PDA

View Full Version : While you're thrashing the Defense

Old Dog
11-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Think of this. The KC defense is giving up an average of 81.8 rushing over the last 5 games (this would be 2nd in the league over that span). including the Denver (213) and Carolina (183) games they're giving up an average of 112.
This is better than the respected defenses of Miami, New England, and Tampa Bay.
Just something to think about.

Coogs
11-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Think of this. The KC defense is giving up an average of 81.8 rushing over the last 5 games (this would be 2nd in the league over that span). including the Denver (213) and Carolina (183) games they're giving up an average of 112.
This is better than the respected defenses of Miami, New England, and Tampa Bay.
Just something to think about.

:thumb: Just posted this over in another thread.

brent102fire
11-01-2004, 09:33 PM
If you want to thrash this years D, before you do that, go back and look at last years D under G Rob. :Lin: I think this D has come along way in 7 games under Gun. They are getting better every Sunday :toast:

Hammock Parties
11-01-2004, 09:35 PM
This D got beat several times on Sunday. BAD.

But the point is...they are forcing other teams to BEAT them...they are not beating themselves by barely even contesting the receivers like last year.

Not everyone has a Manning. I just hope we don't have to face him again in the playoffs.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Well, considering what Carl/Dick gave him to work with, I think that Gunther has done an unbeleivable job. What did Whitlock say? He made Chicken salad out of Chicken (You know what)

The reason they seem to be better this year is that they are not giving up the loooooong drives that GRobs D's would give up all the time. Our D would eventually get tired out in the and give up the huge plays in the 2nd half because they had been on the field forever. But thats all due to improved run defense of course. At least Gunther can figure out how to force a punt! They still have a long ways to go and need to do a better job of not letting teams convert on 3rd and long, but overall its much improved and hopefully will only get better as the season progresses.

Old Dog
11-02-2004, 05:56 AM
They still have a long ways to go and need to do a better job of not letting teams convert on 3rd and long, but overall its much improved and hopefully will only get better as the season progresses.

They are #6 in the NFL in 3rd down conversion percentage.

Bob Dole
11-02-2004, 06:23 AM
It doesn't hurt the number that over the past 2 weeks, our opponent has been forced to abandon the run to try to keep pace with the O.

That's not a slam, as Bob Dole feels much better about our defense this season. It's just an observation.

ARROW2
11-02-2004, 07:39 AM
It doesn't hurt the number that over the past 2 weeks, our opponent has been forced to abandon the run to try to keep pace with the O.

That's not a slam, as Bob Dole feels much better about our defense this season. It's just an observation.

Teams don't usually abandon the run when it is working. We are shutting the run down. That's where it all starts, like Gun said.

Chiefnj
11-02-2004, 08:05 AM
I think the D has definately improved but I don't think the run D is as good as people think. The Ravens only gave the ball to Lewis a limited amount of times and the Colts didn't have a single run the entire 2nd half of the game.

Bob Dole
11-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Teams don't usually abandon the run when it is working. We are shutting the run down. That's where it all starts, like Gun said.

You're right. If a team falls behind by 3 possessions, they usually want to grind it out and eat up clock time.

Bob Dole stands corrected.