing to go through the growing pains.

I think that he can really turn into a quality MLB.

Not really, I just didn't finish the statement. He is coachable to a quality MLB, a doable type player that is going to need a good supporting cast behind him with the right coaching and training.

He will never be top notch, a pro bowl type MLB.

milkman
10-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Not really, I just didn't finish the statement. He is coachable to a quality MLB, a doable type player that is going to need a good supporting cast behind him with the right coaching and training.

He will never be top notch, a pro bowl type MLB.

I disagree.
I think that if he learns the position well enough to play it instinctively, rather than having to think about what he's doing, and he adds 10 pounds back on, he has the motor to become an outstanding, PB quality MLB.

CASHMAN
10-25-2004, 10:09 PM
http://www.cjonline.com/photos/galleries/102504_chiefs/images/13.jpg

Not bad here :clap:

CASHMAN.