PDA

View Full Version : Blaylock part of Green trade?

Wile_E_Coyote
10-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Chiefs' Blaylock in Awkward Position

By STEVE BRISENDINE
AP Sports Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Four touchdowns against the NFL's top run defense would earn most backups a starting job and an exemption from special teams duty. Derrick Blaylock's situation is anything but typical, though.
Blaylock scored four of the Kansas City Chiefs' NFL-record eight TDs rushing and followed one of his scores with a tackle on the ensuing kickoff in Sunday's 56-10 victory over Atlanta.

But in his fourth NFL season and with the end of his contract approaching, Blaylock finds himself stuck between the greatest back in franchise history and a disgruntled No. 1 draft pick who coach Dick Vermeil still insists will make an impact in Kansas City.

"I can't think about that right now," said Blaylock, whose 122 yards this year are already a career high. "I'm focused on this season right now."
http://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gifhttp://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gifhttp://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gifhttp://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gifBlaylock played much of the second half Sunday, finishing with 90 yards on 19 carries, after Priest Holmes - who also scored four touchdowns and set up Blaylock for a gimme 1-yard TD by just missing a fifth - sustained a mild ankle sprain.

Holmes did not practice Wednesday, but could start Sunday against Indianapolis, and Vermeil said he expects second-year back Larry Johnson to be active for that game.

Johnson, an insurance No. 1 pick in 2003 when Holmes was coming off hip surgery, has been inactive for four of six games this year. Although Vermeil expected to use him against the Colts, Blaylock's status as Holmes' top backup doesn't seem to be in any immediate danger.

"I get such a thrill out of seeing a guy do what he has done, coming from where he has come and developing his skills," Vermeil said. "It's a great salute to (running backs coach) James Saxon, who works with him, and the coaches who have confidence in him."
http://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gifhttp://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gif http://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gifhttp://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gif
Blaylock came to Kansas City in 2001 as part of a deal that brought Pro Bowl quarterback Trent Green to the Chiefs.

Kansas City had to give the St. Louis Rams their first- and third-round picks in exchange for Green. But they also demanded an extra fifth-round pick from the Rams in return for those concessions and used that to take Blaylock out of Stephen F. Austin.

He was inactive throughout the 2001 season, gained 72 yards in 12 games in 2002 and saw backup duty at running back in 15 games last year, when he ran for 112 yards on 22 carries.

"I've been patient the whole time I've been here. I knew eventually I'd get a chance to play," Blaylock said. "The main thing is you've got to be patient and wait your turn, and your turn will come.

"I went out there Sunday and got the job done, therefore they have more faith in me."

Whether that faith translates into a free-agent offer remains to be seen.

This week, Vermeil hinted at a larger role for Blaylock without saying where he envisioned that happening.

"This opens the eyes of people around (the league) that he may be a starting running back," Vermeil said. "But to me, that's coaching satisfaction."

Hammock Parties
10-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Cool. I'm still not sure how good Blaylock is. I don't think he's as good as he showed last Sunday.

Waiting for him to break a long one with that great speed he has.

Sure-Oz
10-27-2004, 05:51 PM
He's got the goofiest looking grill but he can sure fly in the open field. He was solid last weekend for sure.

Mr. Laz
10-27-2004, 05:52 PM
i think we sent our 1st rounder (12th) to st. louis

and

st. louis gave us Trent Green and a 4th or 5th round draft pick

we then traded down with that 4th or 5th round pick and got another 6th round in the trade.

The 6th was used to pick Blaylock

just going from memory though... but yes, eventually we got Blaylock out of the Trent Green trade IIRC.

Bob Dole
10-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Cool. I'm still not sure how good Blaylock is. I don't think he's as good as he showed last Sunday.

Waiting for him to break a long one with that great speed he has.

You didn't watch last year?

To answer the original question:

Blaylock originally joined the Chiefs as the second of the club’s two draft choices in the fifth round of the 2001 NFL Draft (150th overall).

jspchief
10-27-2004, 05:56 PM
i think we sent our 1st rounder (12th) to st. louis

and

st. louis gave us Trent Green and a 4th or 5th round draft pick

we then trade down in the 4th or 5th round and got picked up a 6th round in the trade. The 6th was used to pick Blaylock

just going from memory though... but yes, eventually we got Blaylock out of the Trent Green trade IIRC.

...Or you could just read the article in the thread starter that clearly explains exactly how it happened.:p

Hammock Parties
10-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Blaylock has done well in spot duty and mop-up time. I DO think he is a very good receiving back. I have my doubts about his ability to carry the running game in #31's absence.

I just get a little nervous when he's in there, thats all. :shrug:

Spicy McHaggis
10-27-2004, 05:59 PM
We have an enviable situation here in KC. Having someone as solid as blaylock behind Priest is good piece of mind. Plus what he brings as a sub when he spells Priest. I wish his contract wasn't up at the end of this season.

Mr. Laz
10-27-2004, 06:02 PM
...Or you could just read the article in the thread starter that clearly explains exactly how it happened.:p
:doh!:

:moon:

he had a question mark like he wasnt sure if blaylock was or not

silly me took it as a question and didnt read the dang thing.

besides the article says 5th round... wasn't Blaylock taken in the 6th round?

so maybe that stinkin article is incomplete anyway. :p :p

Chieficus
10-27-2004, 06:25 PM
besides the article says 5th round... wasn't Blaylock taken in the 6th round?

Nope...twas da' 5th...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5598

mikey23545
10-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Blaylock has done well in spot duty and mop-up time. I DO think he is a very good receiving back. I have my doubts about his ability to carry the running game in #31's absence.

Agreed...I just can't figure out if he's worth blowing a little money on to retain his sevices, or if he'll never be more than what he is now....

And it would really help if we could get a little look at LJ under game situations so we could see if it would be better to keep him instead!!!
:banghead:

milkman
10-27-2004, 08:34 PM

I just don't get it?
He's virtually the same size as Priest, has shown some of the same patience, and has better speed.

He may not be Priest, but he looks pretty damn close when he gets to show his stuff.

Why get nervous?

irishjayhawk
10-27-2004, 08:38 PM
I agree. Plus hes younger, not taking away from priest, but he should be, for the moment our RotF for now.

My theory is that the majority of the team, regardless of finish, will come back for one last year. They will exit as Vermiel exits.

Bob Dole
10-27-2004, 10:37 PM
I just don't get it?
He's virtually the same size as Priest, has shown some of the same patience, and has better speed.

He may not be Priest, but he looks pretty damn close when he gets to show his stuff.

Why get nervous?

Exactly.

Bob Dole is not ashamed to admit that there were times last season that Blaylock carried the ball, and until he was tackled and the network cameras got the right angle, Bob Dole thought it was Holmes.

Hammock Parties
10-27-2004, 10:45 PM
I just don't get it?

Why get nervous?

Fumbles.

Bob Dole
10-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Fumbles.

So you're having fantasies about him where he can't hang on to the ball?

He has ONE fumble in his career, and it wasn't lost.

BIG K
10-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Exactly.

Bob Dole is not ashamed to admit that there were times last season that Blaylock carried the ball, and until he was tackled and the network cameras got the right angle, Bob Dole thought it was Holmes.

I still have that problem........ :rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
10-27-2004, 11:58 PM
So you're having fantasies about him where he can't hang on to the ball?

He has ONE fumble in his career, and it wasn't lost.

Did you watch preseason?

And of course he has only one regular season fumble...he's barely carried the ball.

Sorry, I just get the "fumble vibe" off Blaylock. Hate me for it, why don't you?

ROFL

BigMeatballDave
10-28-2004, 02:23 AM
That is not true. DV Drafted him...

KcMizzou
10-28-2004, 02:28 AM
That is not true. DV Drafted him... Read the thread.

Rausch
10-28-2004, 04:57 AM
Fumbles.

I'm more worried about Holmes fumbling right now than Blaylock...

Bob Dole
10-28-2004, 06:14 AM
Hate me for it, why don't you?

No problem.

Pudding?

Gaz
10-28-2004, 06:49 AM
I'm more worried about Holmes fumbling right now than Blaylock...

I wish that was not true.

Of course, with Holmes’ nearly-immaculate record, ANY fumble is a shocking experience that scars the psyche.

Add in the lingering memories of the ill-timed fumble in the last Colts game and the resonance is chilling.

xoxo~
Gaz
Phumblephobe.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
10-28-2004, 07:02 AM

EXACTLY!! :banghead: