DaKCMan AP
11-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Total D: 20
Pass D: 22
Rush D: 15

and I could care less :)

Saulbadguy
11-01-2004, 09:58 AM
I care. We gave up 500 some yards. That is cause for concern..thankfully next week we play a poor offensive team.

penguinz
11-01-2004, 09:59 AM
How is it a cause for concern? Indy lights it up against every D they play.

Garcia Bronco
11-01-2004, 10:03 AM
From 18...to 9...to 20...oh my

the Talking Can
11-01-2004, 10:07 AM
20 sounds about right....hopefully we can be 15th or 16th by the end of the season....with our talent level that would be amazing

DaKCMan AP
11-01-2004, 10:07 AM
I care. We gave up 500 some yards. That is cause for concern..thankfully next week we play a poor offensive team.

We gave up 500yards to a team that didn't run the ball a single time in the 2nd half and averages 414yds a game. We also gave up 35pts while Indy averages 31. We got the win, it wasn't a horrible defensive performance. It was great in the beginning, stopping them on 3 of their first 4 possessions. We wont face another offense like theirs the rest of the season.

Saulbadguy
11-01-2004, 10:09 AM
We gave up 500yards to a team that didn't run the ball a single time in the 2nd half and averages 414yds a game. We also gave up 35pts while Indy averages 31. We got the win, it wasn't a horrible defensive performance. It was great in the beginning, stopping them on 3 of their first 4 possessions. We wont face another offense like theirs the rest of the season.
You would think if they weren't going to run the ball at all, we'd "play the pass"...

HC_Chief
11-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Woods and Wesley were taken advantage of yesterady. The 2-TE set in the second half, coupled with play action, effectively neutralized them... putting the corners in one-on-one coverage. The corners were then simply beat by their man. Without safety help, they gave up huge plays. When the safeties <i>did</i> rotate over to help the corners, the TEs shredded the zone underneath. The result was a 500yd passing day for Indy. (it also didn't help that KC received bullshit flags over & over on third/fourth down, extending Indy drives)

Tinlar
11-01-2004, 10:14 AM
You play the colts and your D drops at least 5 spots. It happens and isn't a cause for concern. Or D will bounce back big time next week.

BigMeatballDave
11-01-2004, 10:21 AM
I care. We gave up 500 some yards. That is cause for concern..thankfully next week we play a poor offensive team.I sure hope you didn't think we were gonna hold them to under 300 total for the game...

ROYC75
11-01-2004, 10:22 AM
It's going to drop against Indy. We knew this going in, everybody's D suffers against Indy.

Nature of the beast !

Saulbadguy
11-01-2004, 10:22 AM
I sure hope you didn't think we were gonna hold them to under 300 total for the game...
I'm not totally disheartened by our d's perfomance, but i'm somewhat concerned.

KingPriest2
11-01-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm not totally disheartened by our d's perfomance, but i'm somewhat concerned.

You also have to take into account our D stopped them but the refs called those PI calls on us that weren't right. They kept the drives going. I went back and watched the tape and there were some plays that there should have been delay of game called but wasn't. I found it convienent that CBS really did not show the play clock but they did only on a few occasions

Mr. Kotter
11-01-2004, 10:40 AM
You play the colts and your D drops at least 5 spots. It happens and isn't a cause for concern. Or D will bounce back big time next week.

I agree. Indy is tough to guage our Defense against....especially when Gunther has been emphasizing stopping the run so much.

Now that it appears we have "fixed" that, hopefully we will turn our attention to "fixing" the pass "D." :hmmm:

2bikemike
11-01-2004, 10:49 AM
I am not concerned too much. It is tough for any D to hold the Horseshoe heads down. The D did an excellent job the first half IMHO and did not do well on the adjustment in the second half. That was the scariest offense we will face this year.

There is only one offense that is scarier and our defense only has to face them in practice.

Iowanian
11-01-2004, 10:54 AM
I said in the preseason, if the Chiefs Defense could get to 20th, they'd be contenders.

After next week vs Tampa, the D will climb the charts again....their offense sucks.

el borracho
11-01-2004, 10:54 AM
The league has been trying to emphasize offense and it is working. Look at this week's passing leaders:

Plummer 499
Manning 472
Green 389
Favre 289
Brees 281
Carr 276
Brady 271

Our D has been steadily improving and will probably finish in the 10-15 range which is an amazing improvement, especially considering our horrible start the first two or three games.

Sure-Oz
11-01-2004, 10:56 AM
I am not concerned, this team has adjusted well and we played probably the best offense out there along with ours.

go bo
11-01-2004, 11:03 AM
I am not concerned too much. It is tough for any D to hold the Horseshoe heads down. The D did an excellent job the first half IMHO and did not do well on the adjustment in the second half. That was the scariest offense we will face this year.

There is only one offense that is scarier and our defense only has to face them in practice.:thumb: :clap: :clap: :clap:

good point!!!! :) :) :)

Cormac
11-01-2004, 11:10 AM
I am not bothered either, really. We got the win, and that is all that counts. We played better D in a couple of games and lost (Jax, Hou).

The only thing that concerns me a little is we started out well on D, but were killed in the second half. Meaning that Indy made effective adjustments, and we didn't counter. I thought we played a lot of soft zone coverage which wasn't thrilling to watch. Still, we won. There is no point in wondering how our D will hold up in the playoffs until we get there. Now we have a MUCH better chance.

:thumb:

King_Chief_Fan
11-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Woods and Wesley were taken advantage of yesterady. The 2-TE set in the second half, coupled with play action, effectively neutralized them... putting the corners in one-on-one coverage. The corners were then simply beat by their man. Without safety help, they gave up huge plays. When the safeties did rotate over to help the corners, the TEs shredded the zone underneath. The result was a 500yd passing day for Indy. (it also didn't help that KC received bullshit flags over & over on third/fourth down, extending Indy drives)

I agree with you, but lets be careful about complaining about the flags..........you don't want to sound like a Bronco fan do you?

bsp4444
11-01-2004, 01:53 PM
If we neutralized the run so well, and I think we did, why would our rushing defense ranking suffer too? I can't help but think some of these rankings are a little trendy.

Kylo Ren
11-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Total D: 20
Pass D: 22
Rush D: 15

and I could care less :) I know the D was ranked 9th, but what was our rushing and passing D before the Indy game?

tk13
11-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Kept biting on the playaction in the 2nd half, which obviously isn't good. I think everybody knows this defense isn't a finished product... and the 2nd half performance was disappointing. I would say I think the first half defensive performance was pretty good though, if it weren't illegal to even glance at Indy's recievers without a penalty this team might have held them to 7 points in the first half. Considering that 6-7 games ago we couldn't hold these guys to less than 7 points on a singular drive, that's a pretty good improvement.

That's the best offense we'll play all year, nobody else has weapons like them, they have two solid RB's, three very good WR's, and two solid pass catching TE's. I think at least the fact we won gives the D some confidence, while knowning that there's work to do... so I don't think they're going to get complacent.

And hey, as Gunther said, you gotta stop the run first.... we did and we won! Who cares if they throw for 675 yards... all hail Gunther! :)

Dave Lane
11-01-2004, 02:13 PM
I sure hope you didn't think we were gonna hold them to under 300 total for the game...

I don't care if they get 67,000,000 yards against our D. All we have to do is keep winning games. When we get 11 wins we can try for some style points on D. Till then win ugly, win by one I don't care how they do it just win!

Dave

Red Dawg
11-01-2004, 04:10 PM
It doesn't matter at this point. The defense will only get better. Woods, Warfield and Nitchell nedd to catch some practice balls because they had int's in their hands and dropped them. Get two of them and this game is a total blowout. We are a better defense than 20th. After the Tampa game we will back inside 15.

Megbert
11-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Yeah our D dropped in the rankings but what did our Offense do? I am sure facing a Pourous Colts D the O had to move up a couple of spots.