PDA

View Full Version : In honor of Halloween: Top 5 Horror movies of all time

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 04:25 PM
#5 Carrie: The Prom scene still creeps me out. Not to Mention Carries' freaky mother. Maybe the most ripped off ending in horror movie history

#4 Psycho: Scared the crap out of me as a kid, and still sends shivers down my spine at times. The shower scene is probably one of the most terrifying scenes in movie history.

#3 The Thing (1982): John Carpenter at the top of his game. One of the best gross out movies of all time. Creates a real sense of dread and isolation.

#2 Halloween: Another classic from Carpenter. The original and still the best slasher/stalker movie of all time. The camerawork in creating suspense and fear in this film is brilliant.

# 1 The Shining: Kubrick is the master. The whole film is creepy from beginning to end with the perfect use of music and camerawork. Who didnt have nightmares after seeing those girls in the hallway at the Overlook? Nichalson's performance has been parodied many times sense, but its downright scary!

Bob Dole
10-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Spice World
Gigli
Ishtar
Waterworld
Battlefield Earth

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 04:36 PM
No such thing as a top 5 without either The Exorcist or The Ring somewhere in there.

Try again.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 04:38 PM
No such thing as a top 5 without either The Exorcist or The Ring somewhere in there.

Try again.

Yea...Exorcist just missed the cut..it was very very close......

oaklandhater
10-28-2004, 04:42 PM

Try again.

if ring 2 is even have has scary has ring one it will soon join the top 5 and carrie was not scary at all

Honorable Mention should be some times they come back
and stephen kings IT

Bob Dole
10-28-2004, 04:44 PM
and stephen kings IT

Except for the lame giant spider thing at the end. OTher than that, it was okay.

suds79
10-28-2004, 04:48 PM
1 - Killer Clowns from Outer Space

2 - Critters 2 - The Main Course

3 - Critters 3 - You are what they eat

4 - Jack Frost 2

5 - Leprechaun 4 - In Space

These moves are down right scary!!! :reaper:

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Spice World
Gigli
Ishtar
Waterworld
Battlefield Earth

I think im the only guy on the planet who actualy liked Ishtar. I think its hilarious and will defend it until my grave!

oaklandhater
10-28-2004, 05:16 PM

4 - Jack Frost 2

Dont forget leperchaun back2thehood lmao

oaklandhater
10-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Except for the lame giant spider thing at the end. OTher than that, it was okay.

i think that movie was more scary to me becuase i hated clownes before i ever saw it

Crush
10-28-2004, 05:54 PM
5 - "All Through the House" (vignette in the original Tales from the Crypt)

4 - Phantasm

3 - Basketcase

2 - Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

1 - The Exorcist

Calcountry
10-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Spice World
Gigli
Ishtar
Waterworld
Battlefield Earth
Battlefield earth??? Now there was the best John Travolta movie since Saturday Night Fever, lmao.

Calcountry
10-28-2004, 06:06 PM

4 - Jack Frost 2

Hell, might as well throw in Killer Red Tomatos while you are at it.

Crush
Battlefield earth??? Now there was the best John Travolta movie since Saturday Night Fever, lmao.

The book is much better.

Calcountry
5 - "All Through the House" (vignette in the original Tales from the Crypt)

4 - Phantasm

3 - Basketcase

2 - Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

1 - The Exorcist
Your Sig Pic, is the scariest movie I have ever seen.

Bob Dole
10-28-2004, 06:07 PM

Every one of those movies made Bob Dole sob like a little baby.

Okay... To be completely honest, Bob Dole has only seen 2 of them.

Stryker
10-28-2004, 06:56 PM
1. Saw

2. The Exorcist

3. Phantasm

4. Friday the 13th Part II

5. Prince of Darkness

Yes, I saw "SAW" before it's theatrical release (awesome!) :thumb:

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Wow! Saw already #1 on your list?? Interesting......Friday the 13th part 2?? I wouldnt consider any of the Jason films scary? Maybe the 1st one but thats it. They are so bad they are entertaining....

Crush
10-28-2004, 07:05 PM
http://www.horrordrome.com/recensioni/sshot/basketcase-1.jpg

Boo!

Pants
10-28-2004, 07:06 PM
#3 - Phantasm

#2 - The House on the Haunted Hill (I don't know why, but that movie freaked me out... something about assylums scares me. I found it MUCH scarier than The Ring)

#1 - The Shining (OMFG, I was very young when I saw it, that movie made it hard for me to fall asleep for a week, still can't make myself watch it again).

Stryker
10-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Wow! Saw already #1 on your list?? Interesting......Friday the 13th part 2?? I wouldnt consider any of the Jason films scary? Maybe the 1st one but thats it. They are so bad they are entertaining....

Yes, SAW is #1 on my list. I expect to see a Gaz hoot scale on it. It was GREAT!! I chose Friday the 13th part II because it was a little better than the original.

Miles
10-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Its really hard to find movies in this genre that dont collapse 3/4 of the way into the movie.

1)The Shining
2) Alien - Not techically a pure horror movie
3) Night of the Living Dead (1967)
4) Devil's Backbone
5) Spoorloos (1988) - Origional version of The Vanashing

Not sure if Videodrome would count. If it did id probably have it a #5.

Hog Rider
10-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Based on seeing it in the theater when it was released,,,, the first time and not knowing what will happen,,,taking age at the time into account these are ones I remember:

1)The Exorcist

2)The Legend of Hell House

3)Psycho

4)The Dunwich Horror

5)Night of the Living Dead (the first one. My brother and I were forbidden to see it, but we snuck out to see it one night anyway)

There are scarier ones of course, but for my age at the time and the element of suprise; I really enjoyed these. I rarely see much anymore that I don't already know what happens.

JP

ChiefFripp
10-28-2004, 07:48 PM
The Ring and Poltergiest are the only 2 movies that ever sent a chill down my spine.

Nzoner
10-28-2004, 07:54 PM
2)The Legend of Hell House

Damn fine choice.

5.Audition

4.Dawn Of The Dead(the original)

3.The Evil Dead

2.The Omen(preferred it over The Exorcist)

1.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(the original)

Honarable mention to three shorts,the little vodoo doll and Karen Black in Trilogy Of Terror,the family graveyard painting that changes in Night Gallery the original pilot movie and the Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner called Terror at 25,000 Feet or something close to that.

mcan
10-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Per myself and my roommates... IE: Angel (of Chiefsplanet fame) and Joe (not of Chiefsplanet)

5: 28 Days Later -A new classic. Best zombie film ever, and redifined a genre. Really, it's the only zombie film that's scary more so than cheezy. (Angel insists that this isn't a "zombie" film, but I think that's retarded)
4: Poltergeist -It might be the only non 'rated R' movie on this list... In fact, it's only rated PG. Granted this was before the PG-13 existed, but that's quite a nice feat. Nothing terribly gruesome or violent about it. Just really great "get under your skin" scariness. Plus the clown thing messes me up real bad.
3: The Birds -Who does it better than Sara Lee? Only Hitchcock. Plus, it's the scariest movie that boldly has NO underscore music to "trick" the audience into being scared. It relies entirely on its story and its characters to get to you...
2: Exorcist -I don't care how many times you see this, you still get freaked out. This is probably the best example of a great film and a great horror movie put together. Classic, good vs evil. And the new scenes (specifically the crab walk) only make this film better to watch today.
1: The Shining -Probably a better "film" than it is a "horror movie" but it's such a great film (top five of all time probably) that it has to be #1 on this list. Kubrick is a master of the medium, and the story is so brilliantly vague and disturbing that no other horror movie can touch it.

Honerable mentions:
-Night of the Living Dead (original and the '90 remake)
-Fire Walk With Me (Not really a horror movie, but out of context from Twin Peaks it's scary as hell)
-The Omen (This one nominated by Joe. Last time I saw it I didn't care for it all that much so it's bumped)
-Dr. Giggles (This according to Joe's girlfriend Sarah, who hates the dentist)
-Scream (Great little horror movie with elements of parody that make it just slightly clever)
-American Psycho (If this is a horror movie, then it needs to be mentioned)
-Psycho (God, if I would have thought of this, I'd put it above 28 Days Later. But what's done is done...)

mcan
10-28-2004, 08:44 PM
4) Devil's Backbone

My friend Joe thinks this movie is brilliant... We're over here kicking ourselves for overlooking it...

angel
10-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Per myself and my roommates... IE: Angel (of Chiefsplanet fame) and Joe (not of Chiefsplanet)

5: 28 Days Later -A new classic. Best zombie film ever, and redifined a genre. Really, it's the only zombie film that's scary more so than cheezy. (Angel insists that this isn't a "zombie" film, but I think that's retarded)

By my definition, a "zombie" is one who has died and risen from death and seeks out human flesh. The bite of a zombie causes death and reanimation. The only way to stop a zombie is to damage the brain.

In 28 Days Later, they were not dead, they were infected, and transmission of the disease was any contact with infected blood in your body. They were still alive, therefore, they can die by any means that a human dies... and they don't come back to life.
I love 28 Days Later, but I do not feel that it is a "zombie" movie. And that there is my two cents.

siberian khatru
10-28-2004, 08:58 PM
One movie I'll add to the many fine ones already mentioned, a cult fave of mine:

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things

Nzoner
10-28-2004, 09:13 PM
One movie I'll add to the many fine ones already mentioned, a cult fave of mine:

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things

Thanks for the reminder,haven't seen that in 20+ years.Good call.

A few others brought to mind not in the tops list but worth a mention

The Hills Have Eyes
The Brood
The Abominable Dr. Phibes

siberian khatru
10-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the reminder,haven't seen that in 20+ years.Good call.

Thank you. It's low-budget shlock, but the last 20 minutes creep me out. I'm a sucker for 70s drive-in horror flicks.

Baby Lee
10-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Has anyone seen Suspiria? I've heard good things about it, but it never creeps up my Netflix list due to me putting new releases at the top.

Nzoner
10-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Thank you. It's low-budget shlock, but the last 20 minutes creep me out. I'm a sucker for 70s drive-in horror flicks.

I'm assuming then you've heard of or seen Rabid with Marilyn Chambers?If memory serves it was Cronenberg's first film.

siberian khatru
10-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Has anyone seen Suspiria? I've heard good things about it, but it never creeps up my Netflix list due to me putting new releases at the top.

Yes, I recommend it. It's on IFC Saturday night.

siberian khatru
10-28-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm assuming then you've heard of or seen Rabid with Marilyn Chambers?If memory serves it was Cronenberg's first film.

Yep, saw it years ago on cable.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Yes, I recommend it. It's on IFC Saturday night.

Ive already got plans to watch this:

http://www.ifctv.com/ifc/what/0,5266,CAT0-45-CAT1-2530-SHID-17404-AID-2867-TZ-EST-TB-2-CLR-blue-BCLR-00a8eC-,00.html

Its a Dario Argento film fest Saturday night on IFC

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 09:32 PM

Yea...Cronenberg made some great films back in the day. Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome. Hes one seriously weird dude....

siberian khatru
10-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Yea...Cronenberg made some great films back in the day. Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome. Hes one seriously weird dude....

"eXistenZ" (or however you write it) had a very high "ick" factor, too. Neat movie.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 09:39 PM
"eXistenZ" (or however you write it) had a very high "ick" factor, too. Neat movie.

Yea..i caught it on the sci-fi channel a few years back. Jennifer Jason Leigh still looks hot.

Nzoner
10-28-2004, 09:41 PM
If any of you horror buffs ever see Dellamorte Dellamore a.k.a. Cemetery Man (http://imdb.com/title/tt0109592/) pop up on any channels a head's up would be greatly appreciated.A zombie horror/comedy flick I would love to have in my collection.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 09:45 PM

Weirdest Cronenberg flick ever hands down......Crash. Not really horror, but one sick, perverted movie....it shows up on IFC somtimes...

siberian khatru
10-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Weirdest Cronenberg flick ever hands down......Crash. Not really horror, but one sick, perverted movie....it shows up on IFC somtimes...

That movie disturbed me. I had trouble watching it. Even the sex scenes were disturbing. Cold, lifeless ... eww.

KingPriest2
10-28-2004, 09:50 PM
Halloween is the best.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 09:52 PM
That movie disturbed me. I had trouble watching it. Even the sex scenes were disturbing. Cold, lifeless ... eww.

Seriously, I felt like i needed to go take a shower afterwards to go wipe the dirt off. It was like watching some snuff film.

Nzoner
10-28-2004, 09:56 PM

Naked Lunch deserves a mention here as well.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Naked Lunch deserves a mention here as well.

Yep...like i mentioned, hes one seriously messed up dude.....but we love him for it!

David.
10-28-2004, 10:00 PM

Try again.

BS, the ring sucked. I don't understand why everyone gets on their knees and blows this movie.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 10:03 PM
BS, the ring sucked. I don't understand why everyone gets on their knees and blows this movie.

Well..its the best mainstream horror film in quite some time.

David.
10-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Well..its the best mainstream horror film in quite some time.

I disagree. I thought it was predictable, boring, and tried too hard to be smart/cutting edge. Sucked imo.

cdcox
10-28-2004, 10:08 PM
5. Buffalo/KC playoff Jan 23, 1994
4. KC/Indy playoff Jan 7, 1996
3. KC/Indy playoff Jan 5, 2004
2. Denver/KC playoff Jan 4, 1998

And the #1 scariest movie of all time is...

1. Miami/KC playoff Dec 25, 1972

Rausch
10-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Prince of Darkness doesn't have the best special effects or actors but it has a "creeped me the fug out" factor of about a 9.5 on a 10 scale.

Another creepy one is The Entity, as well as Angelheart.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Prince of Darkness doesn't have the best special effects or actors but it has a "creeped me the fug out" factor of about a 9.5 on a 10 scale.

Another creepy one is The Entity, as well as Angelheart.

Prince of Darkness....another good Carpenter flick. The Entity is just plain weird and kinda sick with all the rapes and stuff. Its "alledgedly" based on a true story .....not sure about that one though???

Rausch
10-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Prince of Darkness....another good Carpenter flick. The Entity is just plain weird and kinda sick with all the rapes and stuff. Its "alledgedly" based on a true story .....not sure about that one though???

Yeah, I heard this debunker on C2C about a year ago that investigated her case. He said he couldn't prove it false or that she faked it. Doesn't make it true, but it is based on what many consider a true story...

Miles
10-28-2004, 10:28 PM
If any of you horror buffs ever see Dellamorte Dellamore a.k.a. Cemetery Man (http://imdb.com/title/tt0109592/) pop up on any channels a head's up would be greatly appreciated.A zombie horror/comedy flick I would love to have in my collection.

Hell yeah I love that one. Been a while since i have seen it but it had nice black humor mixed in.

OldTownChief
10-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Spice World
Gigli
Ishtar
Waterworld
Battlefield Earth

ROFL Excellent

Miles
10-28-2004, 10:30 PM

Ive had it on my DVR for a while but havent worked up the courage to watch it yet. I recored M Butterfly around the same time and that one was hella messed up.

Rausch
10-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Hell yeah I love that one. Been a while since i have seen it but it had nice black humor mixed in.

Hastings sells it on their website (www.gohastings.com)

Amazon.com probably does as well...

I owned it (sorry, but that frog chick is HOT) until I purged myself of all things frog...

Pants
10-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Yeah I agree with David about the Ring. Like I said before, it wasn't that scary. Didn't scare me at all for some reason.

Dave Lane
10-28-2004, 10:42 PM
if ring 2 is even have has scary has ring one it will soon join the top 5 and carrie was not scary at all

and stephen kings IT

The Ring was scary only in that its premise was so unbelievable that it was scary it could be made by somewhat sane individuals.

Dave

Miles
10-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Yeah I agree with David about the Ring. Like I said before, it wasn't that scary. Didn't scare me at all for some reason.

I didnt care much for it either. It did have its moments (down in the well) but i found the story a bit too lame at times and it kind of killed the horror element. I Especially disliked the end.

The Origional Japaneese version was a little better but i fet it suffered from the same problems.

Pants
10-28-2004, 10:48 PM
I didnt care much for it either. It did have its moments (down in the well) but i found the story a bit too lame at times and it kind of killed the horror element. I Especially disliked the end.

The Origional Japaneese version was a little better but i fet it suffered from the same problems.

I did like the style of the movie and the filters they used. That bluish hue. Her son scared me more than that little girl. WTF was wrong with that kid, lol?

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 10:50 PM
I did like the style of the movie and the filters they used. That bluish hue. Her son scared me more than that little girl. WTF was wrong with that kid, lol?

Yea..the story made no sense at all......but it was creepy and well made.

TEX
10-28-2004, 10:52 PM
The past 2 years between me and my ex-girlfriend tops ANY horror movie! As a matter of fact, I'm going to a Halloween party dressed up as my ex-girlfriend's ex-boyfriend... 4321

el borracho
10-28-2004, 11:25 PM
1. The Exorcist- seriously... the f*cking devil inside a little girl.
2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre... that part where the grandfather is trying to hit the girl with the hammer.
3. The Amityville Horror... Hammering away in the basement late at night.
4. Seven... the part where the corpse starts to cough and the part where a psychokiller fed-exs your wife's head to you.

edit: Evil Dead or The ReAnimator as a 5th choice.

The Bad Guy
10-28-2004, 11:31 PM
What..no mention of Monster Squad?

Rausch
10-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Yea..the story made no sense at all......but it was creepy and well made.

The whole point was that there is true evil in this world, and the horror isn't the evil, but how we each decide to deal with it (ie, she chooses to save her son but continue the "evil")

mcan
10-28-2004, 11:36 PM
What..no mention of Monster Squad?

LOVE IT!!!!

guess who's getting rep...

David.
10-28-2004, 11:45 PM
anyone have any recommendations for a REALLY scary movie? Not like, shining, or the exorcist. But something that just...FREAKS you out? I haven't ever seen a movie like that, any recommendations would be awesome.

Pants
10-28-2004, 11:47 PM
anyone have any recommendations for a REALLY scary movie? Not like, shining, or the exorcist. But something that just...FREAKS you out? I haven't ever seen a movie like that, any recommendations would be awesome.

I don't know why or how but "The House on the Haunted Hill" freaked me out. No idea why...

Rausch
10-28-2004, 11:51 PM
I haven't ever seen a movie like that, any recommendations would be awesome.

The Paris Hilton sex video. I haven't seen bone like that since WWII concentration camp evidence...

CanadaKC
"Don't Be Afraid of The Dark"....one of the scariest of all time...and a made-for-TV-movie to boot. Look it up on IMDB.

Miles

Same here. I have seen a bunch of horror movies and none of them have had that effect on me.

The first half or so of "The Eye" maybe...its got a few pretty messed up scenes.

Rausch
10-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Same here. I have seen a bunch of horror movies and none of them have had that effect on me.

The first half or so of "The Eye" maybe...its got a few pretty messed up scenes.

It isn't horror, per se, but The Day After will always be the most terrifying movie I've ever seen.

Miles
10-29-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't know why or how but "The House on the Haunted Hill" freaked me out. No idea why...

It had its moments at the begining but i thought it didnt build well on them and got kind of lame with the CGI towards the end.

You may want to check out Session 9. It has the same messed up, abandoned nut house vibe and he keeps it the whole way through.

Rausch
10-29-2004, 12:07 AM
It had its moments at the begining but i thought it didnt build well on them and got kind of lame with the CGI towards the end.

You may want to check out Session 9. It has the same messed up, abandoned nut house vibe and he keeps it the whole way through.

I love twisted, fugged up, and artsy movies (Donnie Darko, Vanilla Sky, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Being John Milkachick, etc) but that movie just left me empty.

I was very surprised by the ending but I went "Eh. Didn't see that comming. Yaaaaaawwwwwwn."

ChiefJustice
10-29-2004, 01:11 AM

http://bonobo.jones.free.fr/cinema/fog.jpg

It still gives me the creeps.

Miles
10-29-2004, 01:27 AM

Just thought of one that may do the trick...David Lynch's Eraserhead. Not really horror but pretty damn freeky and surreal as opposed to scary. Unfortunatly its kind of hard to find. Another one by Lynch that has some really f#cked up parts is Lost Highway. Also more of the surreal type rather than standard horror.

Pants
10-29-2004, 01:29 AM
Just thought of one that may do the trick...David Lynch's Eraserhead. Not really horror but pretty damn freeky and surreal as opposed to scary. Unfortunatly its kind of hard to find. Another one by Lynch that has some really f#cked up parts is Lost Highway. Also more of the surreal type rather than standard horror.

Lost Highway is one ****ed up movie...

oaklandhater
10-29-2004, 03:44 AM

The Entity plain and simple

Crush
10-29-2004, 06:44 AM
Another Cronenberg classic:

http://princess.sentex.net/images/shivers.jpg

CosmicPal
10-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Not sure how one could possibly omit The Exorcist from the top 5....the rest of your list is fine, but The Exorcist commands far greater respect than The Thing.

htismaqe
10-29-2004, 07:22 AM
I'd have to go with Motel Hell...any movie with Officer Grossman from CHiPs playing a (gasp!) police officer is #1 in my book. Plus, I like movies where they make southern-fried food out of people. That's why I almost voted for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II.

Of course, I'd also have to strongly consider Dead Alive. I kick ass for the Lord!

Braincase
10-29-2004, 07:36 AM
1. Frankenstein

2. Dracula

3. The Mummy

4. Nosferatu

5. Army of Darkness

Chiefnj
10-29-2004, 07:45 AM
David,

If you want a horror-type movie to freak you out go rent "Funny Games."

As far as best horror movies of all time, in no particular order, Halloween, Scream, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Jaws and Psycho.

Gaz
10-29-2004, 08:18 AM
“The Exorcist”
A slow, inexorable racheting up of intensity. Good, classic stuff.

“The Ring”
This one was more creepy than outright scary. But it disturbed me and therefore belongs on the list.

“Nomads”
Excellent ghost story. An underrated and often overlooked gem.

“8mm”
No ghosts, vampires or werewolves, but the most chilling monsters on the planet. This one bruised my tender little heart. By the writer of “Seven.”

“The Blair Witch Project”
An hour and a half of irritation and boredom followed by the best movie scare I have ever had.

xoxo~
Gaz
Sorry to report no zombie flicks made the list.

Otis Day
10-29-2004, 08:22 AM
I was wondering when someone would pick Blair Witch. That is top 5 for me. I was one of the dumb ones that saw it early and didn't know for sure whether it was real footage that had been found.

Dumb me.

Gaz
10-29-2004, 08:31 AM
“The Blair Witch Project” is a stupid, irritating boring movie for 99% of the running time. The characters were holes and I did not care if they lived or died.

But in the final few minutes of the film when the camera spotlight hits the guy facing the corner, it scared the daylights out of me. I was screaming inside my head: “He’s in the corner! HE’S IN THE CORNER!!”

Even though I had to suffer through an awful movie, it was the best scare I ever had from a movie.

xoxo~
Gaz
Almost ashamed to admit it.

Otis Day
10-29-2004, 08:38 AM
I didn't are about the characters either. However, maybe because I have done quite a bit of camping, the whole idea of being lost, and the groans in the distance when it was pitch dark freeked me out.

Nzoner
10-29-2004, 08:45 AM

Scary comes in many forms,here's a few ideas(as long as you don't mind subtitles) that would qualify and truly contain some freaky moments.

Irreversible (http://imdb.com/title/tt0290673/) easily contains the most disturbing scene I have ever witnessed in a movie.

Baise-moi (http://imdb.com/title/tt0249380/) one that was banned in Austrailia.

Man Bites Dog (http://imdb.com/title/tt0103905/)

Ghostof
10-29-2004, 08:57 AM
American Werewolf in London..."STAY AWAY FROM THE MOOR..."
**also, never mess with the foreigners dart games...

Blair Witch...fog rolling in..."Josh....is that you?" and you hear a gutteral moan and scream....freaky ass movie that messed with you psychologically..and the tent scene..OMG!

Cabin Fever...the dog chewing on that chick in the cabin....

Poltergeist....

The Prophecy....

***I think there was a movie called "Food of the Gods"....I just remember seeing these giant rats eating people.

siberian khatru
10-29-2004, 09:00 AM
I was reluctant to list Blair Witch because so many people hate it with a passion. But it scared me. The creepy sounds in the woods, outside the campground, in the middle of the night (shiver). And of course, the ending.

I also don't like watching Bigfoot movies late at night when I'm all alone.

Braincase
10-29-2004, 09:03 AM
***I think there was a movie called "Food of the Gods"....I just remember seeing these giant rats eating people.

Ooooh, a Marjoe Gortner joint!

Otter
10-29-2004, 09:14 AM
10. Nightmare on Elm Street – if I were to watch this movie today it probably wouldn’t scare me but it was a coming of age horror flick that kept me up for a night

9. Phantasm – the old guy and the morgues scared me, another one that probably wouldn’t do much for me today

8. The Vanishing – Don’t bother watching the American remake

7. Blair Witch Project – I was scared alright, I admit it!!!

6. Salem’s Lot - another coming of age flick, when his little brother returns from the dead, floats up to his window and wakes him...haunted my for days afterwards

5. Hellraiser – long time since I’ve seen this one, just remember that rare ‘disturbed’ feeling when it was over

4. Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer – ever wonder why serial killers are serial killers? Some questions you don’t want to know the answers to

3. The Serpent and the Rainbow - voodoo, are you dead or alive (sorry don’t remember much about this one but is scared me)

2. IT – Because clowns are evil creatures that should be round up and shot, every one of them, no exceptions! Yes, even the midget clowns!

1. The Shining – being cut off from society, haunted by evil spirts while your husband/father slowly slips from sanity…plus Nicholson makes an awesome psycho

Chiefnj
10-29-2004, 09:21 AM
I too was reluctant to admit Blair Witch. I saw it early before most of the hype and thought it was pretty good. I think you have a greater appreciation of it if you've ever been lost in the woods.

I also forgot about the original Salem's Lot with Hutch, or was it Starsky? It was much better than the recent remake with Rob Lowe. Little Danny Glick floating up the window freaked me out as well.

Crush
10-29-2004, 09:23 AM
5. Hellraiser – long time since I’ve seen this one, just remember that rare ‘disturbed’ feeling when it was over

Good one. I completely forgot about Hellraiser.

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Hellraiser_Box-01.jpg

What is your pleasure sir?

Otter
10-29-2004, 01:32 PM

Last three movies that creeped me out where, from most to least disturbing:

1. Happiness
2. Requim for a Dream
3. Funny Games

If you can walk away from the first two without being a little freaked out for the day I'll buy you a steak dinner (yeah right). The third I didn't think was too bad but it made alot of people sick.

The Bad Guy
10-29-2004, 01:43 PM
I just watched Saw, and I'm a big fan.

It's not a gruesome horror movie, but it's a great thriller/slasher flick.

I wouldn't say it's in my top 5, but it's definitely worth seeing.

David.
10-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Scary comes in many forms,here's a few ideas(as long as you don't mind subtitles) that would qualify and truly contain some freaky moments.

Irreversible (http://imdb.com/title/tt0290673/) easily contains the most disturbing scene I have ever witnessed in a movie.

Baise-moi (http://imdb.com/title/tt0249380/) one that was banned in Austrailia.

Man Bites Dog (http://imdb.com/title/tt0103905/)

irreversible made me sick to my stomach more than "scared" me. Haven't seen the other two though, might have to check em out.

David.
10-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Last three movies that creeped me out where, from most to least disturbing:

1. Happiness
2. Requim for a Dream
3. Funny Games

If you can walk away from the first two without being a little freaked out for the day I'll buy you a steak dinner (yeah right). The third I didn't think was too bad but it made alot of people sick.

rfad just puts me in the most depressed mood ever

David.
10-29-2004, 01:57 PM
David,

If you want a horror-type movie to freak you out go rent "Funny Games."

As far as best horror movies of all time, in no particular order, Halloween, Scream, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Jaws and Psycho.

I'm getting a nice little list going :)

David.
10-29-2004, 01:58 PM

eh, didn't really scare me, but I liked it a lot.

B2chiefsfan
10-29-2004, 01:58 PM
5. The Omen
4. Halloween
3. The Exorcist
2. Evil Dead
1. Army of Darkness

David.
10-29-2004, 02:00 PM

I actually enjoy Lynch alot. Lost Highway is one of my favs. Never seen eraserhead though

HC_Chief
10-29-2004, 02:01 PM
'pure' horror

1) The Exorcist
2) The Shining
3) Halloween
4) An American Werewolf in London
5) Poltergeist

David.
10-29-2004, 02:02 PM
I've got high hopes for Saw. I'm hoping it scares me

The Bad Guy
10-29-2004, 02:06 PM
I've got high hopes for Saw. I'm hoping it scares me

It didn't really scare the hell out of me, but it is very entertaining and thought provoking.

David.
10-29-2004, 02:09 PM
It didn't really scare the hell out of me, but it is very entertaining and thought provoking.

.....****. I've seen plenty of thought provoking entertaining movies. I WANT TO BE SCARED :(

:)

The Bad Guy
10-29-2004, 02:23 PM
.....****. I've seen plenty of thought provoking entertaining movies. I WANT TO BE SCARED :(

:)
See my definition of horror shit is different. I didn't think Seven was scary, but I thought it was thrilling much like Scream, Silence of the Lambs, Taking lives. I mean there were some scary parts in it but I like thrillers that make you think.

Scary to me are those supernatural horror flicks like The Ring, Howling, Poltergist. I get spooked by people turning into vampires/werewolfs/ or stuff that's out of the control of anyone else.

LTownChief
10-29-2004, 02:28 PM

huh? what? :shrug:

David.
10-29-2004, 02:32 PM
See my definition of horror shit is different. I didn't think Seven was scary, but I thought it was thrilling much like Scream, Silence of the Lambs, Taking lives. I mean there were some scary parts in it but I like thrillers that make you think.

Scary to me are those supernatural horror flicks like The Ring, Howling, Poltergist. I get spooked by people turning into vampires/werewolfs/ or stuff that's out of the control of anyone else.

http://student.fortlewis.edu/JRWAIT/Teenwolf.jpg

ZepSinger
10-29-2004, 02:32 PM
It may not fall under the strict interpretation of a 'horror' movie, but I think 'The Changeling' is the scariest movie I've ever seen. More of a supernatural/ghost/haunted house flick. GREAT rent for Halloween!

The Bad Guy
10-29-2004, 02:34 PM
http://student.fortlewis.edu/JRWAIT/Teenwolf.jpg

Ha. Teen Wolf kicks ass. I picked up that and Teen Wolf 2 on dvd for 8.99 at Walmart 2 weeks ago.

David.
10-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Ha. Teen Wolf kicks ass. I picked up that and Teen Wolf 2 on dvd for 8.99 at Walmart 2 weeks ago.

sweeet

Swanman
10-29-2004, 02:46 PM
I'll list a few movies on my favorites list that haven't been mentioned before:

Evil Dead II - Great mix of horror/gore and laugh out loud comedy, plus great special effects considering it was a low-budget film

Exorcist III - The first one was great, but this movie scared the shit out of me, also one of the only movies I've ever seen that's better than the book it's based on.

Hellraiser II (unrated version) - Great plot and tons and tons of gore. Pinhead is by far my favorite movie villain.

I've seen a lot of love for IT and The Shining, but after reading the books, I was really disappointed in the movies (especially IT, it's a steaming pile of crap compared to the book). Granted, Nicholson was incredible in The Shining but the plot in the book was quite a bit better and the book didn't end in a gay shrubbery maze.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-29-2004, 02:48 PM

Try again.
Amen. Pet Semetary is a good one too...and Poltergeist has to be my personal fav.

htismaqe
10-29-2004, 02:51 PM
The Gates of Hell

Otherwise known as City of the Living Dead (http://videodetective.com/home.asp?x=y&SpeedTestResults=1600&PublishedID=628804&AltID=&CustomerID=97135&WM=True&Ads=True&Play=TRUE)

Nzoner
10-29-2004, 08:23 PM
I've seen a lot of love for IT and The Shining, but after reading the books, I was really disappointed in the movies (especially IT, it's a steaming pile of crap compared to the book). Granted, Nicholson was incredible in The Shining but the plot in the book was quite a bit better and the book didn't end in a gay shrubbery maze.

Although I've seen many who didn't like it I personally prefer The Shining mini-series because King was the Executive Producer and it follows the book extremely well.While Steven Weber is no Nicholson he still does a decent job as the mini-series focuses more on Jack's bouts with the alcoholism.If you haven't seen it get it on DVD and try to watch it straight thru,I believe it comes in at about 4 1/2 hours.

Nzoner
10-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I just watched Saw, and I'm a big fan.

It's not a gruesome horror movie, but it's a great thriller/slasher flick.

I wouldn't say it's in my top 5, but it's definitely worth seeing.

Just returned myself and agree with you.I have to say though I set the bar a little too high as I bought into the not since Seven etc. hype.IMO nothing I've seen has even come close to Seven which is easily one of my top 5 movies of all time.

Deberg_1990
10-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Just returned myself and agree with you.I have to say though I set the bar a little too high as I bought into the not since Seven etc. hype.IMO nothing I've seen has even come close to Seven which is easily one of my top 5 movies of all time.

Yea..i want to see Saw as well. I have to agree with you. Seven is a Masterpiece. Ill never forget the first time i saw it and how blown away i was by the ending.

KCWolfman
10-29-2004, 10:47 PM
1. Psycho
2. Nosferatu
3. Rosemary's Baby
4. Trilogy of Terror
5. Freaks

I am not a big horror fan, so I generally look for something different to hold my attention.

Jenson71
10-29-2004, 11:10 PM
1. Psycho
2. Nosferatu
3. Rosemary's Baby
4. Trilogy of Terror
5. Freaks

I am not a big horror fan, so I generally look for something different to hold my attention.

I like those first three choices. Haven't seen the last two.

But Exorcist would be on my list. Also, Sixth Sense.

Nzoner
10-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Went to Wal-Mart to dig around in the cheapo DVD bin

Got a 2 pack with Night Of The Living Dead & Carnival Of Souls for $5.50 as well as The Legend Of Hell House for $5.50

KingPriest2
10-30-2004, 03:26 PM

Got a 2 pack with Night Of The Living Dead & Carnival Of Souls for $5.50 as well as The Legend Of Hell House for $5.50

Never heard ot them sounds interesting

KingPriest2
10-30-2004, 03:28 PM

Exorcist I agree Sixth Sense maybe top 20

KCWolfman
10-30-2004, 04:10 PM

Carnival of Souls!!! I haven't seen that in ages.

Shamalamadingdong took the Sixth Sense directly from Carnival of Souls.

KCWolfman
10-30-2004, 04:11 PM

Love the avatar.

redbrian
10-30-2004, 04:14 PM
I read both the Shinning and the Exorcist prior to seeing the movies so I was probably a little desensitized to the story, and therefore did not find these two movies that scary.

I read the Shinning on a cold stormy night while on duty (all by myself) in the radar shack while stationed at McConnell.
We had just received a box of books from the group of old ladies that sent us a box of paper backs every month and I had just happened to pick this one up.

As far as horror movies go Alien has to be the top of the list.
Other genres would have to include Silence of the Lambs – Pi - and a very strange movie made by Salvador Dali (cannot for the life of me remember the name of it). It has one scene where the cut open this eye ball (used a goats eye as I recall), really creepy stuff.

KCWolfman
10-30-2004, 04:20 PM
I read both the Shinning and the Exorcist prior to seeing the movies so I was probably a little desensitized to the story, and therefore did not find these two movies that scary.

I read the Shinning on a cold stormy night while on duty (all by myself) in the radar shack while stationed at McConnell.
We had just received a box of books from the group of old ladies that sent us a box of paper backs every month and I had just happened to pick this one up.

Other genres would have to include Silence of the Lambs – Pi - and a very strange movie made by Salvador Dali (cannot for the life of me remember the name of it). It has one scene where the cut open this eye ball (used a goats eye as I recall), really creepy stuff.
Un Chien Andalou.... some great death scenes, but awful artsy.

KingPriest2
10-30-2004, 04:22 PM

What was that likeing reading the book that night?

redbrian
10-30-2004, 04:24 PM

Thanks, thats been bugging me since I tried to think of it, yea I'd also call it artsy, saw it as part of a film class at SMS, that eye ball thing just creeped me out for several days.

David.
10-30-2004, 04:29 PM

I love that movie.

Jenson71
10-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Who has seen Diabolique? Or Suspiria? I'm gonna try to find these tonight.

KCWolfman
10-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Both, watch them with Carnival of Souls.... all are great.

redbrian
10-30-2004, 05:00 PM
What was that likeing reading the book that night?

Scarred the crap out of me, here I am sitting in a dark mobile radar shack, (these things are not that big the seating area is about 4’ wide by 15’ long, with three radar stations on one side and a bunch of equipment on the back side).
The wind rocks these things and it is always creaking and popping.
Like I said I had no idea who King was or what he wrote it was just something to do during the mid shift.
It was also during the Christmas break so the weather matched the book really well.

Bowser
10-30-2004, 05:01 PM
How about the love for Army of Darkness?

"You ain't leadin' but two things right now, pal. Jack and shit. And Jack left town!"

ROFL

Miles
10-30-2004, 05:25 PM

If you have IFC, Susperia is on tonight at 8:00. The origional Diabolique is pretty damn good so long as you havent seen the remake. Its more of a mystery/suspense than horror...Kind of a french Hitchcock movie.