PDA

View Full Version : Broncos and cheap blocks

chief husker
10-25-2004, 07:49 PM
At what point does the NFL step up and do something? I'm watching the Monday night game and it is disgusting. Denver you SUCK!

Skip Towne
10-25-2004, 07:55 PM
As I've stated before, Denver should be drummed out of the league. Foster dived at the guy's knees away from the play. We need to start doing it to them if it isn't going to be called.

KcMizzou
10-25-2004, 07:55 PM
That was pretty blatant IMO.

Disgusting. :shake:

LiL stumppy
10-25-2004, 08:02 PM
I hate Denver

shakesthecat
10-25-2004, 08:06 PM
At least it was on MNF, and the whole country saw it.

I'm sure the Donk Nation will be here shortly with a very reasonable explanation.

Michael Michigan
10-25-2004, 08:08 PM
scum

Randallflagg
10-25-2004, 08:09 PM
I couldn't agree more! It was obvious that Foster was trying to hurt this guy...then the camera shows him "in thoughtful prayer"....disgusting! The NFL needs to do something with these guys....

Soupnazi
10-25-2004, 08:09 PM
I'd make it my o-line's mission to break Trevor Pryce's leg before the game is over. These dirty bastards...God almighty I hate them.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
10-25-2004, 08:22 PM
DAMN DIRTY DONKEYS

The_Grand_Illusion
10-25-2004, 08:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/abcStory?page=askabcsports

I emailed ABC Sports and let them know how disgusted I am with that type of line blocking. You can’t email the NFL directly so I asked them to pass it on.

TGI

beavis
10-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Out for the season. Cheap bastards. :shake:

gblowfish
10-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Foster better watch his ass on the next interception return. Somebody outta cut him down like a diseased elm tree.

Joe Seahawk
10-25-2004, 09:14 PM
If I was 72, I'd watch my back... That was such a blatant cheap shot..

HolmeZz
10-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Tony Williams is done for the year. I don't know how they get away with the shit they pull. Them getting credit as one of the better offensive lines in the league does a dishonor to the OLine position. It takes talent to play well as a unit. It takes no talent to drive your helmet into the back of a guy's leg when he's not looking, nowhere near the play.

the Talking Can
10-25-2004, 09:21 PM
the reply is blatant, Foster bends his head down so low you think he's going to fellate himself, and then he smashes his helmet into the guy's leg and ruins his career

if there is any karma in the world Foster will break his leg "Theismann" style...soon

TEX
10-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Can't wait for the Rat to tape it and proclaim it to be a "legal" block. Also can't wait to see how their fans defend it as such as well... :shake:

Randallflagg
10-25-2004, 09:37 PM
You know, I have been a Chiefs fan forever and I know how deep the "dislike" for the Raiders is..but not me..I literally HATE the Broncs...they have used "tactics" like this for 10-15 years now and have always gotten away with it...it's a damn dirty shame when the only way you can "compete" is by trying to end other players careers...As far as I'm concerned, Foster should be suspended for the rest of the season. That kind of cheap crap doesn't belong in the NFL. PERIOD!

alanm
10-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Can't wait for the Rat to tape it and proclaim it to be a "legal" block. Also can't wait to see how their fans defend it as such as well... :shake:Sorry to hear about that dude. Caught it on a tube at school. But the sound was down so I couldn't hear what happened. I figured it was a legal cutblock, but damn that needs to be outlawed. It's Mickey Mouse blocking.:shake: No doubt Rat will defend it though. I guess Nell Foster better watch his back from now on. NFL will probably fine him since it was away from the play.

dirk digler
10-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Can't wait for the Rat to tape it and proclaim it to be a "legal" block. Also can't wait to see how their fans defend it as such as well... :shake:

Don't worry TJ will be here soon crying in his beer. Legal block but very cheap.

XXXshogunXXX
10-25-2004, 10:25 PM
that was like the 4th time ive seen that by a bronco...and the faggots at the mane still defend it.

XXXshogunXXX
10-25-2004, 10:26 PM
hey..my word was changed to pillowbiters..heh..thats pretty funny.

chiefz
10-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Wow, that was certainly an uneeded hit no matter how "legal" it was.

TEX
10-25-2004, 10:35 PM
Sorry to hear about that dude. Caught it on a tube at school. But the sound was down so I couldn't hear what happened. I figured it was a legal cutblock, but damn that needs to be outlawed. It's Mickey Mouse blocking.:shake: No doubt Rat will defend it though. I guess Nell Foster better watch his back from now on. NFL will probably fine him since it was away from the play.

There was NOTHING legal about it. Foster took aim at his ankle and dove head first. It was one of the CHEAPEST SHOTS I've seen even by CHOPPING DONX O-lineman standards and that's saying something. Plus it was AWAY from the play to boot... :shake:

TEX
10-25-2004, 10:37 PM
You know, I have been a Chiefs fan forever and I know how deep the "dislike" for the Raiders is..but not me..I literally HATE the Broncs...they have used "tactics" like this for 10-15 years now and have always gotten away with it...it's a damn dirty shame when the only way you can "compete" is by trying to end other players careers...As far as I'm concerned, Foster should be suspended for the rest of the season. That kind of cheap crap doesn't belong in the NFL. PERIOD!

It's not the "only way" they "compete" - just ask them about their salary cap violations. That is one DIRTY / CHEATING bunch... :shake:

dirk digler
10-25-2004, 10:37 PM
There was NOTHING legal about it. Foster took aim at his ankle and dove head first. It was one of the CHEAPEST SHOTS I've seen even by CHOPPING DONX O-lineman standards and that's saying something. Plus it was AWAY from the play to boot... :shake:

The guys at ESPN just broke that play down and they said it was a legal block but very bushleague and cheap block. I am not defending it but it was legal but the guy should have never done it.

TEX
10-25-2004, 10:40 PM
The guys at ESPN just broke that play down and they said it was a legal block but very bushleague and cheap block. I am not defending it but it was legal but the guy should have never done it.

Yeah, I know I heard. Legal my A$$. It was pure horse $HIT. Wonder how "legal" it would be had someone done that to Trevor Price? :hmmm: What goes around comes around and I hope it does for those CHOPPING BASTARDS! :cuss:

Ugly Duck
10-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Foster sneaks up behind the dude, stands there for a few seconds, then drives his shoulder into the guy's ankle from behind. Ended the guy's season. Nothing new for a Denver team, but this time DonkFanz at the Mange are unhappy with the play. Wutzup wit dat? Are DonkFanz going soft... or have they actually been human all along, and rival fanz just refused to recognize their humanity? Some Mange snippets after the play:

"It was all legal!!!"

"I might be a Broncoz fan but wrong is wrong.. I hope Foster gets fined the max for that crap.. No place in football for **** like that. Legal block or not thats cheap"

"Legal or no, it was meant to cause injury and it was not necessary."

Frazod
10-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I know I heard. Legal my A$$. It was pure horse $HIT. Wonder how "legal" it would be had domeone done that to Trevor Price? :hmmm: What goes around comes around and I hope it does for those CHOPPING BASTARDS! :cuss:

Hopefully we'll find out. The entire league should unite to ruin those f#cking goons.

Sure-Oz
10-25-2004, 10:42 PM
That was total bullshit on foster, he'll trip and fall and break a hip on the way home.

TEX
10-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Foster sneaks up behind the dude, stands there for a few seconds, then drives his shoulder into the guy's ankle from behind. Ended the guy's season. Nothing new for a Denver team, but this time DonkFanz at the Mange are unhappy with the play. Wutzup wit dat? Are DonkFanz going soft... or have they actually been human all along, and rival fanz just refused to recognize their humanity? Some Mange snippets after the play:

"It was all legal!!!"

"I might be a Broncoz fan but wrong is wrong.. I hope Foster gets fined the max for that crap.. No place in football for **** like that. Legal block or not thats cheap"

"Legal or no, it was meant to cause injury and it was not necessary."

:clap: ROFL

dirk digler
10-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I know I heard. Legal my A$$. It was pure horse $HIT. Wonder how "legal" it would be had someone done that to Trevor Price? :hmmm: What goes around comes around and I hope it does for those CHOPPING BASTARDS! :cuss:

I agree and I can't wait for it to happen.

Mile High Mania
I've always said what the MNF crew was saying ... what the Denver Olinemen is doing, is legal within the rules.

I do, however, believe that Foster had no business throwing that block at that point in the game.

Skip Towne
Agreed. But this isn't the first time for them. The Donx should be kicked out of the league for their repeated infractions.

Taco John
That block, and the result of it was unfortunate.

Taco John
10-25-2004, 10:46 PM
The Donx should be kicked out of the league for their repeated infractions.

What infractions?

You have to break a rule to commit an infraction of it, no?

TEX
10-25-2004, 10:47 PM
I've always said what the MNF crew was saying ... what the Denver Olinemen is doing, is legal within the rules.

I do, however, believe that Foster had no business throwing that block at that point in the game.

Right on que as predicted... ROFL

the Talking Can
10-25-2004, 10:48 PM
the replay is clear....Foster wanted to injure him and he did....I can't wait till he gets what he deserves

Skip Towne
10-25-2004, 10:49 PM
"Unfortunate" you think? Taco you are the dumbest bastard I have ever encountered.

TEX
10-25-2004, 10:50 PM
the replay is clear....Foster wanted to injure him and he did....I can't wait till he gets what he deserves

But...but...but...it was "LEGAL!" I mean everyone,including the refs, were saying it... ROFL

Mile High Mania
10-25-2004, 10:51 PM
I am curious ... has anyone noticed if the Atlanta Oline (now coached by Gibbs) does a lot of this type of blocking?

TEX
10-25-2004, 10:51 PM
"Unfortunate" you think? Taco you are the dumbest bastard I have ever encountered.

Taco's not dumb, just selectively blind most of the time.

Joe Seahawk
10-25-2004, 10:52 PM

Are you saying that there is a point in the game where it's OK to pull that BS?

BTW, I know how you guys are feeling right now.. :shake:

Ugly Duck
10-25-2004, 10:52 PM
What infractions?

You have to break a rule to commit an infraction of it, no?I think he meant the ones where the league fines the Donks... those ones. The most fined team in the league, year after year. The most reresentatives on the "Dirty Players" list. The ones where the league hands down all those fines for dirty play. Those infractions.

TEX
10-25-2004, 10:54 PM
I am curious ... has anyone noticed if the Atlanta Oline (now coached by Gibbs) does a lot of this type of blocking?

Don't really know. I do know that Gibbs was quoted as saying that they don't run the blocking assignments at full speed in practice because it's too dangerous... :hmmm: I'm praying that the Falcons do it "Bronco style" next week! :thumb: Then all you clowns can profess how "legal" it is... :shake:

TEX
10-25-2004, 10:55 PM
I think he meant the ones where the league fines the Donks... those ones. The most fined team in the league, year after year. The most reresentatives on the "Dirty Players" list. The ones where the league hands down all those fines for dirty play. Those infractions.

But...but...but the Rat has proof on film that they're all legal...

dirk digler

I believe they do but they sure didn't run much against us so it is hard to tell.

This is going to be an interesting matchup between Gibbs and Shanahan.

Mile High Mania
Are you saying that there is a point in the game where it's OK to pull that BS?

BTW, I know how you guys are feeling right now.. :shake:

I wasn't clear on that statement... I've always said that if a team can work the rules, then work them. However, intentionally injuring a player is BS and at that point ... the guy Foster hit was a non-factor, there was no point in doing it.

Iowanian
the reply is blatant, Foster bends his head down so low you think he's going to fellate himself, and then he smashes his helmet into the guy's leg and ruins his career

if there is any karma in the world Foster will break his leg "Theismann" style...soon

I think I'd prefer a DL step on his sack, and his still attached baows were stuck to the cleat and being drug 10 yards down the field like a ball of yarn.

PHOG
10-25-2004, 10:56 PM

Last Sunday, they had seperate penalties for leg whipping and also the patented Donko crack back block.. :mad:

Mile High Mania
10-25-2004, 10:56 PM
I believe they do but they sure didn't run much against us so it is hard to tell.

This is going to be an interesting matchup between Gibbs and Shanahan.

I agree ... both knows the other really really well. I think Denver has more weapons and a better defense, oh ... and they're at Denver.

Ugly Duck
10-25-2004, 10:58 PM
"Unfortunate" you think? Taco you are the dumbest bastard I have ever encountered.But, it was unfortunate.... the guys season is over. Thats just about as unfortunate as it can be.

Iowanian
10-25-2004, 10:58 PM
A mod should extend a hand of friendship to orangemane..............and give them that smiley no required for Bartee to use on their turf for Bailey.

Man he was smoked tonight.

dirk digler
10-25-2004, 10:59 PM
I agree ... both knows the other really really well. I think Denver has more weapons and a better defense, oh ... and they're at Denver.

You guys should beat them by 20 but then again Vick may run wild.

Did Gibbs leave in good terms or does he hate Shanny?

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:00 PM
I think he meant the ones where the league fines the Donks... those ones. The most fined team in the league, year after year. The most reresentatives on the "Dirty Players" list. The ones where the league hands down all those fines for dirty play. Those infractions.

Coming from a Raider fan, I'm just going to laugh at you.

Unless you'd like to denounce your Superbowl trophies here in front of the board from the days when you guys were the league leaders in that?

Didn't think so.

Randallflagg
I wasn't clear on that statement... I've always said that if a team can work the rules, then work them. However, intentionally injuring a player is BS and at that point ... the guy Foster hit was a non-factor, there was no point in doing it.

Oh...so if he had been "a factor", then it's cool to end his career? Just remember...every other team in the NFL saw what happened tonight..someone will give Foster his "due"....

Coach
IIRC, wasn't there a flag thrown aganist the Falcons for that in Sundays game? Chopblocking I think?

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Did Gibbs leave in good terms or does he hate Shanny?

They're best friends... Gibbs left because he didn't want to disshelve his protoge', Dennison.

dirk digler
IIRC, wasn't there a flag thrown aganist the Falcons for that in Sundays game? Chopblocking I think?

Yeah I think they got called for it once or twice and they got called for leg whipping at least once.

the Talking Can
... the guy Foster hit was a non-factor, there was no point in doing it.

umm, the point was to injure him....and he did

PHOG
10-25-2004, 11:03 PM

Yes, and also leg whipping. :hmmm:

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Oh...so if he had been "a factor", then it's cool to end his career? Just remember...every other team in the NFL saw what happened tonight..someone will give Foster his "due"....

Exactly. It's just a shame that the bone didn't snap. :rolleyes:

dirk digler
10-25-2004, 11:04 PM
They're best friends... Gibbs left because he didn't want to disshelve his protoge', Dennison.

Thanks. It should make for an interesting matchup. I would think that you guys should be beat them pretty bad but having Gibbs with Atlanta might give them an edge since he knows all of your plays and line calls.

TEX
10-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Coming from a Raider fan, I'm just going to laugh at you.

Unless you'd like to denounce your Superbowl trophies here in front of the board from the days when you guys were the league leaders in that?

Didn't think so.

Well you guys could do the same for violating the salary cap during your Super Bowl years.

Doesn't Taco logic apply here? I mean how can you try and smack Raida fan around when they have more Super Bowls, more playoff wins, and more division championships than your cheating F*uckos do?... :hmmm:

Coach
10-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Yeah I think they got called for it once or twice and they got called for leg whipping at least once.

Yes, and also leg whipping. :hmmm:

Well, there you have it.

Mile High Mania
10-25-2004, 11:08 PM

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.. :rolleyes:

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Well, there you have it.

Yes, you hypocritical jackasses... Gibbs also coached for you guys, and guess what? He did the same stuff there as he did everywhere else he has coached...

You guys weren't complaining then though, were you?

Mile High Mania
10-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Thanks. It should make for an interesting matchup. I would think that you guys should be beat them pretty bad but having Gibbs with Atlanta might give them an edge since he knows all of your plays and line calls.

Should be interesting ... I imagine the language that Gibbs uses in Atlanta is similar to what they use in Denver. Mind games all about.

Ok - I'm outta here.

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:13 PM
It was an unfortunate block, but it was a legal one.

I don't like that the dude got hurt like that. It was unfortunate.

the Talking Can
10-25-2004, 11:15 PM
it wasn't unfortunate, it was dirty....and typical

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:17 PM
...and legal.

BigChiefFan
10-25-2004, 11:21 PM
When did ruining a guy's season through a chop block constitute a legal label? Typical and pathetic.

Not sure which is worse the tacky play by Foster or those that insist on his so-called legal chop block. The dorko O-line is a bunch of dirty pricks and deserve to be bagged on.

huskerdooz
10-25-2004, 11:25 PM

This is the whole problem in a nutshell. Even though it is technically a legal block, it shouldn't be. D-line coaches and D-coordinators have been lobbying for blocks like this to be against the rules for years but the NFL has continually turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to the issue. One wonders how many season ending and possibly career ending injuries have to occur before they actually outlaw this type of blocking.

Demonpenz
10-25-2004, 11:27 PM
ok guys, quit calling every cut block a chop block. A chop block is when a player is engaged with another player, and another player comes and hits him below the belt. Come on Chiefs fans, if your going to call out any players for a illegal block back it up. I am tired of all this bitching, the illegal blocks do get fines, and as the case when atlanta did it, they got flags. Cut blocking has been going on forever. I would be interested to see who here has had experences defending or carrying act the block.

TEX
10-25-2004, 11:28 PM
...and legal.

...and dirty.

Demonpenz
10-25-2004, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=BigChiefFan]When did ruining a guy's season through a chop block constitute a legal label? Typical and pathetic.

Was he engaged with the player when another guy took his legs out? If not it is not a CHOP BLOCK.

Demonpenz
10-25-2004, 11:31 PM
I think ZackKc on here also played line, I wasn't taught how to cut block, but i was taught how to defend it. A play that looks dirty and cheap has been tought by coach's since football was invented

Randallflagg
10-25-2004, 11:32 PM
I have not called the block "illegal"....just unethical. Foster knew when he hit the guy that he was going to injure him. Period. The play wasn't even being run toward him. There was no call for that "block". Like I said before, every other player in the NFL saw that intentional injury and will be looking for him in the future. Hell, just because you CAN injure someone doesn't mean you SHOULD. This has been Denver's operational plan for years. Stretch the rules just as far as humanly possible and pray that you get away with it....BUSHLEAGUE..........

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:33 PM
When did ruining a guy's season through a chop block constitute a legal label? Typical and pathetic.

Not sure which is worse the tacky play by Foster or those that insist on his so-called legal chop block. The dorko O-line is a bunch of dirty pricks and deserve to be bagged on.

You should learn the difference between a chop block and a cut block...

Demonpenz
10-25-2004, 11:34 PM
It isn't a new problem or one just being done by the bronco's, hell i remember the backside cutting when i was like in 7th grade.

Frazod
10-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Yes, you hypocritical jackasses... Gibbs also coached for you guys, and guess what? He did the same stuff there as he did everywhere else he has coached...

So I'm told, but like I f#cking remember. Back then there was no internet, no instant wealth of Chiefs info readily available, and I was lucky to get half of the games televised during any given season. It's not like the Chicago papers provided in-depth coverage of Kansas City's offensive line play.

I certainly don't ever remember seeing a play like this committed by a Chief, and thinking "Gee, that sucks," but it's been a long time since that turd Gibbs was disgracing our sidelines.

Dirty is dirty. I don't like it when our players do stupid shit now. I don't think I would have felt differently back then.

Demonpenz
10-25-2004, 11:35 PM
I hated cut blocks when I played, but thats why you prepare yourself and learn how to protect against it.

tk13
10-25-2004, 11:35 PM
I think the worst part was the timing of it... it wasn't anywhere near the play. Foster might as well have come up and just punched the guy in the crotch... there was no reason to do that unless the intent was to hurt somebody, same thing.

Demonpenz
10-25-2004, 11:37 PM
So I'm told, but like I f#cking remember. Back then there was no internet, no instant wealth of Chiefs info readily available, and I was lucky to get half of the games televised during any given season. It's not like the Chicago papers provided in-depth coverage of Kansas City's offensive line play.

I certainly don't ever remember seeing a play like this committed by a Chief, and thinking "Gee, that sucks," but it's been a long time since that turd Gibbs was disgracing our sidelines.

Dirty is dirty. I don't like it when our players do stupid shit now. I don't think I would have felt differently back then.

Even way back on NFL films when we were matriculating the ball down the field, the backside tackled always got a helmet infront of a guy's knee on toss sweeps.

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:37 PM
ok guys, quit calling every cut block a chop block. A chop block is when a player is engaged with another player, and another player comes and hits him below the belt. Come on Chiefs fans, if your going to call out any players for a illegal block back it up. I am tired of all this bitching, the illegal blocks do get fines, and as the case when atlanta did it, they got flags. Cut blocking has been going on forever. I would be interested to see who here has had experences defending or carrying act the block.

THANK YOU!

It's hard to have this discussion with people who think that don't really have any idea of what they're talking about.

The reason why it's legal? Because it opens up the offense and that's what the NFL wants.

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:39 PM
I certainly don't ever remember seeing a play like this committed by a Chief, and thinking "Gee, that sucks,"

I sure as hell do...

Demonpenz
10-25-2004, 11:39 PM
I ain't no broncos supporter by any means, but this play has been going on since football started, it is up to the NFL to make it illegal.

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:43 PM
I ain't no broncos supporter by any means, but this play has been going on since football started, it is up to the NFL to make it illegal.

I agree... It's unfortunate when people get hurt and lose their seasons, but until it's illegal and no teams can do it, it's going to keep happening...

The NFL has had NUMEROUS opportunities to make this illegal, and they refuse to every year. It's not like this was invented in the last five years...

tk13
10-25-2004, 11:44 PM
I agree... It's unfortunate when people get hurt and lose their seasons, but until it's illegal and no teams can do it, it's going to keep happening...

The NFL has had NUMEROUS opportunities to make this illegal, and they refuse to every year. It's not like this was invented in the last five years...
So you don't think Foster had any intent to injure the player whatsoever....

Demonpenz
10-25-2004, 11:45 PM
cheap, dirty, immoral, but legal

the Talking Can
10-25-2004, 11:45 PM
no one gives a **** if it was legal....it was DIRTY..the replay shows lowering his head and diving at his leg for no other reason than to injure him...Foster will get his, count on it

Frazod
10-25-2004, 11:46 PM
I sure as hell do...

But it's all better now, right? :shake:

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:53 PM
But it's all better now, right? :shake:

It was legal then, it's legal now...

Taco John
10-25-2004, 11:55 PM
no one gives a **** if it was legal....it was DIRTY..the replay shows lowering his head and diving at his leg for no other reason than to injure him...Foster will get his, count on it

Yeah, the replay will show that next year during competition committee meetings too, and guess what? Offensive coaches will still argue against defensive coaches and the end result will be that the NFL will rule in favor of the offense, like it always does.

Demonpenz
10-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Faking a roughing
While this penalty is rarely called, the kicker or passer may not fake being roughed by the opponent in an attempt to get a foul called on them

I want to this penalty called more often

Ugly Duck
10-26-2004, 12:23 AM
I was wondering... we keep calling it a "cut block'... but is it still a "block" when its totally away from the play? Foster knew the ball wasn't coming anywhere near the guy. Dude was just standing there, Foster just standing behind him. Then Foster just up and dove down from behind and destroyed the guy's ankle. Foster wasn't blocking the dude out of the way for a play - he was just going for a kill shot from the back. Is that still a "block?"

Michael Michigan
10-26-2004, 12:32 AM
I was wondering... we keep calling it a "cut block'... but is it still a "block" when its totally away from the play? Foster knew the ball wasn't coming anywhere near the guy. Dude was just standing there, Foster just standing behind him. Then Foster just up and dove down from behind and destroyed the guy's ankle. Foster wasn't blocking the dude out of the way for a play - he was just going for a kill shot from the back. Is that still a "block?"

More like a sucker punch at the ankle.

el borracho
10-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Madden had a good observation- while the block was technically legal it was unnecessary and "unsportsmanlike." Dude should have been penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Ugly Duck
10-26-2004, 12:58 AM
Figured I'd visit the Mange and see the DonkFanz discussions of the ankle asassination, but there are no threads about it. Gee, you'd think maybe there would be some kinda something about it....

XXXshogunXXX
10-26-2004, 01:30 AM
someone deleted a thread where it was mentioned over there.

nevermind..found it

Warrior5
10-26-2004, 02:42 AM
I'll just call it "Donk blocking".

People can say this type of blocking is legally and morally questionable, but still legal. And those same people can say, "it's done all the time in the NFL", and "...oh yeah, well, when so-and-so was your O-line coach ten years ago, your team did it too."

The fact is that the Donks are infamous for this crap, have a reputation for it, have been fined for it, and did it again last night.

People can't understand why I, as a Chiefs fan, hate the Donks more than the Raiders. Donk blocking is the main reason (but not the only one).

Words cannot describe my utter contempt and loathing for Denver.

Fairplay
10-26-2004, 02:46 AM
I'll just call it "Donk blocking".

Words cannot describe my utter contempt and loathing for Denver.

I bet i loath and contempt them more then you.

Warrior5
10-26-2004, 02:55 AM
I bet i loath and contempt them more then you.

No, you don't. I think frazod could compare, since he's a whole lot more "colorful" in his posts than I am.

But let's just loathe them together, or we'll get into "I'm a bigger Donk hater than you are..." exchange.

I sense a poll coming soon on this topic.

Fairplay
10-26-2004, 02:59 AM
Heh, Frazod can go off on things thats for sure.

Damn cheating Donks anyway. I hope one of there team gets his leg broke.
I know i shouldn't say that, but i hate them so i got to say it so there.
I hope Atlanta avenges that sorry loss we gave them and takes it out on them next week.

Warrior5
10-26-2004, 03:09 AM
'Zackly. Go Falcons!

Braincase
10-26-2004, 06:04 AM
I saw it, didn't post when it happened. I was too busy cursing Foster. Dirty, dirty, dirty. Wrong is wrong.

Fairplay
10-26-2004, 06:10 AM
I saw it, didn't post when it happened. I was too busy cursing Foster. Dirty, dirty, dirty. Wrong is wrong.

How can those players have a decent conscious knowing they could end NFL players careers. Thats sad, it really is.

ZepSinger
10-26-2004, 06:39 AM
...and legal.

It may be technically legal, but why does no other team use the tactic as consistently as the Broncos?

It's because the other teams have ethics. Other teams have a conscience. Other teams' players could end a guy's season 'legally', but choose not to. You guys stand alone. Congratulations.
:shake:

the Talking Can
10-26-2004, 06:40 AM
Foster knew the ball wasn't coming anywhere near the guy. Dude was just standing there, Foster just standing behind him. Then Foster just up and dove down from behind and destroyed the guy's ankle. Foster wasn't blocking the dude out of the way for a play - he was just going for a kill shot from the back.

that's what happened

TEX
10-26-2004, 07:22 AM
It was legal then, it's legal now...

I'll be sure to throw this right back at ya if the Falcons return the "legal" block your way with the same results. :shake:

Ultra Peanut
10-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Tony Williams went to Memphis. By all accounts, he's a great guy, and he worked his ass off to go from being a fifth-round pick in '97 to an eight-year vet. I'm sure his wife and two kids are happy to know that the cheap shot was "legal."

Shit, we even had a Louisville fan come over to our forum and say it was bullshit and that the Donx play dirty.

I hope Nell Foster "legally" falls in the street and gets run over by a ****ing truck.

Mark M
10-26-2004, 07:45 AM
So ... just because something's legal, does that mean that it's right?

In some countries it is legal to beat women. So, by BurritoBoy's logic, that's just "unfortunate" but not wrong since it happens all the time.

MM
~~:rolleyes:

Rukdafaidas
10-26-2004, 07:47 AM
It may be technically legal, but why does no other team use the tactic as consistently as the Broncos?

It's because the other teams have ethics. Other teams have a conscience. Other teams' players could end a guy's season 'legally', but choose not to. You guys stand alone. Congratulations.
Exactly!
Bronco fans swear all teams cut block and their offensive line is unfairly labeled cheaters, but I never see other teams cut block. I've watched every Chiefs game since the blackouts were removed in the '80's and the only Chief I can recall ever diving at a guys legs was Dale Carter (no wonder the Broncos signed him). I don't recall any Chief OL dive at a guys legs like Foster did last night or like they did against DT or like they did against Brian Cox or like they did the week before that against Maa Tanuvasa or like they did to Paul Spicer THIS YEAR when they broke his leg in Jacksonville and ended his season.

Dave Lane
10-26-2004, 07:54 AM

I noticed and I guess the refs did as well. 2 penalties for chop blocking and several holds yeah I guess they noticed.

Dave

dollar1
10-26-2004, 08:01 AM
Anybody got a video clip of the play?

~crawling back under my rock~

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 08:17 AM
I've got the mane stirred up about the play:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=19291

chiefz
10-26-2004, 08:18 AM
This is just how the Donks play...

From greased forearms, to chop blocks and late hits...

And everyone continues to wonder how this "system" produces 1000 yard backs year after year.

Bwana
10-26-2004, 08:18 AM
That was a Low Test, Bush League hit. Look for something like that to happen to Foster in the near future when people on other teams view the film. Things have a way of working there way out in the NFL.

chiefz
10-26-2004, 08:21 AM
I've got the mane stirred up about the play:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=19291

Thats hilarious, I love how they keep bringing up the fact that even the commentators said it was a "legal block", however I don't see any Donk fans saying how the commentators also said "It was wrong, and it SHOULD BE illegal." or that "There is no place in the game for hits like that.". :hmmm:

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 08:47 AM
I'll be sure to throw this right back at ya if the Falcons return the "legal" block your way with the same results. :shake:That'd be poetic justice.

Rain Man
10-26-2004, 08:49 AM
I'm sure it's been said about 115 times already, but I hope George Foster blows out a knee driving to practice this morning and never plays another down of football, and then dies. That was completely unnecessary and was just nothing more than a Denver-patented cheap shot to hurt another player.

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm sure it's been said about 115 times already, but I hope George Foster blows out a knee driving to practice this morning and never plays another down of football, and then dies. Wow! :eek:

ROFL

Iowanian
10-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Duane Clemons commented on it after the game.

He sure seemed to think it was legal and acceptable play [/sarcasm]

810 just reported that the DT was engaged by rule, and it was a chop block, and Foster is being fined by the league. They always do that on legal plays.

Foster knew it was a cheap shot.......thats why he walked over and offered to wash his baows for him. Saw the same thing on Karate Kid when the Coach made the Cobra Ki kid jump on Dan-yowsan's knee.

Rain Man
10-26-2004, 09:01 AM

Okay, be honest. You're embarrassed to have to defend that play. It's okay to admit it.

That play was less about chop blocking than it was going after another guy's legs from the back. To be honest, I thought it was illegal as a clip, chop blocking aside.

Rain Man
10-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Wow! :eek:

ROFL

I have a strong policy on sportsmanship.

TEX
10-26-2004, 09:03 AM
This is just how the Donks play...

From greased forearms, to chop blocks and late hits...

And everyone continues to wonder how this "system" produces 1000 yard backs year after year.

Major REP for this one! :clap:

chiefz
10-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Okay, be honest. You're embarrassed to have to defend that play. It's okay to admit it.

I think you will have a hard time getting a Donk fan to admit to anything illegal envolving their offensive line.

Rain Man
10-26-2004, 09:19 AM
I think you will have a hard time getting a Donk fan to admit to anything illegal envolving their offensive line.

Yeah, it's like being America's U.N. ambassador. You just can't get those third-world countries to admit that wife-beating is wrong. They keep saying, "Show me in the Geneva Convention where it says we can't do that."

Taco John
10-26-2004, 09:26 AM

Well, actually, they do. Even the Chiefs use cut blocks. I've seen it this year.

Mark M
10-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Well, actually, they do. Even the Chiefs use cut blocks. I've seen it this year.
A few questions (and I mean them in all seriousness):

1. In what game?

2. Was it from behind?

3. In KC history, what opposing player has had his season ended by a Chief due to a legal, but unethical, block? (Note: Other than Dale Carter's cheap shot against Denver. That was totally classless and an embarrassment.)

4. Why is it that Denver is known for their questionable tactics, while KC is not?

Note: Since RBs often go low to block oncoming blitzers, we will not consider those since the blitzer sees it coming.

MM
~~:hmmm:

Rain Man
10-26-2004, 09:30 AM

Do you hear the beating of that Bengal's broken ankle under your floor?

Thump-thump.

Thump-thump.

ZepSinger
10-26-2004, 09:34 AM

So you're telling me the Chiefs use this technique as much as the Broncs? Even close? Why then, don't we hear a public outcry about the dirty Chiefs play? Are our players fined anywhere close to as much as Donk players?
Seriously, inform me if I'm wrong.

Rain Man
10-26-2004, 09:38 AM
How many linemen and linebackers have had their legs broken by the Broncos the past few years? We know about Williams last night, and Bryan Cox a couple of years back, and ... was it RayLee Johnson of the Chargers? Who else?

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 09:46 AM

TJ, I can't believe you are defending the block. Legal or not it is wrong.

Rukdafaidas
10-26-2004, 09:46 AM
How many linemen and linebackers have had their legs broken by the Broncos the past few years? We know about Williams last night, and Bryan Cox a couple of years back, and ... was it RayLee Johnson of the Chargers? Who else?
DE Spicer of Jacksonville got his leg broke by a cut block from Droughns earlier this year.

Rukdafaidas
10-26-2004, 09:50 AM

Demonpenz
10-26-2004, 09:51 AM
I don't know if it is legal in the NFL, but it is still legal in High school here in missouri to cut a guy from behind while in the "Clipping ZONE"

Demonpenz
10-26-2004, 09:53 AM

That play was less about chop blocking than it was going after another guy's legs from the back. To be honest, I thought it was illegal as a clip, chop blocking aside.
CLIP

See i think that is one of the problems, you can clip as long as your within the line of scrimmage.

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 10:00 AM
funny chit man Rep!

Sorry dude. I hit the neg rep by accident. I'll make it up to you when i spread the love around, Sorry! :(

Taco John
10-26-2004, 10:06 AM
So you're telling me the Chiefs use this technique as much as the Broncs? Even close? Why then, don't we hear a public outcry about the dirty Chiefs play? Are our players fined anywhere close to as much as Donk players?
Seriously, inform me if I'm wrong.

So you're saying it's not the technique, but how many times it's used? What sense does that make?

Seriously, you guys use this technique too. I had a vid cap of a couple of them from our game against you guys in week one, but didn't post it due to how badly you guys were taking the loss... and then how badly the losing kept going.

I'll be on the lookout though... I know you guys use this technique, because I've seen it both this year and last year...

Mark M
10-26-2004, 10:09 AM
A few questions (and I mean them in all seriousness):

1. In what game?

2. Was it from behind?

3. In KC history, what opposing player has had his season ended by a Chief due to a legal, but unethical, block? (Note: Other than Dale Carter's cheap shot against Denver. That was totally classless and an embarrassment.)

4. Why is it that Denver is known for their questionable tactics, while KC is not?

Note: Since RBs often go low to block oncoming blitzers, we will not consider those since the blitzer sees it coming.

Answers please ...

MM
~~:hmmm:

ZepSinger
10-26-2004, 10:15 AM
So you're saying it's not the technique, but how many times it's used? What sense does that make?

Seriously, you guys use this technique too. I had a vid cap of a couple of them from our game against you guys in week one, but didn't post it due to how badly you guys were taking the loss... and then how badly the losing kept going.

I'll be on the lookout though... I know you guys use this technique, because I've seen it both this year and last year...

I'm saying I haven't seen it used once. And if so, why weren't there any complaints about it? As far as your vid cap- sure, ya did...

http://www.scaretactics.com/pics/mikey.jpg

BIG_DADDY
10-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Teams in the NFL need to GET IT. When you play the Donx every player needs to try and break the knee of a player. If the NFL won't fix it the players in the NFL need to by playing them in this fasion, every team, every game. Frankly I would have cheered if after a play was blown dead someone had picked up Plummer and spiked the fvck out of him. 15 yards later if he is still out there do it again.

Rukdafaidas
10-26-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm saying I haven't seen it used once. And if so, why weren't there any complaints about it? As far as your vid cap- sure, ya did...

Beautiful! ROFL

dollar1
10-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Does anybody have a video of the hit. I wasn't able to watch the game.

~crawling back under my rock~

PHOG
10-26-2004, 10:21 AM

Oh chit, that's hilarious.... ROFL

Rain Man
10-26-2004, 10:23 AM

All teams occasionally use chop blocks in the way that they're intended, which is to go low and trip a player up while the two players are facing off. That's been a blocking technique since the Triceratops blocked T-Rex, and I don't think people have an issue with that.

The Broncos are the only team to consistently do it from the sides and the back, against players that aren't actively squared off, and they're the only team to consistently seriously injure opposing players as a result.

Chiefnj
10-26-2004, 10:36 AM
What surprises me the most is that there hasn't been a flagrant payback yet.

stevieray
10-26-2004, 10:40 AM
The invescos are not only an embarassment to the NFL, but to the game as well.

POSERS.

Iowanian
10-26-2004, 10:42 AM
So..............this will be the 2nd "legal" hit, defended by donk fans................which will be fined.

Bowser
10-26-2004, 10:44 AM
What surprises me the most is that there hasn't been a flagrant payback yet.

Patience is a virtue.......

;)

The Bad Guy
10-26-2004, 10:53 AM
The next pick Plummer throws I hope someone goes behind him and dives at his legs even if he's 20 yards away from the play.

Then I want to hear Taco John and every other Bronco fan bitch and cry about how dirty that play was.

Then we can tell them it's "legal".

BigRedChief
10-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Figured I'd visit the Mange and see the DonkFanz discussions of the ankle asassination, but there are no threads about it. Gee, you'd think maybe there would be some kinda something about it....

I started one here:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=19291&page=1&pp=25

chiefz
10-26-2004, 10:57 AM
No matter how many different ways you analyze the hit it is still wrong but I am sure there will continue to be plenty of reasons coming from Donkey country about how it is still "legal".

Mark M
10-26-2004, 11:28 AM
I guess I'm never going to have my questions answered.

MM
~~:spank:

Lzen
10-26-2004, 11:49 AM

Put up or shut up.

Mark M
10-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Put up or shut up.

Don't hold your breath. I asked 4 very good, serious questions and have yet to receive a response.

MM
~~:shake:

Lzen
10-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Don't hold your breath. I asked 4 very good, serious questions and have yet to receive a response.

MM

I know. It's because he can't answer those questions. At least not with any good replies.

Lzen
10-26-2004, 11:53 AM
I know. It's because he can't answer those questions. At least not with any good replies.

In other words, chickenshit.

TEX
10-26-2004, 12:03 PM
So..............this will be the 2nd "legal" hit, defended by donk fans................which will be fined.

Priceless... :p

TEX
10-26-2004, 12:04 PM
All teams occasionally use chop blocks in the way that they're intended, which is to go low and trip a player up while the two players are facing off. That's been a blocking technique since the Triceratops blocked T-Rex, and I don't think people have an issue with that.

The Broncos are the only team to consistently do it from the sides and the back, against players that aren't actively squared off, and they're the only team to consistently seriously injure opposing players as a result.

Major REP for telling it like it is. :clap:

ZepSinger
10-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Major REP for telling it like it is. :clap:

And still no response from burrito boy.

Mark M
10-26-2004, 12:28 PM
In other words, chickenshit.

BREAKING NEWS: Stevie Wonder is blind!

Later in the newscast, scientists have discovered that the sun appears in the eastern sky first. We'll tell you why.

MM
~~:D

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 12:42 PM

Quit rationalizing. That was a complete shiot play by Foster. I don't give a phuck if it was legal or not. It was intentional, not unfortunate.

That you'd use that word to describe that play is pretty disgraceful.

It was the about the 2nd worst play I've seen since Dale Carter intentionally whacked your Safety back in 96(?)

WilliamTheIrish
10-26-2004, 12:46 PM
And still no response from burrito boy.

If our line did that to somebody I'd go hide too.

That was the dirtiest shot I've seen in a long time.

Oxford
10-26-2004, 01:35 PM

From the back is illegal, you can't "block in the back on a return" without a flag. I didn't see the game, but I believe within 3 yards of the LOS has something to do with it.

If you want to stop this, a backup OL comes off the bench and targets Foster, and drops him a the end of a play the same way. Any fines levied by the league are reimbursed by the club at the end of the season. Call it enforcer pay.

Rukdafaidas
10-26-2004, 01:37 PM
From the back is illegal, you can "block in the back on a return" without a flag. I didn't see the game, but I believe within 3 yards of the LOS has something to do with it.

If you want to stop this, a backup OL comes off the bench and targets Foster, and drops him a the end of a play the same way. Any fines levied by the league are reimbursed by the club at the end of the season. Call it enforcer pay.
Yeah, just like baseball.
In baseball, if a guy throws at the head of a player, you'll see retaliation.

38yrsfan
10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
... Gibbs also coached for you guys, and guess what? He did the same stuff there as he did everywhere else he has coached...

Sorry got into this thread late .... still reading the posts, so sorry for any redundancy. Yes I was a fan "way back" then and I wasn't a Gibbs fan at all. I believe that even in the entertainment business of professional footbal, some sportsmanship should be shown. Escpecially as we are constantly bombarded by advertisements proclaiming how somany of these athletes give back to the community and held up as inspirational role models. IMO.

It may be "legit" but it is still dirty and cheap.

Inspector
10-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Used to be legal to own slaves.

I guess it was OK since it was legal.

Defending the season ending "block" (or whatever you want to call it) speaks to the character of the person defending the action.

TJ - really, really makes himself look like a lowlife when attempting to defend this.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, I will assume his ass was talking because surely his mouth knows better.

Inspector
10-26-2004, 06:34 PM

Defending the season ending "block" (or whatever you want to call it) speaks to the character of the person defending the action.

TJ - really, really makes himself look like a lowlife when attempting to defend this.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, I will assume his ass was talking because surely his mouth knows better.

Correction: his ass was typing.......

(which of course brings about an unusual visualization that I'd prefer to avoid....)

Nightfyre
10-26-2004, 06:34 PM

But his dog is so cute. You have to forgive him :p

Tinlar
10-26-2004, 06:54 PM
In Texas its legal for me to shoot you if you are standing withing 5 feet of a fence that I own with wire cutters.

BIG_DADDY
10-26-2004, 07:05 PM
But his dog is so cute. You have to forgive him :p

Tortilla is not a real dog, I think it's half rat.

Nightfyre
10-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Tortilla is not a real dog, I think it's half rat.
Damn shanahans mom got around...

Nightfyre
10-26-2004, 10:53 PM
I really cant believe you guys left me hanging on that last one...

Ugly Duck
10-27-2004, 12:23 AM
From the back is illegalNow I'm confused... DonkFan from the Mange:

"he was face to face with him, it wasn't at his back...at his back is a penalty"

It looked to me like Foster was standing behind the Bungle for a while and then just dove down and destroyed his ankle from behind. Now DonkFanz are saying they were face-to-face.... anybody have a clip of that "play?"

BIG_DADDY
10-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Damn shanahans mom got around...

ROFL I hear she gives 2 for 1's on Friday night. I wonder if she charges more or less to let the whole pack of chihuahua's have their way with her. :hmmm: Explains Taco now that I think about it.Taco an Tortilla might actually share the same mom, interesting.

Taco John
10-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Now I'm confused... DonkFan from the Mange:

"he was face to face with him, it wasn't at his back...at his back is a penalty"

It looked to me like Foster was standing behind the Bungle for a while and then just dove down and destroyed his ankle from behind. Now DonkFanz are saying they were face-to-face.... anybody have a clip of that "play?"

Last I checked, offensive linemen start the play facing the defensive line. But I can see how you'd be confused by that. In Oakland, I hear the defense lines up backwards so that they can get a better view of the touchdown being scored in their endzone.

Ugly Duck
10-27-2004, 12:42 AM
Ahhh, memories....

Illegal block costs Herndon week's pay

NFL.com wire reports

DENVER (Dec. 5, 2002) -- Denver Broncoz guard Steve Herndon was fined one game's pay by the NFL for an illegal block on San Diego Chargers defensive tackle Jamal Williams.

Herndon's clip came in a Dec. 1 loss to the Chargers and ended Williams' season. In the third quarter of San Diego's 30-27 overtime victory, Williams was chasing Denver running back Clinton Portis on a screen pass when Herndon hit him from behind.

Ugly Duck
10-27-2004, 12:45 AM
League says Neil clipped Cox from behind

By John Clayton ESPN.com

New England Patriots linebacker Bryan Cox vowed to seek justice on the field after a low block delivered by Denver guard Dan Neil broke his leg. The NFL delivered its own version of justice Thursday.

The NFL fined Neil $15,000 for what it determined to be an illegal clip on Cox in the open field. A week ago, the league fined Denver tackle Matt Lepsis for rolling up on the back of Maa Tanuvasa's leg on a play in which the Chargers defensive lineman was lost for the season.

"Specifically, on a pass play, you clipped your opponent from behind and below the knee," NFL Director of Football Operations Gene Washington wrote to Neil.

According to NFL rules, no clipping from behind and below the waist against a non-runner is permitted. Clipping above the knees is legal in what is described as "close-line play." That is the area between the tackles and three yards on either side of the line of scrimmage.

Demonpenz
10-27-2004, 12:46 AM
TJ.... I made this post on another thread. I don't believe it requires you abandoning Bronco fanship or shit distrubing to agtree with.... what is your response?

Here's what I don't get...

The "block" was legal. We're told that repeatedly by Broncos fans. And were reminded of it repeatedly by Michaels and Madden last night.

But, obviously it's quite prone to injury. Why is it still legal? Why not change the rules?

I'd say I can't blame the Broncos for taking advantage of it being legal... taking advantage of the fact that d-lineman being worried about their careers making them not think about their assignments so they can win a game.... but, that's an awfully Machiavellian stance. It's plain and simple unsportsmanlike.

But... since it's apparently so well known.. .why not change the rule?

It drags down the O

We can aim all the hatred we want at the Broncos... but, the simple fact is, our hatred is misplaced. The NFL should outlaw that sort of blocking to prevent people from using the threat of a broken leg to weaken defense.

Ugly Duck
10-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Broncoz | Insult to Injury: Anderson Fined - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:21:34 -0700

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncoz RB Mike Anderson was fined $2,500 for an illegal chop block during the team's preseason game against the Houston Texans.

Demonpenz
10-27-2004, 12:47 AM
People want to see the O, not the D, that is why it is not illegal

Ugly Duck
10-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Officials continue cracking down on Broncoz

By Len Pasquarelli ESPN.com

Continuing to draw the close scrutiny of league officials, who apparently have heard more than enough complaints about the Denver Broncoz blocking schemes, yet another fine has been levied against a member of the team's offensive line.

Right tackle Matt Lepsis has been fined $7,500, league officials confirmed, for an illegal leg whip block against the Miami Dolphins in last Sunday's game. It marked the second time this year that Lepsis has drawn a fine for an illegal block, the first a $15,000 sanction for a cut block that broke the leg of San Diego defensive lineman Maa Tanuvasa, a punishment that he has appealed.

This marks at least the fifth instance in 2001 in which a Denver blocker has been fined for illegal tactics. As a team, the Broncoz have now been fined nearly $158,000 for on-field incidents,

Ugly Duck
10-27-2004, 01:01 AM
By Ryan Thorburn, Camera Sports Writer September 21, 2004

Shanahan said there was nothing malicious about the play in which Jaguars defensive end Paul Spicer suffered a broken leg. Some of the Jacksonville players thought it was a dirty cut block by Droughns

"Nothing like that is designed," Shanahan said. "On a running play those things do happen. It is just unfortunate it had to happen then."

Ugly Duck
10-27-2004, 01:09 AM
Rams Notebook: Broncoz are still considered to be cut-blockers
By Jim Thomas Of the Post-Dispatch

For the Rams' defensive line, playing the Denver Broncoz means just one
thing: watch your knees.

For years, Denver has had a reputation of having one of the dirtiest
offensive lines in the National Football League. The Rams' game with
Denver to open the 2000 season did nothing to change that reputation.

After the game, the Rams sent about 10 plays to the NFL office for
review. The league office later agreed than on most or all of the plays,
the Broncoz were guilty of holding or otherwise illegal blocks. But no
penalties were called on the plays in the game, and no fines were
subsequently levied.

Cut blocking is a term used to describe blocks below the waist. If it's
done in front of the defender, it's legal. It may be distasteful,
because if you go for a man's knees, you threaten his career. But it's
legal.

However, if you cut block from behind a defender, that's illegal

Mark M
10-27-2004, 07:12 AM
BurritoBoy never did answer my questions ...

MM

ZepSinger
10-27-2004, 07:22 AM
BurritoBoy never did answer my questions ...

MM

How could he? There are no legitimate answers.

Mile High Mania
10-27-2004, 07:27 AM
Now I'm confused... DonkFan from the Mange:

If I recall correctly ... Foster was staring at the back of the guy's jersey, then as the guy turned to his left ... Foster cracked him. (not defending him here, just pointing out what I recall) Again, I said in another thread that this was a play I didn't agree with and if he gets fined/suspended ... so be it.

chief4life
10-27-2004, 07:33 AM
They just had Joe Theisman on the Mike and Mike show on espn radio. And he was outraged and was saying that something has to be done. He was saying that 5 people have got severley injured by bronco players with this chop block. And he is personally going to file an appeal that this be stopped. Because dlineman shouldn't fear there career when facing the broncos. Just thought you would like to know that it isnt only us that is outraged about this.

stevieray
10-27-2004, 07:34 AM
I can't even watch them play , othe htan against the Chiefs.

they tarnish the game.

chief4life
10-27-2004, 07:37 AM
If I recall correctly ... Foster was staring at the back of the guy's jersey, then as the guy turned to his left ... Foster cracked him. (not defending him here, just pointing out what I recall) Again, I said in another thread that this was a play I didn't agree with and if he gets fined/suspended ... so be it.

Idiot he went for his knees he could of went for his body but he deliberately went for his kness. I don't by that the dlineman was out position. That is total bunk and you know it. Foster should get suspended plain and simple. :mad:

Mile High Mania
10-27-2004, 07:39 AM
Idiot he went for his knees he could of went for his body but he deliberately went for his kness. I don't by that the dlineman was out position. That is total bunk and you know it. Foster should get suspended plain and simple. :mad:

Moron ... I was just recalling how I viewed it and was not defending the hit. Reading is fundamental.

chief4life
10-27-2004, 07:44 AM
Moron ... I was just recalling how I viewed it and was not defending the hit. Reading is fundamental.

My bad I read it wrong but he isnt the only one doing it. Dlineman should't fear there jobs when playing the broncos. I hope this is stopped quick because to me that is cheating. Just my 2 cents

Mile High Mania
10-27-2004, 07:44 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~86~2493855,00.html

They have a deal on it in the DPO today.

BigRedChief
10-27-2004, 07:45 AM

I go over to the mange and the majority are defending the cheap shot. Theres right and there is wrong. Most people know how to tell the difference. Evidently is a little fuzzy out in Denver.

Mile High Mania
10-27-2004, 07:49 AM
My bad I read it wrong but he isnt the only one doing it. Dlineman should't fear there jobs when playing the broncos. I hope this is stopped quick because to me that is cheating. Just my 2 cents

I hear ya ... I just had to combat the Idiot remark. :)

I'm not a fan of what I saw Foster do on MNF ... it's tough to defend that, but not all of the "blocks in question" look as badly as that one did. I'm sure that at times, a lineman will purposely go for that kill shot - and it's wrong.

Nobody should fear their job with a cheapshot... I do believe, however, that b/c of their reputation - many hits or blocks that are screamed about being illegal, really are not.

I think you could go through a Broncos' game thread here any Sunday and read remarks about a dozen illegal blocks ... in reality, most are not - it's the reputation they have though and have to deal with it, especially when fines roll around.

TEX
10-27-2004, 08:24 AM

I'm not a fan of what I saw Foster do on MNF ... it's tough to defend that, but not all of the "blocks in question" look as badly as that one did. I'm sure that at times, a lineman will purposely go for that kill shot - and it's wrong.

Nobody should fear their job with a cheapshot... I do believe, however, that b/c of their reputation - many hits or blocks that are screamed about being illegal, really are not.

I think you could go through a Broncos' game thread here any Sunday and read remarks about a dozen illegal blocks ... in reality, most are not - it's the reputation they have though and have to deal with it, especially when fines roll around.

But I wonder how many of said blocks would be cheap shots? My guess is pretty close to that dozen you're talking about... :hmmm:

Why is it that we talk about this sort of thing on an annual basis when it comes to the DONX? Something just isn't right. Maybe if it starts happening to your team at the same rate that your team does it to others, you would see things a bit differently.

Ugly Duck
10-27-2004, 08:38 AM
b/c of their reputation - many hits or blocks that are screamed about being illegal, really are not.Which came first - the reputation or the screaming?? Judging from the record amount of fines for Donky cheapshots handed down by the NFL, this seems to have more meat to it than your post would indicate....

tiptap
10-27-2004, 08:46 AM
MNF mentioned two teams that historically been associated with blocking that attacks a defensive players lower leg. Denver and San Francisco. SF during their hay day ran sweeps and the lineman were taught to go off their feet to attack the CB or LB's lower leg. This did lead to injuries and when Dallas' Dieon Sanders was hurt the level of injuries led to the rules that confined blocks at the lower leg to the immediate line play and not on sweeps. In addition the blocks have to be a sort of rolling pattern now that is practiced by Denver (that does have tha great possibility of leading to leg whips though).

The level of injuries will go up this year as Atlanta now acts similarly and the NFC has a team that is doing this. Twice the action means twice the incidents and the rule will be changed. Whether it will mean less injuries I don't know. But the rate of injuries is starting to erode play.

ROYC75
10-27-2004, 08:49 AM
IMHO, cut blocks should be illegal as well as a chop block. Many times a player has been injured from a cut block.

The NFL needs top get with the program.

TEX
10-27-2004, 09:07 AM
MNF mentioned two teams that historically been associated with blocking that attacks a defensive players lower leg. Denver and San Francisco. SF during their hay day ran sweeps and the lineman were taught to go off their feet to attack the CB or LB's lower leg. This did lead to injuries and when Dallas' Dieon Sanders was hurt the level of injuries led to the rules that confined blocks at the lower leg to the immediate line play and not on sweeps. In addition the blocks have to be a sort of rolling pattern now that is practiced by Denver (that does have tha great possibility of leading to leg whips though).

The level of injuries will go up this year as Atlanta now acts similarly and the NFC has a team that is doing this. Twice the action means twice the incidents and the rule will be changed. Whether it will mean less injuries I don't know. But the rate of injuries is starting to erode play.

The TEXANS also use the "zone blocking" scheme.

picasso
10-27-2004, 09:30 AM
What I dont get is the Bengals player wasn't engaged when he was cut blocked. Isn't that a penalty? Same as it was in the Chiefs game when it happened.

Mile High Mania
10-27-2004, 09:33 AM

So the list of teams to watch are Denver, Atlanta and Houston... the next two Denver home games should be interesting viewing.

Mile High Mania
10-27-2004, 09:35 AM
What I dont get is the Bengals player wasn't engaged when he was cut blocked. Isn't that a penalty? Same as it was in the Chiefs game when it happened.

That's the main reason I didn't support the move ... the defender was just watching the play (several yards away) and then turned to the left and was subsequently hit low. I would have thought Foster could have just leveled him up high from that position...

ROYC75
10-27-2004, 09:35 AM
So the list of teams to watch are Denver, Atlanta and Houston... the next two Denver home games should be interesting viewing.

As they say, What goes around comes around !

Brock
10-27-2004, 09:42 AM
I sure hope TrevorPryce doesn't suffer a career ending injury over the next couple of weeks. That would be really sad.

ZepSinger
10-27-2004, 09:45 AM
I sure hope TrevorPryce doesn't suffer a career ending injury over the next couple of weeks. That would be really sad.

Or to use TJ's phrase, unfortunate.

alanm
10-27-2004, 10:32 AM

I think you could go through a Broncos' game thread here any Sunday and read remarks about a dozen illegal blocks ... in reality, most are not - it's the reputation they have though and have to deal with it, especially when fines roll around.You gotta wonder if the flags will be a flying against Denver this coming Sunday. Because you know the Refs will be paying close attention. They may have to alter their game plan somewhat.

Garcia Bronco
10-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Bottom line is...cut blocks are legal...now if you think it's cheap...fine....maybe it is...but they are legal blocks. The NFL says so. When the NFL changes the rule...fine. What happens if the NFL decides that taking any player low on the field is illegal?

philfree
10-27-2004, 10:41 AM
You gotta wonder if the flags will be a flying against Denver this coming Sunday. Because you know the Refs will be paying close attention. They may have to alter their game plan somewhat.

Besides being cheapshot artist the Donks whole blocking scheme is based on getting the D line to take a step in one direction and then holding them for a two count as the RB cuts back through the backside hole. It's kinda like WWC or whatever they call it these days. The officials see the hold but as long as the O lineman break the hold before a three count they don't call it. Hopefully the officials will be watching them more the rest of the season and will actually throw flags at them for their cheating. Dirty, cheatin' bastards anyway :cuss:

PhilFree :arrow:

KC Jones
10-27-2004, 10:58 AM

The Chiefs also use zone blocking. Zone blocking is an overall assignment scheme whereas cut blocking is a technique scheme. Everyone uses cut blocks to some extent. All RBs are taught to cut block for pass protection. Hell in HS we had a number of passing plays that all called for cut blocks. It's a question of where and how you use them. Denver likes to cut people from the side (well AFTER the play has started BTW), which is a lot different than firing low off the line at the guys legs across from you at the snap.

I did notice one of Atlanta's Olinemen hit Siavii in the legs from behind when he had a straight line for Vick. I was pretty pissed watching Siavii limp around after that - it could have ended his career.

philfree
10-27-2004, 11:01 AM
I did notice one of Atlanta's Olinemen hit Siavii in the legs from behind when he had a straight line for Vick. I was pretty pissed watching Siavii limp around after that - it could have ended his career.

They actually called it on that play. Jr hasn't practiced this week and will prolly miss this weeks game though so.......... :cuss:

PhilFree :arrow:

Garcia Bronco
10-27-2004, 11:20 AM
The Chiefs also use zone blocking. Zone blocking is an overall assignment scheme whereas cut blocking is a technique scheme. Everyone uses cut blocks to some extent. All RBs are taught to cut block for pass protection. Hell in HS we had a number of passing plays that all called for cut blocks. It's a question of where and how you use them. Denver likes to cut people from the side (well AFTER the play has started BTW), which is a lot different than firing low off the line at the guys legs across from you at the snap.

Do you think the size of players has a role in the use of cut blocking?

KC Jones
10-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Do you think the size of players has a role in the use of cut blocking?

Most NFL RBs aren't going to stop a breakaway D-lineman or a beefy LB without a cut block. So I can see why someone would think size is a factor. However I think when your head on head and you can see someone's going for your legs is what makes it okay. It's when your getting blindsided that the really bad injuries happen. I think Denver delivers these kinds of injuries more often than others because their technique along the line is to start out up high and then go low. The defensive player might be going around the O-linemen when he suddenly dives at his legs. As far as the rules go he's more or less in front of the guy and his head is thrown in front of the guys body, but the D-linemen has little chance to know it's coming and the force of the blow is directed at the side of the leg/knee instead of the front.

TEX
10-27-2004, 02:14 PM

Especially if it were "legal." :hmmm:

tk13
10-27-2004, 02:49 PM
They're talking about the Broncos and cut blocking on ESPN right now on NFL Live..

Demonpenz
10-27-2004, 03:01 PM
They're talking about the Broncos and cut blocking on ESPN right now on NFL Live..

Do they get points or something in the coach's room for getting guys on the ground? If they are rewarded with anything for pancake blocks or getting guys on the ground they need to rethink that.

Garcia Bronco
10-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Most NFL RBs aren't going to stop a breakaway D-lineman or a beefy LB without a cut block. So I can see why someone would think size is a factor. However I think when your head on head and you can see someone's going for your legs is what makes it okay. It's when your getting blindsided that the really bad injuries happen. I think Denver delivers these kinds of injuries more often than others because their technique along the line is to start out up high and then go low. The defensive player might be going around the O-linemen when he suddenly dives at his legs. As far as the rules go he's more or less in front of the guy and his head is thrown in front of the guys body, but the D-linemen has little chance to know it's coming and the force of the blow is directed at the side of the leg/knee instead of the front.

I see your point...although decreased from the front...there still exists the chance of a broken ankle..or some other injury...when a tackle or block is made below the waist. I'll be interested to see the league's reaction in the off-season.

tk13
10-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Do they get points or something in the coach's room for getting guys on the ground? If they are rewarded with anything for pancake blocks or getting guys on the ground they need to rethink that.
Did you watch that? I thought it was a pretty good segment... especially since Sclereth spent many years in the Bronco locker room. Sclereth said that obviously they never wanted to hurt anyone, but he said that the coaches always reinforced the idea that the O-line needs to put as many people on the ground as possible.

Sclereth said that if he had his way he'd make it so that you can cut block, but cut block at thigh level, not below that. Sean Salisbury pretty much echoed my thoughts on the matter... that cut blocking necessarily isn't a bad thing, but when you take an intentional unnecessary cheap shot when a guy isn't facing you that is completely unnecessary because it's way far away from the play, it's a bush-league cowardly act. It was like having a clean shot at a QB sack and instead of going high you purposely try to crack his knees. Salisbury gets pretty animated over it though... said if it happened to a guy on his team he'd make sure that Foster was holding his ACL in one hand by the end of the game.

Demonpenz
10-27-2004, 03:11 PM
It doesn't excuse it at all, but I wonder if there is some board where they keep score of defenders on the ground, and you know how Olineman are, nothing matters but their goals. I wonder if a guy could be so locked in for the entire game of putting people on the ground and getting an extra star, that he did that. Back in my day we had some pancake stickers we handed out, and there were some guys that would make sure they hit a corner and pancaked him so they get thrown a cookie when watching tapes. Man that play was disgusting though, i mean seriously he could have just gotten in the way.