PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Called the 4th Down Play When the Colts Were Down 10 Inside the Redzone

RINGLEADER
11-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Remember, late in the fourth quarter when the Colts were down 10 and inside the redzone. The normal play would have been to kick a field goal and get down one score, but evidently Peyton wasn't going to listen to the coaches...sounds like the Colts are a loss or two more away from a full-scale mutiny in Indy:

---clip---

They are out of options. They have to play as if their defense is stuck in stadium traffic. They have to approach every game like they need 50 points to win.

Manning recognized pretty early Sunday his offense was going to need extraordinary measures to overcome both Kansas City's defense and his own.

Did you see him gesture angrily when Dungy decided to punt with the Colts trailing by 10 and fourth-and-six at the Indy 48 with more than 11 minutes remaining? Did that look like someone who trusted the defense to get him the ball back with a 10-point deficit?

Then came fourth-and-3 at the Chiefs' six-yard line, 5:31 remaining and the Colts down 10 points. In a two-score game, the smart move there was to take the easy three points. But no. Manning was going for it. The only thing that saved a truly bad decision was a great result. And even then …

"I told the offense, {grave}Y'all stay right there (on the field),' " Manning said. "They were going to have to pull us off. I know he (Dungy) wouldn't have wanted to burn a time out."

Manning quickly wanted it made clear that Dungy gave the decision his blessing.

Anybody else buying that?

---clip---

http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/190928-8955-196.html

HolmeZz
11-01-2004, 12:30 AM
Should've taken the 3. Could've used the points for Vanderjagt in my fantasy league. :shake:

tk13
11-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Let's not kid ourselves, Manning runs the show. He's probably the most "Type A" personality of the bunch, considering Dungy and Tom Moore have the charisma and intensity of a wooden coatrack. Remember last year in the playoff game at one point Tom Moore and Peyton got into it on the sideline after that possession where the Chiefs D actually held them to a FG. Last week Reggie Wayne said something and Peyton didn't like it. The man has ego like the rest of his family no doubt, and now he has the cash to go with it. He is the franchise, and I'd venture to guess he probably has more say in what goes on than any one player should have. The guy willingly signed a contract with a signing bonus that his team did not have the funds to cover (the owner had to cover some of it from his own pockets - horrible business move) and made it so they couldn't add any defensive help... or help, period... even through the draft (they traded down repeatedly until they had one mid-2nd rounder and some 3rd-4th rounders).

cheeeefs
11-01-2004, 02:02 AM
no chit. Indy deserves the D they have. Giving Payton that much money was idiotic. He's good, but this is a TEAM sport and he can't win a superbowl without getting other players to help him out. No one is going to do it for peanuts.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2004, 06:14 AM
Yea, There are rumors in Indy, I guess they have been there awhile now that Manning is the "REAL" coach of this team. Basically he calls all the plays and overrules the coach and offensive coordinator. Nice.....I know he is "Gods Gift to Football" and everything but thats low. That punk needs a serious slap of reality. He kept waving off his punt unit on every 4th down yesterday too...I wouldnt be surprised if "HE" was the one who called for the fake punt as well. Arrogant ass.

Bob Dole
11-01-2004, 06:18 AM
Yea, There are rumors in Indy, I guess they have been there awhile now that Manning is the "REAL" coach of this team. Basically he calls all the plays and overrules the coach and offensive coordinator. Nice.....I know he is "Gods Gift to Football" and everything but thats low. That punk needs a serious slap of reality. He kept waving off his punt unit on every 4th down yesterday too...I wouldnt be surprised if "HE" was the one who called for the fake punt as well. Arrogant ass.

One of their linebackers (Rob Morris) called the fake punt.

Eleazar
11-01-2004, 06:36 AM
They were talking on the radio postgame show about how Manning had waved off the punt team after dungy sent them on. Is he really not the coach? why would you let a player, any player do that?

WilliamTheIrish
11-01-2004, 06:39 AM
They handed him the money. Ot at the very least, agreed to pay it.

No sense blaming the recipient. The guy threw for 500 on us and he could do it any time he pleases.

He's good. As much as I dislike the Colts, I have a healthy respect for Manning's ability.