PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to fear the Chargers

RealSNR
10-31-2004, 10:42 PM
Anyone else?

Hammock Parties
10-31-2004, 10:43 PM
Yeah, a little bit.

Antonio Gates is a young Tony Gonzalez. Keenan McCardell and the surprising Eric Parker are a pretty good duo on the outside. Tim Dwight is a nice slot man.

Scary. And they beat Jacksonville.

At least we know we will sweep the Raiders. ROFL

VonneMarie
10-31-2004, 10:44 PM
No. I still see their end of the year fade as usual.

Pants
Yup, already posted the same thought in some other thread. But seeing how well we are doing against the run, I'm not all that afraid of LT. I'm sure Gun will come up with a plan to stop SD.

tk13
They put the screws to Jacksonville which nobody else has been able to do, I've thought just from watching them the first couple weeks of the season that they are a much better team. Drew Brees went 22-25 and 5 TD's today and nobody noticed. Couple that with Tomlinson, scary stuff....

nychief
10-31-2004, 10:45 PM
no...

DJay23
10-31-2004, 10:45 PM
nope, the chargers have never scared me, even when they were good.

nychief
10-31-2004, 10:46 PM
Drew Brees is going to come to earth with a THUD.

By the way, we are talking about a MARTY TEAM. yak.

morphius
10-31-2004, 10:47 PM
They are looking amazing sharp, but the Raiders have been making everyone look good. At least we hold our destiny in our hands if they lead the division.

gblowfish
10-31-2004, 10:47 PM
Quite frankly, don't worry about Marty. He may get you to the dance, but he'll break your heart every time. That much Chiefs and Browns fans can agree on. Charger fan will soon learn!

Ultra Peanut
10-31-2004, 10:49 PM
I've got Tomlinson, Chatman, and Gates on my fantasy team, so when they do well, I'm fairly happy with it. I want the Chiefs to come out in front, of course, but their success doesn't bother me right now.

Frazod
10-31-2004, 10:56 PM
Quite frankly, don't worry about Marty. He may get you to the dance, but he'll break your heart every time. That much Chiefs and Browns fans can agree on. Charger fan will soon learn!

True, but that's in the playoffs. He could flat out keep us out.

I don't fear the Chargers, but I respect them. They're playing damn good ball right now (certainly better than the Donx or Raiders).

Rausch
10-31-2004, 10:58 PM
The way we're playing right now, I fear no one...

Hammock Parties
10-31-2004, 10:58 PM
SD started 5-0 or something a couple years ago, didn't they?

nychief
10-31-2004, 10:59 PM
I think we are going to waste them... just my opinion.

VonneMarie
10-31-2004, 10:59 PM
The way we're playing right now, I fear no one...
That's what I wanna hear! :clap:

Dave Lane
10-31-2004, 11:01 PM
Anyone else?

Nope check it out every year they start 6-0 or 5-2 and then the second half of the season gets them. Like clockwork.

Dave

Ultra Peanut
10-31-2004, 11:17 PM
The way we're playing right now, I fear no one...Damn straight.

teedubya
10-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Come on... we killed the Colts today... The Chargers dont scare me... although you know that Marty wants to own us.

COCKRINGLEADER
10-31-2004, 11:30 PM
Chargers are paper tigers.. I fear no one in our division. The Raiders have lost the plot (did you see Sapp freak?), and Ponys and Chargers are overated. The NFL should be prepared, a sleeping giant is AWAKE!

Mr. Laz
11-01-2004, 12:19 AM
No. I still see their end of the year fade as usual.

who's their coach again?

Marty"no playoff win" shottenheimer

not really worried at all

ChiefsCountry
11-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Marty's the coach, I dont think Marty could win a state high school championship with a pro team.

ChiefFripp
11-01-2004, 01:13 AM
The Chargers have alot of weapons on offense now and we will have a hell of a time against them since Brees is playing nearly perfect now. They are kind of like us but with recievers who you'd expect to be a bit better than ours. I see two hard fought games ahead that I thought would be cake at the beginning of the season.

XXXshogunXXX
11-01-2004, 01:17 AM
thanx

Fairplay
11-01-2004, 01:22 AM
The Raiders played the worst team in football. I mean the worst.

Anyone can look good against them. We will defeat them. I have no doubt. Raiders, and im not jokeing, are absoulutely terrible.
The Raiders are imploding before the nation.

I wonder what RR thinks? Sad to be him now.

SoCalRaider
11-01-2004, 01:52 AM
The Raiders played the worst team in football. I mean the worst.

Anyone can look good against them. We will defeat them. I have no doubt. Raiders, and im not jokeing, are absoulutely terrible.
The Raiders are imploding before the nation.

I wonder what RR thinks? Sad to be him now.
Having watched the Joe Bugel 4-12 team, and the dumbest coach in America 4-12 team, I would say this year's Al Davis manufactured abortion is worst of the 3. Remember this is a Raider team that managed to lose 31-3 at home to the http://www.raiderforum.net/images/smiles/3.gif

This win by the Chargers really does not validate them as any threat to do anything. The Chargers still have no secondary... Even the "great" Jerry Porter got open today. I can't really say anything about their run defense since the Raiders haven't run the ball since September... but Drew Brees and that offense capitalized on a high school caliber opponent today.

el borracho
11-01-2004, 01:56 AM
SoCal,

Other than turnovers, what have been the Raidurrs problems this year?

SoCalRaider
11-01-2004, 02:05 AM
SoCal,

Other than turnovers, what have been the Raidurrs problems this year?
Offensively its been turnovers as a result of horrific QB play. Also Adam Treu is a long-snapper masquerading as a center, and so the Raiders can't really run the ball up the middle, or stop a blitz up the middle.

Defensively... well lets just say we've got 300lb DTs playing DE, 285lb DEs playing LB, and CBs playing Safety. You can guess who's responsible for all these "conversion" projects...

el borracho
11-01-2004, 02:09 AM
Offensively its been turnovers as a result of horrific QB play. Also Adam Treu is a long-snapper masquerading as a center, and so the Raiders can't really run the ball up the middle, or stop a blitz up the middle.

Defensively... well lets just say we've got 300lb DTs playing DE, 285lb DEs playing LB, and CBs playing Safety. You can guess who's responsible for all these "conversion" projects...
Sounds ugly. With all those giants in the lineup your D must move like it is in slow-motion. I haven't seen any of the Raidurrs games or even highlights. Any bright spots?

SoCalRaider
11-01-2004, 02:15 AM
Sounds ugly. With all those giants in the lineup your D must move like it is in slow-motion. I haven't seen any of the Raidurrs games or even highlights. Any bright spots?
Not a single positive to take away from the first 8 weeks...

XXXshogunXXX
11-01-2004, 02:39 AM
no secondary? they may be the weak part of the team but it doesnt mean they're the worst. Their statistical ranking is inflated by forcing the other teams to abandon the run. Jammer has been coming along nicely and shut down Porter today .sammy continues to struggle but he made up for it today with an INT and a few defected passes. His backup or replacement, Florence, is injured but has been solid in the 2nd CB spot. Kiel has been a force throughtout the year, but the FS spot is of the weaker side, but Hart did have an INT today. If the chargers have no secondary, then the raiders have 7 linebackers giving up 5 TD's to Brees and Co, while the bolts gave up only 1 passing TD in garbage time.

Nightfyre
11-01-2004, 03:33 AM
Rivals always worry me. It tends to be more of a crapshoot when rivals play. At any rate, our offense is a powerhouse and the Chargers got NO defense. I am also going to say if we shut down tomlinson and pressure the QB, we will crush their offense. Not to mention GUN KNOWS MARTY IN AND OUT!!!! HE COACHED UNDER HIM FOR HOW LONG?! This is of HUGE advantage to us going into this game.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2004, 06:07 AM
Marty Shottenheimer still coaches this team right??? No....I dont fear them at all.

WilliamTheIrish
11-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Even the "great" Jerry Porter got open today.

San Diego has a William B.artee CB?

That was an ugly, ugly performance yesterday.

Bowser
11-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Fear them? What, did they find "The Gleam?"?

No, I don't fear them. I will give props to Drew Brees to come out and pla the way he has, especially with Phillip Rivers breathing down his neck.

BreesLightning
11-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Rivals always worry me. It tends to be more of a crapshoot when rivals play. At any rate, our offense is a powerhouse and the Chargers got NO defense. I am also going to say if we shut down tomlinson and pressure the QB, we will crush their offense. Not to mention GUN KNOWS MARTY IN AND OUT!!!! HE COACHED UNDER HIM FOR HOW LONG?! This is of HUGE advantage to us going into this game.

Before posting your idiotic rubbish why don't you atleast do some homework homer. We have the #1 rushing defense in the nfl. We also have the #1 scoring offense in the nfl not to mention the third rated passer. We have also beat two of the teams that kicked your ass this season(JAX and Hou). Always amazes me how utterly stupid some fans are. No offense to the rest of you.

KCTitus
11-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Before posting your idiotic rubbish why don't you atleast do some homework homer. We have the #1 rushing defense in the nfl. We also have the #1 scoring offense in the nfl. We have also beat two of the teams that kicked your ass this season(JAX and Hou). Always amazes me how utterly stupid some fans are. No offense to the rest of you.

One word: Marty.

When the games mean something, that #1 scoring offense will crap its pants and the #1 rushing defense will disappear.

Dont come here spouting...we know all about Marty.

the Talking Can
11-01-2004, 08:08 AM
Before posting your idiotic rubbish why don't you atleast do some homework homer. We have the #1 rushing defense in the nfl. We also have the #1 scoring offense in the nfl not to mention the third rated passer. We have also beat two of the teams that kicked your ass this season(JAX and Hou). Always amazes me how utterly stupid some fans are. No offense to the rest of you.

Atlanta had the #1 rushing defense once....so I heard

BreesLightning
11-01-2004, 08:13 AM
One word: Marty.

When the games mean something, that #1 scoring offense will crap its pants and the #1 rushing defense will disappear.

Dont come here spouting...we know all about Marty.

Yeah, kind of like what happened to the Chiefs last year right?

Anyways, if you think this is the same old marty ball you guys are use to, you are in for a surprise. This is a well balanced passing AND rushing team at the moment. They kind of remind me of the early 90's dallas cowboys.

I guess we will all see when we play each other. It should be a great game that could go either way.

the Talking Can
11-01-2004, 08:14 AM
They kind of remind me of the early 90's dallas cowboys.

umm, yeah.......

BreesLightning
11-01-2004, 08:18 AM
umm, yeah.......

What I meant was the young team that was developing into the powerhouse. Compare the skill positions and the team chemistry to those and the way they play and you will see that is a fair comparison.

the Talking Can
11-01-2004, 08:20 AM
What I meant was the young team that was developing into the powerhouse. Compare the skill positions and the team chemistry to those and the way they play and you will see that is a fair comparison.

umm, yeah.....

Skip Towne
11-01-2004, 08:27 AM
umm, yeah.....
I agree with this assessment.

KCTitus
11-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Yeah, kind of like what happened to the Chiefs last year right?

Anyways, if you think this is the same old marty ball you guys are use to, you are in for a surprise. This is a well balanced passing AND rushing team at the moment. They kind of remind me of the early 90's dallas cowboys.

I guess we will all see when we play each other. It should be a great game that could go either way.

Yeah, kind of...and kind of like 95 and 97 as well.

Marty has a special playbook he pulls out come playoff big game time with plays the team has never practiced and uses those plays in the games. Suddenly, the team looks like the keystone kops...

Better yet, dont take my word for it.

OldTownChief
11-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Yeah, kind of...and kind of like 95 and 97 as well.

Marty has a special playbook he pulls out come playoff big game time with plays the team has never practiced and uses those plays in the games. Suddenly, the team looks like the keystone kops...

Better yet, dont take my word for it.

If they do happen to make the playoffs, I can't wait to read about how everyone in SD wants to kill him after the game...kinda like after the last two seasons.

ROYC75
11-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Somewhere along the way marty will stop that 2nd half fade in SD. I don't fear the game in KC, The @ SD game can get really tough !

Otter
11-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Marty Shottenheimer still coaches this team right??? No....I dont fear them at all.

Last I checked we still had 2 regular season games against them. I wouldn't brush them off just yet.

HC_Chief
11-01-2004, 10:38 AM
This SD team is different than any team Marty has had... they have a real offensive philosphy. Their O is very much like KC's and thus far, Bress has run it very well (thought he would... that's why I was hoping we could snag him in FA, now it looks like that will be impossible).

I don't think they're as good as they have appeared recently, especially versus the faiduhz... Marty owns their ass. I do think they will be a tough team to beat. KC had better be on its "A" game if they want to hand the Chargettes a pair of Ls.

jspchief
11-01-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm not scared of SD as an opponent as much as a rival for a play-off spot. One of the reasons we've held out hope for reaching the play-offs inspite of a poor start was a weak division. So far, the division doesn't look that weak. Combine that with the AFC South looking like it will send two teams into the post-season, and the margin for error gets smaller. If SD keeps winning, and Denver doesn't meltdown (I think they will), KC could be a great team that's watching the NFL on TV in January.

As far as actual head-to-head, I'm not as worried. LT has been KC's bitch ever since he's been in SD, with a 1-5 record against us.

2bikemike
11-01-2004, 10:54 AM
It always seem to me the Chargers have a second half of the season melt down. I will start to fear them if they are still winning when they come to town.

The thing the Chargers have done is gotten a little better on the offensive line. They had terrible pass protection for years. They have also fielded a pretty respectable defense.

They may have turned the corner but I would like to see how the second half of the season plays out.

ROYC75
11-01-2004, 11:23 AM
SD remaining schedule is kinda weak........

Date Opponent Time/Result
Sep 12 @Houston Won 27-20
Sep 19 N.Y. Jets Lost 28-34
Sep 26 @Denver Lost 13-23
Oct 3 Tennessee Won 38-17
Oct 10 Jacksonville Won 34-21
Oct 17 @Atlanta Lost 20-21
Oct 24 @Carolina Won 17-6
Oct 31 Oakland Won 42-14
Nov 7 New Orleans 4:05pm
Week 10 BYE
Nov 21 @Oakland 4:05pm
Nov 28 @Kansas City 1:00pm
Dec 5 Denver 4:05pm
Dec 12 Tampa Bay 4:15pm
Dec 19 @Cleveland 1:00pm
Dec 26 @Indianapolis 1:00pm
Jan 2 Kansas City 4:15pm

We must sweep them to hold our own. 2 losses plus an Indy loss is probally all they will have.

They get us once, it could be a 11-5 for them.

HC_Chief
11-01-2004, 11:35 AM
SD remaining schedule is kinda weak........

@KC, Denver, @Cleveland and @Indy should be an L for them. Barring a second-half meltdown, I see the KC @ SD as a tough one with HUGE playoff implications.

ROYC75
11-01-2004, 11:41 AM
@KC, Denver, @Cleveland and @Indy should be an L for them. Barring a second-half meltdown, I see the KC @ SD as a tough one with HUGE playoff implications.

All I know is that KC 2 times, and Denver 1 time , along with Indy, they should lose 3 of those games, BTA, they could win them.

That team is young, but they are riding high and confident right now. Scoring at will on the lesser know teams. To say they will lose in Cleveland, I can't say. They can be anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5.

We must beat them twice to have our chances at the division title, I don't want to fight the tie breakers for a WC spot.

Bearcat
11-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Nope check it out every year they start 6-0 or 5-2 and then the second half of the season gets them. Like clockwork.

Dave

Yeah... I started fearing them last year when they were 4-0, and the year before that when they were 6-2.....

morphius
11-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Odd, NFL stats has you as third in Scoring Offense, behind Indy and KC and you just lost to a team 21-20 that we gave up 3 points to defensively and scored 56 points on. Just a thought...

Nightfyre
11-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Funny shit... Atlanta had the number one rushing D before you... Did that help them? No I think we scored 58 points on them... You couldnt even beat them, let alone by 46 points. Your argument is therefore hypocritical-HOMER. And I didnt see your offense putting up over 100 points in the last two weeks, and you played worse teams than we did.
Another Fine point is that Jax and Houston didnt "kick our ass" they barely beat us. Our passer is also on the rise from a lousy 2 week start.
Dont bust my balls on this shit until youve checked yours eh?

highBOLTage
11-01-2004, 10:53 PM
It always seem to me the Chargers have a second half of the season melt down. I will start to fear them if they are still winning when they come to town.....

They may have turned the corner but I would like to see how the second half of the season plays out.

What are you talking about??? Last year we broke the meltdown trend and really turned it on the second half of the season: we had three times as many wins in the second half of the year as we did in the first half. ;)

Hammock Parties
11-01-2004, 10:56 PM
What are you talking about??? Last year we broke the meltdown trend and really turned it on the second half of the season: we had three times as many wins in the second half of the year as we did in the first half. ;)

Oh please. ROFL

highBOLTage
11-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Funny shit... Atlanta had the number one rushing D before you... Did that help them? No I think we scored 58 points on them... You couldnt even beat them, let alone by 46 points. Your argument is therefore hypocritical-HOMER. And I didnt see your offense putting up over 100 points in the last two weeks, and you played worse teams than we did.
Another Fine point is that Jax and Houston didnt "kick our ass" they barely beat us. Our passer is also on the rise from a lousy 2 week start.
Dont bust my balls on this shit until youve checked yours eh?

Whatever. You have lost to 3 teams we have beaten, we have lost to one that you have beaten. We both have lost to Denver, but I think the AFC West will come down to KC and SD.

highBOLTage
11-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Oh please. ROFL

Seriously, we were on fire the second half: 3 wins, only 5 losses. :)

TEX
11-01-2004, 11:09 PM
This SD team is different than any team Marty has had... they have a real offensive philosphy. Their O is very much like KC's and thus far, Bress has run it very well (thought he would... that's why I was hoping we could snag him in FA, now it looks like that will be impossible).

I don't think they're as good as they have appeared recently, especially versus the faiduhz... Marty owns their ass. I do think they will be a tough team to beat. KC had better be on its "A" game if they want to hand the Chargettes a pair of Ls.

I agree. Their offense is also like ours in many ways. I'm curious to see what happens to them once they play themselves into position to do something. :hmmm:

TEX
11-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Whatever. You have lost to 3 teams we have beaten, we have lost to one that you have beaten. We both have lost to Denver, but I think the AFC West will come down to KC and SD.

It does matter in terms of tie breakers but trying to gather something from playing common opponents as a prelude to how the head to head matchup is going to go is foolish. Things change, injured players return, a team finds it's rythem, etc. This CHIEFS team is playing far better than the one that opened the season. We'll see how it turns out. :hmmm:

highBOLTage
11-01-2004, 11:36 PM
It does matter in terms of tie breakers but trying to gather something from playing common opponents as a prelude to how the head to head matchup is going to go is foolish. Things change, injured players return, a team finds it's rythem, etc. This CHIEFS team is playing far better than the one that opened the season. We'll see how it turns out. :hmmm:

Yes, I agree with all your points. I was just referring to the context of their "my team is better than yours because we beat so and so" conversation.

Nightfyre
11-02-2004, 03:59 AM
Yes, I agree with all your points. I was just referring to the context of their "my team is better than yours because we beat so and so" conversation.
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I was using that to point out that Breeslightning was using a hypocritical argument. Sorry if I came off otherwise.

KcMizzou
11-02-2004, 04:06 AM
Whoa... a new Chargers fan?

What's that make? Two registered here now?

Man, we're just getting FLOODED. They'll go away when their team remembers that they suck.

Nightfyre
11-02-2004, 04:07 AM
They'll go away when their team remembers that they suck.
Theyll be here for the whole week up to the first game, then never come back after we thrash them :D

tk13
11-02-2004, 04:07 AM
Just gotta take care of our business and not look at everybody's record. If we go 12-4 or 11-5, maybe 10-6, a playoff spot should be there.... that's how you have to look at it I think, not what everybody else's record is and what they can do. I still think we control our destiny, granted we have little margin for error, but right now I just want to beat Tampa to get to .500... the rest of that crap will sort itself out as the season progresses, everybody in the AFC isn't going 13-3.

Hammock Parties
11-02-2004, 04:14 AM
Just gotta take care of our business and not look at everybody's record. If we go 12-4 or 11-5, maybe 10-6, a playoff spot should be there.... that's how you have to look at it I think, not what everybody else's record is and what they can do. I still think we control our destiny, granted we have little margin for error, but right now I just want to beat Tampa to get to .500... the rest of that crap will sort itself out as the season progresses, everybody in the AFC isn't going 13-3.

[/rationalize]

ROFL

tk13
11-02-2004, 04:18 AM
[/rationalize]

ROFL
Say what?

KcMizzou
11-02-2004, 04:20 AM
Say what? He's just being a contrarion.

Hammock Parties
11-02-2004, 04:22 AM
He's just being a contrarion.

This is being a contrarian:

Just gotta not take care of our business and look at everybody's record. If we go 3-13 or 4-12, maybe 5-11, a playoff spot won't be there.... that's how you have to look at it I think, what everybody else's record is and what they can't do. I still don't think we control our destiny, granted we have lots margin for error, but right now I just want to lose to get under .500... the rest of that crap won't sort itself out as the season progresses, everybody in the AFC is going 13-3.

Skip Towne
11-02-2004, 07:02 AM
He's just being a contrarion.
Hey, Phobia's new word is catching on.

Baby Lee
11-02-2004, 07:48 AM
1. If SD pushes us out of the playoff picture, SD's fortunes in the playoffs will be a distant echo.
2. It must be nice to go through life knowing that the past will continue to play out in the future. Schottenheimer's bad luck in the playoffs can be counted on to continue forever. DV's ability to get teams to the SB will likewise guarantee us a berth. :rolleyes:

KCTitus
11-02-2004, 07:53 AM
'bad luck' <> changing the playbook going into the playoffs.

redbrian
11-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Somewhere along the way marty will stop that 2nd half fade in SD. I don't fear the game in KC, The @ SD game can get really tough !

Very true, although I respect what Marty has done and he will bring in a well coached team, the Arrowhead game will not be a cake walk.

The Chiefs far to often have found a way to lose those away Charger games.

The Chargers are an up and coming team unlike the faiders, who now own the cellar of the west.

htismaqe
11-02-2004, 08:27 AM
This is being a contrarian:

Just gotta not take care of our business and look at everybody's record. If we go 3-13 or 4-12, maybe 5-11, a playoff spot won't be there.... that's how you have to look at it I think, what everybody else's record is and what they can't do. I still don't think we control our destiny, granted we have lots margin for error, but right now I just want to lose to get under .500... the rest of that crap won't sort itself out as the season progresses, everybody in the AFC is going 13-3.

SHUT UP.