PDA

View Full Version : NFT: B-Movie Hall of Fame

Hel'n
10-26-2004, 02:25 PM
http://www.b-movie.com/hof/hof.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Zsa Zsa Gabor and Sonny Chiba reached the heights of low-budget filmmaking as they were among those selected by cinephiles around the world for induction into the B-Movie Hall of Fame.

Chiba, the Japanese icon of martial-arts flicks including "Gangster Cop" (1970) and "The Street Fighter" (1974), and Hungarian-born glamour girl Zsa Zsa Gabor, of such campy films as "The Girl in the Kremlin" (1957) and "The Queen of Outer Space" (1958), were among 10 artists and 10 films honored Monday.

The seventh annual Hall of Fame voting was done at B-Movie Theater, a Web site (http://www.b-movie.com) celebrating the art of low-budget film-making. Online voters were provided ballots listing 100 nominated films and 100 nominated artists.

Winning the most votes for an individual artist was actress Debbie Rochon, whose films include "Black Easter" (1994) and "Hellblock 13" (1999). Rochon hosted the 1999 inaugural B-movie film festival held each year in Syracuse, New York.

British writer and director Clive Barker, who created the long-running "Hellraiser" and "Candyman" series, received the second highest total.

Wes Craven's "The Last House on the Left," (1972) won the most votes for a movie. Others honored included "White Zombie" (1932) and "Curse of the Demon" (1957).

Other artists inducted included Larry "Buster" Crabbe, who played Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers in popular serials, and directors Sam Fuller, helmsman of high-powered dramas like "The Baron of Arizona" (1950) and "Shock Corridor" (1963), and Edgar G. Ulmer, who made "The Black Cat" (1934) and "Detour" (1945).

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&u=/nm/20041026/od_nm/bmovies_dc&printer=1

Hel'n
10-26-2004, 02:32 PM
So what's your favorite b-movie?

Mine is "The Blob"...

Of course, "Plan 9 from Outer Space" ranks right up there...

el borracho
10-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Does "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" qualify as a B movie? If it does, it has got to be the most popular and successful B movie ever.

Bowser
10-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Humanoids From the Deep was terrible.

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 02:52 PM
I guess I've got a different definition of B movie than these folks, tho. I didn't think Clerks would qualify. I didn't think simply being independent and low budget made a movie a B movie.
I agree. I thought the term "B movie" implied a certain cheese factor.

I actually have Killer Klowns from outer space on DVD, but I've never watched it.

Bowser
10-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Awesome, Killer Klowns from Outer Space is in there as well. That movie rawks.

I guess I've got a different definition of B movie than these folks, tho. I didn't think Clerks would qualify. I didn't think simply being independent and low budget made a movie a B movie.

I'm looking forward to the Clerks sequel - The Passion of the Clerks!!

ROFL

Miles
10-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Awesome, Killer Klowns from Outer Space is in there as well. That movie rawks.

Definitly agree...just becase a movie is Independet and may have some lower production values its not a B movie.

When i think of B movies i think of shitty horror movies that are cool because they are shitty.

Hel'n
10-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Does "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" qualify as a B movie? If it does, it has got to be the most popular and successful B movie ever.

I think you can safely say it is a B-movie...

:)

Sure-Oz
10-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Dead Alive

Hel'n
10-26-2004, 02:57 PM
When i think of B movies i think of shitty horror movies that are cool because they are shitty.

I definitely agree!!!!!

Like the original "The Thing" or "It Came from Outer Space"...

Kylo Ren
10-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Fahrenheit 9/11 was pretty bad. I think it'll go down as one of the all time worst. It'll probably become one of those cult classics. People will watch it over and over again. They'll repeat the lines in the movie, then laugh hysterically.

Sure-Oz
10-26-2004, 02:59 PM
KKFOS was funny as hell in a really stupid way, kinda like Jack Frost.

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 03:00 PM
No f*ckin way!

You've never seen the movie at all... or just haven't watched the DVD? Haven't seen it at all...

I heard about it a long time ago. (Probably here) Then I saw it in the bargain bin at Walmart for like 6 bucks, so I picked it up. I figured some night I'd pop it in after a few beers , but I forgot about it till you mentioned it.

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Dang... Wal-Mart... wonder if it's edited for content...
I don't know. I don't think they edit movies, do they?

If so... it doesn't say so anywhere on the case. :shrug:

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 03:05 PM
I have no idea.

As a general rule, I don't buy much of anything there. Yeah... least of all CDs. I made that mistake once.

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 03:14 PM
You gotta buy your records at a joint like this (http://www.ziarecords.com/). Then, not only do you get the music you want, but you get to stare at the weird chicks with the pink hair, nose piercings, tattoos and shit.

I don't run across many of those on days I don't go to the record store. Heh.. this reminds me of High Fidelity.

The closest thing we have around here would be the Record "Wear" House. They specialize in inscense, novelty T's, and *ahem* smoking accesories.

Sure-Oz
10-26-2004, 03:16 PM
ROFL

It was pretty common around the fraternity house to hear folks say, "Hey, where'd the carrot go?" in reference to the bathtub scene.
Everyone i know has asked that same question as well lol! ROFL Never saw jack frost 2 though. I only saw that movie cause of shannon elizabeth though, funny nonetheless! :thumb:

Miles
10-26-2004, 03:26 PM
I don't know. I don't think they edit movies, do they?

If so... it doesn't say so anywhere on the case. :shrug:

Its fine. As far as i know they dont edit movies at all like they do with music. They just dont carry unrated or NC-17 cuts of movies. They always carry the R rated cut instead. There is also a good chance they dont carry some of the more foul R rated movies but im not sure on this one.

Demonpenz
10-26-2004, 03:26 PM
boon dock saints

Miles
10-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Shannon Elizabeth was in that movie? I haven't seen it in years... and I don't think I ever saw it sober.

I have seen it in years but i seem to remember her geting raped by the snowman...

Demonpenz
10-26-2004, 03:28 PM
I have seen it in years but i seem to remember her geting raped by the snowman...

it's safe to say he likes given a snowball

Demonpenz
10-26-2004, 03:29 PM
i would like to say jack frost with michael keatan is very very creepy.

Demonpenz
10-26-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm BATMAN!

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 03:31 PM
There is also a good chance they dont carry some of the more foul R rated movies but im not sure on this one. I've always thought it was funny that you can buy Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but not an unedited CD.

Megbert
10-26-2004, 03:33 PM
I enjoyed this little film called Head of the Family (http://imdb.com/title/tt0116503/). A family controlled telepathically by a wheelchair bound mutant 'head'. What, I ask you could be better? It's the "Citizen Kane" of mutant head movies.

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter is a good one too, as is Killer Klowns from Outter Space.

Bowser
10-26-2004, 03:35 PM
What, no Roadhouse?? Best movie Jeff Healey was ever in!

Sure-Oz
10-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Shannon Elizabeth was in that movie? I haven't seen it in years... and I don't think I ever saw it sober.
Yeah i believe she was in that well renouned bathtub scene, one of her finest!

Miles
10-26-2004, 03:38 PM
I've always thought it was funny that you can buy Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but not an unedited CD.

No shit that make no sense at all. If they applied their moral philophy to movies they would should only sell PG movies, yet you can buy Basic Instinct there.

KcMizzou
10-26-2004, 03:39 PM
No shit that make no sense at all. If they applied their moral philophy to movies they would should only sell PG movies, yet you can buy Basic Instinct there. Yep.

I don't know if it's nation-wide, or only around here... but they've even pulled Maxim and Stuff magazine off their shelves.

Bowser
10-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Snatch can be considered a b-movie, can't it? Or does it have too many big name stars?

Deberg_1990
10-26-2004, 03:43 PM
What, no Roadhouse?? Best movie Jeff Healey was ever in!

haha..one of my favorite "Guilty Pleasures"

"yea, and i thought ud be..bigger"

Miles
10-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Snatch can be considered a b-movie, can't it? Or does it have too many big name stars?

Nah its a mainstreen indy flick.

Hel'n
10-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Fahrenheit 9/11 was pretty bad. I think it'll go down as one of the all time worst. It'll probably become one of those cult classics. People will watch it over and over again. They'll repeat the lines in the movie, then laugh hysterically.

WTF? Are you a fool or a stalker? This is about B-movies lamebrain...