PDA

View Full Version : The day after. Is the defense gonna burn us or help us?

BigRedChief
11-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Okay so they made Indy punt.

They looked fantastic in the first half. They looked like last years defensive unit in the second half.

IMHO the front 7 are getting it done using Gunther's scheme. I think that maybe we do have the players that can make us middle of the pak in defense with Gunther's scheme and attitude.

The DL will be fine.

Mitchell and Biesel have contributed to help with the loss of Maz. Gunther is letting them attack the QB. I think we are going to be fine there.

Where I have concerns is the secondary. WTF our the safties? Wesley's interception? give me a break. Peyton threw it right at him. They are continually late to get over to help out the corners. and they are missing too many tackles in the run game.

Warfield is fine. Great so far this season. McCleon is toast. Bartee has finally learned to turn his head around and he has played good the last 2 games but the jury is still out on him. Battle, Sapp just are not ready yet.

I think we should have got a corner in the off season and that it's gonna burn us later. Just like we knew that kicker (who's name we won't mention) was going to burn us sooner or later.

But the offense can cover a lot of blown coverages by the secondary. It's a toss up IMHO.

ArrowheadHawk
11-01-2004, 08:42 AM
the defence will be fine

the Talking Can
11-01-2004, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure what happened to our safties yesterday..they looked bad...Woods has aged 10 years in the offseason

Saulbadguy
11-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Why did I see Kawika Mitchell covering Marvin Harrison on more than a few occasions?

Frankie
11-01-2004, 08:44 AM
We played against arguably THE BEST offense we'll face all year. And the 'D' is starting to gel. I think we will be OK, as long as the 'O' doesn't let up.

King_Chief_Fan
11-01-2004, 08:46 AM
The offense and defense both have to be hitting a certain target.
Yesterday, you saw that when playing a powerhouse O.

The defense did not take us out of the game like Indy's did.
Chiefs D did that last year.

The D will not win us any games.....but keep us in them, yes!

BigRedChief
11-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Why did I see Kawika Mitchell covering Marvin Harrison on more than a few occasions?

:shake: Talk about your mismatches....

redbrian
11-01-2004, 09:00 AM
The offense and defense both have to be hitting a certain target.
Yesterday, you saw that when playing a powerhouse O.

The defense did not take us out of the game like Indy's did.
Chiefs D did that last year.

The D will not win us any games.....but keep us in them, yes!

Unlike some teams of past this D is not required to win games, it only needs to get the other side off the field, this D can do that.

Give credit to the Colts they made adjustments at the half, Gun was unable to completly adjust to those changes, but hey they did five things yeasterday that the team last year didn't do once.

Chris Meck
11-01-2004, 09:05 AM
I disagree that the defense won't win us any games. I'll even say that they won us THIS game-despite the furious Colts rally of the second half.

Why do you think Peyton Manning threw that pass right to Wesley? Mightn't it have been because of the pressure of the defensive line all day long?

Mightn't the fact that we held James to 33 yards in the first half have had something to do with the fact that the Colts didn't even attempt a run in the entire second half-thereby making them entirely one dimensional?

Look, that's as good an offense as we'll see all year. Manning is about as good as QB's get. That's as good a receiver group as there is. But when we absolutely HAD to get a stop, we did. I say that the pressure up front created that INT. Could've been at least 3, maybe four INT's over the course of the game-we just dropped a few (Mitchell, Warfield, Wesley all dropped one.) We come up with those balls and we're all shouting about how we whooped the Colts 56-10 today.

Chris

MOhillbilly
11-01-2004, 09:16 AM
I got that sinking feeling yesterday in the second half,but was thrilled to see the D not completely knuckle under.

All in all i thought the D played very well yesterday.

headsnap
11-01-2004, 09:18 AM
I disagree that the defense won't win us any games. I'll even say that they won us THIS game-despite the furious Colts rally of the second half.

Why do you think Peyton Manning threw that pass right to Wesley? Mightn't it have been because of the pressure of the defensive line all day long?

Mightn't the fact that we held James to 33 yards in the first half have had something to do with the fact that the Colts didn't even attempt a run in the entire second half-thereby making them entirely one dimensional?

Look, that's as good an offense as we'll see all year. Manning is about as good as QB's get. That's as good a receiver group as there is. But when we absolutely HAD to get a stop, we did. I say that the pressure up front created that INT. Could've been at least 3, maybe four INT's over the course of the game-we just dropped a few (Mitchell, Warfield, Wesley all dropped one.) We come up with those balls and we're all shouting about how we whooped the Colts 56-10 today.

Chris

ditto! :thumb:

CosmicPal
11-01-2004, 09:20 AM
The Chiefs were playing a zone D all day long, trying to cut off the slants in the middle and force Indy into the deep ball.

Wesley- who is a great ballplayer, had a terrible game. He was getting burned on too many plays. He did make the INT at the end and ran it back nicely, but I watched as he played one of his worst games- mostly because he was making all kinds of mental errors out there.

The D Line didn't do jack in the second half. I felt as though they didn't get enough pressure on Manning. But, then again- they did nothing but rush the passer all through the half. That is asking a lot out of your D- line, so you really can't blame them for tiring....

Woods played a good game and almost made a sweet catch on an INT.

Most importantly they forced them to punt a few times, and forced Manning to play catch-up all day long....The D didn't make a statement today, but they did do what we hoped they would do, and that is to stop an offense a couple of series so our offense can win. That much they did.

nmt1
11-01-2004, 09:26 AM
The Colts made adjustments at half-time that allowed Manning to have a little more time to throw the ball. If Manning has time, he's gonna find his receivers. We weren't going to shut them out yesterday. Heck, I'm surprised we held them under 40. The defense has a ways to go but we probably played the best offense we're going to see this season yesterday. They forced them into punting situations 5 times. They did their job.
Regarding the safeties, Gunther's defense calls for more man-to-man coverage, i.e. leaving the DB's by themselves. Hence, our safeties don't show up to help out until well into the play. It's a high risk, high reward defense. I like it much better than last season's debacle.

chiefz
11-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Not every offense is this good.

The Colts put up 24 points against Jacksonville and New England's defense.

They average 302.9 passing yards per game and 31.1 points per game.

Here is a good note.

They also average 111.1 rushing yards per game, Sunday they only managed 33 rushing yards and no rushing TDs against us.

What does this mean?

They put up 505.5 total offensive yards against us.

You put together their rushing/passing yard averages and get 414 total yards of offense.

Generally they score 31.1 points per game on average.

They scored 35 points against the Chiefs Sunday while airing the ball out and taking lots of chances because they were behind the entire game.

So esstentially in a game that they were behind and having to go deep to catch up in they were able to put up 91 total yards more offense than they average and 3.9 more points than they normally average.

I will take that considering we just offensively outscored the number one scoring offense and #2 overall offensive team in the league.