PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs thoughts … by Mark M

Mark M
10-29-2004, 01:33 PM
As I look towards the Colts game, there are a few things that stick out in my mind. There are the obvious: stop EJ, disrupt the route-running of the Colts’ WRs, but there are two people and one group that, IMHO, are going to have to step it up.

Al Saunders—Everyone wants to put the pressure on Gunther for this game, but IMHO it’s Saunders that will make or break the Chiefs’ chances. He has GOT to realize that KC doesn’t have the talent at WR to be a pass-first offense. If he doesn’t, Pay-me-ton will be on the field entirely too often, thus exposing the defense to more opportunities to get burned.

Bar-tee and McPassOn—I honestly think that Warfield will do a good job against Harrison. Not to mention that Gun will probably roll a safety over to his side. So it’ll be up to these two CBs to find a way—any way—to slow down what are perhaps the two best #2 and #3 receivers in the league. If either of these guys has a bad game, it could be a very, very long afternoon for us KC fans.

Hicks, Browning, et al—Blitzing Manning could backfire big time. Sure, the occasional blitz will have to be called, but the front four have GOT to get pressure, disrupt timing and harass the hick all … day … long.

MM
~~:arrow:

Hoover
10-29-2004, 01:37 PM
I think we can win this game is we do 2 things

1. Stop Indy's running game.

2. Run the ball early and often. We have to keep their offense off the field.

1adam1238
10-29-2004, 01:38 PM
I agree 100% about Al Saunders controlling the destiny to this game. If the offense goes on vacation, you can expect a long day for our defense........the old saying..the best defense is a good offense......it really does count!!!!

KCTitus
10-29-2004, 01:40 PM
I think that KC's WR are better than Indy's DB's...a good mix of run and pass is what the doctor ordered.

Mark M
10-29-2004, 01:41 PM
2. Run the ball early and often. We have to keep their offense off the field.
That's exactly why I think Saunders has more to do with beating Indy than Gunther does.

With a few exceptions, Indy is going to score points -- that's just a fact. And the best way to keep them from scoring a ton is to not let them have the ball that often.

If KC can play ball-control and let the big guys upfront pound on Indy's undersized Dline, then good things can happen.

I'm just afraid that Saunders will see the Colt's weak secondary and start throwing the ball all over the field. Sure, the Chiefs can score points that way, but they need to prevent this from turing into a shootout.

MM

chiefsfolife
10-29-2004, 01:47 PM
f#ck the colts

philfree
10-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Bar-tee and McPassOn—

McCleon is out so it's up to Benny Sapp and Battle to get it done at .05back.

PhilFree :arrow:

Mark M
10-29-2004, 01:49 PM
McCleon is out so it's up to Benny Sapp and Battle to get it done at .05back.

:doh!: Thanks for correcting me. :redface:

Actually, I like Sapp's chances much more than McPasson's -- he's more physical, which is one way to disrupt Indy's WRs.

MM

jiveturkey
10-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Chiefs Thoughts by Captain Obvious. nlm :Peace:

The Chiefs will have to force the Colts to punts at least once in this game.

philfree
10-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Actually, I like Sapp's chances much more than McPasson's -- he's more physical, which is one way to disrupt Indy's WRs.

Sapp seems to have that cocky CB mentality. It's nice to see that in our secondary for a change.

the Talking Can
10-29-2004, 02:01 PM
the most important thing is the play of our DL....we have to get pressure for 4 quarters, we can't live on the blitz because Manning will pick it apart....Browning/Sims/Dalton/Allen have to create chaos to give our pass coverage an edge

and, of course, we can help the DL to stay fresh by running the ball down their throats

Mark M
10-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Chiefs Thoughts by Captain Obvious. nlm :Peace:

The Chiefs will have to force the Colts to punts at least once in this game.

Mental note: Kick jiveturkey in the nuts next time you see him ...

MM
~~nlm

tk13
10-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Obviously Edge needs to be contained... if he goes off you're almost certain to lose. The scary part with the Colts is that you can contain him and they'll still whip you through the air.

I think we can pass the ball successfully in this game, but there is something to say for running the football and keeping Peyton off the field, especially considering just how well we ran the ball in the playoff game last year. If it was a tighter game and we weren't playing from behind the whole time, Priest would've had over 200 rushing yards in that game.

jiveturkey
10-29-2004, 02:24 PM
We're going to have to score more points than the Colts this weekend. :thumb:

Ghostof
10-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Um

No one has talked about the special teams.

IMHO...they need to step up! This isnt pointed to Dante...this is pointed to stopping the returns for touchdowns.

Cormac
10-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Turn the game over to our O-line. Pound the ball down their throats. Knock their undersized defenders on their a$$e$ all day. Mix in some screens. Throw a ball to Gonzalez when they put 8 in the box. Whatever we do, we have to put together some long 10-12 play drives.

I think our D can force some punts this time. I am worried about our health at LB though. Fujita has been slowed significantly since the ankle injury, and Mitchell is back in place of Beisel.

In this case, I think our D is good enough to keep us in it, but it's up to our O to win it.....by playing smart-ball.

JMO.

Tinlar
10-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Here is the real deal...

the offense we are facing is very talented and can score very very fast.

The run game pays off slowly and when you have a fresh offense and a fresh defense on the field might not match their points early... especially if we three and out. If we find ourselves down by more than two touchdowns we have to go airborn to try and catch up then we are in a shootout and we are probably screwed.

Entire first half we need to come in with a balanced offense, depending on short passes to keep the chains moving while mixing in enough run to give our line a chance to work some bruises into their front guys.

In the third quarter if we are winning or if we are down by 10 or less, then we go to smash mouth football. Hold the ball, beat their front guys into dust. Exploit weaknesses in their run D that we hopefully found in the first half. We either put the game away or beat our way back into it.

In the fourth if we are up the we stay with smash mouth and win it. If we are down on the score board then move to play action after we have already established that we intend to run hard. Now would be a good time to introduce some screens that they have not seen all game long.

Tinlar
10-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Why is it that the threads I want to participate in die on page two while almost any thread about BBQ or a wounded poodle will run for 30+ pages.

Nightfyre
10-29-2004, 05:39 PM
I agree 100% about Al Saunders controlling the destiny to this game. If the offense goes on vacation, you can expect a long day for our defense........the old saying..the best defense is a good offense......it really does count!!!!
Umm... wasnt it "The best offense is a good defense?"
At anyrate, i will initiate a petition to have the bartee smilie removed if he plays well this game. I hope Sapp and Battle can step it up as well. It would be nice to find a couple diamond cornerbacks in teh rough, and Indy would be a great place to make that discovery.

Take their heart and soul gun.
AS... you just run the damn ball 40-50 times. OR ELSE.

Gaz
10-30-2004, 06:18 AM
I fully expect our CBs to be thoroughly abused by the Colts. It is the height of optimism to think that the Chiefs Defense is going to do more than annoy the Colts Offense.

Still, “annoyance” would be a HUGE improvement from the last game.

We had a shot at winning the previous game despite fielding the worst Defense in the league. The improvement wrought by Gunther’s scheme and the re-invigoration of the inconsistent Chiefs Offense give me hope.

However, this game will not be won or lost by the CBs. It will not be won or lost by the Defense, period. This game will be won or lost by the Offense showing up for a full game and keeping the Colts Offense off the field.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hopes the D & ST will chip in some.

FloridaChief
10-30-2004, 06:45 AM
Why is it that the threads I want to participate in die on page two while almost any thread about BBQ or a wounded poodle will run for 30+ pages.

I've been wondering the same thing. Perhaps you need a new keyboard...