PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Notes: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is a season ticket holder

the Talking Can
11-01-2004, 06:48 AM
link (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/10066392.htm)

Posted on Mon, Nov. 01, 2004
\
OVERHEARD AT ARROWHEAD

Back-to-back losses leave Colts in ‘uncharted territory'

JEFFREY FLANAGAN

There were many reasons for a stunned Colts locker room beneath Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday.

First, the Colts gained 505 yards of offense and somehow lost. Second, they hadn't lost to the Chiefs in almost 20 years.

And third, the Colts hadn't lost back-to-back games since 2002.

“It's a weird feeling, pretty much uncharted territory,” Colts quarterback Peyton Manning said. “It hurts. It stings. But it's always a challenge playing these guys, and you really feel like you spend a lot of energy out there. It's a lot of work.”

Some Colts said they thought Sunday's 45-35 loss to the Chiefs was reminiscent of the playoff game here last January.

“Same atmosphere, same crowd noise,” Colts cornerback Nick Harper said. “But the truth is, it's a just regular-season game. It's not the end of the world.”

But Manning said the offensive approach was similar to a playoff game, especially because of the opponent.

“It's almost like you're not playing against a defense,” he said. ”Really, you're playing against the clock because you have to have the feeling you're going to score on every possession.

“That's not a knock on our defense. That's a credit to the Chiefs' offense. They make you adjust your thinking because you know they're capable of scoring on every possession, so you have to think that way, too.”

And despite the fact that Manning threw for a career-high 472 yards, he and the Colts believed they could have done more.

“We left some points and some plays out there,” wide receiver Reggie Wayne said. “We didn't convert on some third downs. We could have done more. We needed to.”

Although the Colts lost their second straight and fell to 4-3, they weren't about to panic.

“Look around the NFL right now,” Wayne said. “Teams are going up, teams are going down. Look at these guys (the Chiefs). They were down, and now they're coming back. You just have to keep coming back. That's what this league is about.”

The Colts should realize, though, that their defense needs work.

“It's not lack of talent or lack of effort,” Colts coach Tony Dungy said. “We're just not fundamentally sound right now. That has to get fixed.

“But that's a pretty good offense over there. Those guys have done that to a lot of teams. What we had hoped to do is hold Priest Holmes down and keep them from executing on third down.”

The Colts did neither.

“I thought we were in position to get off the field,” said linebacker David Thornton. “But they made some big plays when they had to. They've got a big offensive line, and they do a good job.”

Dungy apparently feared the Chiefs' offense as much as anyone. He gambled by calling a fake punt near midfield early in the game that didn't come close to being converted. Punter Hunter Smith, who didn't punt at all in the playoff game, took off for the right side but was stuffed well short of the first down.

“I knew we were in trouble on that,” Smith said. “I knew it wasn't going to work when I got up there. (The Chiefs) didn't vacate that side, and it's pretty tough for our (gunner) to block those defensive backs. I didn't have much of a chance.”

With less than 6 minutes to play in the game and the Colts down by 10, Dungy had the Colts go for fourth and 3 from the Chiefs' 6. Actually, it seemed more as if Manning did, overruling Dungy and sending the Colts' field-goal team back to the sideline.

“Actually, I thought maybe the third-down pass was incomplete and it was going to be fourth and 10,” Dungy said. “So when I found out it wasn't, going for it seemed the better play.”

Manning then hooked up with Wayne for a 6-yard touchdown, bringing the Colts back within 38-35.

“That was a play we just drew up in the dirt in the huddle,” Manning said. “That wasn't in the playbook. Reggie just did his thing, and I got it to him.”

The Chiefs had a special guest Sunday — perhaps the second-most powerful person on the planet. That would be the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Richard B. Myers.

Myers was born in Kansas City and was a graduate of Kansas State.

Believe it or not, he's a Chiefs season-ticket holder.

“His family has had season tickets for over 30 years,” Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt said. “Now the tickets have been passed on to him. Obviously he can't make it that often, but we love having him — he's 1-0 in winning coin flips for us.”