PDA

View Full Version : You're the head coach, who should be the nickle back this week?

Chiefnj
10-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Dexter - Maybe the demotion put a fire under him and he'll improve his game.

Sapp - Undersized and raw, but his tenacious attitude will be an asset.

Battle - Athletic but raw. Will likely draw a couple of flags for being too physical, but is that acceptable against the Colts who will kill you if you let the receivers clean off of the line?

Rain Man
10-26-2004, 11:01 AM
McCleon. He can cover those shifty Colts receivers. Sapp may be on the rise, but in the preseason his coverage needed improvement, and Battle, while unfairly victimized a time or two on those calls, still needs to prove he can play within the new ticky-tack rules. The time to do that is not against Indianapolis.

Phobia
10-26-2004, 11:01 AM
We'll be in a dime for half the game, so it doesn't really matter, IMO. Sapp and McCleon will be fine as long as we generate good pressure.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2004, 11:04 AM
McCleon if he's healthy

he's a pretty decent cover guy IF you chose who he covers. He's not big enough,fast enough to cover the Chad Johnson's etc of the league.

put him against the #3 receivers and he's fine IMO

it was unfair to ask him to match up against the primo #1 receivers in the first place

Deberg_1990
10-26-2004, 11:06 AM
McCleon if he's healthy

he's a pretty decent cover guy IF you chose who he covers. He's not big enough,fast enough to cover the Chad Johnson's etc of the league.

put him against the #3 receivers and he's fine IMO

it was unfair to ask him to match up against the primo #1 receivers in the first place

Brandon Stokley will eat Mcleon Alive.......he will get some help

David.
10-26-2004, 11:07 AM
nah, I think Mcleon will handle stokely.

chiefz
10-26-2004, 11:08 AM
I would almost like to see Battle play nickel since we already have two big physical guys in there starting at corner.

Deberg_1990
10-26-2004, 11:08 AM
nah, I think Mcleon will handle stokely.

What makes you think that?? Stokley is one of the best # 3 recievers in the game.

HC_Chief
10-26-2004, 11:09 AM
McCleon.

David.
10-26-2004, 11:10 AM
and Mcleon used to be a number one CB. Mcleon has no trouble with small quick recievers. It's the receivers who are 4 inches taller and more physical that destroy him.

chiefz
Stokely is having a monster year, I have him on my fantasy team and he has been the number 1 target in several games this season.

CosmicPal
Well, if I was the head coach- I'd ask my defensive coordinator and his team of coaches.

I'd evaluate their suggestions, and base my determination upon their working with the players and the schemes.

David.
10-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Stokely is having a monster year, I have him on my fantasy team and he has been the number 1 target in several games this season.

because teams have to put their 2 best corners on Harrison and Wayne. I think we have a better than average nickel back in Mcleon. He'll do fine.

HolmeZz
10-26-2004, 11:14 AM
I don't think McCleon will be as bad covering a slot receiver as he has been working on the outside. You don't have to be very physical to cover a slot guy, and that's a weakness of McPassOn's.

Deberg_1990
10-26-2004, 11:15 AM
They key to winning this game will be to see if Gunther can outsmart Manning. Our problem in the playoff game was that Grobs's blitz's were too obvious and Manning knew what was coming so he audibled out to a different play. Im still not convinced that Gun will blitz that much..he may try and give that impression to Manning, but then have everyone hang back in coverage. One thing that i havent seen anyone bring up before is that Gun knows Manning pretty well from having played against him several times over the past 3 years when he was coaching with Tennesee. He should know his tendancies pretty well.

chiefz
10-26-2004, 11:17 AM
because teams have to put their 2 best corners on Harrison and Wayne. I think we have a better than average nickel back in Mcleon. He'll do fine.

Often Stokely makes great catches no matter who is covering him.

Chiefnj
10-26-2004, 11:17 AM
I'm leaning toward Sapp because if Gunther intends on blitzing the corners on occassion, Sapp has shown the ability to get through to the QB.

milkman
10-27-2004, 11:31 AM
I don't like McPassOn in man coverage, at any time, against any receiver.

The only reason he hasn't been the subject of negative discussions prior to this season is because Spinner's scheme hid the fact that he can't cover one on one.

I'd rather take my chances with Sapp.

Demonpenz
10-27-2004, 11:34 AM
they should be larry johnson at nickle

Spicy McHaggis
10-27-2004, 12:36 PM
How healthy are Sapp and McCleon respectively. Sapp was nursing that leg during Sunday's game and I heard McCleon was on the injury report for something. Injuries not withstanding I would play McCleon in the Nickle.

bricks
10-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Who should be starting nickel back this week? McCleon. That's a no-brainer. You ain't gonna put Battle in there he's too raw. Sapp is a great blitzer, don't know too much about him when it comes to coverage.
But, yeah I'll take my chances with McCleon he's a proven nickel back in this league. You just can't throw in your raw guys, especially against Manning and the Colts. Gotta go with McCleon. Plus, he can jam at the line, which is also good. Remember what he did to David Boston? Last year, game 1 against the Chargers.

Swanman
10-27-2004, 12:47 PM
They key to winning this game will be to see if Gunther can outsmart Manning. Our problem in the playoff game was that Grobs's blitz's were too obvious and Manning knew what was coming so he audibled out to a different play. Im still not convinced that Gun will blitz that much..he may try and give that impression to Manning, but then have everyone hang back in coverage. One thing that i havent seen anyone bring up before is that Gun knows Manning pretty well from having played against him several times over the past 3 years when he was coaching with Tennesee. He should know his tendancies pretty well.

In the AFC Championship last year, New England did an amazing job at masking their defenses. They would shift around 2-3 times before every snap, which took away Peyton's ability to read the defense at the line and call the play accordingly. He literally would not know the true defensive alignment until right before the ball was snapped.

Also, it's important to whack their receivers a few times early in the game, as NE did last year. If their receivers become tentative late in the game, the Chiefs will have a huge advantage.

J Diddy
10-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Who should be starting nickel back this week? McCleon. That's a no-brainer. You ain't gonna put Battle in there he's too raw. Sapp is a great blitzer, don't know too much about him when it comes to coverage.
But, yeah I'll take my chances with McCleon he's a proven nickel back in this league. You just can't throw in your raw guys, especially against Manning and the Colts. Gotta go with McCleon. Plus, he can jam at the line, which is also good. Remember what he did to David Boston? Last year, game 1 against the Chargers.

Mcleon of 2004 is half the player of Mcleon of 2003.

Probably should just change his name to Leon.

KCTitus
10-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Mcleon of 2004 is half the player of Mcleon of 2003.

Probably should just change his name to Leon.

Ok, that was funny...

Soupnazi
10-27-2004, 02:09 PM
McCleon. His toughest task seems to be taking on tall wideouts. Not the case this week.