PDA

View Full Version : Somebody told me...

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Jack Black is the greatest musician of "our time." (were college students.) I nearly hurled myself out the window (being a music major.)

I felt all sad inside, because this is how LOW american culture has sunk. We appreciate the I IV V garage bands more than we appreciate legitimate music.

Do yourself a favor if you are offended by what I've said here. Go buy a Clifford Brown CD or some Contemporary Symphonies. (Holst's "The Planets" is a good option. That is where John Williams steals all his music from...)

Just a rant.

Rain Man
10-28-2004, 09:20 AM
I thought Jack Black was a comedian. Or is this a different Jack Black?

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 09:21 AM
One in the same. See "Tenacious D." Thats his bands name...

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 09:23 AM
Jack has always been a comedian with a great love for 'rocking out.' He's all about the attitude and passion, not so much the technical proficiency. He formed 'Tenacious D' a rockin' duo with his middle-aged, blad comedian buddy Kyle Gass. He essentially took that character to 'School of Rock' a great movie I'd recommend for anyone of all ages.
He also played a music freak in 'High Fidelity' and too a lesser extent 'Orange County' and a member of a Neil Diamond cover band in 'Saving Silverman.'

Uncle Jesse
10-28-2004, 09:28 AM
He must recognize his shortcomings, and also value some "technical proficiency" because I noticed he has Dave Grohl playing drums now on a somewhat regular basis.

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 09:34 AM
He must recognize his shortcomings, and also value some "technical proficiency" because I noticed he has Dave Grohl playing drums now on a somewhat regular basis.
I'm not saying he revels in a lack of proficiency. He recognizes his lack of proficiency. He's all about attitude and passion. In the commentary for School of Rock, he was very respectful of the talents of his pre-teen co-stars.

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Im just saying he is definitely not the best musician of the time and anyone who thinks that may need to expand their horizons a bit.
-edit
This is by no means an attack on Jack Black. His name was just the one mentioned.

KCTitus
10-28-2004, 09:36 AM
the HBO show Tenacious D was hilarous...

As far as Black being the greatest musician...heck no, that goes to Motley Crue...they rock!

Phobia
10-28-2004, 09:37 AM
He's not the very best, but he's, like, top 5 or something....

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 09:40 AM
*sighs dejectedly*

KCTitus
10-28-2004, 09:42 AM
*sighs dejectedly*

I do what I can to help out...

KCTitus
10-28-2004, 09:43 AM
He's not the very best, but he's, like, top 5 or something....

Just ahead of Lynrd Skynrd...

Uncle Jesse
10-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Something I noticed after watching Tenacious D is that Jack Black and Stevie Ray Vaughn have very similar styles and soloing ability, although I'm not sure Jack Black goes with the heavy gauge strings like SRV did

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Something tells me this thread is not accomplishing what it was intended to....

Braincase
10-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Wait... did Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Wynton Marselis, John Wiliams, Stanley Clarke, Les Claypool, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and a few hundred thousand other musicians die overnight.

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Timeout, I already flamed Williams. And Arturo Sandoval is up there too....
--edit
But its nice to see some evidence of cultured existance out there, even if minute...

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-28-2004, 10:18 AM
It's ludicris and moronic to say the Jack Black is the greatest musician of our time! We all know that it's really Dolly Parton!!!!............or maybe Charo.....

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 10:20 AM
It's ludicris and moronic to say the Jack Black is the greatest musician of our time! We all know that it's really Dolly Parton!!!!
:sulk:

You know, a recent study suggested that areas with high country music output have a significantly higher white suicide rate....

Bob Dole
10-28-2004, 10:20 AM
To claim that Jack Black is a greater musician that Ashlee Simpson is blasphemy.

Rausch
10-28-2004, 10:23 AM

We could always embed some Wagner .wav files into the thread, and through subliminal messages, use this whole lot to take over the world... :)

Dr. Johnny Fever
:sulk:

You know, a recent study suggested that areas with high country music output have a significantly higher white suicide rate....
I'd believe it. I hate country music....(expect for some of the real old classic stuff that I can appreciate just because of it's purity and simplicity).... I was just joking.

:thumb:

Nightfyre
That would be fun, but my sound is off...

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-28-2004, 10:24 AM
To claim that Jack Black is a greater musician that Ashlee Simpson is blasphemy.
ROFL

Swanman
10-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Jack has always been a comedian with a great love for 'rocking out.' He's all about the attitude and passion, not so much the technical proficiency. He formed 'Tenacious D' a rockin' duo with his middle-aged, blad comedian buddy Kyle Gass. He essentially took that character to 'School of Rock' a great movie I'd recommend for anyone of all ages.
He also played a music freak in 'High Fidelity' and too a lesser extent 'Orange County' and a member of a Neil Diamond cover band in 'Saving Silverman.'

Compared to other actors, Jack Black is a great musician. The Tenacious D album is a great comedy album but in addition, the songs are great musically considering it is a comedy album. They coin their music "folk metal" which I think sums it up nicely.

But comparing Jack Black to other great musicians is kind of like putting Kurt Cobain on the cover of Guitar Magazine (which really happened).

KCTitus
10-28-2004, 10:58 AM

Actually, I think it is....

I forgot about Winger...definately top 3.

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Actually, I think it is....

I forgot about Winger...definately top 3.
Fool. Ugly Kid Joe pwns Winger.

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 11:04 AM
I can't believe that this thread has gone two whole pages without the proper recognition of Gerardo.

R-r-r-rico!!! Swa-vay. . .

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 11:06 AM
I can't believe that this thread has gone two whole pages without the proper recognition of Gerardo.

R-r-r-rico!!! Swa-vay. . .
ROFL Rep.

DeepSouth
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM
The only Jack Black I know about is Jack Daniels Black Label.

redbrian
10-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Compared to other actors, Jack Black is a great musician. The Tenacious D album is a great comedy album but in addition, the songs are great musically considering it is a comedy album. They coin their music "folk metal" which I think sums it up nicely.

But comparing Jack Black to other great musicians is kind of like putting Kurt Cobain on the cover of Guitar Magazine (which really happened).

Spinal Tap out rocks Black any day, I mean how many drummers have blown up playing for Tenacious D?

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Spinal Tap out rocks Black any day, I mean how many drummers have blown up playing for Tenacious D?
Big Bottoms
Big Bottoms
Talk about bum-cakes, my girl's got 'em
Big Bottom, goin' out of my mind
How can I leave this behind?

KCN
10-28-2004, 11:22 AM
I've had that Killers song going through my head all morning thanks to this thread.

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 11:23 AM
I've had that Killers song going through my head all morning thanks to this thread.
ROFL - I almost posted the same thing. Of course, all it takes is a tangential reference to put that song in my head. That, and the Modest Mouse song.

Swanman
10-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Here are the lyric to Tenacious D's song "Dio", which is without a doubt the single greatest Ronnie James Dio tribute song:

Dio has rocked for a long, long time.
Now it's time for him to pass the torch.
He has songs of wildabeasts and angels,
He has soared on the wings of a demon.

It's time to pass the torch,
You're too old to rock, no more rockin' for you.
We're takin' you to a home,
But we will sing a song about you.

And we will make sure that you're very well taken care of.
You'll tell us secrets that you've learned. Raow!
Your sauce will mix with ours,
And we'll make a good goulash, baby.
Dio, time to go!
You must give your cape and scepter TO ME.
And a smaller one for KG.
Go, go! Dio, Dio!

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Jack black was also in a great school for acting with kevin kline or something

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 12:45 PM
The Neverending Story III (1994) - Slip leader of the Nasties

RedNFeisty
10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
It's ludicris and moronic to say the Jack Black is the greatest musician of our time! We all know that it's really Dolly Parton!!!!............or maybe Charo.....

No, No, it is Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello(sp? no clue)!!

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 12:48 PM
What's the problem with Kurt Cobain on the front of guitar mag?

RedNFeisty
10-28-2004, 12:55 PM

Just a guess, but could the problem be that he sucked butt!?!

KCTitus
10-28-2004, 12:56 PM

Well...I do know he sucked shotgun...

was that offsides?

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Technically, he didn't suck butt. He sucked barrel.

RedNFeisty

was that offsides?

Yeah, thinking the sucking of butts would have been a better option.

Baby Lee

was that offsides?
F@ck you, fleetfingers!! :p

Swanman
10-28-2004, 12:59 PM

He played songs that a guy with no hands could play. Granted, Nirvana had good songs but to think Cobain was a guitar legend is just slightly fugtarded.

nmt1
10-28-2004, 01:00 PM
As stated before...

KIP WINGER RULES!!!

nmt1
10-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Man, I can't wait to get home a bust out the Eddie Grant!

KCTitus
10-28-2004, 01:02 PM
F@ck you, fleetfingers!! :p

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 01:08 PM
yeah i hope no one would call him a guitar legend, but i see green day, ramones on the front of guitar mags all the time. Just because it isn't clapton or stevie V or some other guy who can play 100 notes per second guitar geeks get all upset. Even if you hate kurt cobain, i am sorry to tell you he changed music and he will be forever know as leading music out of glam rock (thank god) and made some music with some balls.

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 01:11 PM
yeah i hope no one would call him a guitar legend, but i see green day, ramones on the front of guitar mags all the time. Just because it isn't clapton or stevie V or some other guy who can play 100 notes per second guitar geeks get all upset. Even if you hate kurt cobain, i am sorry to tell you he changed music and he will be forever know as leading music out of glam rock (thank god) and made some music with some balls.
Sure, he led a revolution.
But Kobain on the front of Guitar magazine is the same as having Ray Kroc on the front of Gourmet magazine.

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Sure, he led a revolution.
But Kobain on the front of Guitar magazine is the same as having Ray Kroc on the front of Gourmet magazine.

Not really because ray kroc didn't make gourmet food, but kobain did play "guitar". Hey whatever helps you sleep at night

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Slsh Sux0ers he doesn't b3nd his strings hard enough !!!!1

Brock
10-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Even if you hate kurt cobain, i am sorry to tell you he changed music and he will be forever know as leading music out of glam rock (thank god) and made some music with some balls.

I don't hate Cobain, but frankly, all that happened there is some record executives saw a chance to make a buck. If they could have looked into the future and seen what awaited them after grunge, they probably would have left Kurt in Seattle.

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 01:16 PM
If you really wanted an analogy, it would be like Manny Ramieriez on the cover of a baseball mag. Most people would be like, oh the MVP of baseball this year. While baseball purists would be lining up to jack off to page 10 where ichiro's .OPS is listed.

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 01:17 PM
I don't hate Cobain, but frankly, all that happened there is some record executives saw a chance to make a buck. If they could have looked into the future and seen what awaited them after grunge, they probably would have left Kurt in Seattle.

What happened after grunge? Hip hop?

homey
10-28-2004, 01:18 PM
I've always thought one of the funniest things about Ten. was that they were actually very talented. By no means greatest of all time or nothing, but you can't deny Jack Black has musical talent.

Brock
10-28-2004, 01:25 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of Nickelback.

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Grunge wannabes, Matchbox 20, Crash test Dummies, Super 8, 4 Non Blondes, Silverchair, Candlebox, Better than Ezra, Gin Blossoms.

Shall I go on.

Swanman
10-28-2004, 01:38 PM

Guitar Magazine is for "guitar geeks", so Cobain did not belong on the cover. There are lots of great bands that have been composed of average musicians (current day examples would include bands like Chevelle, Nickelback and Godsmack) and Nirvana is one of those. You don't have to be a guitar genious to write good/great songs but at the same time having a few hit singles does not entitle you to the cover page of a magazine like Guitar Magazine when you play the same three chords over and over in every song.

Crush
10-28-2004, 01:49 PM
http://user.tninet.se/~bmm117l/metallica/pictures/justice2.jpg

http://www.monunivers.com/music/_img/pink%20floyd%20-%20dark%20side%20of%20the%20moon.jpg

jspchief
10-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Jack Black should do a duo with Ashlip Syncson

vailpass
10-28-2004, 02:56 PM
"How many can you do?"

"uh, just one"

"Just one?"

"Yeah, that's all it takes"

Inspector
10-28-2004, 03:57 PM
I've never heard of even one single person you mentioned.

The Bad Guy
10-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Man, I can't wait to get home a bust out the Eddie Grant!

Do you live on Electric Avenue?